Thread: Clemson Ricky Sapp could be an option for Jets in NFL Draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Clemson Ricky Sapp could be an option for Jets in NFL Draft

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...acker_ric.html
    Rex Ryan was talking shop inside the Jets’ film room, showing off some of the nuances of the league’s elite defense, when Clemson outside linebacker Ricky Sapp came to this realization: How cool would it be to play for this guy?

The 6-5, 252-pound Sapp, a projected late first-round/early second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, could be an ideal fit for a team looking for an edge pass rusher.
    The Jets, of course, rolled out the red-carpet for 13-year veteran Jason Taylor this week in their search to boost their pedestrian sack totals (32) last season.

“Are you kidding me? I would love to be a part of that defense,” Sapp said today. “Just seeing what they do scheme wise -- and seeing the talented players that they have -- is exciting. ... Talking to (Ryan) and watching film with him, I could tell he’s one of those guys that puts you in the right position to make plays. I definitely want to be a part of that.”

Sapp bounced back from a torn right ACL injury during his junior year to record career highs in tackles (60), tackles for loss (5) and sacks (5) last season. His blend of athleticism and smarts makes him an attractive option for the Jets at the 29th overall pick.

Sapp, who met with Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and a few players this week at the team’s practice facility in Florham Park, has aleardy worked out for the Patriots and Eagles.

After playing on his surgically repaired knee at “60 percent” last season, Sapp skipped the Senior Bowl to make sure he could prove to NFL scouts and evaluators that his injury is a thing of the past.

“Right now my knee feels great,” Sapp said. “I feel like I’m back to my old self. When I’m running and working out, I don’t even remember getting hurt or even thinking about it.”

Sapp made a seamless transition from defensive end to stand-up outside linebacker in Clemson’s 3-4 alignments last season.

“It was natural,” Sapp said. “I played a little bit (at outside linebacker) over the past four years. Last year, I stood up a whole lot more. I had no problem with dropping back and covering running backs and receivers. I enjoyed it. It was very natural for me.”

“Playing in a 3-4 scheme is a challenge … and I love a challenge,” he added. “I just love competition.”
    I love just reading how guys get excited just thinking about playing on the Jets defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he'd be a heck of a 2nd round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1
    +2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's long gone by our 2nd round pick. I'm telling you, he's a Top 40 prospect..... and absolutely could be under consideration come pick #29.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    He's long gone by our 2nd round pick. I'm telling you, he's a Top 40 prospect..... and absolutely could be under consideration come pick #29.
    The problem is that there are probably 60 top-40 prospects in this draft. Some of them are simply not going to be top-40 unless the laws of mathematics changes in the next 3 weeks. Look at the mocks and the top half of the 2nd round is littered with guys who are 1st rounders in other mocks. You may be right about this one, but I think there are going to be nice names at 58 (or wherever our 2nd round pick is).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    The problem is that there are probably 60 top-40 prospects in this draft. Some of them are simply not going to be top-40 unless the laws of mathematics changes in the next 3 weeks. Look at the mocks and the top half of the 2nd round is littered with guys who are 1st rounders in other mocks. You may be right about this one, but I think there are going to be nice names at 58 (or wherever our 2nd round pick is).
    I meant Top 40 in this draft.

But I agree with you in that this draft is deep in the top half.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he'd be a heck of a 2nd round pick.
    He won't be there at 61, but I guess you already knew that.

It's 29 or nothing for Sapp, I could poop on "value" - if you think he's going to be able to pass rush in the NFL go ahead and take him in the 1st. The hits and misses happen at every single draft slot, VG for instance - to beat a dead horse, have to get value at the 6 spot, now it's like that pick never existed. Think a guys a legit pass rusher in the NFL, take him whether or not Mayock has him ranked 10 slots later.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    He won't be there at 61, but I guess you already knew that.

It's 29 or nothing for Sapp, I could poop on "value" - if you think he's going to be able to pass rush in the NFL go ahead and take him in the 1st. The hits and misses happen at every single draft slot, VG for instance - to beat a dead horse, have to get value at the 6 spot, now it's like that pick never existed. Think a guys a legit pass rusher in the NFL, take him whether or not Mayock has him ranked 10 slots later.
    "It's not where you draft them, it's how they play"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I strongly agree with you. he could be our #1 pick.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone thinks hes getting past the 3 Patriots picks in the 2nd, you're nuts.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    If anyone thinks hes getting past the 3 Patriots picks in the 2nd, you're nuts.
    Patriots are going to get some good talent in the first few rounds. I don't even like to think about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    100%...from late round one through the middle of the second frame there's not a huge difference in ability...

going back the past five months I doubt there's been a bigger Sapp supporter on this forum than me- I've always thought and stated he's one of the most underrated/under appreciated talents in this draft...a terrific athlete with a great upside...

I'd be lying if I did not also say the recent sad showing of Clemson d-linemen in the league concerns me...having a college DE stand up and play OLB is also a concern- though Sapp stood up over tackle more times than people realize and showed a lot of skill in pursuit...

Would I'd take him @29? If Odrick, D Thomas and D McCourty are off the board then yes....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    100%...from late round one through the middle of the second frame there's not a huge difference in ability...

going back the past five months I doubt there's been a bigger Sapp supporter on this forum than me- I've always thought and stated he's one of the most underrated/under appreciated talents in this draft...a terrific athlete with a great upside...

I'd be lying if I did not also say the recent sad showing of Clemson d-linemen in the league concerns me...having a college DE stand up and play OLB is also a concern- though Sapp stood up over tackle more times than people realize and showed a lot of skill in pursuit...

Would I'd take him @29? If Odrick, D Thomas and D McCourty are off the board then yes....
    Sapp or Linval Joseph?

Am I nuts to go Joseph and take O'Brien Schofield in the 5th?

Joseph plays RDE and some DT/NT rotating with Jenkins.

Schofield rehabs '10 and is your pass rushing OLB next year. Jason Taylor fills that role in '10.

I'd also take CB Joshua Moore in the 4th, if he's still on the board....

I'd look at WR at 61 - Damien Williams, Marcus Easley, Carlton Mitchell. 61 might be alittle early for Easley and Mitchell but without a 3rd can't risk waiting till the late 4th......
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-10-2010 at 11:36 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sapp is a guy who is lots of teams would be happy to take in the 2nd round but wouldn't want to risk in the first round. that makes him a prime candidate to for the patriots to grab him in the 2nd with one of their picks. personally i think that's a great bet. as a jet fan, i'd love to have him in green, but not with the 29th pick. same for dunlap, wr thomas and other high risks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Sapp or Linval Joseph?

Am I nuts to go Joseph and take O'Brien Schofield in the 5th?

Joseph plays RDE and some DT/NT rotating with Jenkins.

Schofield rehabs '10 and is your pass rushing OLB next year. Jason Taylor fills that role in '10.

I'd also take CB Joshua Moore in the 4th, if he's still on the board....
    right. give me more of the sure thing, like aluaha, even if his upside isn't a julius peppers. ryan would create that tough front 3 and you can always get a worlids in the 2nd to blitz.