Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Duke Vs Butler - National Championship Game thread

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    Damn, that kid for the rest of his life is going to be reliving that shot over and over, to come that close and losing must be painful.

I only wish Gus Johnson was calling that shot, he would have died on air if that went in
    LOL, He seriously probably would have either had a heart attack or his head would have exploded. Gus blows his load on a 3 pointer 5 minutes into the game, never mind a half court chuck at the buzzer to win the national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    How do they compare?

The Butler Bulldogs and the Jets?
    Are you a Basketball fan and follow the game frequently? Just curious.
    How would you rate them one of the worst championship teams? Butler's defense kept in the game. Butler was in the game the ENTIRE time against one of the elite basketball programs ever. A 33 year old Brad Stevens against a legendary coach in Coach K. If Butler won tonight, it would have been the most ultimate achievements in NCAA history.

You couldn't disagree with me more about what the Jets are comparable to Butler?

College Basketball was alot more evened out this year, Look back at Nationial Championship teams of the past if you think Butler could have stayed in a game with North Carolina, Florida, Kansas of years past your crazy.

They shot about 35% the whole tournament, had spans in every game where they went almost 10 min without a field goal. Just playing good defense, doesn't win you games in Basketball. I don't think saying they would be one of the worst championship teams of all time is a stretch compared to years past.
    I'm comparing two defensive minded teams. That's what keeps them both in games. It wasn't their offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    How would you rate them one of the worst championship teams? Butler's defense kept in the game. Butler was in the game the ENTIRE time against one of the elite basketball programs ever. A 33 year old Brad Stevens against a legendary coach in Coach K. If Butler won tonight, it would have been the most ultimate achievements in NCAA history.
    Eh, I don't expect to change your opionion. But IMO you need to be able to hit your free throws and shoot at a quality percent along with playing great defense. Duke did not have a legendary team this year along with all American players. Comparing them to teams of the past, as a general discussion they don't stack up. There best players went 7 for 25 from the field. NCAA was watered down this year mainly because all of the one and done freshman. Butler had a fantastic run, but compared to past champions the teams have a vastly superior talent.
    I'm a diehard basketball fan, watch a ton of games, march madness is one of my favorite times of the year and if Butler won it would have been an amazing story.
    Alot more teams will start to emerge like butler I believe because they keep there starters for more than 2 years.

Durant Oden Conley Westbrook Mayo Hickson etc all these guys could still be in the tournament if they stayed more than a year, which would make the tournament even more incredible.

And after all that rambling, the main point is I lost a good amount of money when Butler kept winning, the further they for the more I lost which is why I wanted them to lose.

Eh, I don't expect to change your opionion. But IMO you need to be able to hit your free throws and shoot at a quality percent along with playing great defense. Duke did not have a legendary team this year along with all American players. Comparing them to teams of the past, as a general discussion they don't stack up. There best players went 7 for 25 from the field. NCAA was watered down this year mainly because all of the one and done freshman. Butler had a fantastic run, but compared to past champions the teams have a vastly superior talent.
    I'm a diehard basketball fan, watch a ton of games, march madness is one of my favorite times of the year and if Butler won it would have been an amazing story.
    Alot more teams will start to emerge like butler I believe because they keep there starters for more than 2 years.

Durant Oden Conley Westbrook Mayo Hickson etc all these guys could still be in the tournament if they stayed more than a year, which would make the tournament even more incredible.

And after all that rambling, the main point is I lost a good amount of money when Butler kept winning, the further they for the more I lost which is why I wanted them to lose.
    I can see your point on a lot of things. This years tournament has given me a new passion for it. Reason why Dukes players went 7/25 is because Butler's defense is great

Sorry you lost money. Bet it on the Jets next season.

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    Damn, that kid for the rest of his life is going to be reliving that shot over and over, to come that close and losing must be painful.

I only wish Gus Johnson was calling that shot, he would have died on air if that went in
    he would've died eve with it not going in. but you're right, his reaction wouldve been priceless if he had made it.

the Denver Cincinnati game was pretty funny also week 1, "STOKLEY STOKLEY STOKLEY STOKLEY STOKLEY!!!!!!"

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Just won a bunch of money on this game from vegas...i went three weeks ago and put money on duke winning th ewhole thing my odds were great 15-1 so i lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    Just won a bunch of money on this game from vegas...i went three weeks ago and put money on duke winning th ewhole thing my odds were great 15-1 so i lucked out.
    nice man....how much you put on it?

Pissed Duke won, we were all really into this game and almost everyone I was with was rooting for Butler......but hell of a game

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    nice man....how much you put on it?

Pissed Duke won, we were all really into this game and almost everyone I was with was rooting for Butler......but hell of a game
    i put down just 20 bucjs but the odds were like 15-2 a couple weeks ago which i thought was a long shot but after everyone crapped the bed i felt a little better...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shahataman View Post
    I disagree.

We should be proud we witnessed such a great game. Butlers got guts. They fought (they way the game was called) tooth and nail with NCAA Titans and were an inch off the glass away from glory.

Look at the execution on the last play off the free throw.

They did Indy proud.
    We are in total agreement, actually. My point was that last shot in no way "lost the game" for Butler...that kid has nothing to be ashamed of and that team played a game for the ages.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    you would be a duke fan.
    UNC, actually, but you know how we stick together, especially when 2 starters are from NJ.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    FUQ DUKE............
    NO FUQ STATE....

Jets Insider VIP
    The Basketball season officially ended last night

good riddence.

now we get rid of Hockey in 3 months and Baseball in the third week of July when NFL camps officially open

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    The Basketball season officially ended last night

good riddence.

now we get rid of Hockey in 3 months and Baseball in the third week of July when NFL camps officially open
    Sunshine!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Sunshine!
    OBSESSION!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    OBSESSION!!
    Ha ha , what happened to ignore?

You couldn't disagree with me more about what the Jets are comparable to Butler?

College Basketball was alot more evened out this year, Look back at Nationial Championship teams of the past if you think Butler could have stayed in a game with North Carolina, Florida, Kansas of years past your crazy.

They shot about 35% the whole tournament, had spans in every game where they went almost 10 min without a field goal. Just playing good defense, doesn't win you games in Basketball. I don't think saying they would be one of the worst championship teams of all time is a stretch compared to years past.
    duke couldn't compete w/ the UNC's, KU's and UF's of the past few years either. This was the weakest tourney ever and while last night's game was very exciting it was 2 mediocre teams battling for a National Title that felt like a 2nd rd or sweet 16 type of game w/ the talent on the floor.

I feel bad for butler who had the title stolen from them.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    duke couldn't compete w/ the UNC's, KU's and UF's of the past few years either. This was the weakest tourney ever and while last night's game was very exciting it was 2 mediocre teams battling for a National Title that felt like a 2nd rd or sweet 16 type of game w/ the talent on the floor.

Meanwhile UNC comes up short in the NIT WOW

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Must say, there were some horrendous fouls called.