Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Could Cotchery play the slot?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Cotchery play the slot?

If the jets drafted a dez bryant or thomas from GT, could cotch switch to the slot for at least a year - is he suited to play that role, given who else would be on the field when he'd be in the slot? or is that just tinkering with a guy who is already productive at his current position?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idk but I think if we were to get either of those 2 players then I would have to say sure Cotch could play the slot. I think he has the tools to be a fine slot WR. Correct me if I am wrong but he is tough, has great hands, deceptive speed and and an uncanny ability to make plays after the catch.

I would be all for that but I think it would not happen with those 2 WR's at LEAST until they prove they are capable in this system and at the next level (NFL).

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He would probably play slot on 3 WR sets, and his normal #2 spot on anything else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people on this board seem to think so, but I'm not one of them.
    The most successful slot guys have great short area quickness and burst.

It's pretty evident that he's not the guy you want in the slot when you watch him as a punt returner.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    He would probably play slot on 3 WR sets, and his normal #2 spot on anything else.
    I thought that was a given!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Cotchery could play the slot but it's more likely if we draft a WR that they would play in the slot and backup Edwards and Cotchery. I seriously doubt the Jets would move Cotchery into the slot over a rookie.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

It's pretty evident that he's not the guy you want in the slot when you watch him as a punt returner.
    +1

Word.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dexter McCluster could

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    When he played, I thought he was playing there his 1st year or two with the Jets?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO Cotch would flourish in the slot but you need to draft a Dez Bryant or trade for Brandon Marshall for that to happen...

Yes speed helps but if speed was all you need from a slot receiver Clowney would have worked out for us...What makes a good slot receiver is the ability to run crisp routes to get separation...Cotch is by far the best route runner on the team and is more than capable of getting separation on 5-10 yard slants in man coverage...If we were to draft Dez Bryant or trade for Brandon Marshall, Cotch would be seeing man coverage all game long and feast on it...He also puts up very good YAC and has the surest hands in the league...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

I have to disagree with this. Returning punts has nothing to do with running a crisp route or gaining position on a #3 junk CB.

I personally feel he'd THRIVE in the slot. How many quick slants did we see him convert for third downs in 2009 with Sanchez?? He seemed to do those effortlessly with sometimes #1 guys on him. He was leading the league by week 5 in stats at his position until Braylon came in and he injured his hammy.

He's deceivingly quick, physical, hands of gold and is one of the better YACs guys in the league. I'd love to have him play slot with B Marshall or another legit #1 on the outside. Our offense goes to Legit status if this happens. He'd **** on #3 guys.