Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN article: Teams that missed out on Rex Ryan

Imagine Rex in a tiny market like Buffalo with the cr*p they have there. That's why Rex came to the big city and became the messiah of NY Jets football :)

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=sg3;3548621]SAR has been subjected to too many Boston and other New England newspapers lately up there in Chowd-land North[/QUOTE]

Glass half full: Rex Ryan is the man! AFCCG in his first year, Super Bowl right around the corner! Motivation and an ass-kicking defense is all we needed!

Glass half empty: We've seen 9-7 wildcard teams get hot, make a run, have their HC's annointed "the next Lombardi!" and fall back to mediocrity over and over and over and over and over...NFL history is littered with them.

I love Rex's swagger. But I do not think he did anything innovative on the offensive side of the ball, didn't like the way he took the ball out of Mark Sanchez' hands in a Championship Game when his running game was obliterated, didn't like his immature attitude at times during the season.

Quick! Name the HC's of the Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons whose 2008 teams discovered their franchise QB's and were "sure things to make it to the Super Bowl" in 2009. What do we think of those two today? History is littered with 9-7 wildcards who get hot late and go on a run. History is not littered with 9-7 wildcards who reach the podium of glory in the following season.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;3548556]STOP! Hammer Time.

Listen, I love Rex as much as the rest of us, but please, let us not forget....

1. Slow to react to Sanchez' failings, took the reins of the offense with the color-coded system 3 or 4 weeks too late.

2. Immature behavior which he himself admits wasn't productive or beneficial to the team.

3. Belligerent playcalling at Miami, refusing to call timeouts, smugly thinking his wiltering defense could somehow get the first 3-and-out of the game.

4. The Buffalo debacle where a better coach never has his superior team in such a lousy position against such a lousy opponent. Bad as Sanchez was, no way we lose that game.

5. Ditto home for Miami. Ditto home for Jacksonville. Three terrible losses by a seemingly unmotivated and uncreative team.

6. Failure to see Shone Greene as an emerging back. Waited until Oakland and the Leon injury. Turns out to be the Injury Of The Year or the Top Coaching Move Of The Year. Either way, shouldn't have taken that long to see that the team's MVP was sitting on the bench half the season.

7. The second-half suicide at Indianapolis. Yes, the script was to control Sanchez and win it on the ground. Yes, it had worked perfectly for a month as we made our surprising surge. No, once Shone Greene went down we shouldn't have let Thomas Jones take a knee and let Peyton Manning have the ball and our Super Bowl.

Like I said, Ryan's a breath of fresh air and is a great addition to the club. But his maturity and strategy are definitely in question. Let's see how he does in Year 2. He's got big shoes to fill, seeing that anything less than a return to the AFCCG would be considered a disappointment.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty good rebuttal. Another year of losses like the ones mentioned and Rex's star will certainly dim. Is he the guy who got the team to the AFCCG, or is he the guy who didn't even know the team wasn't officially disqualified after the ATL loss? Rex has raised the bar extremely high, and failing to capitalize on our current talent will have the Joe Beningos & Rich Ciminis of the world waiting with pitchforks. Even fielding a great defense like the one they had last year won't save Ryan in NY if the Jets fail to make the playoffs in consecutive years for any reason.

Again, I have all the confidence in the world when it comes to Rex (as we all should), but Rex could very easily be the Buccaneer version of Tony Dungy. Mangini can't hold a candle to Rex's coaching ability, but I think we've all forgotten how enamored we were with Mangini in '06 before pulling a complete 180 on him in '07.

All League
    What no one has mentioned is that Rex was a rookie HC. Rookies make mistakes. Most importantly, it appeared to me that he was learning from his mistakes. He had a great rookie year but I agree with those who say the second year will be telling.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3548556]STOP! Hammer Time.

Listen, I love Rex as much as the rest of us, but please, let us not forget....

1. Slow to react to Sanchez' failings, took the reins of the offense with the color-coded system 3 or 4 weeks too late.

2. Immature behavior which he himself admits wasn't productive or beneficial to the team.

3. Belligerent playcalling at Miami, refusing to call timeouts, smugly thinking his wiltering defense could somehow get the first 3-and-out of the game.

4. The Buffalo debacle where a better coach never has his superior team in such a lousy position against such a lousy opponent. Bad as Sanchez was, no way we lose that game.

5. Ditto home for Miami. Ditto home for Jacksonville. Three terrible losses by a seemingly unmotivated and uncreative team.

6. Failure to see Shone Greene as an emerging back. Waited until Oakland and the Leon injury. Turns out to be the Injury Of The Year or the Top Coaching Move Of The Year. Either way, shouldn't have taken that long to see that the team's MVP was sitting on the bench half the season.

7. The second-half suicide at Indianapolis. Yes, the script was to control Sanchez and win it on the ground. Yes, it had worked perfectly for a month as we made our surprising surge. No, once Shone Greene went down we shouldn't have let Thomas Jones take a knee and let Peyton Manning have the ball and our Super Bowl.

