Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Our DL is full of ???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3548863]offensive linemen tend to get bigger at the pro level. Cody can eat blocks like nobody else, but he is about as fast as an armadillo in August. we're going to need someone that can do more than just lean against all-pro centers.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the guy play or are you another idiot obsessed with how he runs 40 yards in a straight line? He faced top competition in the SEC. The guy can play and wouldn't even have to be a full-time player for us just spell Jenkins (who is coming back from torn knee ligament) and Pouha (who overachieved last year).

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3548863]offensive linemen tend to get bigger at the pro level. Cody can eat blocks like nobody else, but he is about as fast as an armadillo in August. we're going to need someone that can do more than just lean against all-pro centers.[/QUOTE]

lean on them the first quarter then get blown off the line from the second quarter on....for every one good play cody makes he'll get torched on four...speed aside he's just not explosive, strong or athletic...never mind the fact he's a two-down player....

I'll take a shot on aleric mullins/UNC later on...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3548581][B]Pouha only did an excellent job [/B]in his place. If nothing else, we should be able to pace him better now that we have a [B]great backup[/B].

A small risk, but given how well he played last year I'm not inclined to think he's going to fall off a cliff next year.

That Mike Devito guy is [B]pretty damn good[/B].....

In our system, the terror is going to be caused by the linebackers. Namely, the outside linebackers. We need [B]another pass rusher[/B], IMO.

Absolutely not. Mainly because there's nobody worth trading up for at DE, that's within our reach, but also because I think they're completely content giving the starting job to Devito. If anything, I think they might look to replace Devito's former role as the [U]3rd DE in the 2nd or 4th rounds[/U].[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly how I see it as well. Build depth but lets not overreact. Also need more passrushing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3548907]lean on them the first quarter then get blown off the line from the second quarter on....for every one good play cody makes he'll get torched on four...speed aside he's just not explosive, strong or athletic...never mind the fact he's a two-down player....

I'll take a shot on aleric mullins/UNC later on...[/QUOTE]

Eh he would only have to be a "two-down player" for at least the first couple years with this team with Jenkins and Pouha also playing. So much for that bs. But hey, having D-line depth pisses you off somehow I guess.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3548898]Have you seen the guy play or are you another idiot obsessed with how he runs 40 yards in a straight line? He faced top competition in the SEC. The guy can play and wouldn't even have to be a full-time player for us just spell Jenkins (who is coming back from torn knee ligament) and Pouha (who overachieved last year).[/QUOTE]

I have seen him play 5 times this year the fact that you're reacting so angrily makes me think that you are a bit over-obsessed with him without being objective (or maybe even intelligent) about his physical ability. Go obsess at someone else, with your worthless posts and personal attacks.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3548929]Eh he would only have to be a "two-down player" for at least the first couple years with this team with Jenkins and Pouha also playing. So much for that bs. But hey, having D-line depth pisses you off somehow I guess.[/QUOTE]

yeh- taking slobs in the first round is always sound football strategy....just like trading for busted up old veterans on the downside like richard seymour....:yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3548945]LMAO

yeh- taking slobs in the first round is always sound football strategy[/QUOTE]

So this is a slob:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcdJMpgyEWk[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7p6ugH6rQ&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwPPSXMy2E[/url]

Plus he lost a bunch of weight for his weigh-in and is considered a good kid by all of his coaches. 2X All-American and All-SEC. Go back to scouting for your fantasy team while watching NFL Network.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 04-06-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO...unfuqin real....

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3548957]So this is a slob:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcdJMpgyEWk[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7p6ugH6rQ&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwPPSXMy2E[/url]

Plus he lost a bunch of weight for his weigh-in and is considered a good kid by all of his coaches. Go back to scouting for your fantasy team while watching NFL Network.[/QUOTE]

yeh- scouting a prospect should be done from youtube highlights....:shakehead:shakehead

and he lost a bunch of weight.....from 375lbs down to a svelt 348lbs....move over valerie bertinelli!!! :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3548961]LMAO...unfuqin real....

yeh- scouting a prospect should be done from youtube highlights....:shakehead:shakehead

and he lost a bunch of weight.....from 375lbs down to a svelt 348lbs....move over valerie bertinelli!!! :yes:[/QUOTE]

If only we could have a thin Nose Tackle like a Dewayne Robertson. Our run D would be awesome.

You are so off-base with this guy it is ludicrous at times. What team do you scout for? Your boyfriends' kid's Pop Warner team? I don't know if you are qualified even for that.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO...

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3548969]If only we could have a thin Nose Tackle like a Dewayne Robertson. Our run D would be awesome.

You are so off-base with this guy it is ludicrous at times. What team do you scout for? Your boyfriends' kid's Pop Warner team? I don't know if you are qualified even for that.[/QUOTE]

I don't stand a chance against your football intellect....:thumbup:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why can't Devito start? In limited role last year he had 19 stops and 7 pressures, he was pretty good.

I really like Devito, I felt like he had a future on this team since the first time I saw him at training camp a few years ago.

We'll add DL in the draft, could be round 1, could be round 2, could be anywhere.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3548957] Go back to scouting for your fantasy team while watching NFL Network.[/QUOTE]

lmao:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    just to review

if the Jets do nothing to add defensive line

when week 1 rolls around they will have the exact same unit,

minus Marques Douglass, Howard Green and plus Kris Jenkins.

same exact unit that was part of the league's #1 defense

Doesn't seem like a problem... or full of ??? as the orig poster said

DL seems like a strength

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3549033]just to review

DL seems like a strength[/QUOTE]

Bit, I respect your knowlege but you're way off base in saying that the DL is a strength.

