Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Rackers coming in for visit

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3546314]In all seriousness, this might end up the best move we make this offseason if we were to make it. He's a really, really good kicker. He also does kickoffs, and has had some really good seasons there too.

Plus we're trying to be more badass as a team and stuff....[/QUOTE]

Why did the Cards let him go then?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3546369]Why did the Cards let him go then?[/QUOTE]

Because he got hurt and because he is big time over-rated. He misses big kicks just as much as Feely, if not more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3546371]Because he got hurt and because he is big time over-rated. He misses big kicks just as much as Feely, if not more.[/QUOTE]

So this is an upgrade:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3546372]So this is an upgrade:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Far from.

Its an even swap, with less tacking ability on KO's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3546276]Under pressure, this guy cant hit the broad side of a barn. If he is our kicker, he will cost us a playoff game guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

Like Feely did in the AFCCG???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Feeley had a certain "edge" to him that you rarely see from kickers. THought he was the perfect kicker for a Rex Ryan type team with his grit and tackling ability. At times I even thought the team rallied around Feeley.

Unfortunatly, losing Feeley I'm afraid will be bigger than what can be proven on paper.

Getting rid of a team leaders like T Jones and Jay Feeley can be a recipe for disaster and I am not sure what the JETS are thinking.

Just hope I'm wrong.................

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3546416]I thought Feeley had a certain "edge" to him that you rarely see from kickers. THought he was the perfect kicker for a Rex Ryan type team with his grit and tackling ability. At times I even thought the team rallied around Feeley.

Unfortunatly, losing Feeley I'm afraid will be bigger than what can be proven on paper.

Getting rid of a team leaders like T Jones and Jay Feeley can be a recipe for disaster and I am not sure what the JETS are thinking.

[B]Just hope I'm wrong[/B].................[/QUOTE]

Just can't shake that SOJ feeling Cop?? I never had it I guess I'm just immune.. I trust in Tanny-score-us Rex..:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3546235]Well, now at least we know for sure that the Jets FO thinks Folk is not ready to be our starting kicker... Not a big surprise.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that says that. They are taking a look at Rackers. Even if they sign him teams usually bring in a couple of kickers to training camp. And Kickers aren't typically signed to contracts with a big signing bonus so what's wrong with bringing in both Rackers and Folk and see who wins the job?

As a previous article mentioned Folk was coming off surgery last season and admitted because of it he got into bad habits. He had 2 solid seasons before hip surgery last offseason. I wouldn't rule Folk out, yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3546374]Far from.

Its an even swap, with less tacking ability on KO's.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if Feely could reach the end zone on his kickoffs he wouldn't have to worry about making a tackle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3546356]Player News (last updated: April 2, 2010)
    News: Arizona signed Jay Feely on Friday, so Rackers won't return to the Cardinals, the team's official site reports.
    Spin: The knocks on Rackers are that he's not very dependable on long kicks and pressure attempts. He also seemed to be seeking more money than the Cardinals were willing to spend. He'll catch on somewhere, because he made 16 of his 17 field goal tries during the 2009 regular season, and 25 of his 28 tries in 2008.
    Player News Archive[/QUOTE]

And your previous post was "under pressure, the guy can't hit the broad side of a barn." He misses ONE kick in the playoffs and now he can't handle any pressure? For the rest of his life? So let's throw out the fact that he missed fewer kicks in TWO years than Feely missed just last year?

Show me a kicker who's never missed a pressure kick from short range, and I'll show you a video-game controller. This guy sounds just like Feely, except more accurate. Rackers missed one kick (albeit a short one) in a playoff game his team won. Feely missed two in a playoff game that his team lost. What's the problem again?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3546422]Just can't shake that SOJ feeling Cop?? I never had it I guess I'm just immune.. I trust in Tanny-score-us Rex..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Hey Savage, happy easter/ passover to you, your family and everyone at JI. SOJ, not that strong of a feeling, just concerned about these moves because they dont seem to make sense from a "team" point of view and not so much from a "financial" point of view either. I love Tanny as much as the next JETS fan but will never forget year 2 when he played games with Kendall and it ruined the season. Thought he learned his lesson from it, some could argue that he didnt by the moves that are being made. It is very easy to criticize not restructing TJ and re signing Feely or Leon for this matter. TJ was a tough leader that was a pivotal part of the chemistry of our team, LT has been label as a bit selfish. Jay Feely kicked in the cold here and in college, also a pivotal part of our team. Thought the team "fed off" his toughness from the kicking position.

