Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The DirtySanchez 2nd to last mock

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

The DirtySanchez 2nd to last mock

FA: Jason Taylor

Trades: Jets trade Leon Washington and 5th round pick for 49ers 2nd round pick.

Jets Trade 29th pick to the Cleveland Browns for 2nd round pick and 4th rounder

Jets trade 4th(AZ) and 4th(CLE) for a mid 3rd round pick.

Draft:
    2A(CLE) The New York Jets Select Kareem Jackson CB from Alabama

Read & React: Good route recognition. Reads the body lean of his opponent and has the athleticism to react accordingly. He anticipates the path of the ball and extends to reach around a receiver to break up passes. Reads run quickly and attacks the run on the perimeter.

Man Coverage: Good bump-and-run corner. Provides a good, physical pop at the line of scrimmage and keeps his hand on the receiver downfield to control. Good use of body to push the receiver outside, using the sideline to help cut off the space in which the quarterback can throw the ball. Allows too much separation on deep routes and has stiffness in his hips when suddenly changing direction. Face guards at this level, but won't be allowed to do so in the NFL.

Zone Coverage: Good awareness for zone coverage. A bit high in his backpedal and has some stiffness in his hips, but trusts his eyes and locates the football quickly. Savvy, physical player. Likes to use his hands to re-route the receiver. Has quick feet and a good burst out of his breaks to close.

Closing/Recovery: Lacks an elite second gear to recover if beaten initially, but has an impressive burst downhill to close on the ball. Plants his foot and drives, showing good body control to adjust around the receiver and get his hands on the ball. Times his leaps well and has an explosive vertical. Good hand-eye coordination and ball skills to extend and pluck outside of his frame.

Run Support: Aggressive to the line of scrimmage to help against the run, protecting the edge and forcing the back to cut back inside. Fights through the receiver's block and has the agility to elude bigger blockers in tight quarters. Good vision and effort to cut through the trash in pursuit. Takes good angles in pursuit.

Tackling: Strong wrap-up tackler. Brings his hips through and can be a big hitter on the boundary. Willing to face up bigger ballcarriers. Will lead with his shoulder when he sees the receiver in a vulnerable position. Good strength for the drag-down tackle when trailing the receiver across the middle.

Intangibles: Highly competitive player that puts in time in the film room. Asked for his grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, but didn't read it upon receiving it. Jackson gave the unopened envelope to Nick Saban to hold until after the BCS National Championship game so that the contents wouldn't be a distraction.

2B(SF) The New York Jets select Linval Joseph NT/DE from East Carolina

Pass rush: Looks like a nose tackle but plays like a three-technique, penetrating and getting consistent pressure when fresh. Good closing speed for his size, swallows up quarterbacks that lack great elusiveness. Straight-ahead runner, however with limited lateral quickness, will not break down to change direction in the backfield.

Run defense: Adequate anchoring against double-team blocking due to thick legs and a wide upper body and will move to the ballcarrier after he's through the line. Can be moved and doesn't rip off blocks to stop the play before it starts. Willing to chase down the line and downfield between the tackles if he sees the ball in his area. Susceptible to the cut block. Not strong enough to arm tackle backs in the hole.

Explosion: Surprising quickness off of the snap for his size, gets into his gap in a hurry when fresh. Does not deliver much pop to his opponent with his hands on initial contact, however, relying on athleticism to get the job done.

Strength: Does not play as strong as you would think because he plays high and does not consistently use his hands to disengage. Does not reset his hands, get leverage by getting his hands under pads, or attempt to churn his legs after contact to push his man into the backfield.

Tackling: Length and wide body allows him to engulf players in his path. Gives effort to chase, can be effective when well rested. Gets a lot of assisted tackles because of his hustle. Does not sink his hips when approaching the ball, however, and is easily eluded by quicker players in space.

Intangibles: Part of a rotation inside, possibly due to stamina issues. Looks to be winded when playing two consecutive series. Dropped 70 pounds after his freshman season (came to EUC at more than 370 pounds) due to a back injury, regained 20 before 2008 season.

2C) The New York Jets select Lamarr Houston DE from Texas

Pass rush: Extremely agile for a 300-pounder and works relentlessly to reach the quarterback. Gets under the shoulder of his man if lined up in the gap or slanting. Beats most cut blocks with quickness and strong hands and is able to recover from initial stalemate to get after the passer. Good backfield awareness. Gets his hands up to deflect passes, though his height and length leave something to be desired. Dangerous on twists inside. Short arms cause him to work harder to get off blocks against top-level guards. Must improve pass-rush moves.

Run defense: Excellent pursuit down the line. Upper body and hands are strong enough for him to pull down ballcarriers while engaged with blockers. Regularly lines up at the five-technique, standing his ground against larger linemen using a strong punch and leverage. Stays square to the line, able to move laterally while engaged. Lacks the bulk play inside on run downs at the next level.

Explosion: Has a good first step, but not elite first-step quickness. Lines up with two hands down so often he must prove to scouts he can get off quickly from the three-technique; his ability to penetrate on slants shows he's capable. Gets his hands into a blocker's jersey quickly and pushes them back using leverage and brute strength.