Like I said, Ryan's a breath of fresh air and is a great addition to the club. But his maturity and strategy are definitely in question. Let's see how he does in Year 2. He's got big shoes to fill, seeing that anything less than a return to the AFCCG would be considered a disappointment.

SAR I[/QUOTE]SAR, Greene was fumbling under pressure. He was on the bench because he couldn't hold the ball. Rex did a great job bringing him along; #6 = swing and a miss.

I love having Rex as our coach, but I just don't get what the benefit of Rex trash talking w/ opposing fans is?

IMO, all this does is annoy opposing players and COULD lead to them trying some sort of cheap shot some day when the Jets are thumping another team by 20 or more points in the 4th quarter.

I love the confidence he instills in our players. I truly do. And I don't want that to change. However, I don't think he needs to get into pissing matches w/ fans to prove his loyalty to his players...

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3548639]Good post. Nearly the same personnel as Mangini had and Rex had it at #1 in his first year.

If Rex accomplishes nothing else, he'll at the minimum have our defense in the top-5 every season, which means we should be legit contenders every season.

Add some good QB play and a little luck, and who knows...[/QUOTE]

Rex is definatly a better defensive coach than Mangini but you can't compare there defenses talent wise from there first seasons.

Remember Mangini was taking over a 4-3 team and installing a 3-4 defense, by the time Rex came along Mr. T and Mangini had already stacked the team with A LOT more talent that fits the defensive scheme.

Mangini didn't have the best CB in the game in Revis.

Mangini best LBer that year was arguably Bryan Thomas (who was in his first year playing LBer at that) you can argue he is the weakest starter on Rex's Defense at LBer.

In the middle who would you take in a 3-4? Vilma and Barton or Harris and Scott?

Also Rex had Jenkins for roughly half the year, Mangini had D-Robertson at NT LOL!!!

Mangini had a younger Kerry Rhodes and younger Sean Ellis, but other than that Rex had by far better personal, not even close.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

^

I was comparing Mangini's 3rd season (2008) to Rex's 1st season (2009). All the same personnel except for Ryan brought on Marques Douglas and Jim Leonhard.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3548784]^

I was comparing Mangini's 3rd season (2008) to Rex's 1st season (2009). All the same personnel except for Ryan brought on Marques Douglas and Jim Leonhard.[/QUOTE]

Also added Scott and Sheppard.

EDIT: Harris was hurt for a good part of Mangini's last season too.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 04-06-2010 at 07:18 PM.

All League
    Rex Ryan? Best coach in the NFL? Really? When did that happen?

I gotta get me some of whatever it is youze guyz is drinkin.

[QUOTE=SMC;3548606]Year 2 is the key to definitely say that Rex is a good HC. He's a great DC, but there is still an I (incomplete) as a HC. He had half a team last year as they carried a rookie QB. Let's see a complete team out there in 2010.

Yes, it may be unfair to hinge whether Rex is a good HC on what Sanchez does. But so what? Tom Brady made Bill Belichick into a soon-to-be HoFer and I don't see Belichick complaining.

The Jets have not improved on a winning season since 1998 (9-7 in 97 and 12-4 in 98). That's mind boggling.

More glaring is the fact that the Jets have NEVER improved record-wise a year after making the playoffs. That's in their entire franchise history.

If the Jets can do both, then Rex will solidify himself as a good HC regardless of what happens in the playoffs. A lot of crazy stuff happens in the postseason. Yes, a failure to make the AFCCG again would be a dissapointment but it won't look badly on Rex as a losing season, failing to make the playoffs would look.[/QUOTE]

Rex is a good coach and we should see some progress in Year 2 as he grows in the role, through he certainly had his fair share of growing pain in his 1st year. Sanchez should blossom into a more complete quarterback after a year's experience in the system not to mention the playoff where he really showed what he could do - he has a very high ceiling. Expect Rex to be more even tempered and mature, he expressed this goal of his after the finger incident where he was disciplined.

All the players should be more familiar with the system and with each other within their team Offence (Braylon & Sanchize, Greene) Defence (returning Jenks, DL) etc. Also we should replenish through the draft. Expect a lift in effort and performance across the board, already the players are hard at work in the offseason with their 212 degrees mantra.

Agree with you that the barometer this season should be a winning record and making the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;3548792]Rex is a good coach and we should see some progress in Year 2 as he grows in the role, through he certainly had his fair share of growing pain in his 1st year. Sanchez should blossom into a more complete quarterback after a year's experience in the system not to mention the playoff where he really showed what he could do - he has a very high ceiling. Expect Rex to be more even tempered and mature, he expressed this goal of his after the finger incident where he was disciplined.

All the players should be more familiar with the system and with each other within their team Offence (Braylon & Sanchize, Greene) Defence (returning Jenks, DL) etc. Also we should replenish through the draft. Expect a lift in effort and performance across the board, already the players are hard at work in the offseason with their 212 degrees mantra.

Agree with you that the barometer this season should be a winning record and making the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of the above, but I reserve judgment on calling Rex a "good HC" rather than a great DC with HC responsibilities.

