Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN article: Teams that missed out on Rex Ryan

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN article: Teams that missed out on Rex Ryan

Link:

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12237/should-your-time-have-hired-rex-ryan[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad the Jets finally pulled the trigger and hired Ryan. I was pulling for the past couple of year for us to bring him in as the DC but having him as the HC has worked out perfectly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank god everyone else passed on him for whatever reason. i don't know if he's the best hc the jets have had or if he'll be great. however, he's on the right track and as of right now, he's my favorite hc we've had in a long time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy was coaching in the same spot for 10 years...everyone "missed" on Rex Ryan...if you want to call a guy who's success as a HC to this point is as likely a flash in the pan as it is a sign of future greatness.

Not that I don't think that he's set up perfectly for greatness here...He definitely is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    right now, or at least last season, the jets are in the post mangini reflex mode. dumping favre and then getting sanchez really sent the team a message. the edwards trade helped too.

i think ryan has certainly done some good things here but this is the first of a few make/break seasons. the jets finish 11-5 or so (barring serious injuries) then they finally have a real keeper for a coach. if they wallow about 8-8, then the whole ryan thing will need to be rethought.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love what Rex did last year, but let's not forget people here were calling our last coach the "man-genius" after his first season. We know how that ended.

Greatness is not having one good season. It's sustaining it over the long term. I'm encouraged by what I've seen from this coach so far, but let's relax until he gets a few more seasons like this under his belt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3548329]I'm glad the Jets finally pulled the trigger and hired Ryan. I was pulling for the past couple of year for us to bring him in as the DC but having him as the HC has worked out perfectly.[/QUOTE]

the Jets couldn't have brought him in as a DC. he was already a DC. it would have been a lateral move.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was the perfect for the Jets just as the Jets were the perfect match for him. Right time, with the right players and the right personnel.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you knuckleheads are following the link in that story on why the Jets are the new team to hate - its AWESOME! :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    we are truly lucky to land the best coach in the NFL

Thank you Mr Johnson, It took three tries and too huge blunders but eventually you

GOT ER DONE

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan is a great football coach. The Jets are very lucky to have him.

But as we saw with Pennington's first year, and Mangini's, the NFL is a league that is very dependent upon coaching and preparation. The Jets' opponents next season have been and are preparing right now to play them, looking at last season's tapes. When you change coaches, or quarterbacks, preparation becomes harder. Thus, a surprise factor and a better than expected season.

This season will tell alot. I will be rooting very hard for the Jets to win. However, with several key players getting older, and opposing coaches having more to prepare to play the Jets with, I would not be surprised to see a bit of a letdown season. I hope I am wrong, but we will see.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the read. (:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is insane to compare Mangini to Rex is an outright insult!!!! The day that Mangini has the number 1 defense in the NFL is the day that I will no longer be watching NFL football, , and I was someone who did NOT want Mangini fired!!!!

To say that you can't see the difference between the Jets teams under the two respective coaches is ridiculous. Indeed Mangini wasn't that a great of a DC, remember Bellichick took away his play calling ability during his one season as Pats DC. :eek:

You are kidding me right, it is simple the Jets NEVER had a defense play the way they did last year for entire season, EVER, except maybe in 1969 (Great Defense) during their championship run and perchance during the sack exchange tenure.... Are you guys Jets fans:huh:

All I can say is Good Grief!!!:(

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3548506]we are truly lucky to land the best coach in the NFL
    [/QUOTE]

STOP! Hammer Time.

Listen, I love Rex as much as the rest of us, but please, let us not forget....

1. Slow to react to Sanchez' failings, took the reins of the offense with the color-coded system 3 or 4 weeks too late.

2. Immature behavior which he himself admits wasn't productive or beneficial to the team.

3. Belligerent playcalling at Miami, refusing to call timeouts, smugly thinking his wiltering defense could somehow get the first 3-and-out of the game.

4. The Buffalo debacle where a better coach never has his superior team in such a lousy position against such a lousy opponent. Bad as Sanchez was, no way we lose that game.

5. Ditto home for Miami. Ditto home for Jacksonville. Three terrible losses by a seemingly unmotivated and uncreative team.

