Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our DL is full of ???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3548599]Has there even been a sniff of interest from another team about Douglas? If we don't go DL early in the draft, I'm not sure why we don't bring him back for one more year. Howard Green is a goner so there's still one spot open on the roster for a Lineman, and Douglas improved nicely as the year went on. I wouldn't mind him back at all.[/QUOTE]

+1 i wouldn't mind him back either. It might be one of those wait and see situations how the draft plays out...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548588]I love the DL.[/QUOTE]

You 'love' the DL? I don't see how. Tons of question marks there.

[QUOTE]Jenks is coming back. Gotta love #77.[/QUOTE]

We all love #77. And we also all know that he's very injury prone and approaching the end of his career.

[QUOTE]Ellis has been the most consistent Jets player for the last decade, no one plays bigger in divisional games.[/QUOTE]

I've always been a huge Ellis fan, but like you just said, the guy has been here for a decade and his time is coming to an end.

[QUOTE]Pouha was extremely solid when Jenks was out.[/QUOTE]

Pouha stepped up bigtime when Jenkins was out, but I'm not banking on Pouha to play up to '09 status if called upon.

[QUOTE]Devito is the king of hustle.[/QUOTE]

Sure, he has a lot of hustle and is great in pursuit. Still don't know if he's starting material, none of us do.

[QUOTE]Pitoitua is a young stud in the making.[/QUOTE]

Based on what exactly?

[QUOTE]even Kroul and Steinkuhler have potential.[/QUOTE]

Their nothing more than PS material at this point. That's like me saying "hold off on taking a receiver guys, Britt Davis and Marcus Henry have potential."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devito and Pouha showed they are legit players during Big Jenks absence... I think we need a pure pass rusher rather than say a D-Lineman. If the best pass rusher on the board at 29 is a DE, great... but more likely to be a n OLB. I am still a little scared of drafting DE-OLB hybrid projects since so many of them bust. It will be interesting to see what Tanny and Co. do come April 22.

I will be at the New Stadium partaking in the Draft Festivities and see it all go down!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548600]Rex has a long history of finding gems in the late rounds or after the draft, especially on defense. (Marques Douglas, Bart Scott, Jim Leonard... Bannan, Gregg etc).

Rex Ryan doesn't need a first or second rounder to replace Marques Douglas.

Especially when Marques Douglas is still on the open market.[/QUOTE]

And Ozzie Newsome, the best GM in football, had nothing to do with bringing some of those guys in?

Either way, this argument is very old. You can find diamonds in the rough at any position late in the draft.

Do we NEED a first or second rounder at DE? I dunno, do we NEED a first or second round pick at receiver when we already have Braylon and Cotch in the fold?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3548617]
    Do we NEED a first or second rounder at DE? I dunno, do we NEED a first or second round pick at receiver when we already have Braylon and Cotch in the fold?[/QUOTE]

the Jets have 5 decent DL options, they start 3. The Jets have 2 decent WR options, they start 2. which is the bigger need?

btw- pitoitua was active for 8 games and did well last year. it's not like comparing him to britt davis.

ellis and jenks are older but aren't gonna turn into a pumpkin in 2010. both should be operating at a high level.

also should be noted CB is a need as well.. same as WR... they start 2 CB and have 2 CB. but because of the money revis should get i dont know if they use the first rounder on the position.

you all know me, i love offense and defensive lineman... this year the NY Jets need fast little guys!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3548617]
    Either way, this argument is very old. You can find diamonds in the rough at any position late in the draft.
    [/QUOTE]

the Jets found Mike devito a couple years ago. They also found Pito. the last time they "found" a Wr was when? Wayne Chrebet?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548654]the Jets have 5 decent DL options, they start 3. The Jets have 2 decent WR options, they start 2. which is the bigger need?

btw- pitoitua was active for 8 games and did well last year. it's not like comparing him to britt davis.

ellis and jenks are older but aren't gonna turn into a pumpkin in 2010. both should be operating at a high level.

also should be noted CB is a need as well.. same as WR... they start 2 CB and have 2 CB. but because of the money revis should get i dont know if they use the first rounder on the position.

you all know me, i love offense and defensive lineman... this year the NY Jets need fast little guys![/QUOTE]

What exactly is your idea of 'decent'?

You think Pito is a good player but guys like Brad Smith and Dwight Lowery are basically zero's?

Pito didn't stand out last season to anyone but you it seems.

We're probably going to need two new starting DE's within the next two years. Not to mention that we'll probably need a new NT as well. I'd rather not just put it off and let an already big need turn into an absolute dire need. Ryan's defense revolves around D-Line play. Just because he found a few guys like Gregg and Bannan out of nowhere in Baltimore doesn't mean we should bank on him doing the same here.

When you draft a player in the first round, you're hoping that player becomes a starter. No receiver we draft is going to start, no corner that we draft is going to start.

Now, if we take a guy like Odrick he might not start right away, but you can bet your ass that he would steal a lot of snaps away from DeVito and your boy Pito before eventually taking over as a full time starter in 2011.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    c'mon, enough dissing the defense for the colt game. bart scott and jones were playing on one leg and shonn greene was knocked out too. the pass rush is not going to come from the line as much as from the lb's like pace and thomas. the line is mainly for containment and to collapse the pocket. why is jones and greene mentioned? because if those two guys are healthy then they may have run all over the colts in the second half. see how peyton did against the saints.

[QUOTE=Schroy48;3548417]Will Jenkins be able to make it to the playoffs? Probably not (why expect anything different this year from a 400 pounder?)

Will Ellis show his age? (he already does 2 games a season where you dont notice he's on the field)

Who's our 3rd DLineman who's going to terrorize opponents?

