Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did the Jets choose well? Feely v Folk

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the Jets choose well? Feely v Folk

Did the Jets Choose Well?: Jay Feely vs. Nick Folk
    by Zach Bjorn Contributor Written on April 06, 2010 Ronald Martinez/ Bleacher Report
    Folk or Feely?

With the Jets' first off season move, they signed the Dallas kicker Nick Folk. This was a puzzling move. Why did the Jets not re-sign Feely? Well, a month or two later, the Cardinals signed unrestricted free agent Jay Feely. So the question is: Who is the better choice?

I will be comparing them in accuracy, power, consistency, kickoff, situational and X factor.

First Comparison: Accuaracy: Over his career, Jay Feely has about an 81 percent made field goals to Folk's 79 percent. The difference is really negligable. The big difference is age. Nick Folk at 25 isn't even in his prime, while Feely, 33, is over the hump. Feely has attempted about 150 more kicks than Folk. Last season, Feely achieved an 83 percent to Folk's abombinable 64 percent. However, the year before, Folk nailed a 90.9 percent to Feely's 85.7 percent. Folk's improving, and Feely's not. That is why Folk wins this one.

Winner: Nick Folk

Second Comparison: Power: Nick Folk's career long is a 53, while Feely's is a 55. Negligable, again. Feely's stats from 40-50 are 58-81(career), while his 50+ are 10-20. Folk's are 22-30 and 5-9, respectively. Folk has a slight advantage and will only get better. Folk has a cannon for a leg, so expect those numbers to rise.

Third Comparison: Consistency: This is the 800-pound gorilla in Nick Folk's room. He had a 90.7 percent season in 2008, and then dropped to 64.3. That is his big issue. Feely lately been very consistent. For the last 5 years, he's hovered at an 85 percent. Most kickers have trouble with consistency early, but the win goes to Feely.

Winner: Jay Feely

Fourth Comparison: Kickoff: Nick Folk did not kickoff in his first year, but in his career managed a 61.1 average. Feely achieved a 63.3 average. He also has about 88 more touch backs, to Folk's 4. Feely also has 6 onside kicks out of 20 recovered to Folk's 1 out of 5.

Fifth Comparison: Situational: Last season, Nick Folk logged a 75 percent success rate in fourth quarter kicks to Feely's 70 percent. If you remember the Falcons game, Feely missed three kicks, which would have won the game. Whenever behind, though, last season Feely nailed every kick. In 2008, Folk had similar results.

Sixth and Final Comparison: X Factor: The X factor can't be measured accurately, due to uncertainty. It is age. Folk is 25, while Feely is 33. This is huge. This means that Folk could go on to be even better, or fizzle out. At this point in Folk's career, his stats are better than Feely. I think that he could be a star.

GRAND WINNER!: Nick Folk.

I believe Folk is the better choice because he has a better leg and is young. It's sad to see Feely leave. He set a consecutive kick record, and was great for us. We'll miss his kicking (and occasionaly punting). However, out with the old, in with the new. It's time for the Folk era.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know some jets fans are sore about jay feely...

but think about the effect of those misses in the AFC CG when it came down to negotiation time...

feely comes in and says "ok my old contract is up, how about a big new contract?" the Jets see his performance in week 15 and in the AFC CG and feel he doesn't deserve the contract... I find it tough to disagree.

if feely makes all his kicks maybe he gets taht deal. instead Folk is younger and cheaper

and not for nothing but the Jets need to resign revis not feely. Not to say these are mutually exclusive but they have alot of core guys to resign, feely isn't a core guy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Folk has a tough skin because Feely was loved as a Jets kicker more than any player at that position in recent memory. My son is still pissed he's gone. He is going to have to perform early and often to win over the fans I'm afraid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3549294]I hope Folk has a tough skin because Feely was loved as a Jets kicker more than any player at that position in recent memory. My son is still pissed he's gone. He is going to have to perform early and often to win over the fans I'm afraid.[/QUOTE]

and if he does, will he then be a FOLK-HERO? LOL

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our next Kicker or Cap guy!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36t6plbOt70[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3549286]i know some jets fans are sore about jay feely...

but think about the effect of those misses in the AFC CG when it came down to negotiation time...

feely comes in and says "ok my old contract is up, how about a big new contract?" the Jets see his performance in week 15 and in the AFC CG and feel he doesn't deserve the contract... I find it tough to disagree.

if feely makes all his kicks maybe he gets taht deal. instead Folk is younger and cheaper

and not for nothing but the Jets need to resign revis not feely. Not to say these are mutually exclusive but they have alot of core guys to resign, feely isn't a core guy.[/QUOTE]

The problem is 2 of the kicks against Atl were not his fault as one was blocked and another a botched snap and he only missed one makeable kick in the title game- on the first drive of the game. It was a foolish decision to try a 52 yarder as we knew even if he amde it FGs weren't going to cut it the way Manning and that O were beginning to get hot.

