Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Baklava

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Baklava

Spent Easter with the family doing the usual stuff candlelit mass etc. My aunt brings this delish Jewish pastry/dessert baklava. Man it was fantastic and was the most popular aftermeal treat with coffee etc. :yes:

I know we have a few Jewish members here, that stuff was irresistable. Have to spend a few more hours on the treadmill now after all that feasting. :(

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe baklava is of Middle Eastern and Turkish descent. It wasn't until the Greeks traveled to Mesopotamia and recreated the dish by rolling out "fillo" and mastered the dough technique to making baklava. From Greece, it traveled to Armenian, Persian, Egyptian, Assyrian, Serbian, Hungarian and even French chefs were brought to Constantinople to learn how to make it.

Quite the desert though and I ate so much that i exploded.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;3547991]Spent Easter with the family doing the usual stuff candlelit mass etc. My aunt brings this delish Jewish pastry/dessert baklava. Man it was fantastic and was the most popular aftermeal treat with coffee etc. :yes:

I know we have a few Jewish members here, that stuff was irresistable. Have to spend a few more hours on the treadmill now after all that feasting. :([/QUOTE]

It's not Jewish it is Turkish and i have the bomb recipe because i am Turkish...If you want the recipe just let me know my mom makes it pretty well...
    Last edited by BigJet85; 04-06-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigJet85;3547997]It's not Jewish it is Turkish and [B]i have the bomb recipe[/B] because i am Turkish...[/QUOTE]

Ummmmmm...:eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3548066]Ummmmmm...:eek:[/QUOTE]

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahaHAH

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3547995]I believe baklava is of Middle Eastern and Turkish descent. It wasn't until the Greeks traveled to Mesopotamia and recreated the dish by rolling out "fillo" and mastered the dough technique to making baklava. From Greece, it traveled to Armenian, Persian, Egyptian, Assyrian, Serbian, Hungarian and even French chefs were brought to Constantinople to learn how to make it.

Quite the desert though and I ate so much that i exploded.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BigJet85;3547997]It's not Jewish it is Turkish and i have the bomb recipe because i am Turkish...If you want the recipe just let me know my mom makes it pretty well...[/QUOTE]

Well done, guys.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As it was rightly pointed out Baklava is of Turkish origin. And it has lots of different ways of preparing it.

In the Antep region they make it with pistachios, in the maraş region with walnuts some don't have any nuts but only clotted cream,some have sweet syrup poured on them some are dry etc.

If you want the real stuff in New York this probably is the place to go:

[URL]http://www.gulluoglubaklava.com/[/URL]

I've never been to the New York branch but they are one of the most well known brands even in Turkey so I assume that it should be good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3548199]As it was rightly pointed out Baklava is of Turkish origin. And it has lots of different ways of preparing it.

In the Antep region they make it with pistachios, in the maraş region with walnuts some don't have any nuts but only clotted cream,some have sweet syrup poured on them some are dry etc.

If you want the real stuff in New York this probably is the place to go:

[URL]http://www.gulluoglubaklava.com/[/URL]

I've never been to the New York branch but they are one of the most well known brands even in Turkey so I assume that it should be good.[/QUOTE]

Guys thanks for the comments and advice, I stand corrected. Turns out my aunt learnt it as a child from her Jewish grandmother (now deceased). Really loved the baklava and will follow up on your suggestions. Thanks again.
    Last edited by FijiJet; 04-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Other Hard-to-pronounce foods I enjoy include Halvah.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Greek painter that used to do work on our house used to bring his own homemade baklava for us. That stuff was sooo damn good.

He was a great guy. Not all the time you have someone come to do work on your house and they bring you food, haha.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3548825]Other Hard-to-pronounce foods I enjoy include Halvah.[/QUOTE]

I loves me some Baba ghanoush. I do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mom makes some awesome Baklava, and she makes a dish called Baklava cheesecake :drool::drool2::drool::drool2::drool::drool2:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3549173]My mom makes some awesome Baklava, and she makes a dish called Baklava cheesecake :drool::drool2::drool::drool2:[/QUOTE]

Whoa......... Baklava cheesecake............just Whoa.....

So like....

...............Is your Mom, like, seein' anyone?...:cool:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3549181]Whoa......... Baklava cheesecake............just Whoa.....

So like....

...............Is your Mom, like, seein' anyone?...:cool:[/QUOTE]

I SAW HER FIRST!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3549163]I loves me some Baba ghanoush. I do.[/QUOTE]

You know what's funny? I hate menudo, but I love saying it!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3548825]Other Hard-to-pronounce foods I enjoy include Halvah.[/QUOTE]

WCO - if you like helva try it like this: Put enough shredded carrots to cover the base of the portion in tin foil drizzle just a little molasses and put the helva on top and add a little lemon juice. Heat it up for about 15 minutes but don't overcook it! It should be soft when it comes out not burnt.

I personally don't like helva that much but this is great.

Baklava Cheesecake??? WLF??? :confused:
    Last edited by The Turk; 04-07-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;3548832]A Greek painter that used to do work on our house used to bring his own homemade baklava for us. That stuff was sooo damn good.

He was a great guy. Not all the time you have someone come to do work on your house and they bring you food, haha.[/QUOTE]

Tell the Greek painter to keep the baklava, but bring the ouzo.