Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Tate told me he thinks he will be drafted by jets

Tate would definitely be a great addition. I wouldn't mind the Jets tabbing him at 29 or even better trading up and taking him early in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    some prospects the first time they hear from a team is when they get drafted... so as to keep the secret. Denver was like that with Cutler. They didn't even talk to his agent. Not at the combine, senior bowl... nothing... Other teams they sweat em all season and then just take em... Jets did this with Vilma. it can go either way...

tate and thomas strike me as 2 prospects that think they are first rounders... and it might not end up that way for either of them... just because it is a super deep class.
    Plenty of them also tell players that they want to draft them with the expectation that they'll spill the beans in order to mislead other teams when they are setting up their draft day mocks/boards.

That's a good point because a lot of teams spend extensive time wining and dining players then go in a completely different direction come draft day.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    i think tate will be a good fit for the jets... he really likes sanchez also...
    I can't imagine he'd say anything else. In your conversation, did he express any concern about any other QBs or was otherwise luke warm on a team/player?

Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    We didnt talk to Sanchez for like a month before the draft. They say we saw him at the USC pro day and never contacted him after. Maybe Tate is just saying that he wants to be a Jet. Who doesnt these days? lol
    Tanny called him 6 hours before the draft...

On draft day, Tannenbaum arrived at the office at 7:30 a.m., hit the gym, and then furiously worked the phones before the start of the 4 p.m. draft. He called Sanchez in California at 10:15 a.m Eastern.

“I just want you to tell your parents they did a hell of a job raising you,” Tannenbaum told him, “and I’ll consider myself a successful parent if my kids turn out to be as nice and polite as you.

“Mark, I’ve been through a lot of drafts, and I’m not sure what’s going to happen. I just want to wish you the best. You might be a Jet, but there’s a better chance you won’t be. Either way, you’ve earned everything you’ve gotten and I hope you have a great career.”

The GM figured he could get Sanchez if he jumped from the 17th pick to Cleveland’s No. 5, but collected as much information as he could about the teams holding picks 1 through 4 – Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City and Seattle.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/01....html?page=all

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

On draft day, Tannenbaum arrived at the office at 7:30 a.m., hit the gym, and then furiously worked the phones before the start of the 4 p.m. draft. He called Sanchez in California at 10:15 a.m Eastern.

“I just want you to tell your parents they did a hell of a job raising you,” Tannenbaum told him, “and I’ll consider myself a successful parent if my kids turn out to be as nice and polite as you.

“Mark, I’ve been through a lot of drafts, and I’m not sure what’s going to happen. I just want to wish you the best. You might be a Jet, but there’s a better chance you won’t be. Either way, you’ve earned everything you’ve gotten and I hope you have a great career. The GM figured he could get Sanchez if he jumped from the 17th pick to Cleveland’s No. 5, but collected as much information as he could about the teams holding picks 1 through 4 – Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City and Seattle.

Interesting - I never saw a report of that conversation. Just wondering....how many draft picks do you think Tanny spoke to on draft day? I can't imagine that Sanchez was the only one (but maybe I'm wrong).

Edit: Holy sh!t....what a great article - I must have missed that the first time around. Great read for anyone that missed it. I was getting nervous myself just reading it, and it happened 11 months ago.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-06-2010 at 10:42 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    jets will trade their #2 and #4 and#5 to move up in round 2 to grab tate.
    thats right after they take corey wooten in round 1 with pick #29.
    That's pretty much the worst case scenario for me. Schleppy Wootton and a lesser Cotchery. God Help us all.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I can't imagine he'd say anything else. In your conversation, did he express any concern about any other QBs or was otherwise luke warm on a team/player?
    i hung out with these guys for the last 3 months in arizona.. we had a lot of conversations about a lot of players.... they all no i am just a huge jets fan so obviously that is what i talk about most....

we watched the jets games down the stretch together and all the players always compliment sanchez on his poise.. that he was able to go through a extremely up and down season and really keep it together and play some of his best football in the playoffs....

i also no a bunch of nfl wr who really like sanchez..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    i hung out with these guys for the last 3 months in arizona.. we had a lot of conversations about a lot of players.... they all no i am just a huge jets fan so obviously that is what i talk about most....

we watched the jets games down the stretch together and all the players always compliment sanchez on his poise.. that he was able to go through a extremely up and down season and really keep it together and play some of his best football in the playoffs....

i also no a bunch of nfl wr who really like sanchez..
    Cool - thanks for the 411, GI.....you get some real nice insider info - you sharing it here over the years is definitely appreciated.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

“Mark, I’ve been through a lot of drafts, and I’m not sure what’s going to happen. I just want to wish you the best. You might be a Jet, but there’s a better chance you won’t be. Either way, you’ve earned everything you’ve gotten and I hope you have a great career.”

The GM figured he could get Sanchez if he jumped from the 17th pick to Cleveland’s No. 5, but collected as much information as he could about the teams holding picks 1 through 4 – Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City and Seattle.

LOL I still think im right, I just cant find the footage. And draft day shouldn't count because most teams call potential draftees morning of the draft. The Seahawks called Mark and told him they'll take him if hes there at 4, but doubted he would be, and then passed on him for a LB. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    LOL I still think im right, I just cant find the footage. And draft day shouldn't count because most teams call potential draftees morning of the draft. The Seahawks called Mark and told him they'll take him if hes there at 4, but doubted he would be, and then passed on him for a LB. LMAO
    That's madness right there, and thank God for that