Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: What do the Jets NEED. Who do the Jets need to go the next step?

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Who's Pouha in the grand scheme of things? He's not replacing Jenkins in the future.

    And why isn't Cody strong enough to play NT in the pros again? Game tape? On top of that, he's dumb too? Where'd this one come from? Are you just making things up at this point? Saban isn't an easy or simple coach to play for here...and the fact that he felt comfortable using Cody like he did says the exact opposite about Cody than what you're telling me.

    Also, Thomas and Hughes would be in the exact situation...Thomas isn't seeing the ball over Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, Leon, LT, and Greene on offense...Hughes isn't seeing the field over the 4 starting LBers, Gholston, and Westerman unless he absolutely blows people away. Same for DBs, where we have quite a few.

    We can do whatever we want on draft day...getting a guy we can build the post-Jenkins/Ellis DL around would be huge. Iunno why you wouldn't go to the source when fixing a problem...a defense and an offense is built on their lines and improving the lines improves every facet of it. I'd much rather have Cody at 29 than pretty much any other player we can get at 29, if we can actually get him at 29. His resume certainly sh*ts on most of the other options.
    Pouha is a stop gap until we can find another talented NT unlike Cody. I'm also not the only one that saying hes dumb:

    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...rence-Cody.php

    And at WR who is the 3rd option? no one? because Clowney and Smith cant run routes or catch? I like Thomas potential more than anyone else, but I know Tate is really what we need and are probably going to draft.

    You're right at OLB that's why I'm not arguing for Hughes or Kindle because they wouldn't find any playing time, but I'm also not opposed to going DE, OLB and OL on the 3rd day.

    And no were not stocked at CB. We need at least one more right now we only go 3 deep, 4 if you want to count Coleman. We NEED another CB hopefully from round 1 or two.

    And Cody is my worst nightmare scenario with any of our first two picks. I just dont like him as a prospect one bit. I feel he will bust and don't want another first rounder wasting space on our team.

  2. #22
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget about all the most important "needs" that can be filled by a rookie. Very seldom do rookies fill up a "need" in their first year other than O-lineman, and this fact is more true for WR than any other position. Seldomly a WR makes a big difference in their first year, ie Randy Moss, Percy Harvin (also as a return man).

    Our D was stout because of the play up front and domination of the line of scrimmage. I agree and am not content with our DBs, but I would love the pick of Cody at 29. What's the big difference b/w 29th in the first and a "second round talent?" Cody would be awesome in this scheme and provide much needed depth to the D-line. Having another tackle would be key in getting Devito to play more end.

    In the end, I don't believe our first round pick will be the difference in our success this year, and I really don't care who we pick! Our FO knows what they're doing. Besides, at 29th overall and the with the new regime, there will not be any Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp, Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino, Blair Thomas over Emmit Smith or anyone for that matter, and even Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha is a stop gap until we can find another talented NT unlike Cody. I'm also not the only one that saying hes dumb:
    Pouha isn't even a starting NT. The guy's been healthy for like one full season in his whole career.

    Wright poses a question in his post...again...probably based on the fact that he's fat...it's a totally baseless knock, which is why Wright doesn't take that any further than he does.

    And at WR who is the 3rd option? no one? because Clowney and Smith cant run routes or catch? I like Thomas potential more than anyone else, but I know Tate is really what we need and are probably going to draft.
    Dustin Keller is our 3rd pass catcher, WR or not. You don't have to have the job title of wide receiver to catch passes on the field, and Edwards, Cotchery, and Keller offer ample targets for Sanchez's sophomore season...everyone else is secondary...and Leon/LT lead the list of secondary guys who'll see passes on offense...so WR's already behind 5 guys.

    You're right at OLB that's why I'm not arguing for Hughes or Kindle because they wouldn't find any playing time, but I'm also not opposed to going DE, OLB and OL on the 3rd day.
    I don't get the 3rd day thing. You get talent where you get talent, and they already have 3rd day young talent on the DL. You can easily get a 3rd WR (6th pass catcher) to slide into the offense on the 3rd day, and that guy wouldn't have the stigma of having to live up to being a first round pick in NY/NJ.