I'm a big fan of Rex and I think this team will be better in 2010 than it was in 2009. But for me to say that Rex is a good HC then this team needs to produce on the field this year. That's what good HCs do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=PaPZ187;3548789]Also added Scott and Sheppard.

EDIT: Harris was hurt for a good part of Mangini's last season too.[/QUOTE]

And Pace was suspended for 4 games, and Jenkins was out for half of last season :huh:

I'm not sure I'm getting your point here man.

Mangini completely failed to get the defense to play at a high level in three seasons. Rex got it to #1. We can debate the reasons why but the those are the facts
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=SMC;3548802]I agree with all of the above, but I reserve judgment on calling Rex a "good HC" rather than a great DC with HC responsibilities.

I'm a big fan of Rex and I think this team will be better in 2010 than it was in 2009. But for me to say that Rex is a good HC then this team needs to produce on the field this year. That's what good HCs do.[/QUOTE]
    You are reserving judgement until the Jets prove they can win without the element of surprise.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3548812]And Pace was suspended for 4 games, and Jenkins was out for half of last season :huh:

I'm not sure I'm getting your point here man.

Mangini completely failed to get the defense to play at a high level in three seasons. Rex got it to #1. We can debate the reasons why but the those are the facts[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree with you.

As I already stated in my first post IMO Rex is definatly a better Defensive Coach than Mangini.

I was just pointing out Rex did have more to work with on D, feel Mangini wasn't great but wasn't as bad as some make him out to be either.

I believe Mangini didn't deserve to get fired after his third year with us, but in the end it worked out as we got Rex due to it.

Still can't believe Rex was an assistant and coordinator for 10 years with the best Defense over that period before he got a chance at being a HC. Baltimore hiring Harbaugh over him was a bad move IMO, although he has had very good sucess in his first two years with them so far.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3548904]Still can't believe Rex was an assistant and coordinator for 10 years with the best Defense over that period before he got a chance at being a HC. Baltimore hiring Harbaugh over him was a bad move IMO, although he has had very good sucess in his first two years with them so far.[/QUOTE]

i think the lack of success from lewis, del rio, and nolan as HC's helped contribute to that too.

All League
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3549218]i think the lack of success from lewis, del rio, and nolan as HC's helped contribute to that too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah good point.

Its not like guys that were excellent D coordinators like Rex have been lighting the NFL on fire as HCs lately. I'm sure his outgoing personality/outspoken voice and weight issues didn't help Rex either with most owners. I'm glad Tanny and Woody took the chance on him, so far so good.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3548693]Glass half full: Rex Ryan is the man! AFCCG in his first year, Super Bowl right around the corner! Motivation and an ass-kicking defense is all we needed!

Glass half empty: We've seen 9-7 wildcard teams get hot, make a run, have their HC's annointed "the next Lombardi!" and fall back to mediocrity over and over and over and over and over...NFL history is littered with them.

I love Rex's swagger. But I do not think he did anything innovative on the offensive side of the ball, didn't like the way he took the ball out of Mark Sanchez' hands in a Championship Game when his running game was obliterated, didn't like his immature attitude at times during the season.

Quick! Name the HC's of the Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons whose 2008 teams discovered their franchise QB's and were "sure things to make it to the Super Bowl" in 2009. What do we think of those two today? History is littered with 9-7 wildcards who get hot late and go on a run. History is not littered with 9-7 wildcards who reach the podium of glory in the following season.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

As with any new commander, a learning curve is to be expected. Ryan, in recognition of his defensive concentration delegated offensive control to Schottenheimer and by extension, Sanchez' development.

To Ryan's credit, when Sanchez and Schottenheimer fell into the morass at the midpoint of the season, he did not respond towards the other extreme and take total control of the offense; he merely provided guidelines under which it would operate.

Ryan's offensive strategy did not require innovation; it required establishing a foundation for consistency, something conventional opinion deems difficult to achieve with a rookie QB, regime, strategy and even new players.

Ryan's insolence could also have served as a psychological ploy; by makeing himself the focus of media scrutiny and opposing resentment, he reduces the psychological pressure on the team- especially one led by a roookie QB with a presumably fragile psychological situation.

I am not familiar with Atlanta's situation with Ryan, but Baltimore's strategy in the playoffs in 2009 was the obverse of Ryan's in 2010. Flacco was limited to a relative handful of passing attempts and the running game with defense predominated. Ryan actually loosened the reigns on Sanchez, even letting him pass on critical plays in v. Cinci and SD.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3548831]You are reserving judgement until the Jets prove they can win without the element of surprise.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Damn, WCO, if you said that earlier you could have saved me alot of words. LOL.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=SMC;3550226]Yep.

Damn, WCO, if you said that earlier you could have saved me alot of words. LOL.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks; I paraphrase Mike Pettine: "We are going to have to really execute; it's a copy cat league, and we are going to have to win without the element of surprise."

It's on the NewYorkJets.com site under JetsTV. 3 2-minute episodes; Pettine talks Cro, the core of the defense, and what they need to do this year to keep on winning.