Strength: Massive upper body. Should wow teams pumping bench-press reps at the Combine. Plays strong and has a good punch with violent hands to disengage. Uses low center of gravity to keep leverage against the run. Holds up larger lineman and double teams but will be engulfed by larger NFL linemen, unable to disengage when head-up.

Tackling: Very strong tackler, comes with aggression and does not let go once in contact with the ballcarrier. Agile enough to get through trash inside. Good flexibility and strength to bring down backs coming through the hole. Good burst to the quarterback once through the line. Does not break down in space and lacks the change-of-direction skills to capture elusiveness quarterbacks and running backs, but will chase them down with hustle and good straight-line speed.

Intangibles: Very competitive. Has an above-average motor and is willing to play hurt. Generally quiet, but took over vocal defensive line leadership role as a senior. Suspended for one game in 2008 after DWI arrest. Parents are both ministers.

3rd) The New York Jets select OG/OT John Jerry from Mississsippi

Pass blocking: Strong punch at the snap as a pass blocker. Sticky hands and can control the pass rusher when he locks on. Can bend at the waist instead of his knees, especially as he wears down. Doesn't consistently place his hands accurately or move his feet actively when in pass protection and too often is left leaning or attempting to recover due to slipped blocks. Has to show more consistent lateral agility and balance to be considered an offensive tackle -- instead of a guard -- in the NFL.

Run blocking: Good initial pop at the line of scrimmage to stun the defender and can overcome his opponent with his strength and mass as a run blocker. Shows some nastiness and looks to pancake his opponent if he senses he's off-balance. Relies on his mass to gain movement at the point of attack.

Pulling/trapping: Surprising agility to get out and around the line. Good initial quickness off the snap, but loses speed quickly and struggles to adjust to moving targets at the second level.

Initial Quickness: Good first-step quickness for the down block, but this is not one of Jerry's relative strengths. Can struggle with smaller, quicker defenders, at least until he gets his hands on them.

Downfield: Intimidating presence at the second level and can wall off defenders from the ballcarrier. Struggles to adjust in space, and too often whiffs at the second level.

Intangibles: Massive man. Not just big, but very strong. Broke the Ole Miss record with 34 repetitions of 225 pounds last year -- a difficult feat considering his long arms. Too heavy and carries unnecessary weight around the middle, which clearly caused him to labor in the second half of games during the 2008 season. Played last season in the 350-360-pound range, but Ole Miss coaches would have liked him closer to 325. The brother of Atlanta Falcons 2009 first-round pick Peria Jerry, a former All-SEC defensive tackle for the Rebels.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I see 3 defensive players to open up, and no WR, but each pick has merit at first glance. I can't help feeling a WR instead of one of the DL would make it better but it's not a fatal flaw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Not sure I see 3 defensive players to open up, and no WR, but each pick has merit at first glance. I can't help feeling a WR instead of one of the DL would make it better but it's not a fatal flaw.
    +1

Although I don't see Leon being traded.

I know people think SF is interested in him but it was reported that nobody within the 49ers FO contacted Leon. Leon contacted Johnny Raye the 49ers OC, his ex RBs coach with the Jets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    +1

Although I don't see Leon being traded.

I know people think SF is interested in him but it was reported that nobody within the 49ers FO contacted Leon. Leon contacted Johnny Raye the 49ers OC, his ex RBs coach with the Jets.
    The 49ers would have to be certifiably insane to trade a 2nd (or a 3rd or a 4th for that matter) for Leon. It's two weeks before the draft, and he's still not even running (on March 23, Keels told NYDN he'd be cleared to run in about 10 to 14 days but that didn't happen).

I love Leon, but I'm just not seeing why anyone would trade more than a conditional pick for a small, 28-year-old RB who suffered a compound fracture and would also need a new multi-million $ contract in an era when draft picks are such a huge commodity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6 View Post
    The 49ers would have to be certifiably insane to trade a 2nd (or a 3rd or a 4th for that matter) for Leon. It's two weeks before the draft, and he's still not even running (on March 23, Keels told NYDN he'd be cleared to run in about 10 to 14 days but that didn't happen).

I love Leon, but I'm just not seeing why anyone would trade more than a conditional pick for a small, 28-year-old RB who suffered a compound fracture and would also need a new multi-million $ contract in an era when draft picks are such a huge commodity.
    I know. I've been saying that for weeks. But people saw a story a month ago that the 49ers were interested and think they are going to trade for him. It was then, like I mentioned, reported Leon contacted Raye. But people don't seem to care.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I know. I've been saying that for weeks. But people saw a story a month ago that the 49ers were interested and think they are going to trade for him. It was then, like I mentioned, reported Leon contacted Raye. But people don't seem to care.
    It's tough to separate sentimentality from reality I guess.

People need to look at it from the other angle. Imagine if the Jets traded for a 28-year-old running back who can't even run (and whose career rushing high was 650 yards) coming off a devastating injury...when there's a dozen or so RBs fresh out of college with fresh legs you could get in the middle rounds on a significantly cheaper contract. It would not go over well.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next years draft is loaded on the offensive side especially WR and i dont think anyone in this years draft would make a impact besides tate or bryant

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joseph and Houston would definately give the Jets some flexability on the DL. Rex would definately have fun with them and it gives the Jets a backup plan for next year and this year if injuries occur. Id be all for it, but I dont know how many roster spots would be open.