Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the Jets choose well? Feely v Folk

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sect112row36;3550230]What about the tackling factor? Wasnt Feely our best tackler on KO's? Can Folk tackle or even punt?[/QUOTE]

Feely was a good tackler out of necessity since his KOs were low line drives.

A K with more hang time and distance won't need to be as good as a tackler.

I'm not lamenting Feely's departure, just worried it may turn out to be another Kendel situation.

And, no, I don't think trading Kendel was a mistake. Replacing him with Adrian Clarke was the mistake.

All League
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3549388]Seriously. the writer gave that point to Folk after a 19% difference in favor of Feely last season and then said it's because Folk is younger? You also gave Folk a point again later on because he is younger. By that logic, my son is 9 and would be better than both of them.

Also, Feely's 40-49 percentage is quite a bit better than Folk's (80 vs. 73.3) which is a lot more important than the 50+ numbers IMO. I'd give that one to Feely as well.

Finally, he cites Folk's 'cannon' as a reason his long range kicks will improve but yet Feely has the better kickoff results in terms of touchbacks.

Sorry but I find the entire analysis very slanted to try and make this look like an upgrade when it just isn't.

Not going to cry over Feely leaving but Folk is a big roll of the dice right now.[/QUOTE]

+1 Excellent Post, couldn't of said it better myself.

No point trying to spin this move like an upgrade when it isn't at the moment, it is what it is and Folk is a HUGE roll of the dice as stated above.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SMC;3550252]Feely was a good tackler out of necessity since his KOs were low line drives.

I'm not lamenting Feely's departure, just worried it may turn out to be another Kendel situation.

And, no, I don't think trading Kendel was a mistake. Replacing him with Adrian Clarke was the mistake.[/QUOTE]

AMEN said the same thing earlier!!!!!:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;3550252]Feely was a good tackler out of necessity since his KOs were low line drives.

And, no, I don't think trading Kendel was a mistake. Replacing him with Adrian Clarke was the mistake.[/QUOTE]

+ 1 My thoughts exactly.

Everyones replaceable, including Feely, its a matter if of who they replace him with.

Is Folk the answer? IDK, I trust Tanny in the decisions he makes as he has a very good track record. Problem is if they thought Folk was without question the answer, then why have Rackers scheduled for a visit AFTER signing Folk?

I think Folk has the potential to be the answer at Kicker as I assume Tanny does as well, only problem is potential doesn't always pan out, its a roll of the dice as Folk is a question mark without question at this point.

how about the two run backs by ginn. one because feely didn't kick away and the other because feely overplayed the containment. i'm not that sorry to see him go.

[QUOTE=Jetsfan95;3550210]Folk: 18-28 Feely: 30-36 (Also set team record for most consecutive FGs made). Folk: Doesn't even kick off. Feely: Makes ST tackles (2 vs. Fins!) and punts when needed. Of course I'd rather have Feely.[/QUOTE]

Nick Folk is the kind of kicker that you know he is going to miss just by looking at him...The guy is a choke artist to the maximum extent...

Rest assured if Folk is our kicker we will be reliving another Doug Brien moment...

Folk got cut in the mist of the Cowboys playoff chances. In their biggest games, Folk choked. Folk also can't do Kick Offs, and he doesn't have a boot. Also, he played like crap in an F'n DOME. Good luck having him kick in the Meadowlands.

Feely was voted MVP by our HC. Feely plays with balls. Feely was clutch the entire season, and also in the playoffs. He had one bad game, that's it. He one us more than a few games, and he had great KO's. Feely was a great tackler, and played with a ton of passion.

This was a BAD move.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=K-Ro 25;3550517]Folk got cut in the mist of the Cowboys playoff chances. In their biggest games, Folk choked. Folk also can't do Kick Offs, and he doesn't have a boot. Also, he played like crap in an F'n DOME. Good luck having him kick in the Meadowlands.

Feely was voted MVP by our HC. Feely plays with balls. Feely was clutch the entire season, and also in the playoffs. He had one bad game, that's it. He one us more than a few games, and he had great KO's. Feely was a great tackler, and played with a ton of passion.

This was a BAD move.[/QUOTE]

I think you should call D-Rex and offer your experience and advice. The guy obviously does not know what he is doing! How did he ever become a HCin the NFL when he can not even pick a good kicker for this team? ( sarcasm)

Banned
    [QUOTE=K-Ro 25;3550517]Folk got cut in the mist of the Cowboys playoff chances. In their biggest games, Folk choked. Folk also can't do Kick Offs, and he doesn't have a boot. Also, he played like crap in an F'n DOME. Good luck having him kick in the Meadowlands.

This was a BAD move.[/QUOTE]

I agree it's a bad move. Let's just hope Folk somehow turns it around like Feely did when he was here. Prior to the 2008 season Feely was in pretty much the same situation that Folk was in before we signed him. Unemployed former kicker who is considered a choke.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3550531]I agree it's a bad move. Let's just hope Folk somehow turns it around like Feely did when he was here. Prior to the 2008 season Feely was in pretty much the same situation that Folk was in before we signed him. Unemployed former kicker who is considered a choke.[/QUOTE]
    Yes Feely was considered a choker but the guy has made some big kicks in his career...He was also familiar with the meadowlands winds...

