Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nice list i found, look who tops the list..

Hall Of Fame

nice list i found, look who tops the list..

[url]http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/best-right-tackles-in-the-n-f-l-the-top-10-list/[/url]

April 3, 2010, 7:13 am Best Right Tackles in the N.F.L.: The Top 10 List
    By ANDY BENOIT
    Friendly Disclaimer: The following list is influenced largely – but not strictly – by film study of all 32 teams from the 2009 season. It is not a prediction for the 2010 season, though the future isn’t utterly ignored. Vague enough for you? Top 10 lists tend to be. That’s why most of you will have no trouble finding ways to disagree about what you’re about to read.

10. David Stewart, Tennessee Titans

Classic veteran RT: gritty, sloppy but somehow reliable.

9. Marc Colombo, Dallas Cowboys

See David Stewart.

8. Levi Brown, Arizona Cardinals

Resounding strength, but must improve quickness and footwork if he wants to realize his vast potential.

7. Jeff Otah, Carolina Panthers

If he can ever stay healthy, he’ll probably top this list.

6. Willie Colon, Pittsburgh Steelers

Sounds as if the only time he doesn’t keep Big Ben clean is in college town bars.

5. Ryan Harris, Denver Broncos

Moves with the dexterity of a left tackle.

4. Ryan Diem, Indianapolis Colts

Thick, long frame makes him impossible to get around. Offers decent mobility as a run-blocker, too.

3. Jason Smith, St. Louis Rams

A true punisher. Athletic. Has only played 8 games (5 starts). Give him 8 more and he’ll either be a.) starting at left tackle or b.) known as the best right tackle in football.

2. Michael Oher, Baltimore Ravens

Got better by the week. At this point, his greatest asset might be versatility.

1. Damien Woody, Jets

Flourishes as a straight-line road-grader in New York’s system. And rarely gives up pressure in the pass game.

Wait, what about….

Jon Stinchcomb, New Orleans Saints

Noble competitor, would probably make a Top 11 list, but his recent Pro Bowl honor was more a nod to the Saints’ line as a whole.

Mark Tauscher, Packers

Dependable veteran, but no longer elite because of injuries.

Kareem McKenzie, Giants

Also dependable, but a tad lethargic. Plus, the new question is, Can he stay healthy?

I was told Jason Smith sucked?

Congrats for Woody...I was actually worried about that guy at one point when we signed him but he's been just fine.

Interesting. I wouldn't have rated Woody that high at first thought, but considering the list above him, it's actually pretty reasonable. I see Otah on a weekly basis in NC and he will be a monster, but he's not there yet.

What a turnaround for the Jets OL. From 2007's turnstyles to 2009/10's beasts. Our last GM found a way to lose Kareem McKenzie & Randy Thomas - our new GM found a way to get us Alan Faneca and Damien Woody. This line needs a nickname...we as fans will remember this group for a long time.

All Pro
    Not bad, considering he's probably the weak link of our line.

[QUOTE=Austin;3546469]Not bad, considering he's probably the weak link of our line.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think most scouts and people who have watched this year would agree that Faneca is now the weak link. He's probably a leader on the line, and seems to have helped D'Brick grow as a lineman, but in terms of play on the field, Faneca's the weak link

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3546477]I disagree. I think most scouts and people who have watched this year would agree that Faneca is now the weak link. He's probably a leader on the line, and seems to have helped D'Brick grow as a lineman, but in terms of play on the field, Faneca's the weak link[/QUOTE]
    100% agree. His pass blocking was terrible in several games this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3546477]I disagree. I think most scouts and people who have watched this year would agree that Faneca is now the weak link. He's probably a leader on the line, and seems to have helped D'Brick grow as a lineman, but in terms of play on the field, Faneca's the weak link[/QUOTE]

Disagree about that....what makes our line so good is that we don't really have a weak link. Faneca gave up a couple of bad, notorious sacks (first drive of the Pats game against Mike Wright as an example). But, overall, his pass blocking was pretty solid. And his run blocking is superb. He was better in 09' than in 08', IMO.

And with that, Vernon Carey is now officially the most underrated RT in the NFL.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3546542]Disagree about that....what makes our line so good is that we don't really have a weak link. Faneca gave up a couple of bad, notorious sacks (first drive of the Pats game against Mike Wright as an example). But, overall, his pass blocking was pretty solid. And his run blocking is superb. He was better in 09' than in 08', IMO.[/QUOTE]
    Good point actually...I do still think he will be the first replaced when the time comes.

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3546548]And with that, Vernon Carey is now officially the most underrated RT in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Dolfins don't count, sorry.

Good for Woody. He has been a solid addition to our O-Line and is a terrific run blocker.

Same guy also ranks Moore as 4th best RG:

10. Louis Vasquez, San Diego Chargers

Transitioned from Texas Tech spread offense to pro game very well as a rookie last season.

9. Deuce Lutui, Arizona Cardinals

Not athletic enough to build your attack around, but has polished himself into a stellar puzzle piece. Can be nasty, too.

8. Davin Joseph, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

One of the few players capable of landing multiple blocks on one play. If he ever becomes consistent, he’ll be a perennial Pro Bowler.

7. Stephen Neal, New England Patriots

Once he gets his hands on you, it’s usually over.

6. Keydrick Vincent, Carolina Panthers (currently a free agent)

Just an O.K. pass-blocker, but his mobility – particularly at the second level – was a big component in Carolina’s third-ranked rushing attack last season.

