Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our DL is full of ???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Our DL is full of ???

Will Jenkins be able to make it to the playoffs? Probably not (why expect anything different this year from a 400 pounder?)

Will Ellis show his age? (he already does 2 games a season where you dont notice he's on the field)

Who's our 3rd DLineman who's going to terrorize opponents?

Can we beat Manning with not much chaos caused by our line? Umm, no.

Will Tanny move up to grab a blue chip DE? ;)

Discuss.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No dude, we have Pito, Kroul, and probably some other guy. It's fine. 30+ year old Jenkins, Pouha, and Ellis got 'dis man...

J/k. Cody and Oghobaase 2010.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's nothing here that hasn't been discussed a bazillion times alredy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3548425]There's nothing here that hasn't been discussed a bazillion times alredy[/QUOTE]

Yes, well a thread that actually acknowledges how crappy our DL depth is is much more rare than a "zomg state of emergency - we don't have a slot WR for Sanchez" thread.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3548424]No dude, we have Pito, Kroul, and probably some other guy. It's fine. 30+ year old Jenkins, Pouha, and Ellis got 'dis man...

J/k. Cody and Oghobaase 2010.[/QUOTE]

Cody looks like he'll have a heart attack before his 24th birthday. he's an undisciplined pig. and he's slow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3548417]Will Jenkins be able to make it to the playoffs? Probably not (why expect anything different this year from a 400 pounder?)

Will Ellis show his age? (he already does 2 games a season where you dont notice he's on the field)

Who's our 3rd DLineman who's going to terrorize opponents?

Can we beat Manning with not much chaos caused by our line? Umm, no.

Will Tanny move up to grab a blue chip DE? ;)

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Definitely an area of need given the age of Jenkins and Ellis and departure of Daniels.

But, at the same time, don't overlook how well Pouha and Devito played last year. Those guys are solid NFL players.

Do we need to upgrade? Yes, but we don't need to trade up to do it necessarily.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3548446][B]Cody looks like he'll have a heart attack before his 24th birthday.[/B] he's an undisciplined pig. and he's slow.[/QUOTE]

He also looks like a beast when he's holding SEC rushing offenses to nothing...or when he's single handedly beating Tennessee for 'Bama....

Also, Kris Jenkins was over 400 pounds just a couple years ago. NFL training and commitment tend to change a guys' body.

And finally...most men over 320 pounds are slow. I bet he could still out run most guys here...not that that matters, but neither does his straight line speed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3548428]Yes, well a thread that actually acknowledges how crappy our DL depth is is much more rare than a "zomg state of emergency - we don't have a slot WR for Sanchez" thread.[/QUOTE]

Hey now.

I trademarked the ZOMG sarcasm moniker.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3548480]And finally...most men over 320 pounds are slow. I bet he could still out run most guys here...not that that matters, but neither does his straight line speed.[/QUOTE]

lol, titan posted a quote the other day that rings home when it comes to young players and their 'workouts'.

[QUOTE=titanbuoy;3546646](when asked about Earl Campbell's inability to finish a 1 mile run in training camp) "When it's first and a mile, I won't give it to him"[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ That's a funny quote.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3548480]He also looks like a beast when he's holding SEC rushing offenses to nothing...or when he's single handedly beating Tennessee for 'Bama....

Also, Kris Jenkins was over 400 pounds just a couple years ago. NFL training and commitment tend to change a guys' body.

And finally...most men over 320 pounds are slow. I bet he could still out run most guys here...not that that matters, but neither does his straight line speed.[/QUOTE]

and my guess is that you will sarcastically and vehemently defend him until some team cuts his sorry butt and he is labeled a bust by the entire world.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3548494]and my guess is that you will sarcastically and vehemently defend him until some team cuts his sorry butt and he is labeled a bust by the entire world.[/QUOTE]

If Cody makes it to 29 the Jets would be insane not to draft him. Cody is going to be a beast for years to come. Does he look like a Greek God, no he does not. However, have you seen his game tape. This man dominates the line of scrimmage in the SEC. We're not talking about the MAC or the Big East, we are talking about the SEC. Do not confuse Cody with Andre Smith because the both have Man Boobs and played for Alabama.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    another Schroy thread

another DUMP in the making

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3548507]another Schroy thread

another DUMP in the making[/QUOTE]

Correct...

Can someone be banned for consistently making stupid threads?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3548428]Yes, well a thread that actually acknowledges how crappy our DL depth is is much more rare than a "zomg state of emergency - we don't have a slot WR for Sanchez" thread.[/QUOTE]

How is it crappy when we've proved we could deal without Jenkins?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3548417]Will Jenkins be able to make it to the playoffs? Probably not (why expect anything different this year from a 400 pounder?)[/quote]

Pouha only did an excellent job in his place. If nothing else, we should be able to pace him better now that we have a great backup.

[quote]Will Ellis show his age? (he already does 2 games a season where you dont notice he's on the field)[/quote]

A small risk, but given how well he played last year I'm not inclined to think he's going to fall off a cliff next year.

[quote]Who's our 3rd DLineman who's going to terrorize opponents?[/quote]

That Mike Devito guy is pretty damn good.....

[quote]Can we beat Manning with not much chaos caused by our line? Umm, no.[/quote]

In our system, the terror is going to be caused by the linebackers. Namely, the outside linebackers. We need another pass rusher, IMO.

[quote]Will Tanny move up to grab a blue chip DE? ;)[/quote]

Absolutely not. Mainly because there's nobody worth trading up for at DE, that's within our reach, but also because I think they're completely content giving the starting job to Devito. If anything, I think they might look to replace Devito's former role as the 3rd DE in the 2nd or 4th rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the DL.

Jenks is coming back. Gotta love #77.

Ellis has been the most consistent Jets player for the last decade, no one plays bigger in divisional games.

Pouha was extremely solid when Jenks was out.

Devito is the king of hustle.

Pitoitua is a young stud in the making.

even Kroul and Steinkuhler have potential.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    DL is a huge need. I'd say getting a young, capable D-lineman is just as much, if not more of a need than getting a slot receiver.

I don't see why so many are downplaying this. I agree with Chica. I really like DeVito as a rotational player, but do we really want him starting? Not just that, but we're going to need a replacement for Ellis pretty soon as well. Not to mention Jenkins' injury problems and age also.

As stated before, Rex's defense revolves around the play of the DL.

I think we need to take a D-lineman within the first 2 rounds. Be it Odrick, Cody, Alualu, Houston, Carrington, etc.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3548588]I love the DL.

Jenks is coming back. Gotta love #77.

Ellis has been the most consistent Jets player for the last decade, no one plays bigger in divisional games.

Pouha was extremely solid when Jenks was out.

Devito is the king of hustle.

Pitoitua is a young stud in the making.

even Kroul and Steinkuhler have potential.[/QUOTE]

Has there even been a sniff of interest from another team about Douglas? If we don't go DL early in the draft, I'm not sure why we don't bring him back for one more year. Howard Green is a goner so there's still one spot open on the roster for a Lineman, and Douglas improved nicely as the year went on. I wouldn't mind him back at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3548597]
    As stated before, Rex's defense revolves around the play of the DL.

I think we need to take a D-lineman within the first 2 rounds. Be it Odrick, Cody, Alualu, Houston, Carrington, etc.[/QUOTE]

Rex has a long history of finding gems in the late rounds or after the draft, especially on defense. (Marques Douglas, Bart Scott, Jim Leonard... Bannan, Gregg etc).

Rex Ryan doesn't need a first or second rounder to replace Marques Douglas.

Especially when Marques Douglas is still on the open market.