6. Failure to see Shone Greene as an emerging back. Waited until Oakland and the Leon injury. Turns out to be the Injury Of The Year or the Top Coaching Move Of The Year. Either way, shouldn't have taken that long to see that the team's MVP was sitting on the bench half the season.

7. The second-half suicide at Indianapolis. Yes, the script was to control Sanchez and win it on the ground. Yes, it had worked perfectly for a month as we made our surprising surge. No, once Shone Greene went down we shouldn't have let Thomas Jones take a knee and let Peyton Manning have the ball and our Super Bowl.

Like I said, Ryan's a breath of fresh air and is a great addition to the club. But his maturity and strategy are definitely in question. Let's see how he does in Year 2. He's got big shoes to fill, seeing that anything less than a return to the AFCCG would be considered a disappointment.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3548556]Like I said, Ryan's a breath of fresh air and is a great addition to the club. But his maturity and strategy are definitely in question. Let's see how he does in Year 2. He's got big shoes to fill, seeing that anything less than a return to the AFCCG would be considered a disappointment.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Year 2 is the key to definitely say that Rex is a good HC. He's a great DC, but there is still an I (incomplete) as a HC. He had half a team last year as they carried a rookie QB. Let's see a complete team out there in 2010.

Yes, it may be unfair to hinge whether Rex is a good HC on what Sanchez does. But so what? Tom Brady made Bill Belichick into a soon-to-be HoFer and I don't see Belichick complaining.

The Jets have not improved on a winning season since 1998 (9-7 in 97 and 12-4 in 98). That's mind boggling.

More glaring is the fact that the Jets have NEVER improved record-wise a year after making the playoffs. That's in their entire franchise history.

If the Jets can do both, then Rex will solidify himself as a good HC regardless of what happens in the playoffs. A lot of crazy stuff happens in the postseason. Yes, a failure to make the AFCCG again would be a dissapointment but it won't look badly on Rex as a losing season, failing to make the playoffs would look.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3548506]we are truly lucky to land the best coach in the NFL

Thank you Mr Johnson, It took three tries and too huge blunders but eventually you

GOT ER DONE[/QUOTE]

YES THE BEST HEAD COACH IN THE NFL. THEY SHOULD RENAME THE LOMBARDI TROPHY THE REX RYAN TROPHY. ALL THE COACHES IN THE LEAGUE SHOULD EMULATE HIM AND GET FAT THEN HAVE SURGERY THEN MAYBE THEY'LL BE A LITTLE BIT MORE LIKE THE GOAT OF COACHING.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR has been subjected to too many Boston and other New England newspapers lately up there in Chowd-land North

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    To say Rex is a great head coach right now is premature however I firmly believe that he has the opportunity to be one of the great head coaches of all time. In order to be in that strata he needs to win multiple championships, that is pretty much the only criteria. All the other stuff, his talking, strategy, personnal, mean nothing. All coaches say things, do things, and have strategies and personnal decisions that fans and media disagree with. The only thing you can't disagree with is winning championships. Given his football knowledge, people skills, confidence and drive to be the best, that opportunity is in front of him. But it all boils down to the Lombardi's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;3548539]This is insane to compare Mangini to Rex is an outright insult!!!! The day that Mangini has the number 1 defense in the NFL is the day that I will no longer be watching NFL football, , and I was someone who did NOT want Mangini fired!!!!

To say that you can't see the difference between the Jets teams under the two respective coaches is ridiculous. Indeed Mangini wasn't that a great of a DC, remember Bellichick took away his play calling ability during his one season as Pats DC. :eek:

You are kidding me right, it is simple the Jets NEVER had a defense play the way they did last year for entire season, EVER, except maybe in 1969 (Great Defense) during their championship run and perchance during the sack exchange tenure.... Are you guys Jets fans:huh:

All I can say is Good Grief!!!:([/QUOTE]

Good post. Nearly the same personnel as Mangini had and Rex had it at #1 in his first year.

If Rex accomplishes nothing else, he'll at the minimum have our defense in the top-5 every season, which means we should be legit contenders every season.

Add some good QB play and a little luck, and who knows...
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIGHT NOW

best coach in NFL History

INDISPUTABLE