    And no were not stocked at CB. We need at least one more right now we only go 3 deep, 4 if you want to count Coleman. We NEED another CB hopefully from round 1 or two.
    Or 3, or 4, or 5, or 6, or 7. This draft is loaded at CB too, and we just gave up a 2011 2nd/3rd for a 5th year veteran who's two seasons removed from 10 INTs. Not to mention that the organization has been very high on Lowery since they drafted him, and the pretty much locks up the nickel spot. We could just as easily be looking at a 4th/5th round corner like Arenas over one of the more highly rated CBs in the draft.

    And Cody is my worst nightmare scenario with any of our first two picks. I just dont like him as a prospect one bit. I feel he will bust and don't want another first rounder wasting space on our team.
    Well yea...if you're going to imagine a whole bunch of stuff about him, throw it out there because he's already fat and playing football (so he must be stupid too!), and force it to stick...of course you're not going to like him as a prospect. If you've actually watched Cody over the past two years and watched him develop under Saban, you'd see he's pretty much nothing like what you're describing. And mind you, I used to feel the exact same way about Cody and there's probably posts from me on this forum that back that up.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need a pass rushing OLB who can get to the QB without the use of a blitz and depth/upgrades on the D-line. Our D-line overachieved last year - to count on it doing the same is typical Jet fan raising the bar only to be disappointed.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Really? I'm a Benn fan. When I see him, I see a lot of Boldin. Physical guys with speed who can make a play. Wouldn't mind him at all at 29.
    Physically, Benn and Boldin are very similar -- Benn is probably faster. As football players, they're quite different, the astronomical discrepancy in production proves it.

    Boldin had one of the best rookie seasons a WR has ever had, mainly because he was a very, very good player in college. Benn won't have a season anywhere close to that. I guarantee it.

    Benn, despite his tremendous athletic ability, was never able to produce in college. His numbers are actually embarrassing for a guy that's being considered for the 1st round. I'm not huge into stats, but 7 TDs in 3 full seasons isn't exactly what I would call a playmaker. And it's not like he never got the ball.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Benn also is a body catcher...just a terrible habit to have as a WR...Boldin had it when he was younger though and still does it once in a while.

    He's also one of the more hyped HS guys in recent memory, and gets alot of praise for his work ethic and maturity. He also is arguably the best YAC guy in this draft...

    If I had to guess, I'd say he's a 2nd rounder...but he's the kind of WR someone would reach on given his pedigree.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-04-2010 at 08:32 PM.

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Pouha isn't even a starting NT. The guy's been healthy for like one full season in his whole career.



    Wright poses a question in his post...again...probably based on the fact that he's fat...it's a totally baseless knock, which is why Wright doesn't take that any further than he does.



    Dustin Keller is our 3rd pass catcher, WR or not. You don't have to have the job title of wide receiver to catch passes on the field, and Edwards, Cotchery, and Keller offer ample targets for Sanchez's sophomore season...everyone else is secondary...and Leon/LT lead the list of secondary guys who'll see passes on offense...so WR's already behind 5 guys.



    I don't get the 3rd day thing. You get talent where you get talent, and they already have 3rd day young talent on the DL. You can easily get a 3rd WR (6th pass catcher) to slide into the offense on the 3rd day, and that guy wouldn't have the stigma of having to live up to being a first round pick in NY/NJ.



    Or 3, or 4, or 5, or 6, or 7. This draft is loaded at CB too, and we just gave up a 2011 2nd/3rd for a 5th year veteran who's two seasons removed from 10 INTs. Not to mention that the organization has been very high on Lowery since they drafted him, and the pretty much locks up the nickel spot. We could just as easily be looking at a 4th/5th round corner like Arenas over one of the more highly rated CBs in the draft.



    Well yea...if you're going to imagine a whole bunch of stuff about him, throw it out there because he's already fat and playing football (so he must be stupid too!), and force it to stick...of course you're not going to like him as a prospect. If you've actually watched Cody over the past two years and watched him develop under Saban, you'd see he's pretty much nothing like what you're describing. And mind you, I used to feel the exact same way about Cody and there's probably posts from me on this forum that back that up.
    I don't know about you but I see three 16's next to Pouhas name on his stat sheet. He really only missed the entire '06 season.

    http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0023523

    And I just don't like Cody. He doesn't pass my eye test and I think I've seen like six Alabama games during the last two years. No matter what you say, were going to have agree to disagree on him.

