Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Makes no sense to collect more picks

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Makes no sense to collect more picks

    Let me ask you guys a question:

    How many openings do you think we have on our 53 man roster?
    Answer: Not many

    How many areas on our roster are ripe for "upgrades"?
    Answer: Not many

    Here's the difference between the Pats & Jets at this moment:
    While the Pats have been trading out, trading back, and failing miserably over the last 4 years (even Pat's fans on this site admit this), the Jets have been hitting on all cylinders with Gholston being the real 1st miss.
    Revis- Harris- Keller- Mangold- Dbrick- Greene
    We have hit on most of our free agents:
    Pace- Jenkins- Fanaca- Woody- Scott- Leonard- Richardson-LT
    Pouha- Devito- Lowery- Brad Smith have stepped it up.
    Trades have brought us- Edwards & Cromarty
    Rex has his pet projects going in:
    Westerman- Pito-Cole- even Gholston who Rex will give another year too.

    Our QB is set with Sanchez

    Based on this why would you want the Jets to have more than the picks they already possess?
    I want the Jets to continue on the path that has got them where they are today. Using their excellent scouting department to target needs & get the best players they feel fill those needs.

    If that means trading away picks to move up if someone they want is there, so be it. This is not an easy team for some 7th rounder to just come on board for the ride, this is a team built for the next 3 years to compete for a superbowl.
    Last edited by jetster; 04-05-2010 at 10:41 AM.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,826
    Post Thanks / Like
    i read something this weekend, maybe on this draft board, where the scout said that in an average draft (assuming 1 pick per round, perhaps a compensatory selection), he expected to get 2.5 starters per draft. now, the assumption is that you will have your share of misses/busts to get those starters. the jets have been getting those starters with fewer picks. as long as you get your starters with your top picks, and they pan out as expected, you can fill in roster spots with lesser guys. the perception is that the draft is such an inexact science that you need many picks to ensure you hit on at least a few guys. the jets have been criticized for doing the opposite. but the bottom line is that as long as you get revis and harris in a draft, or get sanchez and greene in a draft, it's far easier to find a devito afterwards, if all you need is role players. or you can sign free agents.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i read something this weekend, maybe on this draft board, where the scout said that in an average draft (assuming 1 pick per round, perhaps a compensatory selection), he expected to get 2.5 starters per draft. now, the assumption is that you will have your share of misses/busts to get those starters. the jets have been getting those starters with fewer picks. as long as you get your starters with your top picks, and they pan out as expected, you can fill in roster spots with lesser guys. the perception is that the draft is such an inexact science that you need many picks to ensure you hit on at least a few guys. the jets have been criticized for doing the opposite. but the bottom line is that as long as you get revis and harris in a draft, or get sanchez and greene in a draft, it's far easier to find a devito afterwards, if all you need is role players. or you can sign free agents.
    They are right- A team like the Rams needs as many bodies in camp as they can muster. Look at Dallas right now, quite as clams. Cowboys are another team that will be very hard for this years draft group to crack the opening day starting roster.
    Look at the Jets right now:
    Needs- WR, DE, OLB, CB
    Rex uses multiple groups up front to keep them fresh
    If Westerman (rexs pet project pans out) that's one less need on the Jets
    Plus Rex has been tutoring Cole, probably as a nickle & dime substitute.

    Right now, with the way this team is constituted, the draft pick that has the highest % chance of seeing a lot of playing time would be a Wide Receiver, playing in the slot or in 4 wide sets.
    Picking at 29 Jets will have a really good chance of getting a stud wideout.

    The only positions at 29 that would see the field a lot are:
    #1- Wideout
    #2- DE
    #3- CB

    We'll see soon enough- 17 days to be precise

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that it doesn't make sense to come away from the draft with 8 players.

    But getting more picks means they can move around more and get the guys on their list. So maybe they can move down from 29 and then move back up into the 2nd or 3rd.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I agree that it doesn't make sense to come away from the draft with 8 players.

    But getting more picks means they can move around more and get the guys on their list. So maybe they can move down from 29 and then move back up into the 2nd or 3rd.
    My favorite scenario

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    My feeling on possible Jets areas to upgrade or not.

    QB: is just fine we do not need to draft a QB that is for sure.

    OLine: We seem to have okay depth guys IF they only have to go in for the odd play. Having Wayne Hunter or Robert Turner start for a significant length of time will be a big downgrade. We also have age and salary considerations on the o-line. I'd like to see an upgrade here.

