Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking strength, LT taps Tiki trainer

Seeking strength, LT taps Tiki trainer

There's a bunch of early-morning workout warriors at Joe Carini's House of Iron in Pine Brook, N.J., whom Carini calls "die-hard football fanatics." He posed the following question:

You think [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/LaDainian_Tomlinson"]LaDainian Tomlinson[/URL] has anything left in the tank?

"They were all 'no' and 'done' and 'He's washed up, hasn't been good in years,' " Carini said. "They're all going to sit there and say, 'Where did he come from again?' "

It is now up to Carini to help steer the once-great Tomlinson back to or approaching the sensational standard he set during his nine-year stay in San Diego. Tomlinson, since signing a two-year deal with the Jets for around $5.2 million, has blamed his reduced production the past two years more on the Chargers' pass-first approach than his own physical decline.

He's putting his muscles where his mouth is. The Post has learned Tomlinson is enduring rigors he never before has i[URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/NFL"]nfl[/URL]icted on his soon-to-be 31-year old body.

Tomlinson is augmenting his participation in the Jets' offseason program with a much more grueling regiment and has enlisted the services of the charismatic and somewhat unconventional Carini to reverse the cruel demands of father time.

"This guy wants to work," Carini said. "The men who don't like to work don't last very long with me, and they sure as heck don't break any personal records."

Carini had no relationship with Tomlinson prior to one week ago, when last Thursday he walked through the door of Carini's gym accompanied by [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/Tiki_Barber"]Tiki Barber[/URL], Carini's star pupil. Earlier, Tomlinson had reached out to Barber, picking the brain of the Giants all-time leading rusher, determined to know how Barber reinvented himself late in his career and enjoyed his greatest success near and just after the age of 30.

"He got in touch with Tiki and said 'What's the secret?' " Carini said. "And Tiki goes 'Well, I'll bring you to him.' "

As a six-time winner in the '80s of New Jersey's Strongest Man Competition, Carini believes in moving around incredible weight and espouses one theory above all others:

"I get 'em as strong as humanly possible," he said.

Under Carini's guidance, Barber became tank-like in his power-base and retired at the top of his game. Carini, who also works with Giants offensive linemen [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/Chris_Snee"]Chris Snee[/URL] and [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/Shaun_O%27Hara"]Shaun O'Hara[/URL], laid out his plan to Tomlinson and this past Monday morning the eighth-leading rusher in NFL history entered the House of Iron ready to work.

Tomlinson weighed in at 220 pounds and plans to play at about 213. Carini wanted to see what he was dealing with and had Tomlinson pause-squat -- the hips are four inches ***** below ***** the kneecap -- more than 500 pounds. He did 545 pounds on the safety-bar squat and up to 800 pounds on leg press reps. There will be jumping drills on a 30-inch box, but the Carini twist is Tomlinson will be holding 70- or 100-pound dumbbells when he's in the air.

The next day, working on the upper body, Carni rigged up a "special dead-lift apparatus" and Tomlinson hoisted 570 pounds. For the bench press, Carini uses a 90-pound bar plus 125 pounds worth of chains and Tomlinson pushed 520 pounds.

"Everything he's done so far he's never done before," Carini said. "He told me when he went home his wife asked how it was and he said, 'Man, he beat the living hell out of me.' I told him, 'You got to make the commitment, it's not going to be an easy ride for you in the beginning because it never is.' "

The schedule calls for Tomlinson to work four days a week (two hours per day) with Carini. This is in addition to the regular workouts with the Jets in Florham Park.

"He's got so much heart," Carini said. "I'm telling you, the man is on a mission. He wants to prove everybody wrong."

Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/trainer_taps_tiki_to_help_strength_fZmwez3yYQj3bRI7BI9kGI#ixzz0kW5O0Y63[/URL]

Veteran
    great to hear :yes:

Wow! At least it appears he is comitted to giving it his best shot and not just collecting his last paycheck. No guarantees but I like the effort:yes:

Excellent news. I had seen some of LT's workouts in SD on video, and this sounds impressive. What I have to wonder though, is, does LT do wind sprints with a parachute like Curtis used to do? What do the pros do, to work on their quicks? :eek:

[QUOTE=FREEJET;3550822]Wow! At least it appears he is comitted to giving it his best shot and not just collecting his last paycheck. No guarantees but I like the effort:yes:[/QUOTE]

+1
    Attitude, change of scenary,better offensive line, great coach, a desire to be great in New York could equal a great season.
    Can you imagine working out hard at the Jet facility, and then working in the evening with this maniac, serious commitment.