    Let me show you why Keller is not a good third option:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPwFOqKowtQ

    look at all the catches Keller made for Sanchez when he needed him. I blame most of those picks on Edwards and Keller (Drop-Masters). It really hurt Sanchez's confidence. I also don't think a RB can be a third option (I don't think Leon's going to be on this team anyways).

    And the reason I'm saying 3rd day picks is because thats where you add depth. I would welcome depth on the DL, OL and OLB. Guys that can fight for a roster spot.

    I want a CB in round one or two because those guys can usually make a quick impact. I think if we don't get one in those rounds, It'll just probably be depth that will play ST's. I also don't think Lowery can cover a slot player, those guys are quick and Lowery is everything but quick.

    And I'm not going to bad mouth Cody any longer since you're so attached to him. If the Jets take him of course I'm going to root for him, and I trust Tanny.

    Peace my friend

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    look at all the catches Keller made for Sanchez when he needed him
    Yep, the game winning TD catch against SD was sweet. My favorite play of the entire season actually. Sanchez's first big moment in the NFL, like Chad's 41-0 against the Colts. Only we know Pennington ends up getting injured. Sanchez has all the promise of full health. He made that play happen, but Keller's catch is no less sick or confidence building, however you plan to look at it.

    As of right now we're short a starting DE. DeVito is currently the 3rd DL rather than the 4th DL. I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that, even with Jenkins coming back. DeVito is a nice player, and would probably do a fine job at DE in a strong rotation. Unfortunately, after him it's Pouha then friggin...Pito, Kroul, and other guys. We could really use better competition than that, especially since Pouha is over 30 and has a history of getting injured.

    Do Pito, Kroul, and friends inspire more faith in you than Allison, Clowney, and Davis? DL is a must, and getting someone who can fight DeVito for the job would be even better. It's a far more important part of the team than WR...especially since the offense is still run oriented. I realize Bit is high on Pito and says the team is too. I could easily turn around and say the team doesn't mind having Lowery as the 3rd CB, or isn't looking for a first round WR to sit around more often than not, and so on.

    Grabbing Cody could and would be huge for this D. It's exactly what we need on D. Believe me, if I was doing the drafting I'd look to grab Cody in the first AND Wooton/Carrington in the 2nd. I want DL I think can start in the NFL, not random bodies like Pito and Kroul.

    Pito barely even played last year and Kroul never played at all, he's just the next guy I can think of that we're developing.

    Don't overrate our DL talent based on one season. Getting Jenkins back will be huge, but this is a older Jenkins with two knee surgeries and a history of injuries. Easing the load on him and Ellis would help preserve the top veteran talent we do have there while the young guys learn the ropes, develop their bodies, and show the mad skills they possess.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if you want to go and point to Baltimore's D, they fell off this year without Pryce and Gregg. Yes, Edwards and Bannan are nice players. Hell no, they do not help make a great D when they're starting. Not year to year...

    Not to mention that our pass rush gets better and then our secondary gets better when we strengthen the DL.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you convinced me that Cody is what the Jets need. We can watch a whole training camp worth of Hard Knocks with Cody and Rex Ryan engaged in some bizzare "Biggest Loser" competition as Cody attempts to Lose weight and and gain the endurance needed to play more than two plays in a row! It'll be riveting.

    The guy is NOTHING but mass. He isn't "quick for a big man", he has terrible enduranance, and his strength in relation to his size is, to paraphrase your quote regarding Benn, "embarrasing". He is only being considered by people as a first rounder due to his blocked kick on national television. The guy was a situational player at 'Bama because his endurance and work ethic in the gym was so bad he couldn't play more than a few snaps at a time.

    Hes the type of guy you draft with the hope of lighting a fire under his ass and getting him in shape to actually be a Football player, but not a first rounder. This guy isn't Jenkins or Wilfork, hes Gilbert Brown. A fatass that plays a limited role.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post


    A guy you can build the DL around for the next 5-10 years. Improves every aspect of the D...
    +1

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    and his strength in relation to his size is, to paraphrase your quote regarding Benn, "embarrasing".
    Are we talking in ability to lift 225 pounds many times, or game strength?

    Also, the fatass plays the most vital role in this D...sooooo..........yeah.

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Lets look at the draft from the inside out. What do the Jets need to do FIRST to get where they want to go? The need to win the division. Period. Thats Goal #1.