    RB: We may look good in numbers but since the Jets like to 'pound' the ball I feel we need a backup thumper back more than a back up 3rd down back. (I still think Leon is not here next year. We could use a pick for a another thumper back.

    TE: We are okay here as Hartsock played decent last year and Keller is our pass catcher. Depth is an issue with both the blocking and pass catching TE position.

    WR: We are thin here as far as starting calibre players. Edwards really helped the team last year despite the drops, Cotchery is quality, after that need help. Also if Edwards disappoints or wants too much cash next year he is gone.

    DT: We did not suffer a massive drop off after Jenkins got hurt like I feared last years. However we are not young at this physically demanding position.

    DE: We have some age at this position that will have to be addressed. The players are fine.

    OLB: We could really use a pass rusher. I don't expect Gholston to turn on a light bulb though you never know.

    S - Quite thin, Pool is decent but has injury problems.

    CB- We are good here for starters perhaps could use an upgrade for a nickel back.

    ILB - No depth at all. Our starters are very good after that?

    In my mind you should play each draft on it's own merits. Don't always trade up, don't always trade down. See how things pan out.

    In this draft I do not favor trading up and would rather trade down which I know is a change.

    The draft is very deep, we could cover a lot of the questions I posed above with good prospects. A fair number of people poo pah depth but I think it is important. It can save a season if you have some injuires.

    Also, the Jets simply don't have tons of ammo to pull off a trade up and to really move into the top tier of players.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    My feeling on possible Jets areas to upgrade or not.

    QB: is just fine we do not need to draft a QB that is for sure.

    OLine: We seem to have okay depth guys IF they only have to go in for the odd play. Having Wayne Hunter or Robert Turner start for a significant length of time will be a big downgrade. We also have age and salary considerations on the o-line. I'd like to see an upgrade here.

    RB: We may look good in numbers but since the Jets like to 'pound' the ball I feel we need a backup thumper back more than a back up 3rd down back. (I still think Leon is not here next year. We could use a pick for a another thumper back.

    TE: We are okay here as Hartsock played decent last year and Keller is our pass catcher. Depth is an issue with both the blocking and pass catching TE position.

    WR: We are thin here as far as starting calibre players. Edwards really helped the team last year despite the drops, Cotchery is quality, after that need help. Also if Edwards disappoints or wants too much cash next year he is gone.

    DT: We did not suffer a massive drop off after Jenkins got hurt like I feared last years. However we are not young at this physically demanding position.

    DE: We have some age at this position that will have to be addressed. The players are fine.

    OLB: We could really use a pass rusher. I don't expect Gholston to turn on a light bulb though you never know.

    S - Quite thin, Pool is decent but has injury problems.

    CB- We are good here for starters perhaps could use an upgrade for a nickel back.

    ILB - No depth at all. Our starters are very good after that?

    In my mind you should play each draft on it's own merits. Don't always trade up, don't always trade down. See how things pan out.

    In this draft I do not favor trading up and would rather trade down which I know is a change.

    The draft is very deep, we could cover a lot of the questions I posed above with good prospects. A fair number of people poo pah depth but I think it is important. It can save a season if you have some injuires.

    Also, the Jets simply don't have tons of ammo to pull off a trade up and to really move into the top tier of players.
    That is the way it will pan out. If someone at the top of the Jets board gets tantilizingly close, Mikey T will pull the trigger if he can.
    We'll know if their board gets screwed up if they trade back @ 29. Personally, I don't think anyones going to "move up" to the 1st round from the 2nd because it costs so much more monetarily.

    The more I look at the board, the more I believe that wide receiver will be the best value for us at 29.
    Someone like Golden Tate or Damian Williams will really take this offense to another level.
    Edwards- Tate/Williams- Cotchery- Keller- LT out of the backfield
    That is a helluva lot of weopons for any defense to defend.

    Plus the Jets are always a threat to run so the balance of our offense could be deadly.
    We already upgraded the defense by getting Cromarty, signing Poole and getting Jenkins back. Westerman, Pito, Cole will probably be getting more playing time this year.

    If we could take our passing attack from 31st in the league to somewhere in the middle of the pack in the NFL and score more points per game, that alone will elevate our defense into another level. I wouldn't want to play the Jets from behind next year.
    Last edited by jetster; 04-05-2010 at 12:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    No WR is going to take our offense "to the next level" next year. The 2nd year QB barely got to know the 3 main guys he'll be throwing the ball to. You think the 4th guy is going to even see the ball that often...especially since Leon/LT probably make him the 5th guy?