Again, there are tons of questions surrounding the group. Jenkins' health status is up in the air, Ellis is getting long in the tooth, we don't know if DeVito can make the transition to full-time starter, we don't know if Pouha stepped it up last year or simply overachieved. We don't know if guys like Kroul and Steinkuhler are anything more than practice squad material.

The whole D-line is one big question mark.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3549033]just to review

DL seems like a strength[/QUOTE]

OK...if they add no one at WR they get Alllison back, Leon back, Tomlinson in, Keller in his 3rd year, Braylon in his first full Sanchez season...

Also, if you really buy that our 2009 DL could hold up as a top D over multiple years then I thank Jah you're not running this team. That is not a championship caliber DL, and it's at least partially why we got ripped by the Colts. It's actually pretty f*ckin obvious.

Seeming and being are two different thing...Terrence Cody SEEMS like a fat tub of lard who doesn't work hard this offseason because people were shocked to find out that he's really heavy and doesn't have a six pack. Terrence Cody happens to be a dominant SEC run stuffer who played all over the field for a National Championship team after being hand picked by one of college football's 5 best coaches (and a legit NFL HC candidate if he wanted it) to be his feature DL. Our DL last year SEEMS to be a very good one for the long term in your head because they were good last year. In actuality, our DL is an Ellis or Jenkins injury away from being very, very depleted of high end NFL talent. That's not what you want on a DL...ask the Ravens how having to start Bannan and Edwards worked out Bit...you don't take your best rotation guys, hand them a starting job without any kind of new talent infusion, and expect things to work out well. That's just stupid.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-06-2010 at 10:48 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3549079]OK...if they add no one at WR they get Alllison back, Leon back, Tomlinson in, Keller in his 3rd year, Braylon in his first full Sanchez season...

Also, if you really buy that our 2009 DL could hold up as a top D over multiple years then I thank Jah you're not running this team. That is not a championship caliber DL, and it's at least partially why we got ripped by the Colts. It's actually pretty f*ckin obvious.

Seeming and being are two different thing...Terrence Cody SEEMS like a fat tub of lard who doesn't work hard this offseason because people were shocked to find out that he's really heavy and doesn't have a six pack. Terrence Cody happens to be a dominant SEC run stuffer who played all over the field for a National Championship team after being hand picked by one of college football's 5 best coaches (and a legit NFL HC candidate if he wanted it) to be his feature DL. Our DL last year SEEMS to be a very good one for the long term in your head because they were good last year. In actuality, our DL is an Ellis or Jenkins injury away from being very, very depleted of high end NFL talent. That's not what you want on a DL...ask the Ravens how having to start Bannan and Edwards worked out Bit...you don't take your best rotation guys, hand them a starting job without any kind of new talent infusion, and expect things to work out well. That's just stupid.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3548961]

[/QUOTE]
    LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and the question is still on the table...

What kind of stats should I expect of this stud WR as a rookie?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3549040]Bit, I respect your knowlege but you're way off base in saying that the DL is a strength.

Again, there are tons of questions surrounding the group. Jenkins' health status is up in the air, Ellis is getting long in the tooth, we don't know if DeVito can make the transition to full-time starter, we don't know if Pouha stepped it up last year or simply overachieved. We don't know if guys like Kroul and Steinkuhler are anything more than practice squad material.

The whole D-line is one big question mark.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a bit of exaggeration going on here. Sure the DL is getting older but to say the whole D-line is doubtful is a bit too sweeping.

I actually think we have a very strong core of players to build around. When Jenks was out Pouha and DeVito stepped up and exceeded expectations consistently on the field enough that they have answered doubts about their ability to start and hold their own in the NFL. Not to say we couldn't do with adding more talent but to imply they're disintegrating is inaccurate IMHO. In fact there are numerous team around the league who would love to have De Vito, Pouha et al. I do admit that in a perfect situation they would be best in a platoon rotation backing elite players like Jenks etc but they showed last year they were more than adequate.

Certainly we should replenish the DL where the opportunity presents itself in the draft (being mindful of our other needs as well ILB, S, Slot WR, Ol depth) I just don't think its a critical need as is implied above.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;3549186]I think there's a bit of exaggeration going on here. Sure the DL is getting older but to say the whole D-line is doubtful is a bit too sweeping.

I actually think we have a very strong core of players to build around. When Jenks was out Pouha and DeVito stepped up and exceeded expectations consistently on the field enough that they have answered doubts about their ability to start and hold their own in the NFL. Not to say we couldn't do with adding more talent but to imply they're disintegrating is inaccurate IMHO. In fact there are numerous team around the league who would love to have De Vito, Pouha et al. I do admit that in a perfect situation they would be best in a platoon rotation backing elite players like Jenks etc but they showed last year they were more than adequate.

Certainly we should replenish the DL where the opportunity presents itself in the draft (being mindful of our other needs as well ILB, S, Slot WR, Ol depth) I just don't think its a critical need as is implied above.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of 3-4 teams who would like DeVito and Pouha...as backups...as part of a rotation.

What's really being overblown is our situation at receiver. A lot of people keep pointing to our 31st ranked passing offense, as if that was all on the receivers and not simply a case of us starting a rookie QB who had a grand total of 16 starts in college. Christ, Sanchez has already started more games in the NFL than he did in college.

Now, I'd still like to add another receiver, but a lot of the folks who are pro-receiver in round 1 act like that's our only option. As if we can't find a slot receiver to catch 40 passes a season in the 4th or 5th round.

It's as simple as this, as Sanchez matures, the passing game will get better. I wouldn't mind getting him another toy to play with but it doesn't have to be a 1st round pick.