Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the Jets choose well? Feely v Folk

[QUOTE=Area52;3549520]Come on guys are we complaining about a kicker?

IMO they are a dime a dozen and if Folk can be consistent for us then we got us a youngin to hang on to during our SB years :yes:

I really like Folk and I think he will be just fine for us. In the worst case scenario he should get a lot of practice when we put up 30+ a game compared to our opponents sub 10 average.

Haha.......hell yeah baby this is the year and it is only the beginning.

Buckle up boys this ride is gonna be wild!![/QUOTE]

The first time he goes 1-4 and the Jets lose by 3 points to the Pats you may change your tune. I'm not saying he will be bad like he was last year but medium kickers are a dime a zone but as we saw last year there are always a couple of bad kickers in the league and those kickers cost teams games. Washington lost 2 games due to their kicker. Dallas lost at least one.

All League
    did you watch folk kick last year? he didnt barely miss field goals, they would be 20 yards wide in either direction. he looked confused and dazed out there, he couldnt even kick extra points. The jets obviously think we will have a high powered offense and will never need to kick a clutch field goal, or any field goal for that matter.

Veteran
    Consider the situation in Texas where either Rackers or Brown will be out of a job by the time the regular season rolls around.

By the time TC starts there will be more kickers available via UDFA, June cuts etc. Hell who knows we may draft a kicker.

I think it's too early to annoint Folk as Feely's succesor.
    Last edited by I against I; 04-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.

[QUOTE=nyjunc;3549488]neither of those kicks cost us oneof those games though.

They weren't beating Indy w/ FGs regardless. The biggest mistake we made I believe was settling for a FG after recovering that fumble when we were up 14-6. They needed to attack and they didn't.[/QUOTE]

This is something I noticed last night. I watched the Championship game {1st half only so far} & noticed Greene was getting smashed on some of his 1st half runs & i believe he really got hurt during 1st half. If u re-watch the game, you might notice Jones ran the ball after the Colts fumble. Greene definitely woulda been in game...if not hurt. I believe Jets tried to work on him during halftime, Greene gave it a go, but couldn't continue. Those Colts Safeties were teeing off on Greene on his 1st half runs. Bullitt & Bethea....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3549388]Seriously. the writer gave that point to Folk after a 19% difference in favor of Feely last season and then said it's because Folk is younger? You also gave Folk a point again later on because he is younger. By that logic, my son is 9 and would be better than both of them.

Also, Feely's 40-49 percentage is quite a bit better than Folk's (80 vs. 73.3) which is a lot more important than the 50+ numbers IMO. I'd give that one to Feely as well.

Finally, he cites Folk's 'cannon' as a reason his long range kicks will improve but yet Feely has the better kickoff results in terms of touchbacks.

Sorry but I find the entire analysis very slanted to try and make this look like an upgrade when it just isn't.

Not going to cry over Feely leaving but Folk is a big roll of the dice right now.[/QUOTE]

100% Correct!!!!

And I wasn't going to comment until I saw your SANE post!! Any objective person who saw what the initial poster indicated would have to say Feely was the superior player except when it comes to age!!!!:eek:

Also Feely wanted to be out there in the big moments, don't you guys remember him begging Ryan to send him back out there. This is a Bad move in my opinion, similar to the Kendall move!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-07-2010 at 12:15 PM.

first off, since when is folk the only option. it's not like he's on the team. i'm sure the jets will bring in some camp competition and some guys who might actually have a shot.

the bottom line is that folk hasn't cost the jets a game yet. feely cost them at least one.

All League
    It should be noted that not every kicker has immediate success. This is Folk's 2nd team.

There were alot of good kickers who didn't find success until at least their second team... Nick Lowery, Matt Bahr, Steve Christie, Mark Mosely...

So, you never know. Maybe he will find himself. He's young, and has been through the Cowboy pressurized thing.

Also, Westy does a good job with his kickers.

All League
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3549658]First Comparison: Accuaracy: Over his career, Jay Feely has about an 81 percent made field goals to Folk's 79 percent. The difference is really negligable. The big difference is age. Nick Folk at 25 isn't even in his prime, while Feely, 33, is over the hump. Feely has attempted about 150 more kicks than Folk. Last season, Feely achieved an 83 percent to Folk's abombinable 64 percent. However, the year before, Folk nailed a 90.9 percent to Feely's 85.7 percent. Folk's improving, and Feely's not. That is why Folk wins this one.

[B]Yeah Folk is improving after going 64 % last year. Re Age: Kickers can kick into their 40's age means dick all.[/B]

Winner: Nick Folk

Second Comparison: Power: Nick Folk's career long is a 53, while Feely's is a 55. Negligable, again. Feely's stats from 40-50 are 58-81(career), while his 50+ are 10-20. Folk's are 22-30 and 5-9, respectively. Folk has a slight advantage and will only get better. Folk has a cannon for a leg, so expect those numbers to rise.