    Grab a future #1 WR in 2011...There's no fire for that position in the first this year.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-05-2010 at 01:41 PM.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty of draft picks could make this team....

    QB - Probably not. We need more of a veteran if anything.
    RB - Probably not, but if we lose Leon we could.
    FB - I know Tanny talked up someone, but I doubt they really mean it. Long Term is needed.
    WR - Slot WR?, Depth, Depth, Depth.
    TE - Depth, Depth, Depth.
    OL - Depth, Depth, Depth.
    DE - Losing Douglas will open up a hole in our rotation.
    NT - Would be nice to have a young developmental type.
    OLB - Need a pass rusher.
    ILB - Depth, Depth, Depth.
    CB - Depth, Depth, Depth
    S - Need a Starter, Pool can't be counted on to stay healthy.
    K - As of now, we just have Folk.
    P - Average, at best.
    LS - I doubt Purdum is anything more then a placeholder until we get Dearth back, but if we lose him, we need one.

    Now, are these pressing needs? Perhaps not. But extra draft picks would help us fill some of these depth spots absolutely.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing that comes into this is the rookie factor. A lot of these guys take a year or more to figure the game out without being tossed into the fire. Looking ahead at holes a year or two down the road and drafting guys to fill those holes now is a good thing. The more raw rookies you have the more errors they are going to make.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The other thing that comes into this is the rookie factor. A lot of these guys take a year or more to figure the game out without being tossed into the fire. Looking ahead at holes a year or two down the road and drafting guys to fill those holes now is a good thing. The more raw rookies you have the more errors they are going to make.
    I understand that but until they change the 53 man rule, there are only so many players you can hide on your practice squad.
    Look at our 53 now & tell me who will be released?

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    No WR is going to take our offense "to the next level" next year. The 2nd year QB barely got to know the 3 main guys he'll be throwing the ball to. You think the 4th guy is going to even see the ball that often...especially since Leon/LT probably make him the 5th guy?

    Grab a future #1 WR in 2011...There's no fire for that position in the first this year.
    Maclin- Harvin- Britt- I know there's more
    There were a lot of rookie receivers that contributed to their teams last year.
    Middle of the field will be wide open now that LT has to be accounted for coming out of the backfield on 3rd down.
    * Do you guys realize how defenses did not have to account for our running backs at all on passing plays? People forget about this when they talk about LT. Sure he lost a step but that doesn't mean he can't get away from a linebacker or especially a DE falling back into short coverage.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be nice to get a nice beefy NT in this draft just in case Jenks is done. Pouha is good enough to start but we would have little depth... I guess DeVito could play the nose if asked to, but ideally you want him at end.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Let me ask you guys a question:

    How many openings do you think we have on our 53 man roster?
    Answer: Not many

    How many areas on our roster are ripe for "upgrades"?
    Answer: Not many

    Here's the difference between the Pats & Jets at this moment:
    While the Pats have been trading out, trading back, and failing miserably over the last 4 years (even Pat's fans on this site admit this), the Jets have been hitting on all cylinders with Gholston being the real 1st miss.
    Revis- Harris- Keller- Mangold- Dbrick- Greene
    We have hit on most of our free agents:
    Pace- Jenkins- Fanaca- Woody- Scott- Leonard- Richardson-LT
    Pouha- Devito- Lowery- Brad Smith have stepped it up.
    Trades have brought us- Edwards & Cromarty
    Rex has his pet projects going in:
    Westerman- Pito-Cole- even Gholston who Rex will give another year too.

    Our QB is set with Sanchez

    Based on this why would you want the Jets to have more than the picks they already possess?
    I want the Jets to continue on the path that has got them where they are today. Using their excellent scouting department to target needs & get the best players they feel fill those needs.

    If that means trading away picks to move up if someone they want is there, so be it. This is not an easy team for some 7th rounder to just come on board for the ride, this is a team built for the next 3 years to compete for a superbowl.
    The jets only have six picks and they could use a 3rd rd pick. TRADEOUT and get an xtra pick early on.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    It would be nice to get a nice beefy NT in this draft just in case Jenks is done. Pouha is good enough to start but we would have little depth... I guess DeVito could play the nose if asked to, but ideally you want him at end.
    Yes, need to pick up another NT for depth since there's so much attrition at the position

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us