Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: One of the better jobs going around?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the better jobs going around?

Several hundred warehouse workers and drivers at Danish brewer Carlsberg halted work for a second day today to protest a company decision to limit beer drinking at work to lunch breaks.

The strike in Denmark followed the company's decision on April 1st to introduce new rules for employees on beer drinking at work, said Jens Bekke, spokesman at the world’s fourth largest brewer.

“There has been free beer, water and soft drinks everywhere,” he said. “Yesterday, beers were removed from all refrigerators. The only place you can get a beer in future is in the canteen, at lunch.”

Mr Bekke said drivers retained an old right to three beers per day outside lunch hours, and warehouse workers claimed the same right.

“Because of that, the warehouse staff went on strike yesterday, with other staff striking in sympathy,” he said.

Mr Bekke said as many as 800 had walked out yesterday, with 250 still on strike today, and the Confederation of Danish Industry and trade union 3F had agreed to look into the dispute.

He said there would be no shipments from Copenhagen today, and delays in the rest of the country, but said he expected the financial effect of the strike to be minor.

He said Carlsberg's trucks have alcohol locks so drivers would not be able to drink too much and drive.

Reuters

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death;3550892]Several hundred warehouse workers and drivers at Danish brewer Carlsberg halted work for a second day today to protest a company decision to limit beer drinking at work to lunch breaks.

The strike in Denmark followed the company's decision on April 1st to introduce new rules for employees on beer drinking at work, said Jens Bekke, spokesman at the world’s fourth largest brewer.

[B]“There has been free beer, water and soft drinks everywhere,” he said. “Yesterday, beers were removed from all refrigerators. The only place you can get a beer in future is in the canteen, at lunch.”[/B]Mr Bekke said drivers retained an old right to three beers per day outside lunch hours, and warehouse workers claimed the same right.

“Because of that, the warehouse staff went on strike yesterday, with other staff striking in sympathy,” he said.

Mr Bekke said as many as 800 had walked out yesterday, with 250 still on strike today, and the Confederation of Danish Industry and trade union 3F had agreed to look into the dispute.

He said there would be no shipments from Copenhagen today, and delays in the rest of the country, but said he expected the financial effect of the strike to be minor.

He said Carlsberg's trucks have alcohol locks so drivers would not be able to drink too much and drive.

Reuters[/QUOTE]

Can only drink beer at lunch? WTF?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And we can't buy beer until noon on Sundays.

Because....?

WTF? Seriously. Why the hell can't I buy beer until noon on Sunday?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blow

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3550902]And we can't buy beer until noon on Sundays.

Because....?

WTF? Seriously. Why the hell can't I buy beer until noon on Sunday?[/QUOTE]

Law makers are figuring, if you cant buy hootch till noon on sundays, youll have the inkiling to go to church.

;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Because....?

Jeez I thought they stopped that in the 70's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt to avoid the infamous Groslch incident of '97...

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/151051638_c60bde4997_o.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Because....?

WTF? Is this real?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3550964]WTF? Is this real?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, learned the horrible truth when visiting NY for a JETS game years ago. Is Turkey a dry country?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried buying a six pack of beer in Pennsylvania a few years ago at five in the
    afternoon. First I had to drive five miles to a "beverage distribution center" where they only sold cases. Then I had to go to a certain bar that sold beer "to go" for twice as much as I usually spend. I suspect Pennsylvania kids are pot-heads.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3551005]Yeah, learned the horrible truth when visiting NY for a JETS game years ago. Is Turkey a dry country?[/QUOTE]

No. Altough in some of the more religious rural areas and small towns become dry during in the month of Ramadan.

In Istanbul I can get my booze 24/7. and our legal age for drinking is 18.

I still can't believe this, wow! What's the serious reasoning behind this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3551021]No. Altough in some of the more religious rural areas and small towns become dry during in the month of Ramadan.

In Istanbul I can get my booze 24/7. and our legal age for drinking is 18.

I still can't believe this, wow! What's the serious reasoning behind this?[/QUOTE]

Leftover Puritanical laws about not drinking or shopping on Sundays because it's supposed to be a day of rest.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Because....?

Can't get beer/alcohol here(near Atlanta) on Sundays....period....Unless you go to an 'establishment'. Learned this the hard way not long after I moved here...I placed a bottle of wine on the counter at checkout and I swear she nearly pressed the panic button. I got a dirty look from her and everything. Pays to stock up on Saturday.

Funny part was when we were driving by a nearby church that had a big Budweiser banner out front with the words 'NASCAR FANS WELCOME' on it. This was when Junior was still racing #8 and was sponsored by Bud. Junior is still pretty big around these parts. Go figure.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frostlich;3551062]Can't get beer/alcohol here(near Atlanta) on Sundays....period....Unless you go to an 'establishment'. Learned this the hard way not long after I moved here...I placed a bottle of wine on the counter at checkout and I swear she nearly pressed the panic button. I got a dirty look from her and everything. Pays to stock up on Saturday.

Funny part was when we were driving by a nearby church that had a big Budweiser banner out front with the words 'NASCAR FANS WELCOME' on it. This was when Junior was still racing #8 and was sponsored by Bud. Junior is still pretty big around these parts. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

I know why our religious nutjobs get their panties in a bunch when we drink - it's a sin after all - but I had no idea yours were also opposed to drinking...

It seems to me it's counterproductive. I'm more inclined to believe in religion when I'm drunk - I'll believe almost anything then- so I don't get why they wouldn't wanna get people drunk all the time. Oh well....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Because....?

This law is active in Tennessee as well. :steamin:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    When does the restriction kick in? I mean if you're out saturday night at a bar do they stop selling booze after midnight?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Bravo;3551278]This law is active in Tennessee as well. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

The more religious people in an area, the more of this you'll find. I live in the state with the lowest percent of church goers so we have nothing like this. Beer and liquor everywhere 24/7. Grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations etc.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ours is a weird combination of laws.

Beer and wine everywhere -- grocery, gas stations, drugstores (CVS and Walgreens), convenience stores. It's sold until midnight every day and until 1:00 am on Saturday, but not on Sunday morning.

Liquor is only at liquor stores. They close at 9:00 every night, and aren't open on Sundays. (Reminds me of CT, where I grew up, with packies closing at 8 PM.)

But some counties (or parts of counties or even parts of cities) might be dry or semi-dry.

Also, people under 21 can legally drink alcohol if they're with their parents or spouses.