[B]The slight edges for Feely are 'negliable' the slight edges for Folk tip the scales.
    [/B]

Sixth and Final Comparison: X Factor: The X factor can't be measured accurately, due to uncertainty. It is age. Folk is 25, while Feely is 33. This is huge. This means that Folk could go on to be even better, or fizzle out. At this point in Folk's career, his stats are better than Feely. I think that he could be a star.

[B]As stated above age means dick all for kickers up to a point. this team is ready to win now so 'grooming' a younger kicker means nothing.[/B]

GRAND WINNER!: Nick Folk.

I believe Folk is the better choice because he has a better leg and is young.

[B]Folk has a better leg? The stats he provided above doesn't really indicate that for Fg range or kick off range. I can see perhaps why the Jets let Feely go but Folk is coming off a BRUTAL season. I am very uncomfortable with our kicking game and feel this is the one huge weakness in the Jets organization. They simply don't seem to take the kicking game as seriously as they should and it could come back to bite them in the ass.[/B][/QUOTE]

+1 Feely is better than folk at this current point in both of their careers, no doubt about it. We are pretty much stuck with Folk now so i guess we gotta just pray that he gets past his 2009 slump or we will be in serious trouble.

IMO maybe we can look at trying to trade for another backup kicker like John Carney from New Orleans. He is now a backup and NO might not be shy to trading him. I don't know what we could give up for him, but it might be worth a shot just to give Folk some "real" competition in camp.
    Last edited by KingofNY; 04-07-2010 at 12:38 PM.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3549279]Did the Jets Choose Well?: Jay Feely vs. Nick Folk
    by Zach Bjorn Contributor Written on April 06, 2010 Ronald Martinez/ Bleacher Report
    Folk or Feely?

With the Jets' first off season move, they signed the Dallas kicker Nick Folk. This was a puzzling move. Why did the Jets not re-sign Feely? Well, a month or two later, the Cardinals signed unrestricted free agent Jay Feely. So the question is: Who is the better choice?

I will be comparing them in accuracy, power, consistency, kickoff, situational and X factor.

First Comparison: Accuaracy: Over his career, Jay Feely has about an 81 percent made field goals to Folk's 79 percent. The difference is really negligable. The big difference is age. Nick Folk at 25 isn't even in his prime, while Feely, 33, is over the hump. Feely has attempted about 150 more kicks than Folk. [B]Last season, Feely achieved an 83 percent to Folk's abombinable 64 percent. However, the year before, Folk nailed a 90.9 percent to Feely's 85.7 percent. Folk's improving, and Feely's not. That is why Folk wins this one.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

thats when i stopped reading. how exactly is folk improving if he made 90% of his kicks 2 years ago to 64% last season.

All League
    I know the author is trying really bad to be a homer but this article is pure garbage. Folk was terrible last year. I know that Folk was a good kicker a few years ago, but does nothing to give us the impression that (as the article clearly states several times) that Folk should improve.

Yes Folk is younger. So are several other unemployed kickers. So what. Feely did have two bad games. But the guy was the difference maker in more than a few games last year.

To let him go to save a few $$$ while resting the success or failure of this team on the Special Teams unit is being short-sighted.

I wouldn't be suprised to see our ST unit being ranked in the bottom ten of the NFL with the current roster.

All League
    [QUOTE=Vilma4Prez;3549873]thats when i stopped reading. how exactly is folk improving if he made 90% of his kicks 2 years ago to 64% last season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's freakin hilarious. Some people will believe anything.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3549658]First Comparison: Accuaracy: Over his career, Jay Feely has about an 81 percent made field goals to Folk's 79 percent. The difference is really negligable. The big difference is age. Nick Folk at 25 isn't even in his prime, while Feely, 33, is over the hump. Feely has attempted about 150 more kicks than Folk. Last season, Feely achieved an 83 percent to Folk's abombinable 64 percent. However, the year before, Folk nailed a 90.9 percent to Feely's 85.7 percent. Folk's improving, and Feely's not. That is why Folk wins this one.

[B]Yeah Folk is improving after going 64 % last year. Re Age: Kickers can kick into their 40's age means dick all.[/B]

Second Comparison: Power: Nick Folk's career long is a 53, while Feely's is a 55. Negligable, again. Feely's stats from 40-50 are 58-81(career), while his 50+ are 10-20. Folk's are 22-30 and 5-9, respectively. Folk has a slight advantage and will only get better. Folk has a cannon for a leg, so expect those numbers to rise.

[B]The slight edges for Feely are 'negliable' the slight edges for Folk tip the scales.
    [/B]

Sixth and Final Comparison: X Factor: The X factor can't be measured accurately, due to uncertainty. It is age. Folk is 25, while Feely is 33. This is huge. This means that Folk could go on to be even better, or fizzle out. At this point in Folk's career, his stats are better than Feely. I think that he could be a star.

