Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Food Appreciation Thread

Greek Food Appreciation Thread

Having been banished to the ethnic-less washington DC area, I must express my deep missing of, and love for, quality Greek-American dining.

While I have a few decent enough places I've located over the years down here....they all pale in comparison to the amazing Greek I recall from my youth in New York.

So I dedicate this thread, for our foodie hamper population, to a celebreation of Greek-American cuisine!

All League
    Go to Samos in Baltimore. Worth the trip.

[URL]http://www.samosrestaurant.com/[/URL]

During the Summer, I do lots of grilled lamb or pork marinated simply as the Greeks would: olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, oregano, and sometimes yogurt.

[URL=http://img580.imageshack.us/i/p12702424.jpg/][IMG]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8462/p12702424.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 04-06-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I could eat boatloads of moussaka :drool:

[IMG]http://gemaube.unblog.fr/files/2007/07/moussaka003.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3548129]Having been banished to the ethnic-less washington DC area, I must express my deep missing of, and love for, quality Greek-American dining.[/QUOTE]

Think DC is bad....try Western NY. We have Bob Evans, Applebee's and Denny's. :barf:

I'm with you...I really miss a couple of great Greek joints that were in the New Paltz area where I lived. I was in those places 1-2 times a week. :yes:

[QUOTE=Section109Row15;3548132]Go to Samos in Baltimore. Worth the trip.

[URL]http://www.samosrestaurant.com/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Heya Section!

I assure you, when I am in Baltimore there is one and only one ethnicity I am persuing, food wise: POLISH!

There is a place in Fells Point that does the hands down best Eastern EU/Polish food, so much so that my Polish-soon-to-be-inlaws love it. no way I can be in Baltimore and not have a plate full of pierogies and kielbasa.

:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Warfish;3548129]Having been banished to the ethnic-less washington DC area, I must express my deep missing of, and love for, quality Greek-American dining.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3548169]Think DC is bad....try Western NY. We have Bob Evans, Applebee's and Denny's. :barf:

[/QUOTE]

If either of you are so inclined, sounds like a great business opportunity, even if there isnt a Greek for 300 miles.

The place by me is packed 7 days a week and does a great take-out business and I havent seen a Greek in there yet.

:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Too funny, my co-worker and I have this argument with another co-worker almost daily.

The two of us being Italian, the other being through-and-through Greek--as to who's food reigns supreme.

I like Greek food a lot, went to a great restaurant in NYC last month called Milos where the allegedly fly in the seafood every day.

My only quarrel is that all too often, nearly every Greek fish I have ever eaten is basically the same--broiled, baked, roasted, grilled, poached--it's topped with olive oil, lemon, garlic and oregano. Maybe some capers or olives. Still delicious, but very similar.

Having said that, nothing better than chicken souvlaki from a Greek diner :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3548129]Having been banished to the [B][I]ethnic-less washington DC area[/I][/B], I must express my deep missing of, and love for, quality Greek-American dining.
    [/QUOTE]

:huh:
    You must be talking about NoVa out near Dulles. DC itself is filled with ethnic cuisine. Adams-Morgan area in particular. Even Arlington has plenty of ethnic places. If you are limited to areas like Manassas, Springfield, and distant Fairfax and Prince Williams Counties, you may be correct. DC itself however is chock full of good ethnic cuisine. You just have to venture out of your rural comfort zone.;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3548180]If either of you are so inclined, sounds like a great business opportunity, even if there isnt a Greek for 300 miles.

The place by me is packed 7 days a week and does a great take-out business and I havent seen a Greek in there yet.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

Is that the place with the Acropolis coffee cups?

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3548197]:huh:
    You must be talking about NoVa out near Dulles. DC itself is filled with ethnic cuisine. Adams-Morgan area in particular. Even Arlington has plenty of ethnic places. If you are limited to areas like Manassas, Springfield, and distant Fairfax and Prince Williams Counties, you may be correct. DC itself however is chock full of good ethnic cuisine. You just have to venture out of your rural comfort zone.;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I should have been more specific. I mean the transitory, short-history, ethnic-less (apart from some middle-eastern and hispanic, food wise) Northern Virginia Suburbs. Arlington is ok, Alexandria is even better, although the very best places I have found there are all Middle-Eastern/Asian/Afghani, generally.

As good as some of the cuisine may be in Washington itself, I prefer not to go into the City if I can help it. One only needs a gun pulled on them a few times to make an impression.

And in my experience, the "best" places in DC that I have been too were almost universally dissapointing compared to their equivalents in other cities, especially New York. Over-priced and underwhelming.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3548129]Having been banished to the ethnic-less washington DC area, I must express my deep missing of, and love for, quality Greek-American dining.

