Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #29: Who can and can't you live with.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't live with:
    Any O-lineman
    Terrence Cody
    Everson Griffen
    Demaryius Thomas

Can live with:
    Jerry Hughes
    Golden Tate
    Devin McCourty
    Brian Price

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can live with just about anything. I trust that they won't waste the pick on a player who isn't on the top of their board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    No seriously...we really weren't.

1. Because generally speaking this board tends to exaggerate what the NE/2-gap 3-4 is and does because the coach who tried to implement the 3-4 is now extremely unpopular.

and

2. The influences from the Steelers and Ravens Ds were obvious. The one down DL stuff...the Jenkins dropping into a zone we'd do...the flex from 3 down linemen to 4 down linemen...

Mangini's D was extremely varied here...it just went unnoticed because we didn't win a Super Bowl under him leaving him to be the current most hated coach in Jets history.

Also, you're fooling yourself if you think this current D isn't built around the DL's ability to occupy and beat blockers....we 2 gap to this day...it's come to have some kind of weird stigma on this board but it's common for 3-4 teams to both 2 gap and 1 gap (in certain packages)....the whole point of the 3-4 is the D's flexibility.
    1. I was a fan of Mangini and still am. I could care less what the rest of the board thinks regarding that.

2. We absolutely 2 gapped the entire time that Mangini was here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Can't live with:
    Any O-lineman
    Terrence Cody
    Everson Griffen
    Demaryius Thomas

Can live with:
    Jerry Hughes
    Golden Tate
    Devin McCourty
    Brian Price
    Just out of curiousity, what is the rationale regarding Thomas?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there's anyone I would hate to pick, but I'd feel like we were reaching if we grabbed Odrick, Tate, Thomas, Price (doesn't even fit the D), Houston (I keep hearing E. Hood with him, but meh), or Tate.

I also would see the drafting of Pouncey as the first step in saying bye to Mangold, which kinda sucks.
    i know you're half-saying that just to stir the pot, but i would view the drafting of Pouncey as a very positive move.

for one, Pouncey is widely regarded as the draft's best interior lineman -- along with Iupati -- but with the added luxury that he can play 3, maybe 4 positions on the OL.

he not only would greatly improve our OL depth, but would be a great developmental prospect to have in place when Faneca's/Woody's skills start to deteriorate. and who knows? if extension negotiations with Mangold hit a snag, having Pouncey on the roster would give the Jets that extra bit of leverage. not exactly a terrible thing, either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There's better WRs available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I don't get too caught up in size. Not really a polished WR. Won a lot of jump balls, curious to see how he works underneath with routes and hands. I like high floor and high ceiling players. Injury for me would push him out of round 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My whole thing with Cody is he is a young man. Unless he gets on the biggest loser, as he ages, he is going to get much bigger. He has already shown a knack for disobeying his coaches when it comes to working out and getting fit.
    That's the exact opposite...

1 - He's a young man, so he actually also get into shape too. Obviously, genetically he was meant to be a big dude. That doesn't mean he can't learn to control his weight...which leads me to...

2 - Huh? He dropped something like 60 pounds for Saban at 'Bama, where he went in at over 400 pounds. Then he came into the Senior Bowl overweight...by combine he had last 32 pounds. Disobeying coaches...where?

3 - I literally hear nothing about Cody being disrespectful to anybody about anything. Character is actually a plus on the guy, even if he isn't a svelte 22 year old NT prospect.

2. We absolutely 2 gapped the entire time that Mangini was here.
    '83, we also 2-gap in this system. When you're mostly running with a 3 man line, and our base under Rex IS a 3 man line, then the ability for those 3 guys to eat up blockers (whether through sheer mass and power like Ngata/Jenkins, or technique and motor like Ellis/Pryce/Gregg) is a must. 2-gapping is the nature of the defense...It's not something that's significant once you get the pieces on the DL, and a guy who can 2 gap is obviously entirely capable of handling just one gap.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-05-2010 at 09:18 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could live with:
    Taylor Mays. My first choice, huge fan of his.
    Sergio Kindle. 2nd choice.
    Golden Tate. Will be a really good WR in the NFL, I'd like it.
    Damian Williams. Reggie Wayne clone, chemistry and good friends with Sanchez.
    Nate Allen. Wouldn't be ecstatic, but I like him a lot.
    Terrence Cody. Wouldn't love it or hate it, but I could live with it.

Couldn't live with:
    Devin McCourtney. CB isn't a first round need.
    Everson Griffen. More of a 4-3 DE.
    JPP. Not a fan.
    Maurkice Pouncey. I wouldn't be furious, but I'd rather it not happen. OL shouldn't be addressed in the first IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the exact opposite...

1 - He's a young man, so he actually also get into shape too. Obviously, genetically he was meant to be a big dude. That doesn't mean he can't learn to control his weight...which leads me to...

2 - Huh? He dropped something like 60 pounds for Saban at 'Bama, where he went in at over 400 pounds. Then he came into the Senior Bowl overweight...by combine he had last 32 pounds. Disobeying coaches...where?

3 - I literally hear nothing about Cody being disrespectful to anybody about anything. Character is actually a plus on the guy, even if he isn't a svelte 22 year old NT prospect.

'83, we also 2-gap in this system. When you're mostly running with a 3 man line, and our base under Rex IS a 3 man line, then the ability for those 3 guys to eat up blockers (whether through sheer mass and power like Ngata/Jenkins, or technique and motor like Ellis/Pryce/Gregg) is a must. 2-gapping is the nature of the defense...It's not something that's significant once you get the pieces on the DL, and a guy who can 2 gap is obviously entirely capable of handling just one gap.
    That is true, although we don't two gap nearly as much in this system... Especially certain positions.

Anyway, I agree regarding Cody being a good kid, and there is reason he can get in better shape.

That said... Cody is just not strong enough. He doesn't have the playing strength necessary to be a big time player. The odd thing about him is that he shows it occasionally, but typically guys who do that won't end up being a good pro.

He is very young so it will be more interesting when he gets his man strength a couple years from now. He seems to have the will to do well.

His senior bowl tape is just so bad though... Gets pushed around a number of times during the game and it was just so amazing to watch Dan Williams do almost anything he wanted all the while holding the point extremely well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouncey can play OG in the NFL, doesn't mean that Mangold is going if we drafted him. Could mean that Faneca is. Don't see the Jets letting the best center in football get away, they already had some contract talks with his agents I believe.

Players I can live with-
    Jerry Hughes
    Brandon Graham
    Demarius Thomas
    Golden Tate
    Mike Iupita
    Jared Odrick

Players I can't live with-
    Terrence Cody
    Any RB
    Any TE
    Can't think of any others right now.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 04-05-2010 at 10:46 PM.