    Lets break it down...Can the Jets handle the bills with the team they have as-is? Yes. No problem imo.

    How about the Dolphins? Can the Jets sweep the Fish this year with the team being as constituted? Well, they lost to them on bad clock management and bad STs last year...but that was before the Jets Defense became what it became. As for Specials, coverage was atrocious because of some guys left off the gameday roster. I think with a year of experience for both Rex and the Jet D, as well as leaving STs ALONE, these are easily fixable rookie mistakes. So yeah, I think that as the roster stands today, 4/2/10, the Jets can and would sweep the Fins in '10.

    Patriots are the true test for the Jets. This Jets team AS-IS right now split with the Pats, so yeah, the Jets have the ability to beat the Pats.....but they also have the ability to lose. And HOW did the Jets lose to the Pats in that second game? By being helpless to cover a 5'8 Slot Receiver the entire game. Welker ate the Jets D up all game. Nobody could go with him.

    So the Jets won some games they should have, and lost a bunch they shouldn't have. A LOT of that was lack of experience showing itself from Sanchez and Rex. Not worried about that....going to a Conference Championship gives you a lot more experience than just any first year.

    So then the Playoffs started, lets face it, The Jets, On the road, were able to pretty handily beat Cincy and the Chargers. So what kept the Jets from going all the way?

    The Colts. They hung with them for a bit, but after a couple of early sacks and hits, the protection solidified and Peyton went to work.....working the Jets secondary. The Jets had NO ANSWER for Garcon AT ALL. Austin Collie had a decent day. Wayne and Clark were pretty well bottled up, but it didn't matter. The Colts go 5 Solid deep at WR.

    Lets also take a look at another "Player" in the AFC. The Steelers are no longer your daddys "Pound the rock and play Defense" Team. Roethelesberger and Holmes et al want to THROW the ball all over the field.

    So whats the point of all this? The Jets CAN play DAMNED GOOD Run Defense as is....heck, they did it last year without Jenkins and got better! Think how they will be up front with Jenks added to the mix. Revis is awesome, but how good will cromartie be with the Jets? Will Poole stay healthy?

    As for the pass rush, the Jets last year needed to blitz in order to free guys up to get sacks. Pace is good coming from the edge, but isn't elite. B Thomas is serviceable and a good role player, but not t real threat from the edge......and remember, after hitting Manning twice early, the Jets NEVER got a sniff of his jersey the rest of the game, leaving him to pick the weakspots out and light up the Jets.


    So what do you do? Go "BPA" and snag Demaryus Thomas? Or take the BEST AVAILABLE Edge Rusher or DB, whoever is rated higher on my board. Next round, Same damned thing, or maybe then I move up to grab the BPA at whichever position I didn't grab in the first.

    That way I KNOW I'm potentially adding a possibly elite edge rusher and a solid CB to the defense. That way, the next time I see the Colts I know I'm bringing a UMP .45 to the gunfight instead of a six shooter....

    After that, go BPA. But I shore up that D. I don't want to see Rex on the Sidelines of another AFC Championship yellig, "DO we have ANYONE that can F$&#^&ing Cover!?"....

    I'm not for drafting all and only Defense....I WOULD love to see the Jets grab a WR to compliment Cotch and Braylon....as well as a possible future RT or G. Faneca and Woody, I love the guys, they are bad and play like MEN, but time waits for no man....
    I think you make some excellent points regarding the weaknesses of this squad.

    The Cromartie trade was the first step in solving that problem. I truly believe we've got a steal.

    Just think about this for a second, we took LT and Cromartie, two players who, under Marty Schott, were All-Pro. Then Norv comes in, age catches up with LT and Cro become allergic to latex. Now both are J E T S.

    We got LT for less than it costed to keep Thomas Jones (there was a rumor that TJ *might* have come back after being cut, but knowing TJ, I have always doubted that). We got Cro on the cheap because he missed a tackle and off-the-field issues.

    Let me put it another way, I think if we played the Colts TODAY, we'd have a much better chance at winning.

    But back to your main point though: "Who do the Jets need to go the next step?"

    I'm starting to think we need one player. He fills a huge hole for us on defense. He can come down and cover the nickel. I know, just know, without ever having heard a word of praise from Rex, that this guy is his favorite player in the draft.