5. Chris Kuper, Denver Broncos

Excellent athleticism for his size. Quick, and lands well-placed blocks on the move.
    [B]
    4. Brandon Moore, Jets

One of the most underappreciated players in the league. Arguably the Jets’ steadiest lineman. [/B]

3. Chris Snee, Giants

Gritty, mobile (or, extremely mobile by right guard standards) and, for the most part, fundamentally sound.

2. Leonard Davis, Dallas Cowboys

When you’re 6’6”, 365 pounds and know how to use your size, you’re going to make pretty much any Top 10 list.

1. Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints

The gap between Evans and Davis might be the biggest between Nos. 1 and 2 players in an N.F.L. Top 10 list.

Wait, What About….

Forget it. Anyone you mention is going to be, at best, a model of mediocrity. There’s a reason right guard is the N.F.L.’s most unglamorous position.

[url]http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/best-right-guards-in-the-n-f-l-the-top-10-list/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3546548]And with that, Vernon Carey is now officially the most underrated RT in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I think that every time there is a list that isn't headed by a dollfag.

Conspiracy or jealousy, take your pick. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3546575]I think that every time there is a list that isn't headed by a dollfag.

Conspiracy or jealousy, take your pick. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Please point me to where I said Vernon Carey was the best RT in the NFL. Watch the guy play. He's definitely in the top third of the league.

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3546576]Please point me to where I said Vernon Carey was the best RT in the NFL. Watch the guy play. He's definitely in the top third of the league.[/QUOTE]

Meh. He's nothing to write home about.

[QUOTE=Austin;3546469]Not bad, considering he's probably the weak link of our line.[/QUOTE]

If you study our running game success, your statement is actually way off. Most of the Jets success running the ball came to the right side behind Woody and Moore.

Woody doesn't an excellent IMO of sealing in the right side on toss sweeps and plays great he pulls himself.

Woody is absolutely not the weak link on our line. You need to watch a Jets game with zero rooting interest and it becomes very obvious what the deal is with him. I remember going back and watching Detroit game film when we were mentioned as looking at him to sign as a FA. Knew he was a very good interior guy but didn't think he would be able to pass block. Was overwhelmed with what I seen in him as a pass blocker and Detroit's OL production improved by a mile towards teh end of that season when they made that move. Woody was shutting down the likes of Kampman when Kampman was at his best at the end of that year.

Woody is EXCELLENt in the run game and very rarely gives up anything in the passing game. One would figure he would struggle vs speed but he really doesn't. Once he gets his hands on you, it's over as far as that goes.

Faneca is the weakest on our OL and that is saying a lot because the guy is extremely good in some areas. He's a great run blocker and obviously very good in the locker room.

Moore was the weakest on the line prior to this season but last year he had his best year. He really got rid of those occasional plays where he would just get beat.

Brick is the most valuable on our line but I wouldn't necessarily say he's the best out of the group. Can't be Mangold either because he had his poor moments as well last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3546608]

Brick is the most valuable on our line but I wouldn't necessarily say he's the best out of the group. [B]Can't be Mangold either because he had his poor moments as well last year.[/B][/QUOTE]

lol what? :confused: Mangold is easily, without question, the Jets best offensive linemen. When exactly did all these "poor" moments happen?

All League
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;3546574]Same guy also ranks Moore as 4th best RG:

10. Louis Vasquez, San Diego Chargers

Transitioned from Texas Tech spread offense to pro game very well as a rookie last season.

9. Deuce Lutui, Arizona Cardinals

Not athletic enough to build your attack around, but has polished himself into a stellar puzzle piece. Can be nasty, too.

8. Davin Joseph, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

One of the few players capable of landing multiple blocks on one play. If he ever becomes consistent, he’ll be a perennial Pro Bowler.

7. Stephen Neal, New England Patriots

Once he gets his hands on you, it’s usually over.

6. Keydrick Vincent, Carolina Panthers (currently a free agent)

Just an O.K. pass-blocker, but his mobility – particularly at the second level – was a big component in Carolina’s third-ranked rushing attack last season.

5. Chris Kuper, Denver Broncos

Excellent athleticism for his size. Quick, and lands well-placed blocks on the move.
    [B]
    4. Brandon Moore, Jets

One of the most underappreciated players in the league. Arguably the Jets’ steadiest lineman. [/B]

3. Chris Snee, Giants

Gritty, mobile (or, extremely mobile by right guard standards) and, for the most part, fundamentally sound.

2. Leonard Davis, Dallas Cowboys

When you’re 6’6”, 365 pounds and know how to use your size, you’re going to make pretty much any Top 10 list.

1. Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints

The gap between Evans and Davis might be the biggest between Nos. 1 and 2 players in an N.F.L. Top 10 list.

Wait, What About….

Forget it. Anyone you mention is going to be, at best, a model of mediocrity. There’s a reason right guard is the N.F.L.’s most unglamorous position.

[url]http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/best-right-guards-in-the-n-f-l-the-top-10-list/[/url][/QUOTE]

Moore is very under rated IMO, the guy can be dominant in the run game at times.

Was BS when it looked like we were going to let him walk and sign the guy from PIT instead, am really glad things worked out in the end and we resigned him.

Faneca had a bad year pass blocking this year. Jets ptrefer to run to the right side (see 4th and 1 play against SD in playoffs), that says something about both Woody and Faneca (pulling to lead the way).

Woody is a better run blocker than D'Brick at this point... he's more physical and gets a great push. D'Brick's pass protection is 2nd to none though.

This line is stacked... only issue I see is that they are getting a little long in the tooth. O-line will definitely need to be addressed in the draft next year.