While I have a few decent enough places I've located over the years down here....they all pale in comparison to the amazing Greek I recall from my youth in New York.

So I dedicate this thread, for our foodie hamper population, to a celebreation of Greek-American cuisine![/QUOTE]

Hey Warfish, can you cook? I'm half Greek half Persian and I can give you some recipies from difficult to easy to cook.

Veteran
    Close enough to post here I guess...

I had this last night

[IMG]http://img1.blogcu.com/images/m/e/l/meltemmutfakta/zeytinyagli_yaprak_dolma.jpg[/IMG]

Stuffed vine leaves a little white cheese (feta) and some raki...

But I miss Katz's deli like mad if its any consolation to you all :D

[QUOTE=JStokes;3548187]Too funny, my co-worker and I have this argument with another co-worker almost daily.

The two of us being Italian, the other being through-and-through Greek--as to who's food reigns supreme.

I like Greek food a lot, went to a great restaurant in NYC last month called Milos where the allegedly fly in the seafood every day.

[B]My only quarrel is that all too often, nearly every Greek fish I have ever eaten is basically the same--broiled, baked, roasted, grilled, poached--it's topped with olive oil, lemon, garlic and oregano. Maybe some capers or olives. Still delicious, but very similar.[/B]

Having said that, nothing better than chicken souvlaki from a Greek diner :yes:[/QUOTE]

It will sound like a contradiction, but that simplicity of ingredients and preparation is what makes it a great cuisine. Adherence to a traditional Greek diet--small portions of meat, fish, olives and olive oil, loads of vegetables, etc.--has been shown to extend a person's life appreciably. Of course, that means eating grilled octopus--one of my favorite dishes on Earth--for lunch, not a hero.

[URL=http://img51.imageshack.us/i/grilledoctopus.jpg/][IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5645/grilledoctopus.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE=The Turk;3548214]Close enough to post here I guess...

I had this last night

[IMG]http://img1.blogcu.com/images/m/e/l/meltemmutfakta/zeytinyagli_yaprak_dolma.jpg[/IMG]

Stuffed vine leaves a little white cheese (feta) and some raki...

But I miss Katz's deli like mad if its any consolation to you all :D[/QUOTE]

NICE!

I grew up in upstate NY and my mother had grape vines she grew in the back yard. A few times a year we would collect the leaves and pickle them. My mother made some great home made dolmeh.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I like gyros!

btw is it pronounced Jiro or Yero?...I heard people calling them yero's in Fla this Feb, I didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

One of my favorites. Pomegranate chicken...

[IMG]http://www.gourmania.com/images/articles/pomegranate_chicken.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3548215]It will sound like a contradiction, but that simplicity of ingredients and preparation is what makes it a great cuisine. Adherence to a traditional Greek diet--small portions of meat, fish, olives and olive oil, loads of vegetables, etc.--has been shown to extend a person's life appreciably. Of course, that means eating grilled octopus--one of my favorite dishes on Earth--for lunch, not a hero.

[URL="http://img51.imageshack.us/i/grilledoctopus.jpg/"][IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5645/grilledoctopus.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Stokes - The Marmara and Aegean has the best tasting fishes anywhere. It's murder to pour sauce - any sauce - over some of the beuties we enjoy here.

Borgo - have you tried pickled octopus? I think you might enjoy it better than the grilled.

Thank god - deep frying everything has not caught on here yet. I think it kills the flavour of most things.

Greaser, if you're half persian you should also have some great rice recipes yes?

[QUOTE=The Turk;3548229]Stokes - The Marmara and Aegean has the best tasting fishes anywhere. It's murder to pour sauce - any sauce - over some of the beuties we enjoy here.

[B]Borgo - have you tried pickled octopus? I think you might enjoy it better than the grilled.[/B]

Thank god - deep frying everything has not caught on here yet. I think it kills the flavour of most things.

Greaser, if you're half persian you should also have some great rice recipes yes?[/QUOTE]

I have had it stewed (Sicilian style), but never pickled. Thanks for the tip, TT. I will try to check it out.

[QUOTE=The Turk;3548229]
    Greaser, if you're half Persian you should also have some great rice recipes yes?[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Some basmati rice with saffron and a hint of rose water topped with a grilled tomato.

..or for desert rice pudding with a tiny splash of orange blossom water and sweet saffron if you like.

..or another sweet dish you may like is a tatziki type of rice with dill, yogurt, raisins and small amount of sugar.

My wife is korean and her rice is so mushy. She doesn't get the long beautiful basmati grains.