Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets bringing in O'Brien Schofield tomorrow...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Jets bringing in O'Brien Schofield tomorrow...

Nice, could be a late round steal. Maybe some info will trickle down about how his rehab is going.

to do nothing other than talk, since he still cant work out?

He is only 220 lbs. How is going to play 34 olb?? Safety maybe? This is a joke right???

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    He is only 220 lbs. How is going to play 34 olb?? Safety maybe? This is a joke right???
    Could be a situational pass rusher. Late round guy. Thought I read somewhere at some point that he could even play some inside. Will drop due to his injury. Could be good value in the later rounds where it is a crap shoot anyway. He is taller than say a Dumervil and could probably add some weight.

He's 240 and watch the Shrine game. You'll get a much better feel for him there.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

he's up to 239....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Nice, could be a late round steal. Maybe some info will trickle down about how his rehab is going.
    rehab is going well....going to start jogging soon....likely to start the season on PUP....best case scenario is he's ready to play by week 8...team could just IR him and let him get ready for 2011...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    rehab is going well....going to start jogging soon....likely to start the season on PUP....best case scenario is he's ready to play by week 8...team could just IR him and let him get ready for 2011...
    I suggested that after his injury. You use around a 5th on him and you basically have an extra 2nd round valued player for 2011.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I suggested that after his injury. You use around a 5th on him and you basically have an extra 2nd round valued player for 2011.
    well you're thinking is in the right direction as the person who gave me the info said they didn't think he'd get out of the 5th round after I said he's a seventh rounder...

well you're thinking is in the right direction as the person who gave me the info said they didn't think he'd get out of the 5th round after I said he's a seventh rounder...
    If healthy what round would you say his value is?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Now that's an idea I can get my hands around. If he is PUP'd/IR'd, it gives Gholston the one last shot that the Jets are apparently giving him, and it has another talented guy waiting in the wings to compete for reps if/when Gholston confirms what we already know.

But, it doesn't give us a guy that should get reps right away (which is my concern if we draft Hughes, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Now that's an idea I can get my hands around. If he is PUP'd/IR'd, it gives Gholston the one last shot that the Jets are apparently giving him, and it has another talented guy waiting in the wings to compete for reps if/when Gholston confirms what we already know.

But, it doesn't give us a guy that should get reps right away (which is my concern if we draft Hughes, etc.).
    Hence the interest in Jason Taylor.

FYI....great decision to get an update on his condition....

Bottom line: Schofield has an ideal body for an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. He has good size, arm length and growth potential. He reminds us of the Packers' Clay Matthews and the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley, only Schofield is a better pass rusher. He has second-round talent but is coming off a torn ACL injury at the Senior Bowl, so he likely will fall into the middle rounds. If he is able to regain his pre-injury form, he could prove to be quite a bargain.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Hence the interest in Jason Taylor.
    Ugh - I haven't even opened that thread....are we interested in him?

I was viewing not needing reps yet as a good thing. If we draft Hughes, we need to find reps for Thomas, Gholston, Hughes and Westerman (at least we should, in my mind).

If we take a guy like Schofield, he will allow the other guys to get some reps, and, in Gholston's case, demonstrate whether he should be here or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

If healthy what round would you say his value is?
    some said late first- then again there's about 50 players that are always possible late picks in the first frame....I though more-so between selections 40-55....

Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    FYI....great decision to get an update on his condition....

Bottom line: Schofield has an ideal body for an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. He has good size, arm length and growth potential. He reminds us of the Packers' Clay Matthews and the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley, only Schofield is a better pass rusher. He has second-round talent but is coming off a torn ACL injury at the Senior Bowl, so he likely will fall into the middle rounds. If he is able to regain his pre-injury form, he could prove to be quite a bargain.
    Odd comment... Woodley and Matthews are very different players in terms of their styles.

Schofield could have snuck into the 2nd or 3rd but now will go to the last day without a doubt. he showed some things to be excited about, but I wouldn't go crazy. Doesn't have the unbelievable speed around the edge and doesn't have the great strength at the point of attack.

some said late first- then again there's about 50 players that are always possible late picks in the first frame....I though more-so between selections 40-55....
    There was no chance he would get into the late first (something I rarely say about anything having to do with the draft)... He was lucky enough to get into the senior bowl.

He could have snuck into the 2nd if things broke well though. Personally I think he would have went in the 3rd.

But now the guy can be had on the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There was no chance he would get into the late first (something I rarely say about anything having to do with the draft)... He was lucky enough to get into the senior bowl.

He could have snuck into the 2nd if things broke well though. Personally I think he would have went in the 3rd.

But now the guy can be had on the last day.
    Don't rule out Belichick taking him before then with all the picks they have. Don't forget Belichick took a WR Brandon Tate in the 3rd last year that he IR'd.

Don't rule out Belichick taking him before then with all the picks they have. Don't forget Belichick took a WR Brandon Tate in the 3rd last year that he IR'd.
    Belichick has done things like that the last several years and his horrible drafting has caught up with that team. It's really embarrasing the drafting they have done the last several years.

Brace pick last year was comical. I knew Brace would be complete garbage in the NFL and was so happy when they actually moved up slightly to get him. That pick just showed where their scouts are at right now. Just a big guy with zero strength... It was even obvious during the senior bowl practices.

And this isn't completely similar to Tate who I actually think could be a very good player in the NFL. Tate it was obvious that he would make it back by last year. THe unfortunate part is that he got hurt again anyway. Schofield isn't a guarantee to make it back, and he's not even as good a prospect as Tate was imo. Schofield kind of came out of nowhere in the Shrine game practices and happened to sneak on to the Senior bowl roster when he did so well.

His body type is far from prototype and he certainly can't play inside although that is what his frame suggests. He is going to have to add weight to his body to survive and it is never known whether a player can maintain quickness/speed when they add weight. But with him, you are talking about having to add almost 20 lbs to hold up against the tackles of the NFL. It's possible he can do it and succeed, just not extremely common.