Feely was making nothing for an NFL player, his contratc had nothing to do w/ Revis getting his huge deal.

Folk has the ability but he is in a bad place mentally right now. Until he proves he can overcome that we have downgraded big time going from Feely to Folk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyjunc;3549327]The problem is 2 of the kicks against Atl were not his fault as one was blocked and another a botched snap and he only missed one makeable kick in the title game- on the first drive of the game. [/QUOTE]

even we accept all that to be true... at the least he missed a makable kick in the champ game and a makable kick in ATL. They needed all the points they could get to beat Indy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3549301]and if he does, will he then be a FOLK-HERO? LOL[/QUOTE]
    :clapper:

perfect

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyjunc;3549327]The problem is 2 of the kicks against Atl were not his fault as one was blocked and another a botched snap and he only missed one makeable kick in the title game- on the first drive of the game. It was a foolish decision to try a 52 yarder as we knew even if he amde it FGs weren't going to cut it the way Manning and that O were beginning to get hot.

Feely was making nothing for an NFL player, his contratc had nothing to do w/ Revis getting his huge deal.

Folk has the ability but he is in a bad place mentally right now. Until he proves he can overcome that we have downgraded big time going from Feely to Folk.[/QUOTE]

I think it is premature to label FOLK as "being in bad place mentally right now". Thus its only specualtion. Its only April and we are not even past draft day. I have faith in our HC and staff to nurture FOLK. Our special teams coach did well with Feely. Jay was not well regarded at one time in his past. The guy was also labled as a lockerroom lawyer. Maybe he got on D-Rex's nerves? Many kickers are erratic when they ar eyounger. Feely was. Folk has a bigger leg for kickoffs too and does not cost as much as Feely. Lets give the guy a chance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3549279]Did the Jets Choose Well?: Jay Feely vs. Nick Folk
    by Zach Bjorn Contributor Written on April 06, 2010 Ronald Martinez/ Bleacher Report
    Folk or Feely?

With the Jets' first off season move, they signed the Dallas kicker Nick Folk. This was a puzzling move. Why did the Jets not re-sign Feely? Well, a month or two later, the Cardinals signed unrestricted free agent Jay Feely. So the question is: Who is the better choice?

I will be comparing them in accuracy, power, consistency, kickoff, situational and X factor.

[B]First Comparison: Accuaracy:[/B] [/QUOTE]

I stopped reading right here. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my question about Feeley....why has he been to so many teams in the past 5 years? There has to be more to this story i would assume. Personally i liked feeley and would liked for him to be back but it has to be more than just $$. Hopefully Folk works out!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3549342]I stopped reading right here. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

too bad you stopped reading the article. It was pretty interesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3549342]I stopped reading right here. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Seriously. the writer gave that point to Folk after a 19% difference in favor of Feely last season and then said it's because Folk is younger? You also gave Folk a point again later on because he is younger. By that logic, my son is 9 and would be better than both of them.

Also, Feely's 40-49 percentage is quite a bit better than Folk's (80 vs. 73.3) which is a lot more important than the 50+ numbers IMO. I'd give that one to Feely as well.

Finally, he cites Folk's 'cannon' as a reason his long range kicks will improve but yet Feely has the better kickoff results in terms of touchbacks.

Sorry but I find the entire analysis very slanted to try and make this look like an upgrade when it just isn't.

Not going to cry over Feely leaving but Folk is a big roll of the dice right now.
    Last edited by nycdan; 04-07-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3549329]even we accept all that to be true... at the least he missed a makable kick in the champ game and a makable kick in ATL. They needed all the points they could get to beat Indy.[/QUOTE]

neither of those kicks cost us oneof those games though.

They weren't beating Indy w/ FGs regardless. The biggest mistake we made I believe was settling for a FG after recovering that fumble when we were up 14-6. They needed to attack and they didn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3549337]I think it is premature to label FOLK as "being in bad place mentally right now". Thus its only specualtion. Its only April and we are not even past draft day. I have faith in our HC and staff to nurture FOLK. Our special teams coach did well with Feely. Jay was not well regarded at one time in his past. The guy was also labled as a lockerroom lawyer. Maybe he got on D-Rex's nerves? Many kickers are erratic when they ar eyounger. Feely was. Folk has a bigger leg for kickoffs too and does not cost as much as Feely. Lets give the guy a chance.[/QUOTE]

Jay was loved in this locker room, who cares what parcells thought about him in Miami.

