Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Our DL is full of ???

Bit when it comes down to it...our passing game is more likely to improve when Sanchez doesn't throw 20 INTs and complete passes at a 53% clip than when we add this mystery rookie stud.

Our DL OTOH has a 30 year old NT who's already had 2 knee surgeries, a 33 year old DE going on 34, two backups being pushed up the depth chart, and then bodies.

Our offense is younger than our D in the key areas.

Our DL is more important to what this team is doing in 2010 than any WR.

Our QB is the key to our passing game.

We blew two picks on getting that guy a 26 year old WR who's already been to the Pro Bowl, as you describe him. BTW...on Edwards...EVERYONE wants huge money. The whole point is to get huge money. If Edwards deserves huge money, he'll get huge money. He can want all he wants, it's not going to make him money unless he does something.

Pito/Kroul haven't even done as much on the NFL level as Smith/Clowney/Allison. In fact, they've done nothing.

The insanity man...if they want a WR they can grab one of the many mid-rounders who would do fine for what we're looking to do this year. If they let Edwards go, THEN they draft a stud in the first round...and next year's first round actually has more than one stud WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3552363]I'm not sure how you can base it on his play in college...

there's not many 350+ pound men who lead block on the GL for the offense and then block kicks on STs on top of being able to stop SEC running games.

So what is it based on?[/QUOTE]

uh- his play on the field....not to many 380lbs lineman are constantly held up at the point of attack by single blocking consistently like Cody...

I thought you claim to watch games...you never teams put lineman in the backfield as lead blocker before??? you've never saw lineman block kicks before???

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3552380]
    Our DL OTOH has a 30 year old NT who's already had 2 knee surgeries, a 33 year old DE going on 34, two backups being pushed up the depth chart, and then bodies.

If Edwards deserves huge money, he'll get huge money. .[/QUOTE]

defensive linemen are not like running backs... they can play very well into their 30's, especially if their only job is to gap clog.

please stop calling devito a backup he's a starter.

Edwards is not getting huge money, it's an extremely unlikely scenario.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3552385]not to many 380lbs lineman[/QUOTE]

cody was 370 at senior bowl, 350ish at combine, he was never weighed in at 380 throughout this process.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3552391]cody was 370 at senior bowl, 350ish at combine, he was never weighed in at 380 throughout this process.[/QUOTE]

of course the process in question in the post is his senior season at Alabama...

and like the allegation that Saban somehow told Cody to "bulk up" I'd be more than happy to disprove any idea by you that it is in fact false he was not 380lbs as a senior...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3552389]defensive linemen are not like running backs... they can play very well into their 30's, especially if their only job is to gap clog.

please stop calling devito a backup he's a starter.

Edwards is not getting huge money, it's an extremely unlikely scenario.[/QUOTE]

DeVito is only a starter because we have no one else that's better at the moment. Who's his competition? Pitoitua who was only active for half our games last year? Training camp fodder like Kroul and Steinkuhler?

And if Braylon has a 1000 yard, 10 TD kind of season, then he'll probably get a hefty contract.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3552435]of course the process in question in the post is his senior season at Alabama...

and like the allegation that Saban somehow told Cody to "bulk up" I'd be more than happy to disprove any idea by you that it is in fact false he was not 380lbs as a senior...[/QUOTE]

yeh the senior season where he won a national championship, 1st team all sec, 1st team all american and a key player on the nation's 2nd ranked defense... his weight was a real problem ;)

fun fact no running back ever gained 100 yards in a game when Cody started.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3552451]DeVito is only a starter because we have no one else that's better at the moment. Who's his competition? Pitoitua who was only active for half our games last year? Training camp fodder like Kroul and Steinkuhler?

And if Braylon has a 1000 yard, 10 TD kind of season, then he'll probably get a hefty contract.[/QUOTE]

Devito is underrated by Jets fans, would be a starter on many other teams.

