Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Duke Vs Butler - National Championship Game thread

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets-R-Us View Post
    Meanwhile UNC comes up short in the NIT WOW
    bad seasons happen now and then, i'm glad the Heels earned their title a year ago. That team would have beaten this duke team by at least 30- that was a REAL Champion, not one that was handed a title.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    bad seasons happen now and then, i'm glad the Heels earned their title a year ago. That team would have beaten this duke team by at least 30- that was a REAL Champion, not one that was handed a title.

Have fun hanging that 2nd place NIT banner

No matter what the 2010 champs are the Duke Blue Devils

I enjoyed the fact that both teams don't have a bunch of 1st round NBA players so if that's how you measure success so be it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the fact that both teams don't have a bunch of 1st round NBA players so if that's how you measure success so be it
    I can take the NIT stuff when the Heels have 2 titles(EARNED) in the last 5 years.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can take the NIT stuff when the Heels have 2 titles(EARNED) in the last 5 years.
    We can go all day but i will stop / not a sore winner

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can go all day but i will stop / not a sore winner
    huh?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    huh?

J-E-T-S jets jets jets

Can we agree on that ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    J-E-T-S jets jets jets

Can we agree on that ?
    of course but we can have some fun hating our other teams, right? I don't take it personal and I hope you don't as well.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    of course but we can have some fun hating our other teams, right? I don't take it personal and I hope you don't as well.

Works for me

Now on to football

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    LOL -- 19 year olds who look like soccer moms. That was true when I was at Duke in the early 90's. Some things never change.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for Duke/UNC banter, but that's just plain ig'nant. This year's Duke team is MUCH better than last year's and last year's lost to UNC by 14 and then 8. I'm not saying that this year's Duke team would beat last year's UNC team (and I definitely don't think they would) but using last year's head to head results as a guide, it would most likely be single-digit loss not a 30-point blowout. This is definitely not a great Duke team (see 2001 for an example of what one of those looks like), but they are a lot better than many are giving them credit for.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    LOL -- 19 year olds who look like soccer moms. That was true when I was at Duke in the early 90's. Some things never change.
    I spent some fun weekends down at Duke in the 90s. My buddy lived in the house where the whole Duke lacrosse fiasco took place. When the TV reports came out, my first reaction was "I know that house..."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I spent some fun weekends down at Duke in the 90s. My buddy lived in the house where the whole Duke lacrosse fiasco took place. When the TV reports came out, my first reaction was "I know that house..."
    I had a similar reaction when I first heard. Fiasco is right. My view of my alma mater has been permanently altered by the way that was (mis)handled.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for Duke/UNC banter, but that's just plain ig'nant. This year's Duke team is MUCH better than last year's and last year's lost to UNC by 14 and then 8. I'm not saying that this year's Duke team would beat last year's UNC team (and I definitely don't think they would) but using last year's head to head results as a guide, it would most likely be single-digit loss not a 30-point blowout. This is definitely not a great Duke team (see 2001 for an example of what one of those looks like), but they are a lot better than many are giving them credit for.
    Last year's duke team was better, they looked better this year b/c of weaker competition.

Carolina was a completely different team in the Tourney winning all 6 by at least 12 and in most cases they could have won by alot more.

Last year's Carolina team would have humiliated this average duke team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year's duke team was better, they looked better this year b/c of weaker competition.
    Ummmm . . . no. Duke was much worse last year. I think your love of UNC is clouding your analysis. The NCAA pool was bad last year and bad this year too. This year's Duke team is better than the lousy MSU team that UNC beat in the championship last year. Last year's Duke team would have had no chance against that MSU team . . . . or this year's Duke team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    no point in starting a new thread for this...

GOOO UCONNNNN!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not into beave sports, except for that crazy lil girl trying to run with the big boys. But go UCONN.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ummmm . . . no. Duke was much worse last year. I think your love of UNC is clouding your analysis. The NCAA pool was bad last year and bad this year too. This year's Duke team is better than the lousy MSU team that UNC beat in the championship last year. Last year's Duke team would have had no chance against that MSU team . . . . or this year's Duke team.
    Last year's field was not great either but it was MUCH better than this weak field. This year's MSU squad made the FF and nearly beat Butler w/o their starting PG and this year's MSU was MUCH worse than last year. MSU '09 would have thrashed duke '10, in a normal year duke '10 and Butler '10 are lucky to be sweet 16 teams let alone play for a national title.

duke '09 was better than duke '10, don't let the weak sched and creampuff road to a title fool you. duke beat 2 sweet 16 bound teams in the non conf in '09, they didn't face a single team all year in '10 that made the sweet 16.

This was BY FAR the weakest year EVER in college basketball. MSU, UConn or 'Nova '09 would have smoked these FF teams, the elite 8 teams from a year ago would have smoked these FF teams.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Not into beave sports, except for that crazy lil girl trying to run with the big boys. But go UCONN.
    It could be uconn girls rowing team and i'll be out representing my team.

I'm not a fan at all of girl sports either, but after watching uconn girls for the past two games, i'm thoroughly impressed with moore and charles. I might actually start watching more uconn girls games just to watch moore...what she did last night for the team was unreal...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year's field was not great either but it was MUCH better than this weak field. This year's MSU squad made the FF and nearly beat Butler w/o their starting PG and this year's MSU was MUCH worse than last year. MSU '09 would have thrashed duke '10, in a normal year duke '10 and Butler '10 are lucky to be sweet 16 teams let alone play for a national title.

duke '09 was better than duke '10, don't let the weak sched and creampuff road to a title fool you. duke beat 2 sweet 16 bound teams in the non conf in '09, they didn't face a single team all year in '10 that made the sweet 16.

This was BY FAR the weakest year EVER in college basketball. MSU, UConn or 'Nova '09 would have smoked these FF teams, the elite 8 teams from a year ago would have smoked these FF teams.
    LOL. Not sure what you are basing this on other than your love for UNC and your dislike for Duke. John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Wesley Johnson would have been among the best players in the nation last year, just as they are this year. What you are conveniently forgetting is that many college players improve from year-to-year, so you can't just say that subtracting player X from a 2009 team means that the 2010 team is necessarily worse. Nolan Smith and Brian Zoubek are totally different players this year. In the course of a year (or, in Zoubek's case, a year-and-a-half) they developed from total scrubs to difference-makers. Their development alone makes this year's Duke team significantly better than last years. That '09 Nova team you like so much basically replaced their front court with Yarou, King and an improved Pena and brought back all of their backcourt stars (including their most important '09 player, Reynolds) and added Wayans. Those teams are very comparable, yet one made it to the final four and the other got shellacked by a team that got shellacked by Baylor, which in turn lost to 2010 Duke.

You could just as easily make the case that the '09 field was weaker (e.g. Kentucky '10 and UNC '09 are very comparable in terms of overall talent, but the former couldn't even make it to the final 4 in this year's "strong" field and UNC '09 coasted to the title against last year's "weak" field). I'm not willing to take the argument that far, but suffice it to say that both the '09 and '10 fields were pretty weak. That's what happens when the talent pool gets watered down by so many early NBA departures.