Can we beat Manning with not much chaos caused by our line? Umm, no.

Will Tanny move up to grab a blue chip DE? ;)

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3548507]another Schroy thread

another DUMP in the making[/QUOTE]

+1, the worst.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548657]the Jets found Mike devito a couple years ago. They also found Pito. the last time they "found" a Wr was when? Wayne Chrebet?[/QUOTE]

Chansi Stuckey in the 7th round a few years ago was a great pickup. That's one guy I really wish we didn't have to part with. Would be ideal as our slot receiver.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3548674]
    Just because he found a few guys like Gregg and Bannan out of nowhere in Baltimore doesn't mean we should bank on him doing the same here.
    [/QUOTE]

why not? he's got a knack for it

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3548674]
    When you draft a player in the first round, you're hoping that player becomes a starter. No receiver we draft is going to start, no corner that we draft is going to start.
    [/QUOTE]

serious question isn't Braylon Edwards suspended week 1? a round 1 WR could literally be a week 1 starter.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548703]

serious question isn't Braylon Edwards suspended week 1? a round 1 WR could literally be a week 1 starter.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if that's a sure thing. He pled no contest to a stupid fight at a bar. I don't recall Justin Miller ever getting suspended. It probably doesn't rise to the level of Ellis getting caught with weed in his car (probably smoking it), so I'm not so sure that Braylon will actually get suspended. He might, but it could go either way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, Edwards is not suspended, there is no issue there heading into the season.

Second, I agree with Bit a bit (no pun intended), that we are in better shape on the DL than some think.

I love Devio, Pouha, and the potential of Pitoitua. I think Kroul can be a player as well.

I do think we need to address DE in the draft, and would not be opposed to a move for Terrence Cody. That said, I think we address CB or WR, maybe safety depending on the player, and we address DL later on. Ryan likes the under the radar player and one of his strengths is developing that player into a well rounded DL'n.

I don't know why so many are already trying to push Jenkins into retirement, the guy is only 30 years old, that is young when you compare him to other very good DT's in the league, especially as a NT. DT/NT's can play at a high level into their mid-30's, Pat Williams, Ted Washingon, Jason Ferguson, Jamal Williams before his injury are examples of this. If #77 is healthy, we got an MVP type player leading our Defense on the DL. Keep in mind the Pats just resigned Wilfork to a big contract, for 6 years who is only 2 years younger than Jenkins.

Food for thought...
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 04-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3548417]Will Jenkins be able to make it to the playoffs? Probably not (why expect anything different this year from a 400 pounder?)

Will Ellis show his age? (he already does 2 games a season where you dont notice he's on the field)

Who's our 3rd DLineman who's going to terrorize opponents?

Can we beat Manning with not much chaos caused by our line? Umm, no.

Will Tanny move up to grab a blue chip DE? ;)

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

i see people bashing this post, but i don't see anything that deserves bashing.

the Jets had the #1 ranked defense in a season that had zero - count them - zero elite defenses. all of the top defenses fell off in production, including the Ravens, Bears and Vikings.

our defensive line cannot be depended upon to dominate an OL for an entire season (Jenkins will never be truly healthy for an entire NFL season again, stop your wiashful thinking, people - i love the guy but it's a simple fact), and that is exactly what great defenses do.

what would be a move that could put us over that top? Suh looks like he could prison rape any guard/tackle combo that tried to push through a block to get to Pace or Harris. Suh could be the player that put us in the category of elite defenses - as an END.

we would still require a NT to spell Jenkins and eventually take over that position, although with a guy like Suh at end we could put that off for a year.

i don't see another defensive tackle in this draft that would make the difference in Rex's scheme that Suh would. McCoy screams 4-3/3T and Odrick seems like more of a block-holder than a player that can impose his will on offensive linemen.

this is coming from someone that has been against trading up as a practice, even if i liked the results. the only player i would trade up for in this defense is Suh. it's crazy, i know, and it would cost a ton, but i drool at what he would bring to the table.
    Last edited by Lazy Bum; 04-06-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3548446]Cody looks like he'll have a heart attack before his 24th birthday. he's an undisciplined pig. and he's slow.[/QUOTE]

Really? Tell that to the SEC teams he wreaked havoc on in the last two seasons.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 04-06-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3548860]Really? Tell that to the SEC teams he wreaked havoc on in the last two seasons.[/QUOTE]

offensive linemen tend to get bigger at the pro level. Cody can eat blocks like nobody else, but he is about as fast as an armadillo in August. we're going to need someone that can do more than just lean against all-pro centers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    pouha looked good to me. I am sure that he has matured into a very good nose tackle.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548703]why not? he's got a knack for it [/QUOTE]

Okay, hypothetically Belichick has a knack for finding late round QB's (Brady/Cassel). So, when it comes time to replace Brady should the Pats avoid a bluechip QB and go with a 6th or 7th round pick to lead their franchise?

[QUOTE]serious question isn't Braylon Edwards suspended week 1? a round 1 WR could literally be a week 1 starter.[/QUOTE]

The charges were dropped against Braylon. I doubt Goodell does anything.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing, I think the dropoff in DL talent is bigger than the dropoff in receiver talent between picks 29 and 61.

If we don't get a DL at #29, the quality is going to fall pretty drastically by the time we go on the clock in round 2. That is unless we trade up.

Names like Odrick, Cody, Price, Alualu, Houston, Wootton, and maybe even Carrington/Jones will be long gone by then IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;3548875]pouha looked good to me. I am sure that he has matured into a very good nose tackle.[/QUOTE]

Pouha made strides last year, but you still don't want him as a starter. He's a solid backup at the nose who can fill in when necessary.

He's not exactly a spring chicken either. The guy is 31 years old now and was 25/26 when we drafted him.