Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets hosting QB Mark Brunell today

Some of these moves seem VERY questionable to me... I hope they have some kind of plan in place. I'll reserve judgment til after the draft. :confused:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sect313;3549818]i was watching a saints game last year and they mentioned he was the backup and i was so surprised because i thought he had been out of the league a couple of years

pass[/QUOTE]

you also? dang I thought after he left washington that was it. He must be broke or something!

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3549828]ugh, god no.

I'd rather have Clemens.[/QUOTE]

Clemens is simply TERRIBLE

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

courtesy interview?

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3549828]ugh, god no.

I'd rather have Clemens.[/QUOTE]

+1

They said Brunell is bringing his college roommate--George Blanda--along, too. Maybe "The Grand Old Man" can heal our kicking ills?

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Brunell is one of a handfull of few players still playing that was in the original NFL Blitz for N64 which me and my friends still play. I love playing as the Jaguars, Brunell is a monster in that game.

Other active players in the game:
    Favre
    Fred Taylor

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd gladly take Brunell on a 1-2 year deal. A guy who has had a lot of success in the past and can embrace the role of backup and help tutor Sanchez a little bit.

I think the guys who say they would rather stick with Clemens are apesh*t. The guy hasn't made any improvements since he came into the league. He's proven time and time again that he's incapable of playing a prominent role in this league. Last year against Tampa Bay, one of the worst defenses in the league, he played about as terrible as you can play and still win a football game.

Kellen has run out of chances IMO. He's headed into his 5th year in the league and hasn't even proven that he can be a reliable backup, despite playing in the same system for going on 5 years.

At some point Tanny should just say "Okay, we missed on this guy, but we have Sanchez now, so let's cut bait."
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-07-2010 at 04:16 PM.

[QUOTE=Cimini]Jets news: The team is hosting free-agent QB Mark Brunell today. First indication Jets want a vet backup. Brunell turns 40 in Sept. [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://usera.imagecave.com/chasbo00/DoubleFacePalm.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3549969]Some of these moves seem VERY questionable to me... I hope they have some kind of plan in place. I'll reserve judgment til after the draft. :confused:[/QUOTE]

How is this such a questionable move?

If Sanchez were to go down for a game or two, I'd still feel much more comfortable with a 40 year old Mark Brunell stepping in than I would with Clemens.

It was already printed a while back that the Jets were looking to bring in a veteran backup to Sanchez and I guarantee you that Kellen is the odd man out if we sign Brunell, not Ainge or O'Connell.

The entire Maryland/Washgton DC/Virginia region is laughing at us right now, and rolling their eyes.

One must assume the Pro-Brunell folks simply never watched him "play" when he was down here, that perhaps their attention only centers on the Jets alone.

Because no one who say Brunell attempt to play in DC would want him, in ANY capacity, on their roster.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3550103]I'd gladly take Brunell on a 1-2 year deal. A guy who has had a lot of success in the past and can embrace the role of backup and help tutor Sanchez a little bit.

I think the guys who say they would rather stick with Clemens are apesh*t. The guy hasn't made any improvements since he came into the league. He's proven time and time again that he's incapable of playing a prominent role in this league. Last year against Tampa Bay, one of the worst defenses in the league, he played about as terrible as you can play and still win a football game.

Kellen has run out of chances IMO. He's headed into his 5th year in the league and hasn't even proven that he can be a reliable backup, despite playing in the same system for going on 5 years.

At some point Tanny should just say "Okay, we missed on this guy, but we have Sanchez now, so let's cut bait."[/QUOTE]

It's only worth replacing him if you can get a guy who can play. Brunell hasn't played since 2006, except for one week last year where the Saints were benching their starters, and he looked horrible in that outing (Against a very mediocre Carolina team, mind you). Not to mention, you know how fans here hated Chad Pennington's arm strength? That's about all Brunell has at this point. Except Brunell has nowhere's near Chad's accuracy.

If Brunell had to play for the Jets next year, we're ****ed. It's that simple. At least one of our current backups still have the unknown quality to them in that there's a chance (albeit small) that they could surprise you.

Sorry, I'm not in favor of wasting our time with the Brunell's and the Bulger's of the world where there's every reason to know that they'll be terrible if god forbid they have to play.

I'd love to send a late pick for a Jason Campbell though, someone who has been a solid, albeit unspectacular QB in this league recently.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TampaT;3549779]Like Jesus has any game left[/QUOTE]

JC has plenty of game left my friend....

If you had the option would you rather sign Brunell or Taylor? Enough said. Culpepper and Grossman are available (Though I don't know if their RFAs). Would you go with one of those two if we could?

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3549770]jesus.

LT,Taylor, [B]Brunnell[/B]. What a joke. Lets get some youth in here.[/QUOTE]

What is this world coming to?:huh:

[QUOTE=Jetsfan95;3550189]If you had the option would you rather sign Brunell or Taylor? Enough said. Culpepper and Grossman are available (Though I don't know if their RFAs). Would you go with one of those two if we could?[/QUOTE]

Grossman signed with Washington a few weeks ago

I think you people need to give up on the idea of this team winning a significant amount of games if Sanchez goes down.

The idea behind Brunell is bringing in a proven, successful type of guy for Sanchez to draw things off of in the locker room and in preparation. Brunell has his ways of preparing and they have succeeded in the past so there is a reason to have Sanchez see those ways of doing things. Brunell, and just about every other available backup out there isn't going to be able to win many games, outside of just handing the ball off and playing defense.

I would be OK with the move but I'd rather just let Ainge become the primary backup. I think Ainge actually has pretty good upside and he could succeed at this level

i have to say Brunell was not what i had in mind when i started the topic in signing a vet QB

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3549960]Unless his Old Lady sucked all his energy out of him...;)

[IMG]http://www.ekolay.net/haber/images/gg/carmella27.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

YOWZA! Daddy likey. :yes:

The guy has essentially played 1 game in the last 3 years, is old and is very crappy. I'd rather have Clemens than Brunnell. As far as preparing and mentoring that is what a QB coach should be for.