Again, no panic, not the "Same Old JETS," just concerned at the way we are approaching this off-season and the moves that are being made.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3546369]Why did the Cards let him go then?[/QUOTE]

Why did we let Feely go? Kickers are kickers. Good kickers are still kickers.

He wasn't doing for them the past couple years what he'd done the 6-7 years before that. At his best he's better on kickoffs than Feely, he's younger than Feely, he's probably got a stronger leg, and he's as good with the whole FG stuff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3546424]I don't think that says that. They are taking a look at Rackers. Even if they sign him teams usually bring in a couple of kickers to training camp. And Kickers aren't typically signed to contracts with a big signing bonus so what's wrong with bringing in both Rackers and Folk and see who wins the job?

As a previous article mentioned Folk was coming off surgery last season and admitted because of it he got into bad habits. He had 2 solid seasons before hip surgery last offseason. I wouldn't rule Folk out, yet.[/QUOTE]

I understand your points about his surgery and bad habits but I still just don't think that Folk is ready or we wouldn't be looking to spend 2M+ on another kicker. Like I said earlier, If Rackers wouldn't take 2M from Arizona, why would we pay him around the same price just to possibly be a backup?

I think Folk is a permanent backup unless he proves otherwise which is unlikely. With the way the Jets are failing to open their wallet during this uncapped year, it doesn't make sense that they would open it for 2 kickers unless they are uncomfortable with Folk.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3546486]I understand your points about his surgery and bad habits but I still just don't think that Folk is ready or we wouldn't be looking to spend 2M+ on another kicker. Like I said earlier, If Rackers wouldn't take 2M from Arizona, why would we pay him around the same price just to possibly be a backup?

I think Folk is a permanent backup unless he proves otherwise which is unlikely. With the way the Jets are failing to open their wallet during this uncapped year, it doesn't make sense that they would open it for 2 kickers unless they are uncomfortable with Folk.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, Kickers typically aren't signed to contracts with a signing bonus, or at least a big one. So you can sign two kickers (or three or four) and cut one without any type of significant cap hit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3546453]Why did we let Feely go? Kickers are kickers. Good kickers are still kickers.

He wasn't doing for them the past couple years what he'd done the 6-7 years before that. At his best he's better on kickoffs than Feely, he's younger than Feely, he's probably got a stronger leg, and he's as good with the whole FG stuff.[/QUOTE]

Feely was a good kicker who kicked in the northeast, Rackers kicked in Arizona. Why did Arizona prefer Feely over Rackers?

Feely was the greatest thing since sliced bread in the playoff game against the Bengals game 2 weeks later he is horrible. I do not think the Jets upgraded this position, but I hope this is a move that Coach Westhoff wanted and not the new Jets economics.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong but Rackers is an UFA. As such we cannot sign him for more money than Feely signed for.

Unless Tannenbaum has some sort of creative accounting up his sleeve how can we possibly sign him if he wanted more money then the Cards were offering?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3546546]From my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong but Rackers is an UFA. As such we cannot sign him for more money than Feely signed for.

Unless Tannenbaum has some sort of creative accounting up his sleeve how can we possibly sign him if he wanted more money then the Cards were offering?[/QUOTE]

If there was a team willing to sign him for what he was asking for, Rackers would have signed already.

Obviously his agent knows the rules and knows the Jets financial limitations and he still agreed to come for a visit.

The market may dictate that Rackers must accept similar money to Feely.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

touchbacks

anybody happen to know how the touchback numbers of the two kickers stack up?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not thrilled with this move, Feely was more consistent the past 5 years than Rackers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;3546559]anybody happen to know how the touchback numbers of the two kickers stack up?[/QUOTE]

From Jet Blog:

A statistical comparison follows after the jump:
    - Feely has made over 83% of his field goals in each of the last five seasons. Rackers dipped below that level in 2006 (76%) and 2007 (70%), although 12 of his 18 missed field goals in those two years were from over 50 yards.
    - Rackers made 16 of 17 field goals last year, but then struggled badly in the playoffs. Feely made 30 of 36 in the regular season before he also missed a couple in Indianpolis.
    - Over the past five years, Rackers has only missed 10 field goals of less than 50 yards, only four of which were from less than 40. Feely has missed 20 field goals of less than 50 yards, 10 of which were from within 40.
    - Over the last five years, Feely has 49 touchbacks (12%) to Rackersí 85 (23%). Last season, Feely had 10 (12%) whereas Rackers had 14 (22%). The average return for Feely (24 yards) was higher too (20 yards for Rackers), although in previous seasons, that wasnít the case.
    - 45% of Rackersí onside kicks have been recovered by the kicking team, as opposed to 30% from Feely.