Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 years ago : Johnny 'Lam' Jones ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

30 years ago : Johnny 'Lam' Jones ~ ~ ~

Thirty years ago : Johnny 'Lam' Jones
    April 08, 2010 - by Mike Beacom

> [url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/08/thirty-years-ago-johnny-lam-jones[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12550_15.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://a902.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/28/a_cf7de9786d2a7ad4c1439e7e815d4995.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12550_15.gif[/IMG]

I remember hearing on the radio during the playoffs when FAN was organizing a pep rally by the Brooklyn Bridge that all Jet alumni in the area were called and invited to attend.

Apparently Jones now lives in the area, and he responded that he would love to attend but he answered that he was afraid he would be a distraction and be roundly booed by the Jet fans at the event.

What a sad story!

I also remember being at Hofstra in his rookie training camp and watching a scrimmage betrween Jet rookies and Giant rookies. He was not only fast but was tremendously quick. If he caught the ball he was extremely dangerous after the catch. A major problem was that he jumped every time a ball was thrown toward him whether he needed to or not. The Jets tried very hard to break him of that habit but they were not successful.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3552378]I remember hearing on the radio during the playoffs when FAN was organizing a pep rally by the Brooklyn Bridge that all Jet alumni in the area were called and invited to attend.

Apparently Jones now lives in the area, and he responded that he would love to attend but he answered that he was afraid he would be a distraction and be roundly booed by the Jet fans at the event.

What a sad story!

I also remember being at Hofstra in his rookie training camp and watching a scrimmage betrween Jet rookies and Giant rookies. He was not only fast but was tremendously quick. If he caught the ball he was extremely dangerous after the catch. A major problem was that he jumped every time a ball was thrown toward him whether he needed to or not. The Jets tried very hard to break him of that habit but they were not successful.[/QUOTE]

I was at that scrimmage too, he looked like a start in the making. No one would have guessed how much of a failure in the making we were looking at that day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[I]"It's not a happy memory for Jets fans, but then again, when it comes to past draft selections, [B]the team's animated (and dedicated) followers tend to dwell on the negative picks more than the ones that produced."[/B][/I]

The author has a handle on our fan base. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Jumpin' Johnny, the guy was scary fast and quick but just couldn't catch.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3552388][I]"It's not a happy memory for Jets fans, but then again, when it comes to past draft selections, [B]the team's animated (and dedicated) followers tend to dwell on the negative picks more than the ones that produced."[/B][/I]

The author has a handle on our fan base. :yes:[/QUOTE]

The author is quoting Rich Cimini who should know from negative.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=32green;3552398]The author is quoting Rich Cimini who should know from negative.[/QUOTE]

1. He was NOT quoting Cimini.

2. The quote is dead on, no matter who came up with it. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3552419]1. He was NOT quoting Cimini.

2. The quote is dead on, no matter who came up with it. :yes:[/QUOTE]

My bad!:O

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=32green;3552438]My bad!:O[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12550_15.gif[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3552442][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/customavatars/avatar12550_15.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lmao, well done.:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3552440]Just to put Vernon Gholston in perspective here

Compared to Vernon Gholston, Johnny Lam Jones was a Grand-Slam Homerun in the draft

Don't believe me?

Think I'm exaggerating?

Okay, look it up, look up the numbers and you'll see that at least Lam Jones made something approaching a contribution, while Vernon Gholston has done [B]ABSOLUTELY ZERO[/B]

What I'm saying is, Vernon Gholston has definitely eclipsed Lam Jones in the pantheon of Jets busts

Absolutely and its not even a close call

So there's no need to go back 30 Years if you want to lament the mother of all busts

That guy is on this current Jets roster[/QUOTE]
    gholston is a pos.

oh well ,
    cheers ~ ~
    :rockon:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3552440]Just to put Vernon Gholston in perspective here

Compared to Vernon Gholston, Johnny Lam Jones was a Grand-Slam Homerun in the draft

Don't believe me?

Think I'm exaggerating?

Okay, look it up, look up the numbers and you'll see that at least Lam Jones made something approaching a contribution, while Vernon Gholston has done [B]ABSOLUTELY ZERO[/B]

What I'm saying is, Vernon Gholston has definitely eclipsed Lam Jones in the pantheon of Jets busts

Absolutely and its not even a close call

So there's no need to go back 30 Years if you want to lament the mother of all busts

That guy is on this current Jets roster[/QUOTE]

Lam was a bust because he had an injury riddled career and couldn't stay on the field.

With Gholston it doesn't make a bit of difference whether he is injured or not, he's not getting on the field at this point.

He's easily the bigger bust. :yes:

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3552468]Indeed

Vernon Gholston is easily the biggest bust in Jets history

That's right, [B]the biggest bust in Jets history[/B]

Blair Thomas, Lam Jones, Johnny Mitchell ... those guys all produced "something"

They didn't live up to their draft status, but they all produced something and made some contribution

Don't take my word for it, just look it up ... those guys were all-pros compared to Vernon Gholston

Gholston has been a complete and utter bust from the word [B][SIZE="4"]GO[/SIZE][/B]

Name for me just one play of note he has made for the NY Jets?

JUST ONE PLAY OF NOTE, ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE ORDINARY?

This guy hasn't made a single play of note for the NY Jets ... not one![/QUOTE]

As the croation dribbler would say...YOU KNEW, Ham. YOU KNEW!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Blair Thomas, Lam Jones, Johnny Mitchell ... those guys all produced "something"

They didn't live up to their draft status, but they all produced something and made some contribution

Don't take my word for it, just look it up ... those guys were all-pros compared to Vernon Gholston

Gholston has been a complete and utter bust from the word [B][SIZE="4"]GO[/SIZE][/B]

The problem for me, and I never really had any lasting venom for Lam or these other supposed draft busts, is that Gholstons failings seem to be of the heart....like he got paid and went limp.

I know there are many that argued that he was a bit stiff, lacked a killer instinct and love for the game to begin with, but his lack of any production at this point has to be on him.

As a matter of fact I think its a travesty for Lam that he is even mentioned with this fraud because at least he tried.

All League
    kelly is-

A. a hot blonde chick from Denmark who enjoys copy pasting team articles on various NFL message boards.

or

B. some random overweight dude who enjoys copy pasting team articles on various NFL message boards.

Hey Ham ole buddy, Tell us how you fell about Vernon Gholston?

no doubt lam had some talent. i remember seeing todd hit him deep in stride but not being able to catch the ball. he was able to simply smoke the corners. too bad he couldn't catch.

One play? Ok he has made one play of note. Remember when he chased down Johnson in the Tenn game?Very well could have been a TD saving tackle.
    Of course having one play of note might be more of an indictment on his desire than if he had none.
    Oh and Carl Barzilaskus (sp?) was as at least as big a bust

@Green Jets & Ham

Didn't Gholston get injured last season?