Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: McNabb Traded to Redskins

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3547571]How many times could we have said the same thing?[/QUOTE]

the same can be said of pretty much any team. this is precisely the time of year to fix holes and make your team better for the next year.

unlike previous big splashes by the Redskins, however, i think they'll get their money's worth with McNabb.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3547571]How many times could we have said the same thing?[/QUOTE]

And what are teams like the Redskins supposed to do.....not try and get better simply because they've made moves in the off season in the past that didn't work out?

Its easy to spot a good roster/coaching move in hindsight. But, in the present, teams can only evaluate talent and team need to the best of their ability and act accordingly. Bringing up history as a factor in making a decision is something that fans can do, not Front Offices.

TX, if he was here, would call us the Off Season Champs of the AFCE. One day, that off season championship will be parlayed into a regular season championship (god willing). I hope the team doesn't turn down a move simply because trading for Favre didn't work out X many years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This didn't take long: Redskins and QB Donovan McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, have begun discussions for a contract extension

[url]https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Jet fan, I am extremely happy to NOT be involved in annual quarterback turmoil for the first time in a decade

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

it was a fair deal for both sides... skins win the short term in that they can create hope but it is like the favre trade in the sense that they aint winning the title with someone else's franchise QB... the eagles i suspect win the long term... they got a premium pick considering how many great players are in this draft... and kevin kolb is better than people think... he's perfect for that system and more accurate in short throws, which is andy's bread and butter.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3547675]it was a fair deal for both sides... skins win the short term in that they can create hope but it is like the favre trade in the sense that they aint winning the title with someone else's franchise QB... the eagles i suspect win the long term... they got a premium pick considering how many great players are in this draft... and kevin kolb is better than people think... he's perfect for that system and more accurate in short throws, which is andy's bread and butter.[/QUOTE]
    Winning consistently is great, beats throwing tickets in the garbage, but since 2005 it's like blue balls.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think i'll stick with andy reid on this one. mcnab has been injured just about every season and never did improve once went the the whole bulk up route. we'll see what shanahan will do but remember he's never played under quite the microscope he'll be under in washington. every tom, dick and congressman will be judging his team and its performance. he's another guy who has never developed a qb as head coach. nothing says he'll start now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3547610]And what are teams like the Redskins supposed to do.....not try and get better simply because they've made moves in the off season in the past that didn't work out? [/QUOTE]

Um...Crash? Did you read the thread (and my earlier replies)?

It would appear not. As your statment has nothing to do with my views on the trade.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3547584]the same can be said of pretty much any team. this is precisely the time of year to fix holes and make your team better for the next year.

unlike previous big splashes by the Redskins, however, i think they'll get their money's worth with McNabb.[/QUOTE]

They're gonna get at least two years out of McNabb. With Shanahan coaching him and Moss, Devin Thomas, Cooley, probably another receiver from the draft and hopefully an upgraded O-line he should give DC at least a couple good years.

Is McNabb's throwing sometimes less accurate than a Glenn Beck history lesson? Absolutely but he is still a good quarterback and way better than anything that franchise has had in a long time.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know the trade went down and everything but i think this is so crazy that nobody told cambell....

Campbell found out about McNabb trade from reporter

By Doug Farrar

Generally speaking, players would prefer to learn about trades that affect them from their actual team — that way, the team can do whatever damage control is necessary and assure the player in question that he's still a crucial part of their plans. The truth may be altogether different, but damage control isn't always about the truth.

What current (soon-to-be-former?) Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) now knows is that his team didn't think enough of him to let him know when they dropped the hammer on the Donovan McNabb(notes) trade. Campbell, who's been Washington's primary quarterback since 2007, found out about the trade when he got a phone call from John Keim of the Washington Examiner just after the deal was consummated.

Me: Did you hear about what happened?

Jason: What?

Me: The Redskins traded for Donovan.