[B]As stated above age means dick all for kickers up to a point. this team is ready to win now so 'grooming' a younger kicker means nothing.[/B]

GRAND WINNER!: Nick Folk.

I believe Folk is the better choice because he has a better leg and is young.

[B]Folk has a better leg? The stats he provided above doesn't really indicate that for Fg range or kick off range. I can see perhaps why the Jets let Feely go but Folk is coming off a BRUTAL season. I am very uncomfortable with our kicking game and feel this is the one huge weakness in the Jets organization. They simply don't seem to take the kicking game as seriously as they should and it could come back to bite them in the ass.[/B][/QUOTE]

I gotta agree with Beerfish...Also, if age as an X factor has its own category then it can't be the deciding thing in each of these categories.

I think these are nice thoughts but i don't see much actual backup to make ur points.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3549665]The first time he goes 1-4 and the Jets lose by 3 points to the Pats you may change your tune. I'm not saying he will be bad like he was last year but medium kickers are a dime a zone but as we saw last year there are always a couple of bad kickers in the league and those kickers cost teams games. Washington lost 2 games due to their kicker. Dallas lost at least one.[/QUOTE]

Feely cost us a few games last year too plus his kickoffs were bad for the most part.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3549593]Zach is really bending the #'s here. He gives Folks the 1st 2 categories even though he's at a "negligible" deficeit. The first reason is for age, which also gives him the last category, and 2nd is because Folk "has a cannon for a leg." Why then does he lose the distance comparison, and wasn't even used to KO as a frosh? You could use these same #'s to give Feeley a convincing advantage.
    :dunno:[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

It is an awful analysis being bent to fit the conclusion that the writer wants.

Garbage analysis trying to defend a questionable move.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3550029]Feely cost us a few games last year too plus his kickoffs were bad for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Which 'few games' did Feely cost us? And what about Folk's performance during the same period(last year) leads you to believe that he will be an improvement?
    He wasn't even allowed to kick off.:confused:

Jay Feeley is No HOF kicker so IAM not worried.

The guy choked in the AFC championship & the Jets were pissed off GOOD!

Getting rid of him shows that the Jets want SB titles:yes:

The Mets kept Aaron Heilman after He choked in game 7 at shea & how did that pay off. Choking is a contagious negative vibration that can rub off on other players. Castillo should have be gone after yankee loss & the cheap mets are still cursed for not cleaning out the garbage chokers.

Excuses are for Losers I want CLUTCH players.

By the way Brylon Edwards showed up in that game ag. the colts & wondered why the jets stopped being aggressive on Offense.

Rex & Tanny are trying to dig out the weeds in yr.2 to make it all the way!:eek:

GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All League
    [QUOTE=DieHard JETfan;3550121]Jay Feeley is No HOF kicker so IAM not worried.

The guy choked in the AFC championship & the Jets were pissed off GOOD!

Getting rid of him shows that the Jets want SB titles:yes:

The Mets kept Aaron Heilman after He choked in game 7 at shea & how did that pay off. Choking is a contagious negative vibration that can rub off on other players. Castillo should have be gone after yankee loss & the cheap mets are still cursed for not cleaning out the garbage chokers.

[B]Excuses are for Losers I want CLUTCH players[/B].

By the way Brylon Edwards showed up in that game ag. the colts & wondered why the jets stopped being aggressive on Offense.

Rex & Tanny are trying to dig out the weeds in yr.2 to make it all the way!:eek:

GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Agreed. But why would we regress at the position. Dump Feely if there are better options out there. But if there are no viable options, then what are we thinking? Are there any kickers in college that can come in and perform? If so, I am fine with the decision. But to get rid of a guy that was pretty much the best kicker this team has had in a while and replacing him with a guy that got cut by a playoff team in the middle of the playoff hunt, due to his atrocious accuracy INSIDE. How is this guy going to kick in Nov/Dec/Jan at home??

Folk: 18-28 Feely: 30-36 (Also set team record for most consecutive FGs made). Folk: Doesn't even kick off. Feely: Makes ST tackles (2 vs. Fins!) and punts when needed. Of course I'd rather have Feely.

Veteran
    What about the tackling factor? Wasnt Feely our best tackler on KO's? Can Folk tackle or even punt?

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3550029]Feely cost us a few games last year too plus his kickoffs were bad for the most part.[/QUOTE]

One game I can think of that I believe he perhaps cost us. The playoff game, 50 plus yarder and a 40 plus yarder. Kickers can miss those. Some of these jokers were shanking 30 yarders 20 yards right of the upright.

If Feeley wanted way too much money then fine let him go but one rule I like to see my teams follow is never let a guy go unless you have a viable option to replace him. After last year folk is not an option that fills a person with confidence.