Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Worst Roads in America

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like

7 Worst Roads in America

1. [B]I-55 in Louisiana[/B]
    “The second you cross the Mississippi state line into Louisiana heading south, it’s like driving on a washboard. You can close your eyes and know. I had a cup full of soda one day, and the road literally rattled it right out of the drink holder and all over the floor of my truck. God help you if you think you’re going to play a CD going down there.”

2. [B]I-12 east of Baton Rouge
    [/B]“It’s one of our deadliest stretches of highways because it goes from six lanes down to four lanes. They’re widening it now, but just another two exits because they don’t have the dollars to finish. So that will just carry the problem farther down the road.

3. [B]I-15 in California (from Barstow to the Nevada state line)[/B]
    “It’s hilly, and the road has a lot of high and low spots. But the real problem is that it’s always so heavy with traffic, and you’ve got gamblers heading to Vegas who are thinking, The buffet in Vegas closes at ten o’clock. I gotta get there. If you hit it on a Friday night? Forget about it. You’re out in the middle of the desert and you get to the top of one of the hills, and as far as you can see it’s just a string of brake lights

4. [B]I-79/I-70 interchange in Pennsylvania[/B]
    “If you’re going north on 79 and you need to go west on 70, the ramp is U-shaped. You’ve got to slow down to 25 to get around this crazy U. There is a wall around it that is just beat to pieces where people have banged into it

5. [B]The Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-78 and I-80 in Pennsylvania[/B]
    “Vehicles have gotten wider and bigger since these roads were built, and they’re still very narrow. They’ve also got a lot of hills and curves, and people are always crossing over into the other lane when they go around a curve. Plus, their on-ramps are very short, and there’s not enough time for people to get up to highway speed. So you end up with lots of people running into the back of slow-moving vehicles as they’re getting off a ramp … It seems like they’ve been under construction forever. We like to say they have two seasons in Pennsylvania: winter and construction

6.[B] I-95 over the George Washington Bridge, New Jersey/New York[/B]
    Truck drivers hate this two-level bridge so much that they will drive 30 or 40 miles out of their way to avoid it. In addition to some of the worst gridlock in the country, it’s got potholes galore. Then there are the drivers. “You can sit there with your signal on all day, and nobody will let you over. So you’ve got to ‘take the lane.’ Basically you start easing over until finally someone realizes he’s going to get run over unless he lets you in

7. [B]The Will Rogers Turnpike (Interstate 44), Oklahoma[/B]
    “I’ve never driven from Tulsa to the Missouri state line when all four lanes were open the whole way. There is always—always—a mile or two where a lane is closed and you have to merge. I keep wondering, When do we get to pay and use the thing?

[URL]http://shine.yahoo.com/event/travel/7-worst-roads-in-america-1229355/[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely agree with #6.

I'm not really familiar with the stretch of I-80 in Pennsylvania, but I-80 in Jersey isn't exactly a pleasant drive. I have the pleasure of driving on it everyday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3550960][B] I-95 over the George Washington Bridge, New Jersey/New York[/B]
    Truck drivers hate this two-level bridge so much that they will drive 30 or 40 miles out of their way to avoid it. In addition to some of the worst gridlock in the country, it’s got potholes galore. Then there are the drivers. “You can sit there with your signal on all day, and nobody will let you over. So you’ve got to ‘take the lane.’ Basically you start easing over until finally someone realizes he’s going to get run over unless he lets you in

[/QUOTE]
    as someone who does this 5 days a week I concur, the GWB and 95 are not for the feint of heart

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Rt 129 in Western North Carolina? 311 turns in 11 miles = best motorcycle road in the world!

[IMG]http://www.dealsgap.com/images/dgMapL.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The I-90/I-95 interchange in New Haven is miserable, especially heading south.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first sure sign that I've landed in the US is the thudthud-thudthud, thudthud-thudthud, thudthud-thudthud... of the cab on the highway (or expressway or whatever you call it).

That, and the 350 pound behemoth who opens the plane door.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worst Road List?

No mention of I-495, the Capitol Beltway, in DC?

Faillist.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3550966]Definitely agree with #6.