Jason: Really? Ummm ... I didn't know that, man.

Me: I'm sorry I had to be the one who told you. I can't believe they didn't tell you.

Jason: No, that's the first I heard of it. ... I'd better go call my agent.

When I called back later, it went to voice mail. His mailbox was full.

Campbell has a first-round tender on his head that he hasn't signed, and that the Redskins will most likely rescind. According to ESPN 980, several teams are interested in Campbell's services — the Bills, Raiders, Panthers and Jaguars (plus an "unknown team") are reportedly in line to make offers.

Though his performance in Washington was far from elite, it's also fair to say that Campbell never got a fair shot. He dealt with different offensive coordinators and a declining offense as the Dan Snyder/Vinny Cerrato "brain trust" mowed the offense down with a series of questionable moves. A new start would be best for all involved, and Campbell will most likely get it.

At this point, he's probably just hoping that when he is traded, he won't have to hear about it first from a reporter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone think of a more polarizing NFL player than McNabb (in terms of talent)? There is absolutely no consensus on him. After reading everyone else's opinions, I still have no idea what type of player he'll be in Washington.

My hope is that he magically gets them to the playoffs, just because Rush Limbaugh shouldn't be proven (even kind of) right about anything.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skaoscar;3548025]Can anyone think of a more polarizing NFL player than McNabb (in terms of talent)? There is absolutely no consensus on him. After reading everyone else's opinions, I still have no idea what type of player he'll be in Washington.

My hope is that he magically gets them to the playoffs, just because Rush Limbaugh shouldn't be proven (even kind of) right about anything.[/QUOTE]

Looking for a QB, most players have talent that's why they are there...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3548058]Looking for a QB, most players have talent that's why they are there...[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what your point is...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3547868]Um...Crash? Did you read the thread (and my earlier replies)?

It would appear not. As your statment has nothing to do with my views on the trade.[/QUOTE]

I was agreeing with you - more of a follow up in response to Bit's point.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3548122]I was agreeing with you - more of a follow up in response to Bit's point.[/QUOTE]

Oh, gotcha. Looked like you were slamming me and I was all like "huh?:huh:"

:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3547537]Nor did I. Nor did any Redskins Fan, far as I know. Total shock move, the local sports media is falling all over itself for not having seen this coming in any form.

We'll see, as a Dan Snyder led Franchise could screw up anything. But with Shannahan and Allen in charge (and I think they ARE actually in charge, unlike any B&G administration before them in the Snyder Era), it would be unwise to discount them.

[B]With all that said, it could still go [U]very[/U] badly for McNabb if the b7G doesn;t aquire a serious pool of O-line talent post-haste.[/B][/QUOTE]

This is THE best assessment of the McNabb trade, and more of the point I was trying to make, you just said it waaaaayyyyy better :yes::D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3548160]This is THE best assessment of the McNabb trade, and more of the point I was trying to make, you just said it waaaaayyyyy better :yes::D[/QUOTE]

Skins should sign Flozell Adams. Like his style of play or not he is an effective LT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skaoscar;3548085]I'm not sure what your point is...[/QUOTE]

It takes a lot more than talent......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3548948]It takes a lot more than talent......[/QUOTE]

Right, gotcha. I'm just amazed at how little anyone can agree on McNabb.

Camp 1 thinks the Eagles couldn't win without him because they are a pass-heaving team and McNabb is the best athlete on the field - and the last decade of winning without good WRs has, supposedly, shown that.

Camp 2 thinks the Eagles have won all along because of a good defense and would've won the Superbowl at least once if McNabb wasn't such an inaccurate choke artist.

I think both are right and wrong. McNabb is a very good player. Big, athletic, strong armed and a leader. However, he's also injury prone and inaccurate when it matters. Without him, the Eagles would've been a worse team. With him, they can't win the big game.

In the end the Eagles would need to fill some holes on the team so his surrounding cast could carry him when he plays like ****.