I didnít like the idea of LT replacing TJ, but the guy does seem like he is here to win, not just play out his career.

Hall Of Fame
    hrmm that's in my town .5 miles away... I gotta stop by there and hang out and stalk LT lol

All Pro
    Loving this thread. Glad to see LT is making the commitment and that us fans are getting excited about it. Dude will be playing with a big chip on his shoulder. :yes:

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3550880]LT is a beast :weight_li[/QUOTE]

+1

Is anyone else completely shocked that he benched 520lbs? That's a sh!tload man.
    Last edited by southside; 04-08-2010 at 11:04 AM.

All League
    Great read......thanks for sharing.

LT is gonna be amazing with the War Machine. This is going to be a devastating 1-2 punch.

I am so psyched to see him in my favorite color :D

Keep up the good work LT, the promise land will make it worth the hard work!

nice article. Hope the hard work pays off!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3550843]Excellent news. I had seen some of LT's workouts in SD on video, and this sounds impressive. What I have to wonder though, is, does LT do wind sprints with a parachute like Curtis used to do? What do the pros do, to work on their quicks? :eek:[/QUOTE]

At his house out here in SD he has a "hill" like the one that Emmit Smith used to run. I've been there, its just a steep dirt hill behind his pool and putting green which goes 75 feet up.

Hope he doesn't get hurt. Always a danger when lifting massive amount of weights. I hope the Jets conditioning staff approve of this guy and his methods.

All League
    These numbers are just insane. To me the most impressive was the 30in box jumps with DBs weighing anywhere between 70 and 100 lbs.

Honestly, how are any of these guys NOT on PEDs? Its not normal lol

Commitment!
    That's what teams need to do to be successful

Look at every great team & you will see the patterns.

Have the Jets EVER had this number of players that are this committed to succeeding?

Sanchez- Revis- Harris- LT- Scott- Lowery- Mangold- Brick- fanaca- Leonard
    Richardson- Cotchery- Smith- B Smith- Devito- Ellis
    This work ethic rubs off on other players in the organization
    These are the guys that can take it to another level next year:
    Edwards- Gholston- Keller- Cromarty- Ihedigbo- Westerman

Rex has this team on the right track
    To go 9-7 with the turnovers that Sanchez had was probably a 1st in this league!
    I'd love to see teams that went 9-7 in the past that were 31st in the league in passing & their QB threw 22 and so few Tds.

Great read! I'm glad he is on a mission to prove everyone wrong! Hopefully he will have a tear of a season!!!! :yes:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Awesome read! He probably heard Fatscessa called him washed up as well as many in the media and around the league and it is eating at him. He is motivated to prove them all wrong, and for a two year deal at what we are paying him, this all sounds like great news. Let's hope he finds the fountain of youth and this conditioning along with our o-line can give LT a banner season. I am so digging this!!

Fitz

Hall Of Fame
    This has all the markings of one of those Hallmark channel made for TV movies. Wax on... wax off... Eye of the tiger... Comeback player of the year and future contender in the pound-for-pound world's strongest man competition. Screw you all you Chardonay-sipping, effeminate San Diegans... LT is our boy now :D

Yesssss !!!!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Area52;3550927]Great read......thanks for sharing.

LT is gonna be amazing with the War Machine. This is going to be a devastating 1-2 punch.