    He'll be gone by 29 but he's not a top 10 pick. We'll have to trade up to get him, I think anywhere from pick 16-19 before his hometown team gets to draft him at 20.



    EARL THOMAS FS TEXAS

    these are his stats at Texas:

    http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=236787

    this is why he's coming out early:

    "Competitive player with passion for the game. Has overcome adversity and sites main reason for leaving school early is to purchase a home for his parents, who lost theirs in Hurricane Rita. Grandfather, Earl Thomas, is a pastor. No off the field issues to our knowledge."

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/...draftyear=2010

    this is a scouting report:

    Earl Thomas
    Height: 5-10 | Weight: 208 | 40-Time: 4.49

    Official Bio


    Strengths:
    Excellent athleticism and agility --- Good speed with a burst to recover and close --- Fantastic instincts, awareness and anticipation --- Terrific range --- Fluid hips and quick feet to turn and run downfield --- Able to match up in coverage --- Great hands and ball skills --- Good leaper and high-points the ball --- Is tough and physical --- Willing tackler and can deliver the big hit --- Competitive and self-assured --- Superb Football IQ --- Offers positional versatility --- A hard worker --- Still has upside.

    Weaknesses:
    Does not have the ideal height that you'd prefer --- Body must mature and needs to get stronger --- Will often miss some tackles due to being outmatched physically --- Can be too aggressive at times --- Has some trouble getting off blocks --- A bit of a ' tweener --- Limited experience.

    Notes:
    Was a two-year starter for the Longhorns --- Entered the 2010 NFL Draft after redshirt sophomore season --- Uncle, Anthony Thomas, was a linebacker at Stephen F. Austin (1997-99) --- Named 1st Team All-Big 12 and was a Consensus 1st Team All-American in 2009 --- Could also potentially play cornerback at the next level --- Set the UT single-season record for interceptions with 8 --- Will try and follow in the footsteps of other Texas DB's who have found success in the NFL like Quentin Jammer, Nathan Vasher, Michael Huff, Cedric Griffin, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross and Tarell Brown --- Not a finished product and probably could have used another year of development in college but has the talent and intangibles to be a top-flight free safety in the pros.
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...arl-Thomas.php

    these are some highlights:

    - I would put it on mute and maybe play your own music

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU



    In summation, when you couple the departure of Kerry Rhodes with our deficiencies at nickel cornerback and the lack of playmaking ability from our safeties, you should come to realize that Earl Thomas will be the top ranked player on our board.

    It all depends on what you would give up and how far down round 1 Earl slides. None of us really want to give up that second round pick to move up.

    We'll just have to wait and find out ourselves.

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earl Thomas would make the Jets Defense sick. Teams literally would be unable to effectively pass against the Jets Secondary...We could start 3 men and a baby in the front 7 and teams still wouldn't be able to pass on the Jets.

    Too bad Thomas will be long gone before the Jets ever had a chance of signing him.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say add a dynamic playmaker like Tate to help out Sanchez in his development, that's what we need most of all right now. Peyton and the Colts beat us because we shut it down in the second half because the coaches didn't have faith in Sanchez to stay in a shootout with Peyton, get him another weapon plus Leon and we can stay with anybody. Plus Tate brings the added of being an excellent returner both kicks and punts so he would fill three needs for us and allow us to even trade Washington if we needed to.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask how exactly another WR will help Sanchez's development? What does that guy do that Dustin Keller can't? What's that going to do in his rookie year that Dustin Keller can't do in his 3rd year? How does he help a 2nd year QB when the 2nd year QB will be playing his first full season with the guy who's actually projected to be his #1 WR?

    That just sounds like extra work for Sanchez to force chemistry with someone who won't be anymore than a 4th option (probably 5th behind the two pass catching RBs) in the pass game...

    I really need to know this, because it's something I just don't get about this offseason. When did the slot WR position become such a big deal? There's a reason we gave up Stuckey (a prototypical slot) for Edwards (a prototypical outside WR)..it's not because we really wanted to spend a first round pick on a slot guy in the offseason. Give me McCluster in the 2nd or one of a number of guys later than that over Tate in the first anyday...

