View Poll Results: Do you want Jason Taylor on the Jets?

Voters
473. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, absolutely not!

244 51.59%
  • Yes, he could help in the pass rush

188 39.75%
  • I don't know, because I refuse to take a position and want to jump on any bandwagon that comes along

41 8.67%
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Official ALL THINGS Jason Taylor thread (merged)

Adam_Schefter

[QUOTE]RT @Anthony_Capp: how close are jets to signing taylor? ... Jets plan is to get it done. [B]Re[/B][B]x Ryan told Taylor he'll have 15 sacks for NY.[/B][/QUOTE]:eek:

WTF is going on here?!

Jets Insider VIP
    If Rex wants him, I want him. And frankly neither of us care if SOJF don't like it

All League
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3550060]Adam_Schefter

:eek:

WTF is going on here?![/QUOTE]

If 15 sacks were true, how many would change their tune? :)

[QUOTE=JetStream;3550065]If 15 sacks were true, how many would change their tune? :)[/QUOTE]

I hate the guy but I wouldn't mind that production. It's just crazy to me Rex would say something like that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3550056]....because Bryan Thomas sucks at rushing the passer.[/QUOTE]
    [SIZE=1]I left that part out on purpose [/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    yes, he's a dolphin, we get it, get over it. Highly doubt he signs here but i'll take 'em

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3550066]This is true, revis, fans, generally speaking (i.e. NOT ALL) do have a tendancy to over-rate their JAG's and under-rate their GOOD (Not Great) players.

BT is a perfect example of the former, 100% JAG who many Jet fans view as Good

IMO Bryan Thomas is the type of player that, if he's starting for your team, you have to start looking for an upgrade[/QUOTE]
    no argument there, however taylor is not that upgrade at this point in his career

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3550066]This is true, revis, fans, generally speaking (i.e. NOT ALL) do have a tendancy to over-rate their JAG's and under-rate their GOOD (Not Great) players.

BT is a perfect example of the former, 100% JAG who many Jet fans view as Good[/QUOTE]

BT is fine to have on your team - even starting - if you have a stellar pass rush from multiple other sources. If he was paid a moderate salary and only was asked to rush the passer 20-30% of the time and we had DeMarcus Ware opposite him, he'd be fine. Problem is, Calvin Pace is merely an above average pass rusher. Nothing to be angry at (besides his bloated salary), but he's simply not an elite pass rusher that can get to the QB even when everyone knows he's coming. Because of that, it would be nice if we had a guy opposite him who could put some fear in the OC's mind as to who needs to be handled.

If Jason Taylor is that guy, I'll take him - history and all.

If Bryan Trottier can coach the Rangers, we can stomach Taylor on the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3550071]yes, he's a dolphin, we get it, get over it. Highly doubt he signs here but i'll take 'em[/QUOTE]

et tu, Whiskers? You must be familiar with all the **** he's said about the Jets and us fans over the years. Can you really forget all that so easily?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=quantum;3550036]No way this can be true, and if it is, no way should we do it.

It'd be like drafting Osama bin Laden. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Holy hyperbole, Batman!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3550083]You know what I think the plan is here, win?

I believe the Jets are drafting an edge rusher high, with one of their first two picks, and Jason Taylor is buying them a year to groom the neophyte so they don't have to be overly dependant on a rookie for their pass rush.

But of course if the rookie excels right away and forces his way onto the field, ala John Abraham in his rookie season, then Jason Taylor will quickly become veteran depth or Rex will find a way to get both of them on the field together on obvious passing downs .. but I don't think a player of JT's age will preclude the Jets from drafting an edge rusher high.

JMO[/QUOTE]

I think its the opposite, actually. JT buys them time to either develop Westerman or Gholston or find someone new, in the next 2 years. 4 edge rushers (including Pace) is a lot - not really room on the roster for another - especially a high pick that needs to see the field in practice/games.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I believe the Jets are drafting an edge rusher high, with one of their first two picks, and Jason Taylor is buying them a year to groom the neophyte so they don't have to be overly dependant on a rookie for their pass rush.

But of course if the rookie excels right away and forces his way onto the field, ala John Abraham in his rookie season, then Jason Taylor will quickly become veteran depth or Rex will find a way to get both of them on the field together on obvious passing downs .. but I don't think a player of JT's age will preclude the Jets from drafting an edge rusher high.

JMO[/QUOTE]
    I hope you're right Hammer, rush was a huge need last year...the fact that we are now pairing Revis with Cromartie should make all of the team's pass rushers better though...even the also rans.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=quantum;3550080]et tu, Whiskers? You must be familiar with all the **** he's said about the Jets and us fans over the years. Can you really forget all that so easily?[/QUOTE]

haha ya i'm well versed in Taylor's hatred of this team which is why I doubt he signs but i will welcome him with open arms. He fills a need and adds depth to an already solid defense. No harm in signing him.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3550095]See here's where we differ, crash ...

You view Gholston as edge rusher depth while I view Gholston as a wasted roster space. There's just no way on GOD's green earth I can view someone as an edge rusher who doesn't have one sack in three years of service.[/QUOTE]

hasn't gholston only been in the nfl for 2 years?

i agree that vernon is not an edge rusher. edge rushers can run around OTs every once in a while.

Jason Taylor signing ---> draft?

JMO[/QUOTE]

I pray that you are right, lol.

Not so much the signing Taylor part, but the drafting a young pass rusher part. It'd be incredibly shortsighted to go into next year with Taylor as a starter without a great backup plan.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3550001]That's the problem with alot of fans letting their emotions overrule their intellect..Assuming of course there was something to overrule in the first place..:P[/QUOTE]

LOL! :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Never expected to login and see this thread. I hate Jason Taylor but I have no problem putting emotion aside if I think the team can improve.

The front office and coaching staff need to understand the risk involved though - Taylor would need a couple impact plays every Sunday or it could get ugly. Relentless booing, media roasting him, etc. This would not be a normal FA signing.

[QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3550045]If this dancing queen is so good WHY DOESN'T MIAMI WANT HIM???
    He's OLD and he's a complete douche.
    JUST F**KING DRAFT SOMEBODY! :steamin:
    Or go after Seymour if you're gonna go this route.
    I HATE this.[/QUOTE]

Uh because the Jets want to win now.

Drafting someone that guy isn't going to step in an get 10 sacks and Seymour was franchised so forget him.

Jets fans say they want to win and believe in Rex yet don't want Taylor because of a few words...Amazing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3550095]See here's where we differ, crash ...

You view Gholston as edge rusher depth while I view Gholston as a wasted roster space. There's just no way on GOD's green earth I can view someone as an edge rusher who doesn't have one sack in two years of service.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm pretty much with you on that. But, bottom line is, despite what we think, he's on the roster. And, if he's on the roster, he needs to be at least given a chance to show he's not the piece of sh!t we all think he is. Being that's the case, we can't bury him behind JT AND a 1st rounder (and BT and Pace and Westerman).

If the Jets reached the point that they think he's beyond hope and they're done with him, he'd be off the roster. My guess is that the Jets view this year as his last chance. Assuming that's the case, they need to give him at least the opportunity to show he does/doesn't belong.

In a nutshell, that's why I don't think they're going edge rusher in the 1st/2nd round. In my mind, signing JT is congruent with that line of thinking. We need help on the edge, b/c Westerman and Gholston are too speculative to count on right now, but we don't want to commit to a 1st rounder if one of those guys shows he can play. JT is a nice middle option.