Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets hosting QB Mark Brunell today

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please no. Brunell is a fossil. The Jets did fine last year with no veteran QB. The Jets have more pressing needs then wasting UFA money acquire from feely on a Fossil like Brunnell. The Jets should be looking at DL, Slot WR help.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The gap is opening.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3550271]I think you people need to give up on the idea of this team winning a significant amount of games if Sanchez goes down.[/quote]

That's the only thing that matters out of the QB position.

[quote]The idea behind Brunell is bringing in a proven, successful type of guy for Sanchez to draw things off of in the locker room and in preparation. Brunell has his ways of preparing and they have succeeded in the past so there is a reason to have Sanchez see those ways of doing things. Brunell, and just about every other available backup out there isn't going to be able to win many games, outside of just handing the ball off and playing defense.[/quote]

What do you think the coaching staff is for? Why do you think we have a decade plus NFL backup QB as our QB coach?

We already pay people to do that job. I don't see any tangible benefit from having Mark Brunell around as our backup QB, simply to do the job of our coaching staff, when we already have a coaching staff doing said job. And considering how much Sanchez progressed as the season went along, I'd say they seem to be doing a fine job.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even 40 years old and cooked Brunell is still a more competent qb than Kelly Clunkers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    bring back vinny. haven't the jets learned already about what happens with an ancient qb? brunnel is terrible. the only good point is that there is no way he would challenge anyone for the starter spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3549823]+1 I did not even realize he was on the Saints.[/QUOTE]

holy crap.... he got a ring last year then huh???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brunell is 40 going on 35. In great shape. He can use his legs and throw on the run about 85% of what Sanchez is doing right now. His arm strength still isnt half bad. He could also mentor Sanchez to some extent being a mobile QB for the past 20 years.

This makes perfect sense if you look at it rationally + the guy wont cost you.

PS - I would use Erik Ainge as the 3rd backup - Clemens is mentally toasted.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3550329]YOWZA! Daddy likey. :yes:[/QUOTE]

this is his wife...i want himon the team just for her to be in the stadium

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass on Brunell. Why do we have a great need to bring in a vet that doesn't know our system? We have Clemens, Ainge and O'Connell already right? :eek:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3550674]Brunell is 40 going on 35. In great shape. He can use his legs and throw on the run about 85% of what Sanchez is doing right now. His arm strength still isnt half bad. He could also mentor Sanchez to some extent being a mobile QB for the past 20 years.

This makes perfect sense if you look at it rationally + the guy wont cost you.

PS - I would use Erik Ainge as the 3rd backup - Clemens is mentally toasted.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get this from?? I remember he got the snot knocked out of him for years with JAX and the Skins. At 40 with all the beatings he took throughout the years I would be surprised he had any mobility left which was one of his biggest assets when he was younger. I would prefer a Bulger or even Josh McCown.
    Last edited by JetTerp; 04-08-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would like this signing a lot. Brunell could teach Sanchez a lot about preps before the game. Another important thing with this possible signing is that since Brunell has been around for what seems like forever, perhaps he could teach some of the younger guys his workout schedule, and stuff like that. He has to be doing something right.

Also...on a side note. What do you think the Jets record would have been last year with Brunell starting? Not saying that he is a better option then Sanchez, just asking....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3549828]ugh, god no.

I'd rather have Clemens.[/QUOTE]

+1

Am not a big fan of Clemens, but at this point in Brunells career I rather have Kellen.

Not to mention we already have 3 backups, probably should cut one (IMO O'Connell) to save a roster spot and we can only sign one UFA so far after losing Feely, don't want to waste it on a 40 year old washed up no arm QB.

Wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a vet to back up Sanchez, but rather sign someone who is a cap casualty like Mark Bulger, I am sure there will be other QBs cut after the draft/before the season as well who would be better than Brunell.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Run Jets Run;3551125]Also...on a side note. What do you think the Jets record would have been last year with Brunell starting? Not saying that he is a better option then Sanchez, just asking....[/QUOTE]

0-16

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;3549776]Brunell>>>>>>>>>>>Clemens[/QUOTE]

disagree.

Which Brunell are you referring to? The Brunell from the Jags 10 years ago?

this would be a stupid, waste of time, move by the Jets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3551140]0-16[/QUOTE]

thanks lol

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3551141]disagree.

Which Brunell are you referring to? The Brunell from the Jags 10 years ago?

this would be a stupid, waste of time, move by the Jets.[/QUOTE]

People wanted Chad to come in here and teach Sanchez, Why cant some want Brunell to come in and do the same????

Neither of them do you want on the field, but they would be something extra.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who says someone has to teach Sanchez? He learned plenty on his own last year...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3551180]Who says someone has to teach Sanchez? He learned plenty on his own last year...[/QUOTE]

Im talking more about his workout regime. The man has been in the league for years. And this is Sanchez's first year coming into the season as a number one starter. clear cut ya know? And knee surgery

Listen im not saying this is a slam dunk signing, Im just simply saying this isnt as bad as an idea as some people are making it out to be.
    Last edited by Run Jets Run; 04-08-2010 at 01:55 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Run Jets Run;3551154]thanks lol[/QUOTE]

You asked.

Having seen his quality of play (using the word quality loosely) in his time in D.C., I have no doubt he would have been very hard pressed to have won anything for the Jets in 2009.

Perhaps 0-16 is an exageration, but 6-10 or 5-11 is not.

Brunell has nothing of value to offer our team, or our young QB.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3551191]You asked.

Having seen his quality of play (using the word quality loosely) in his time in D.C., I have no doubt he would have been very hard pressed to have won anything for the Jets in 2009.

Perhaps 0-16 is an exageration, but 6-10 or 5-11 is not.

Brunell has nothing of value to offer our team, or our young QB.[/QUOTE]

I dont have a link to this, but i remember reading it on i think WEEI's website. But the year that Vinny was backing up Tom Brady was because Tom liked having a Vet back there to bounce ideas off and stuff like that.

I mean if someone like Vinny was good for Tom, I dont see why someone like a brunell wouldnt be good for Sanchez.