I'm not really familiar with the stretch of I-80 in Pennsylvania, but I-80 in Jersey isn't exactly a pleasant drive. I have the pleasure of driving on it everyday.[/QUOTE]

I-80 in PA sucks, especially when the movable home trucks are on the road. I would throw in Rt 17 from Rt 4 to the Bing.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as the GWB sucks, I think the Belt parkway is the most dangerous road in the NY area. You get off the verazzano, have a merge into two thin lanes, the entire thing spirals like a screensaver, there are tons of view obstructions for large stretches, the road itself sucks since its too heavily trafficked to shut down with any ease, and then you have that random traffic light that goes on when the drawbridge is up and everybody is going 70 with crappy visibility.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3550993]The first sure sign that I've landed in the US is the thudthud-thudthud, thudthud-thudthud, thudthud-thudthud... of the cab on the highway (or expressway or whatever you call it).

That, and the 350 pound behemoth who opens the plane door.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully we don't have the german shephards or dobermans in the cabs like in Paris (at least years ago, is that still going on?). One time I opened a cab door and the frigging dog was in the backseat.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am surprised that I-75 coming out of Ohio into Michigan wasnt on the list. that road is nothing but bumps and potholes.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The BQE and the Belt Parkway are [I]far [/I]worse driving experiences than the 95/GWB exchange.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you enjoy sitting in traffic for no reason, try the Staten Island Expressway. In fact, the Goethals/SI Experience is also far worse than the GWB, imo.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the I78 in Penn is bad at all...used to do it almost once a month about 3 years ago.

I-95 from greenwich, ct to NJ (after crossing the GWB) is by far the worst road I've ever been on. The traffic is enough to make someone want to bring a loaded shotgun into the car, but the actual road itsself deters me from wanting to take my nice cars upon it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3551037]I don't think the I78 in Penn is bad at all...used to do it almost once a month about 3 years ago.

I-95 from greenwich, ct to NJ (after crossing the GWB) is by far the worst road I've ever been on. The traffic is enough to make someone want to bring a loaded shotgun into the car, but the actual road itsself deters me from wanting to take my nice cars upon it.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. All my worst driving/traffic experiences have occurred on I-95/GWB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this list a combination of traffic and poorly paved roads? I-78 PA has been under construction since it was build 20 years ago, that area has grown much faster than they ever thought it would, all the New Yorkers fleeing taxes!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3551006]Worst Road List?

No mention of I-495, the Capitol Beltway, in DC?

Faillist.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I heard something funny on the radio last week. A human resources rep for a company in Northern Virginia said five people called in to quit during the morning commute on their first day of work. Never even made it to the office, said they couldn't live with such a commute.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3551023]Thankfully we don't have the german shephards or dobermans in the cabs like in Paris (at least years ago, is that still going on?). One time I opened a cab door and the frigging dog was in the backseat.[/QUOTE]

lol, what? Dogs take cabs in France?

As if they're too good for the bus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3551030]The BQE and the Belt Parkway are [I]far [/I]worse driving experiences than the 95/GWB exchange.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3551034]And if you enjoy sitting in traffic for no reason, try the Staten Island Expressway. In fact, the Goethals/SI Experience is also far worse than the GWB, imo.[/QUOTE]

QFT & E :yes:

I live on SI and the experience you describe is exactly that; sitting in traffic with nary a reason for it, no accident, disabled vehicle, nothing.

I've also had the extreme displeasure of traveling the Gowanus/BQE for the past 20 years. When you hit traffic on a regular basis at 0440 hours like I do, it's time to reassess your highways.:steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3551064]lol, what? Dogs take cabs in France?

As if they're too good for the bus.[/QUOTE]

I took a bus chartered bus from a Bruce Springsteen concert in Paris. The bus driver somehow got the bus wedged in between two buildings, scratched it, and had to file a report with the police. He told us to get out. No apology, just get out. It was like one in the morning and we were in a neighborhood that specialized in African transvestites. Took about an hour to get a cab, even though a lot of them seemed empty. Cab drivers were really rude, and had menacing dogs in the front seat. We just jumped in one even though he told us not to get in, pretending not to understand him. He insulted us the entire way, but I was so happy to get out of that area that I tipped him handsomely.

That was a long time ago. Haven't taken a cab in over ten years. I prefer to ride the subway so kids can slide in my turnstile with me, attempting to pick my pocket.