Thread: Ricky Sapp Set to Visit Today

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Ricky Sapp Set to Visit Today

Clemson OLB Ricky Sapp is meeting with the Jets today, and he is writing for his hometown newspaper about his draft experience. Here’s what he mentions about the Jets prior to flying this morning to Jersey.

On Tuesday morning, I am flying out to go visit the New York Jets. I am very excited because I have never been to New York and I am ready to see what all the talk is about. I leave from the Jets and fly straight to Arizona to visit the Cardinals. I’m extremely excited, but as quietly as it’s kept … I HATE flying. I HATE airports, but it’s something I’m going to have to get over real soon.

Rich Cimini of the Daily News spoke to a scout about Sapp.

Spoke to an NFL scout today who believes Clemson DE/OLB Ricky Sapp (6-4, 252) would be an ideal fit in Rex Ryan’s 34 defense. Said the scout: “He’s a pass-rushing son of a gun.” The Jets are picking 29th, and that might be a little high for Sapp, but he has the ability to drop and cover. That has to be appealing to the Jets.

Posted on April 6th, 2010 by Bassett

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've warmed up to Sapp lately.

He's not on my short list, but with Graham and Kindle both likely off the board, I wouldn't be against going with Sapp or Hughes if we want to add a passrusher early.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it bother anyone that his sack production is nearly non existant when the guy is supposed to be a pass rusher?

Now I've watched Sapp on tape and there is a ton to like about his athleticism, but his sack production isn't necessarily there. Apparently he said he was playing at 60% in his senior year, but he did a veyr nice job against the run, just couldn't finish in the sack department.

I would say I'd take Sapp over Kindle without a doubt. Not over Graham.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking at clemson players over the years... something seems off.. especially in round 1...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sapp is not 1st round material

Now Da'Quon Bowers next year, now we're talking

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Does it bother anyone that his sack production is nearly non existant when the guy is supposed to be a pass rusher?
    Now I've watched Sapp on tape and there is a ton to like about his athleticism, but his sack production isn't necessarily there. Apparently he said he was playing at 60% in his senior year, but he did a veyr nice job against the run, just couldn't finish in the sack department.

I would say I'd take Sapp over Kindle without a doubt. Not over Graham.
    That's a turnoff right there

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2nd rounder

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gut feeling Sapp is gonna be our pick at 29.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think he's one of those guys who nobody wants to take in the first round but teams would love him in the 2nd round.

i actually don't think the jets will take an olb/de hybrid in the first round. i think if the jets stay at 29 it's either a true de or wr. tanny may be gunshy about failing 2x at the same position within a 3 year span, as irrational as that may be.

i could easily see a scenario where the jets trade back with a team like cleveland or phily, then use that early 2nd rounder on sapp and use the extra pick or 2 to trade up in round 2 to grab a de or wr. that's my hunch on tanny's best case scenario.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets go DE in the first (Odrick), some of the other choice OLBs may/will be gone by #61 (Kindle & Hughes). Sapp is not a bad choice at that point.
    The Jets do have a need at OLB that has to be filled in the first or second, I believe.