I am so psyched to see him in my favorite color :D

Keep up the good work LT, the promise land will make it worth the hard work![/QUOTE]

Yep, gonna be sick to see him for the first time in green and white...a little weird, but sick nonetheless. For me, I think even more so than Favre. I just cannot wait for his first run, DAMN!!! :D Already getting the chills just thinking about it.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3550952]Hope he doesn't get hurt. Always a danger when lifting massive amount of weights. I hope the Jets conditioning staff approve of this guy and his methods.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about it, we've got one of the best staffs in the league. I mean, our O-line (knock on wood) has been healthy 2 seasons in a row. :yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3550807]There's a bunch of early-morning workout warriors at Joe Carini's House of Iron in Pine Brook, N.J., whom Carini calls "die-hard football fanatics." He posed the following question:

You think [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/LaDainian_Tomlinson"]LaDainian Tomlinson[/URL] has anything left in the tank?

"They were all 'no' and 'done' and 'He's washed up, hasn't been good in years,' " Carini said. "They're all going to sit there and say, 'Where did he come from again?' "

It is now up to Carini to help steer the once-great Tomlinson back to or approaching the sensational standard he set during his nine-year stay in San Diego. Tomlinson, since signing a two-year deal with the Jets for around $5.2 million, has blamed his reduced production the past two years more on the Chargers' pass-first approach than his own physical decline.

He's putting his muscles where his mouth is. The Post has learned Tomlinson is enduring rigors he never before has i[URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/NFL"]nfl[/URL]icted on his soon-to-be 31-year old body.

Tomlinson is augmenting his participation in the Jets' offseason program with a much more grueling regiment and has enlisted the services of the charismatic and somewhat unconventional Carini to reverse the cruel demands of father time.

"This guy wants to work," Carini said. "The men who don't like to work don't last very long with me, and they sure as heck don't break any personal records."

Carini had no relationship with Tomlinson prior to one week ago, when last Thursday he walked through the door of Carini's gym accompanied by [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/Tiki_Barber"]Tiki Barber[/URL], Carini's star pupil. Earlier, Tomlinson had reached out to Barber, picking the brain of the Giants all-time leading rusher, determined to know how Barber reinvented himself late in his career and enjoyed his greatest success near and just after the age of 30.

"He got in touch with Tiki and said 'What's the secret?' " Carini said. "And Tiki goes 'Well, I'll bring you to him.' "

As a six-time winner in the '80s of New Jersey's Strongest Man Competition, Carini believes in moving around incredible weight and espouses one theory above all others:

"I get 'em as strong as humanly possible," he said.

Under Carini's guidance, Barber became tank-like in his power-base and retired at the top of his game. Carini, who also works with Giants offensive linemen [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/Chris_Snee"]Chris Snee[/URL] and [URL="http://www.nypost.com/t/Shaun_O%27Hara"]Shaun O'Hara[/URL], laid out his plan to Tomlinson and this past Monday morning the eighth-leading rusher in NFL history entered the House of Iron ready to work.

Tomlinson weighed in at 220 pounds and plans to play at about 213. Carini wanted to see what he was dealing with and had Tomlinson pause-squat -- the hips are four inches ***** below ***** the kneecap -- more than 500 pounds. He did 545 pounds on the safety-bar squat and up to 800 pounds on leg press reps. There will be jumping drills on a 30-inch box, but the Carini twist is Tomlinson will be holding 70- or 100-pound dumbbells when he's in the air.

The next day, working on the upper body, Carni rigged up a "special dead-lift apparatus" and Tomlinson hoisted 570 pounds. For the bench press, Carini uses a 90-pound bar plus 125 pounds worth of chains and Tomlinson pushed 520 pounds.

"Everything he's done so far he's never done before," Carini said. "He told me when he went home his wife asked how it was and he said, 'Man, he beat the living hell out of me.' I told him, 'You got to make the commitment, it's not going to be an easy ride for you in the beginning because it never is.' "

The schedule calls for Tomlinson to work four days a week (two hours per day) with Carini. This is in addition to the regular workouts with the Jets in Florham Park.

"He's got so much heart," Carini said. "I'm telling you, the man is on a mission. He wants to prove everybody wrong."

Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/trainer_taps_tiki_to_help_strength_fZmwez3yYQj3bRI7BI9kGI#ixzz0kW5O0Y63[/URL][/QUOTE]

I said it before and I'll say it again Tomlinson's gonna surprise a lot of people around here when the season gets here..the man is not done yet.