Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neil Rackers coming in for visit

Rookie
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3546426]Maybe if Feely could reach the end zone on his kickoffs he wouldn't have to worry about making a tackle.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

Not many kickers really reach the end zone with true consistency any more. They are getting better at it the last couple of years, but it's still not to be expected.

Especially in East Rutherford. Lot easier to get depth in Zona on kickoffs.

Feely was let to leave for a reason and we likely won't know it... WHen a guy has extremely good production for a number of teams but keeps getting let go, there is often a reason for it. Especially when they keep getting let go by good coaches/GMs.

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;3546280]The guy was 89% 2 years ago and 94% (only missed 1) last season. As for the clutch factor (or lack thereof) sometimes a change of scenary and team culture can help that.[/QUOTE]

It helped Jay Feely. He was known as a choke with the Giants before coming to the Jets and becoming a hero. Bring both Rackers and Folk into camp and see who wins the job.

All League
    I'd like to know what kind of stats Rackers has put up in COLD WEATHER...

Banned
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3546416]I thought Feeley had a certain "edge" to him that you rarely see from kickers. THought he was the perfect kicker for a Rex Ryan type team with his grit and tackling ability. At times I even thought the team rallied around Feeley.

Unfortunatly, losing Feeley I'm afraid will be bigger than what can be proven on paper.

Getting rid of a team leaders like T Jones and Jay Feeley can be a recipe for disaster and I am not sure what the JETS are thinking.

Just hope I'm wrong.................[/QUOTE]

Feely had that "edge" because he was a great redemption story. Bounced around journeyman who was labeled a choker by Giants fans whose career was going nowhere until he was taken off the street to fill in for coddled 2nd round pick wonderboy Nugent.

I suppose the Jets are hoping Folk turns out to be similar. I think either Folk or Rackers would do just fine for us in the regular season it's the playoffs where you find out what kind of stugots your kicker really has.

[QUOTE=Greenwave81;3546637]I'd like to know what kind of stats Rackers has put up in COLD WEATHER...[/QUOTE]

Good point, plus the swirling winds, if they're still there in the new stadium.

Jets Insider VIP
    wow

nearly 50 posts about dime a dozen kickers

way too many

Banned
    [QUOTE=sg3;3546647]wow

nearly 50 posts about dime a dozen kickers

way too many[/QUOTE]

Problem is this franchise has had a couple really bad kickers in the past several years (Nugent, Brien) and just let a good one go (Feely). Ofcourse people are going to talk about it.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3546663]Problem is this franchise has had a couple really bad kickers in the past several years (Nugent, [B]Brien)[/B] and just let a good one go (Feely). Ofcourse people are going to talk about it.[/QUOTE]

Brien was a better kicker than Feely. He was over 80% in a 13 year carrer and also a super bowl winning kicker. He choked in a po game Feely choked in the AFCCG game which to me is much worse.

[QUOTE=jayrad01;3546676]Brien was a better kicker than Feely. He was over 80% in a 13 year carrer and also a super bowl winning kicker. He choked in a po game Feely choked in the AFCCG game which to me is much worse.[/QUOTE]
    Please tell me how missing a 54 yard FG that the coach never should have elected to have him try in the 3rd qtr is choking.

Gosh it's just incredible how Feely went from being money in the Cinci and SD playoff games to a choke artist.

People have to get real.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3546678]Please tell me how missing a 54 yard FG that the coach never should have elected to have him try in the 3rd qtr is choking.

Gosh it's just incredible how Feely went from being money in the Cinci and SD playoff games to a choke artist.

People have to get real.[/QUOTE]

How convienent that should post Feelys 54 yard miss and not his 47 yard miss that got Brien labled as a choke artist. Kicking a 47 yard FG in Heinze stadium one of the hardest stadiums in the league to kick in and hitting the upright compareed to kicking a 47 yarder in a dome that was not even close, but I know the A/C kicked on right when Feely kicked the ball. While we are at it didn't Brien win the game against the Chargers in the PO game right before ths Steeler game? How convienent it was to leave out those little tidbits.

[QUOTE=jayrad01;3546695]How convienent that should post Feelys 54 yard miss and not his 47 yard miss that got Brien labled as a choke artist. Kicking a 47 yard FG in Heinze stadium one of the hardest stadiums in the league to kick in and hitting the upright compareed to kicking a 47 yarder in a dome that was not even close, but I know the A/C kicked on right when Feely kicked the ball. While we are at it didn't Brien win the game against the Chargers in the PO game right before ths Steeler game? How convienent it was to leave out those little tidbits.[/QUOTE]
    First of all I wasn't talking Brien. You were, but let's talk about that SD game. I was at it. Let's not forget Brien missed a FG in that game in the first quarter from I believe around the 30 that was real deflating to the Jets after they looked good on their opening drive. Let's not forget at the end of the season he was extremely shakey as the Jets backed their way into the playoffs. Also Brien missed 2 potential game winning FG's against Pitts from around the 42 yard line not one from the 47.

And you want to compare that to a 54 yard FG in the 3rd quarter of a game the Jets were never going to win anyway? Missing that FG was hardly a choke.

i'd be THRILLED with neil rackers...he's a very good kicker IMO and i think we would have 2 solid choices in rackers and folk...

personally i'd go w/ rackers but wouldn't be upset with folk at all..i think he is due to have a really good year after being rushed back from injury next year..

IMO rackers is a safer bet

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3546770]First of all I wasn't talking Brien. You were, but let's talk about that SD game. I was at it. Let's not forget Brien missed a FG in that game in the first quarter from I believe around the 30 that was real deflating to the Jets after they looked good on their opening drive. Let's not forget at the end of the season he was extremely shakey as the Jets backed their way into the playoffs. Also Brien missed 2 potential game winning FG's against Pitts from around the 42 yard line not one from the 47.

