Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Terrence Cody dunk?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not athletic dude, he's fat. Didn't you see his tits?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    so he jumped one foot and barely reached the post. i can easily touch the goal posts and so can i touch rim on a bball rim, but i can't dunk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    He's not athletic dude, he's fat. Didn't you see his tits?
    I was just reading up on some of the guys everyone keeps talking about. Cody's an interesting story (only played 2 years HS, went to JC, etc). Most athletic big guy people have seen in a while (I know you know this).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Athleticism only shows up in the form of ripped bodies and workout numbers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think the Jets will get Cody but it's clear he's been working hard... to get from 370 to 345... and he will only get better as time goes on... that's the toughest part of scouting these prospects... will they work hard to get better? Cody has answered that question definitively.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not hard to touch the goal post, I can and I'm only 5'11.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont think the Jets will get Cody but it's clear he's been working hard... to get from 370 to 345... and he will only get better as time goes on... that's the toughest part of scouting these prospects... will they work hard to get better? Cody has answered that question definitively.
    He has answered ****, lets see once he gets that money if he works hard. Millions of dollars is a good incentive to drop some weight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    He has answered ****, lets see once he gets that money if he works hard. Millions of dollars is a good incentive to drop some weight.
    and yet some players like Anthony Davis, or even Andre Smith from last year, can't be bothered to get into shape... even with millions of dollars at stake. They feel they are owed that money, and take it for granted that they will be high picks. Cody has taken nothing for granted.

if we are discounting money as a motivation, the NFL would have Tim Tebow in it to promote his religion, Kerry Rhodes to promote his movie career, and no one else.

in other words all of these guys do it for the money. No one does it for the love of the game or for a higher calling.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you scouting for the Knicks?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares if he can dunk, can he jump out of swimming pool with water in it or can he hunt boars with a knife.

I really don't know what to think about Cody myself. There is certainly a total division about this player. I think some players are the counter to the work out warriors that look great with their shirts off but no production. These players can get overvalued because of their look and measureables but not their film.

Then there are the players that look bad physically, don't light up the combine but have tape to back up the fact that they are indeed football players. I don't know if Cody is one of these guys or not as I haven't watched him closely in the past. Even some of the best players (NT's) don't look great but perform.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Who cares if he can dunk, can he jump out of swimming pool with water in it or can he hunt boars with a knife.

I really don't know what to think about Cody myself. There is certainly a total division about this player. I think some players are the counter to the work out warriors that look great with their shirts off but no production. These players can get overvalued because of their look and measureables but not their film.

Then there are the players that look bad physically, don't light up the combine but have tape to back up the fact that they are indeed football players. I don't know if Cody is one of these guys or not as I haven't watched him closely in the past. Even some of the best players (NT's) don't look great but perform.
    DAMNIT! You beat me to it by 9 minutes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real question is: Can he dunk like this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Not hard to touch the goal post, I can and I'm only 5'11.
    Football goalposts and Basketball rims are both 10 ft. high.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Cody

HIGHLIGHTS:

H.S. - As a child, he wore size-10 shoes by the age of eight, and was never eligible for the Pop Warner youth leagues because he was always over the weight limit.[7] Already 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) and 275 lb (125 kg) as a ninth-grader, Cody began playing high school football and displayed extraordinary athleticism, causing his high school coach, Scott Jones, to predict "he could be making $2 million playing in the NFL" at some point.[8] He played only two years of varsity football, as a freshman and a senior, because he struggled academically, had to help take care of his seven younger siblings and ended up “running with the wrong crowd.”[3]

COLLEGE:

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College - Despite his dominance, he had trouble drawing scholarship offers, as his weight of 410 pounds (190 kg) scared off many teams. “A lot of people are just wary of guys that big,” Mississippi Gulf Coast coach Steve Campbell said. “You know when people say that if things seem too good to be true that they usually are. A big guy like that who's that athletic, you just don't believe what you're seeing.”[6]

Alabama - In his two seasons at Alabama, Cody helped the Crimson Tide to lead the Southeastern Conference in rushing defense, allowing opponents a rushing average of only 78.8 and 78.1 yards per game in 2008 and 2009, respectively. No individual player reached the 100-yards rushing mark against the Crimson Tide in those two years

Prior to the 2010 BCS National Championship Game, Cody draw awestruck praise from Texas players and coaches. "They call him Mount Cody. Mount Cody is for a reason. He plays like he’s 450 pounds. He can move like he’s Sergio Kindle," said Longhorns guard Charlie Tanner.[

In his two years at Alabama, Cody has become the Tide's most popular player because of his outsized personality and body. Says quarterback Greg McElroy: "He's an enjoyable person to have on our team, have in the locker room, and (he) has great charisma. He has fun when he plays the game, and that's a big reason why he's so popular."[89]

Work Ethic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlTZFRpYcZE

Athleticism:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFynU...eature=related

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    can he jump out of swimming pool with water in it
    Not sure, but this guy can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-terrence-cody

Is it true you can dunk a basketball?
    TC: Any way you want me to.

here's also another article about what teammates thought about his athleticism when he got on campus...found this one on a bama forum but dude didn't link the article.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
    Huntsville Times

Big Cody can throw down the dunks

TUSCALOOSA - The first time Antoine Caldwell saw nose tackle Terrence Cody was on a basketball court. Caldwell won't soon forget. After all, how many 400-pound guys canthrow down a dunk with a 360-degree turn in the air? "It's kind ofweird to see that kind of stuff," said Caldwell, the Crimson Tide'ssenior center and offensive captain. "I was kind of nervous at first.... The dude is an incredible athlete."

Big Cody, a transfer from Gulf Coast Community College in Mississippi,
    is listed at 6-foot-5, 380 pounds in Alabama's media guide. He may be
    bigger, and is generally thought to be the largest player in program
    history.

As a junior approaching his Crimson Tide debut, Cody likely won't be
    made available to the media because of Coach Nick Saban's policy of
    banning access to first-year players. But that hasn't stopped other
    players from talking about the gargantuan Cody, again and again, during
    preseason camp.

Comments usually begin with "Man ..." for emphasis.

"Man, that's a load," offensive lineman Brian Motley said. "That's a truck-load."

"Man, it really shocked me," defensive end Brandon Deaderick said.
    "It's kind of scary, him being that big and being able to move like
    that. You have think if he was just (300 pounds), he could come in here
    and run a 4.5 (40-yard dash) or something."

As for playing time this first season, Cody took a large step during
    last weekend's scrimmage, when he keyed a four-play, goal-line stand
    from the 1-yard line. Players see it as a formality that Cody will
    contribute for Alabama in 2008.

"He's going to be good for us," Caldwell said.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahaha lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think it'd be very tough to pass on him at #29.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not for nothing, but I think Cody is the kind of pick that could make this D elite, because you make a 3 man DL elite by getting a dominant 3 man DL.