Folk is nothing but a career long choker, he is horrible...

I'm telling you right now and i will bump this thread when it happens and rest assured it will happen...

Folk will cost us a playoff game or a playoff birth...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3550504]Nick Folk is the kind of kicker that you know he is going to miss just by looking at him...The guy is a choke artist to the maximum extent...

[B]Rest assured if Folk is our kicker we will be reliving another Doug Brien moment...[/B][/QUOTE]

You mean like this past AFCCG?

[QUOTE=SMC;3550547]You mean like this past AFCCG?[/QUOTE]
    Correct me if i'm wrong but Feely did not miss a game tying nor game winning FG...All he missed was a 50+ yarder in the 2nd quarter...

Folk on the other hand was so atrocious he wasn't even allowed to see the field for the Cowboys in the playoffs...

you guys think Ryan can't make a mistake but this move is an enormous one...

This thread will get bumped when it happens, remember i told you so...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3550536]Folk is nothing but a career long choker, he is horrible...
    [/QUOTE]

Really?

"Career long" considering that he's only been in the NFL for [B]three[/B] years and made the pro bowl his rookie year?

His rookie year he was 26/31 and his 2nd year he was 20/22. In fact, in his 2nd year he was 8/9 in games decided by 7 points or less and 8/8 in games decided by 8 points to 14 points. That doesn't sound like a career choker.

Last year he was bad without a doubt.

I'm not a fan of Folk, but to claim he was bad for his entire short NFL career is blatantly absurd.
    Last edited by SMC; 04-07-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3550553]Folk on the other hand was so atrocious he wasn't even allowed to see the field for the Cowboys in the playoffs...
    [/QUOTE]

Why lie?

Folk was waived on December 21 so he wasn't even on the team when the Cowboys made the playoffs. Folk did kick for the Cowboys in the 2007 playoffs and converted his only FG attempt.

You have something against Folk, but it's certainly your own invention.

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;3550564]Why lie?

Folk was waived on December 21 so he wasn't even on the team when the Cowboys made the playoffs. Folk did kick for the Cowboys in the 2007 playoffs and converted his only FG attempt.

You have something against Folk, but it's certainly your own invention.[/QUOTE]

did you see him kick? if you did, you would be pissed like the rest of us that he is on this team

mike nugent was even closer on his misses

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3550616]did you see him kick? if you did, you would be pissed like the rest of us that he is on this team

mike nugent was even closer on his misses[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've seen him kick.

And, no, I'm not happy he is on the team.

But you guys act like Folk has sucked forever and that is a complete lie.

Folk was really bad last year without question, but he was good the 2 years prior (his 1st 2 in the NFL). He didn't miss as bad then as he did last year.

Plus, the "clutch" argument is equally invalid considering that Feely wasn't a clutch kicker either.

In other words, the Jets could have re-signed Feely and they still would be in jeopardy in the postseason with an un-clutch kicker.

Jets Insider VIP
    the SOJF are unanimous that Folk is no good

which undoubtably means he will be way better than Feely

[QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3549764]It should be noted that not every kicker has immediate success. This is Folk's 2nd team.

There were alot of good kickers who didn't find success until at least their second team... Nick Lowery, Matt Bahr, Steve Christie, Mark Mosely...

So, you never know. Maybe he will find himself. He's young, and has been through the Cowboy pressurized thing.

Also, Westy does a good job with his kickers.[/QUOTE]

I messed up I thought Folk was with Washington got cut and then wound up on the Cowboys. I screwed up here

Imho Mr. T does a very good job as Jet GM. However he does have the occasional brain fart like not resigning Kendall when no better alternative was available. Now he lets Feeley walk over 300K? Something doesn't add up but Folk is defenitely not an upgrade and may wind up costing the Jets some games this upcoming season.

All League
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3550520]I think you should call D-Rex and offer your experience and advice. The guy obviously does not know what he is doing! How did he ever become a HCin the NFL when he can not even pick a good kicker for this team? ( sarcasm)[/QUOTE]

Every one makes mistakes, no ones perfect.

Personally I have total faith in Mike Tannenbaum when it comes to evaluating talent and building a team, his track record shows he is one of the top GMs in the NFL the past 4 to 5 years, but even he has made mistakes (ie Gholston, Clemens, Pete Kendals replacement or lack of a replacement) it happens.

As for the current kicking situation if they thought Nick Folk was the answer then why would they of scheduled an interview with Rackers AFTER the Folk signing?

I believe Folk was brought in as a "plan B" signing incase they couldn't resign Feely or get Rackers. Say if Feely was resigned right off the bat or they signed Rackers BEFORE Folk was brought in then Folk wouldn't be on our roster right now.

That goes to show you Folk isn't their first choice, or probably second for that matter. Folk is here IMO as a camp competition kicker who has a chance to make the team and probably will now as Tannenbaum's first choices at kicker signed else where.