The most recent performances from folk are not good, maybe he has gotten over that mental hurdle? We won't know until he kicks under pressure in games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3549388]Seriously. [B][I]the writer[/I][/B] :rolleyes: gave that point to Folk after a 19% difference in favor of Feely last season and then said it's because Folk is younger? You also gave Folk a point again later on because he is younger. By that logic, my son is 9 and would be better than both of them.
    .[/QUOTE]

i guess since whoever wrote that article is technically 'the writer'.. but it's from the bleacher report (aka every 12 year old who thinks he can be a journalist)..

i'm still confused why people post articles from the BR here... all the articles are glorified message board posts... usually from someone who has less knowledge of football than 75% of the people here

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on guys are we complaining about a kicker?

IMO they are a dime a dozen and if Folk can be consistent for us then we got us a youngin to hang on to during our SB years :yes:

I really like Folk and I think he will be just fine for us. In the worst case scenario he should get a lot of practice when we put up 30+ a game compared to our opponents sub 10 average.

Haha.......hell yeah baby this is the year and it is only the beginning.

Buckle up boys this ride is gonna be wild!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Zach is really bending the #'s here. He gives Folks the 1st 2 categories even though he's at a "negligible" deficeit. The first reason is for age, which also gives him the last category, and 2nd is because Folk "has a cannon for a leg." Why then does he lose the distance comparison, and wasn't even used to KO as a frosh? You could use these same #'s to give Feeley a convincing advantage.
    :dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3549279]Did

Second Comparison: Power: Nick Folk's career long is a 53, while Feely's is a 55. Negligable, again. Feely's stats from 40-50 are 58-81(career), while his 50+ are 10-20. Folk's are 22-30 and 5-9, respectively. Folk has a slight advantage and will only get better. [B]Folk has a cannon for a leg[/B], so expect those numbers to rise.

Fourth Comparison: Kickoff: Nick Folk did not kickoff in his first year, but in his career managed a 61.1 average. Feely achieved a 63.3 average. He also has about 88 more touch backs, [B]to Folk's 4[/B]. Feely also has 6 onside kicks out of 20 recovered to Folk's 1 out of 5.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this.

If Folk has a cannon for a leg, how is Feely a better kickoff man?

I see the numbers, I just don't understand them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Comparison: Accuaracy: Over his career, Jay Feely has about an 81 percent made field goals to Folk's 79 percent. The difference is really negligable. The big difference is age. Nick Folk at 25 isn't even in his prime, while Feely, 33, is over the hump. Feely has attempted about 150 more kicks than Folk. Last season, Feely achieved an 83 percent to Folk's abombinable 64 percent. However, the year before, Folk nailed a 90.9 percent to Feely's 85.7 percent. Folk's improving, and Feely's not. That is why Folk wins this one.

[B]Yeah Folk is improving after going 64 % last year. Re Age: Kickers can kick into their 40's age means dick all.[/B]

Second Comparison: Power: Nick Folk's career long is a 53, while Feely's is a 55. Negligable, again. Feely's stats from 40-50 are 58-81(career), while his 50+ are 10-20. Folk's are 22-30 and 5-9, respectively. Folk has a slight advantage and will only get better. Folk has a cannon for a leg, so expect those numbers to rise.

[B]The slight edges for Feely are 'negliable' the slight edges for Folk tip the scales.
    [/B]

Sixth and Final Comparison: X Factor: The X factor can't be measured accurately, due to uncertainty. It is age. Folk is 25, while Feely is 33. This is huge. This means that Folk could go on to be even better, or fizzle out. At this point in Folk's career, his stats are better than Feely. I think that he could be a star.

[B]As stated above age means dick all for kickers up to a point. this team is ready to win now so 'grooming' a younger kicker means nothing.[/B]

GRAND WINNER!: Nick Folk.

I believe Folk is the better choice because he has a better leg and is young.

[B]Folk has a better leg? The stats he provided above doesn't really indicate that for Fg range or kick off range. I can see perhaps why the Jets let Feely go but Folk is coming off a BRUTAL season. I am very uncomfortable with our kicking game and feel this is the one huge weakness in the Jets organization. They simply don't seem to take the kicking game as seriously as they should and it could come back to bite them in the ass.[/B]