And you want to compare that to a 54 yard FG in the 3rd quarter of a game the Jets were never going to win anyway? Missing that FG was hardly a choke.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct I was talking Brien, to another poster when you quoted me.[I]Quote:
    Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde
    Problem is this franchise has had a couple really bad kickers in the past several years (Nugent, Brien) and just let a good one go (Feely). Ofcourse people are going to talk about it.

Brien was a better kicker than Feely. He was over 80% in a 13 year carrer and also a super bowl winning kicker. He choked in a po game Feely choked in the AFCCG game which to me is much worse.[/I]

Ok so you were at that game why do I need to know that little bit of info? Does that mean you are a better judge than me seeing it on TV? Then you go on to say his miss was real deflating to the Jets after looking real good on their first drive. Exactly on their first drive hardly game changing miss. Why you feel the need to post these little tid bits is beyond me other and means nothing about this discussion. They won the game in OT he made the kick in a pressure situation. Next you want to bring up the Jets backing into the play offs like that has anything to do with the place kicker.We didn't exactly run the table into the play offs this year did we. In fact can you ever remember a team so called backing into the play offs more than this past year? Lastly I want to compare Feelys miss from 47 in a climate controlled dome to Brien miss in Heinz field.
    You say we would not have won anywy. So I guess that makes it ok to miss. You have no idea what would have happened if he makes those fgs. It changes everything we were winning it was the 3rdQ It changes field position score and everything that happens after.
    Last edited by jayrad01; 04-04-2010 at 09:46 PM.

[QUOTE=jayrad01;3546829]Yes you are correct I was talking Brien, to another poster when you quoted me.[I]Quote:
    Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde

Brien was a better kicker than Feely. He was over 80% in a 13 year carrer and also a super bowl winning kicker. He choked in a po game Feely choked in the AFCCG game which to me is much worse.[/I]

Ok so you were at that game why do I need to know that little bit of info? Does that mean you are a better judge than me seeing it on TV? Then you go on to say his miss was real deflating to the Jets after looking real good on their first drive. Exactly on their first drive hardly game changing miss. Why you feel the need to post these little tid bits is beyond me other and means nothing about this discussion. They won the game in OT he made the kick in a pressure situation. Next you want to bring up the Jets backing into the play offs like that has anything to do with the place kicker.We didn't exactly run the table into the play offs this year did we. In fact can you ever remember a team so called backing into the play offs more than this past year? Lastly I want to compare Feelys miss from 47 in a climate controlled dome to Brien miss in Heinz field.
    You say we would not have won anywy. So I guess that makes it ok to miss. You have no idea what would have happened if he makes those fgs. It changes everything we were winning it was the 3rdQ It changes field position score and everything that happens after.[/QUOTE]
    We were talking about the word "choking" which you referenced to Feely in Indy. I said you can't possibly call missing a 54 yard FG in the 3rd quarter a choke.

I don't think it's a valid comparison to the affect on the momentum of a game and how much a FG miss deflates a team when comparing a miss of a chippie FG to a 54 yard miss. That was my point in bringing up Brien's miss in SD and how he wasn't exactly money in that game (even though he deserves the credit for making the chippie game winning FG) and yes Brien's poor play contributed to the Jets backing in at the end of that season so I thought that was worth a mention also.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 04-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3546676]Brien was a better kicker than Feely. He was over 80% in a 13 year carrer and also a super bowl winning kicker. He choked in a po game Feely choked in the AFCCG game which to me is much worse.[/QUOTE]

Feely has a higher % than Brien for his career. Not by much but still. You're right about Brien winning a Super Bowl with the 49ers 16 years ago but it goes to the old saying "what have you done for me lately?"

Brien choked in both playoff games in '04. In the San Diego game he missed one kick and another one he barely made and that was before he sh*t himself against the Steelers.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3546849]We were talking about the word "choking" which you referenced to Feely in Indy. I said you can't possibly call missing a 54 yard FG in the 3rd quarter a choke.

I don't think it's a valid comparison to the affect on the momentum of a game and how much a FG miss deflates a team when comparing a miss of a chippie FG to a 54 yard miss. That was my point in bringing up Brien's miss in SD and how he wasn't exactly money in that game (even though he deserves the credit for making the chippie game winning FG) and yes Brien's poor play contributed to the Jets backing in at the end of that season so I thought that was worth a mention also.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Regardless lets hope we have a viable kicker by the time the season starts.

Banned
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3546695]How convienent that should post Feelys 54 yard miss and not his 47 yard miss that got Brien labled as a choke artist. Kicking a 47 yard FG in Heinze stadium one of the hardest stadiums in the league to kick in and hitting the upright compareed to kicking a 47 yarder in a dome that was not even close, but I know the A/C kicked on right when Feely kicked the ball. While we are at it didn't Brien win the game against the Chargers in the PO game right before ths Steeler game? How convienent it was to leave out those little tidbits.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I watched that entire game from start to finish and also noticed him missing a kick earlier and just barely making another. Brien won a Super Bowl 16 years ago cashing in chip shots for Steve Young and Jerry Rice hooray.

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;3546796]i'd be THRILLED with neil rackers...he's a very good kicker IMO and i think we would have 2 solid choices in rackers and folk...

personally i'd go w/ rackers but wouldn't be upset with folk at all..i think he is due to have a really good year after being rushed back from injury next year..

IMO rackers is a safer bet[/QUOTE]

Cya Feely. We have good options in Rackers and Folk

Oops looks like he signed with the Texans
    Last edited by FijiJet; 04-05-2010 at 11:00 PM.