Braylon gets paid after Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris... maybe... he'd need 20 td to cut that line of premium young players. i could see them tagging him, trading him... signing him is probably the last thing they do...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3552808]yeh the senior season where he won a national championship, 1st team all sec, 1st team all american and a key player on the nation's 2nd ranked defense... his weight was a real problem ;)

fun fact no running back ever gained 100 yards in a game when Cody started.[/QUOTE]

yeh it was all cody....:coocoo: your point is well proven based on the numerous running backs that gained 100yds against Alabama when Cody wasn't in the line-up at all....

oh -wait, there were none.....in fact i believe the last time a ball carrier ran for 100+ yards against the Tide was Ben Jarvis Green Ellis in 10/07....but hey- them's the facts....

here's a funner fact- cody's such a great pro-prospect he's dropping down draft boards faster than he's dropping weight...:yes: and that all [B]A[/B]merican status is really gonna his stock...:thumbup:

somehow you made more sense comparing McCoy's bench to Cody's....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-09-2010 at 10:23 PM.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3552385]uh- his play on the field....not to many 380lbs lineman are constantly held up at the point of attack by single blocking consistently like Cody...
    [B]
    I thought you claim to watch games...you never teams put lineman in the backfield as lead blocker before??? you've never saw lineman block kicks before???[/B][/QUOTE]

How many of those are 380 pound non-athletic DTs who can be easily shoved off the line?

Also...speaking of big DL who get single blocked often and beat even more often...do you think Cam Thomas is a better prospect than Cody CB? Do you think he'll go higher?

[QUOTE]please stop calling devito a backup he's a starter.
    [/QUOTE]

For now...by default...because there's no one else here to compete for it.

[QUOTE]Edwards is not getting huge money, it's an extremely unlikely scenario. [/QUOTE]

....Then why would we draft a #3 WR in the first round this year then? If he's not going to get big money (I'm thinking he's getting around what Plax got maybe a little less), then whats the point of bringing up that he'll be looking for big money? And why would that make us want to pick a first round WR if we can have a potential #1 next year in Edwards for not big money?
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-09-2010 at 10:40 PM.

i love talking about defensive linement

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3552846]yeh it was all cody....:coocoo: your point is well proven based on the numerous running backs that gained 100yds against Alabama when Cody wasn't in the line-up at all....[/QUOTE]

Bama also have great DL prospects like Dareus and Deaderick so I agree it wasn't all Cody. It's a great program for defensive linemen.

Cody was only there for 2 year. Missed 2 games, Tennessee and Ark St. this isn't a huge sample size to disprove his effect on the defense. When he was in, he was great.

Cody is just about the ideal 3-4 NT prospect. I'd love him over a so called 5 tech like Odrick. He wont offer alot in production. but hes extremely hard to block, eats double teams for lunch and is a rare athlete as Gato points out.

decent chance someone grabs him before 29... if he's there and they take him, this is putting a deposit in the bank... he can be a cornerstone run stuffer of a defense for years.

just to be clear i do think DL is a need but Wr also very huge need...

my take on Jets needs:

tier 1 needs
    1) WR
    2) DL

tier 2 needs
    3) CB
    4) S
    5) RB
    6) rush OLB

tier 3 needs
    7) OL depth
    8) P
    9) FB

so they need DL and WR and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they came back with in round 1/2.

If there was the right guy from the other categories (i.e. Brandon Graham, Mike Iupati or some other crazy value) then they will stray from their shopping list.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3552809]Devito is underrated by Jets fans, would be a starter on many other teams.

Braylon gets paid after Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris... maybe... he'd need 20 td to cut that line of premium young players. i could see them tagging him, trading him... signing him is probably the last thing they do...[/QUOTE]

Not really. I think it's a case of you and a few others really overrating the guy. I've said before that I like DeVito. I like his motor, I like his hustle. But he's best suited as a rotational player.

DeVito may be a solid starter, but he's always going to be the guy you're looking to upgrade.

Ryan's defense revolves around the DL. I want us to get some young talent in there to help us in the present as well as the future. Jared Odrick, Terrence Cody, and Linval Joseph are names that need to be thrown around a lot more.

As for Braylon getting paid after the above mentioned players, in a perfect world, I would agree. But as much as I love Harris and would hate to see him go, he may end up being the odd man out.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.

[QUOTE]DeVito may be a solid starter, but he's always going to be the guy you're looking to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm a huge DeVito fan...I think he'll be a lifer as a Jet and I'd even consider buying his jersey...BUT that's purely because I'm being a homer in this guys' case...not because I see him as a high end starter in the NFL.

Banned
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3552808]yeh the senior season where he won a national championship, 1st team all sec, 1st team all american and a key player on the nation's 2nd ranked defense... his weight was a real problem ;)

fun fact no running back ever gained 100 yards in a game when Cody started.[/QUOTE]

CBNY's personal crusade against Cody is becoming comical at this point. I think he probably wants the Jets to get another Dewayne Robertson type of undersized Nose Tackle who did a good number of jumping jacks at the combine and can jump out of a pool.

CBNY's proof that too much viewing NFL Network while listening to fatso on the radio on weekday afternoons will rot your brain.