    Question: What kind of stats would you expect from Tate if we were to take him in the first? Just curiosity...You think he can just walk into the NFL and be Steve Smith or our Wes Welker in the slot? Because that one will have to be explained to me.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-06-2010 at 01:17 AM.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Can I ask how exactly another WR will help Sanchez's development? What does that guy do that Dustin Keller can't? What's that going to do in his rookie year that Dustin Keller can't do in his 3rd year? How does he help a 2nd year QB when the 2nd year QB will be playing his first full season with the guy who's actually projected to be his #1 WR?

    That just sounds like extra work for Sanchez to force chemistry with someone who won't be anymore than a 4th option (probably 5th behind the two pass catching RBs) in the pass game...

    I really need to know this, because it's something I just don't get about this offseason. When did the slot WR position become such a big deal? There's a reason we gave up Stuckey (a prototypical slot) for Edwards (a prototypical outside WR)..it's not because we really wanted to spend a first round pick on a slot guy in the offseason. Give me McCluster in the 2nd or one of a number of guys later than that over Tate in the first anyday...

    Question: What kind of stats would you expect from Tate if we were to take him in the first? Just curiosity...You think he can just walk into the NFL and be Steve Smith or our Wes Welker in the slot? Because that one will have to be explained to me.

    Amazing, but thank you Mr. Strawman! Not one of my arguements against COdy (in the first) is addressed in this entire thread. He is a situational fat kid with no movement stamina, strength, or ,moves at DT (First Round DT) and not one of my arguments is addressed. I, the ORIGINAL POSTER never called for the drafting of a WIDE RECEIVER or anything other that. Period. But lets go from what I originally posted to what we are at now.

    Lets go to my original point, shortened,. We got our ass kicked by the COlts in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME because our secondary couldn't cover. Period. We need Defense IMO. OLB. DB. We have no true Pass Rush trhat can beat people 1-1 and free up oyjer players (the basis of Rex Defense).

    We watched our #1 Defense get LIT up by #3 and #4 options. OK. Revis is like 2 dudes, but he needs help/

    Grab a mid WR, but get a high/real OLB. Get a DB to shut down the pass. We're doing OK with the Run game - WITHOUT the returning Jenkins. SO do what you must to beat THE ENEMY. TO WIN THE DIVISION. NOW.

    Stop looking at the fattest guy. Remember the fastest guy at OLB? Yeah, me to.


    What a bust/.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    That didn't answer a single of the many questions I asked. If you weren't calling for WR...then....shouldn't someone who is calling for a WR reply to my post?

    Also, try to not put so much weight on one game just because it was the Championship game. We went out and got a talented CB for that very reason...a 25 year old who intercepted 10 passes a year ago and was a playmaker after those INTs.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-06-2010 at 07:46 AM.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    WRs can go in the first round based on potential, they have in the past. I still think D.Thomas gets drafted first round by some team.


    Cody isn't very athletic, whenever I watched a Alabama game I never came away impressed by him. I watched a lot of Alabama games this year too, I love Mark Ingram, hes my boy in college right now.

    Cody combine-6'3 5/8 354 5.62 40-time 1.96 ten yard split 3.21 20 yard 5.03 20SS 8.18 3-cone 22 inch vertical 7'9 broad 22 reps bench

    Ngata numbers-6'4 338 5.13 40-time 1.73 ten yard 2.96 20 yard 7.96 3 cone 31 inch vertical 9'2 broad 37 reps bench

    In the NFL there is a lot of big men that are more athletic than Cody is, Jenkins is more athletic than hm.


    And how can you say that Dustin Keller isn't a good 3rd option based on one game? That is kind of dumb. I think he can be a good 3rd option, but we need a 3rd WR. I would love to get Andre Roberts if we don't get a WR in the first or so.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as we like to think it's true...athleticism isn't measured in numbers. Cody's athleticism is more on display in how Saban used him as a player...like Ngata in the pros he has played DE, NT, he's dropped back into a zone, and he's been used on offense as a goal line blocker. That's versatility...that's athleticism...that's football athleticism.

    And of course in the NFL there are big men more athletic and well conditioned than him...it's the NFL...they've been recieving NFL training for years now.

    With Cody it allll comes down to conditioning...if you buy that he'll watch his weight better in the pros then it's pretty much done...the guy is a top talent on tape too I don't get what I'm missing...I still have a bunch of 'Bama games on my DVR that I've watched. The guys exactly what a 3-4 DL should be except extremely well conditioned...obviously something that can be easily fixed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us