Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: What if the Pats landed...

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like

    What if the Pats landed...

    Bryant or Spiller? Traded up,...they fall...w/e.

    Bored and curious.

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would suck!!! I would be more worried about spiller though. With Welker coming off major knee injury and Moss aging with only 1 yr left on his contract I think long term Revis will negate any significant impact Dez bryant has against the jets.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I'm thinking Spiller moreso than Bryant, but I could see them taking Bryant too.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately all those years of the patriots trading down and trading players for future picks has come upon us. Theyre loaded in this draft to get tons of highly rated players. And even have the ammo to trade up to make a major splash. Now that I think about it, any chance they make a move for Brandon Marshall? seems unlikely and not they're style but that would be a nightmare.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    f*ck. Bryant to the Patriots would just be another slap in the face in a long line of slaps.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SantanaMoss83 View Post
    Unfortunately all those years of the patriots trading down and trading players for future picks has come upon us. Theyre loaded in this draft to get tons of highly rated players. And even have the ammo to trade up to make a major splash. Now that I think about it, any chance they make a move for Brandon Marshall? seems unlikely and not they're style but that would be a nightmare.
    +1
    With a first and three second round picks they have a lot of options. I can't remember a draft where the value of a second round pick was so high.
    A second and a conditional 4th in 2011 would get it done for Marshall. Two second's and the 21st pick gets them into the top ten and they grab Spiller.
    Spiller and Marshall could revitalize Brady and the Pats.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing that doesn't fit with me on a Marshall trade - they guy wants to get paid, big time. Not the Patsies MO, in my book. When they nabbed Moss, he wanted to win a championship, more than getting a big payday, which is why it worked out. (For the Patsies, anyway ).

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares... we would then have a better chance at Brandon Graham or Sergio Kindle which would make our defense that more deadly...

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    +1
    With a first and three second round picks they have a lot of options. I can't remember a draft where the value of a second round pick was so high.
    A second and a conditional 4th in 2011 would get it done for Marshall. Two second's and the 21st pick gets them into the top ten and they grab Spiller.
    Spiller and Marshall could revitalize Brady and the Pats.

    Except they still wont be able to stop anyone on D.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats are certainly going to do add some very solid players. Can you imagine if they came away with Brandon Graham in the first and then some combination of guys like Damian Williams, McCourty, Linvale Joseph, Kareem Jackson, or Koa Misi in the second.

    While a lot of Jets fans seem to beat their chest that the "future is bright", if anything I think the Jets are in full out "Win Now" mode while the Patriots are young and retooling for the long haul. The Jets certainly have some great young players, but I think management realizes that they cant possibly retain everyone (Revis -12-15 mil per season?, Harris- 8 mil per season?, Mangold- highest paid center in league, Brick -franchise LT money even though in my opinion he is an average LT at best), and Cromartie). The Jets are trying to make a push at a Superbowl before resigning all of these players becomes a real issue (assuming a salary cap is in place) and as a result forfeiting a lot of their draft picks for underachieving malcontents.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Pats trading up for Spiller in my last mock with trades. I was told 'The Pats NEVER trade up.' They have a whole lot of ammo to trade up pretty well as high as they want.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes anyone think that the pats will do anything different then they have in the past?

    I dont see them trading up at all. I'm guessing they wont see the value with their first and trade down into the second. Giving them 4 in the second round.

    If they are smart they will actually use the 4 seconds to replenish their roster but will most likely trade out with one of them possibly for something next year.

    Teams use the same draft strategy year in and year out their is no reason to believe BB will do anything different.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Who cares... we would then have a better chance at Brandon Graham or Sergio Kindle which would make our defense that more deadly...
    exactly what I was thinking.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sirius "Moving the Chains" mock yesterday had the Pats taking Wootton, Kareem Jackson and Sapp in the 2nd...

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    I expect the pats to trade back.

    I'm thinking Dallas, Rams or Lions might want to move ahead of GB to grab the highest OL left.

    SD to move ahead of Philly for the #2 rb

    Minny to get the #2 corner.

    I would not be surprised to see them go back twice to about pick 35

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,250
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Pats move up for spiller....they have very little speed on the entire roster, and need a game breaking player and spiller fits that description. They can find CB, and other Def with their other picks.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dez Bryant would be like a dirty bomb showing up at Pats HQ. That would be an extremely risky pick and great news for Jets fans.

    cj spiller scares me.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think the Pats move up for spiller....they have very little speed on the entire roster, and need a game breaking player and spiller fits that description. They can find CB, and other Def with their other picks.
    I think so too. I think the WRs have been smoke screens. They have no RB, they have no running game, and Spiller is versatile enough to catch passes too.

    Also, expect them to grab an OL or so to help them rebuild their running game. Vollmer looks like a beast, but a RT and RG might also be on their radar.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Dez Bryant would be like a dirty bomb showing up at Pats HQ. That would be an extremely risky pick and great news for Jets fans.

    cj spiller scares me.
    Extremely risky? For the Pats? In what way? He's going to invite Pac Man to camp with them? He'll forget his cleats to practice and ruin the order of the whole organization? Yea, OK.

    Funnily enough, if he were to fall to 22 it's one pick after another obvious top talent at WR fell in his draft. That guy turned out to be the biggest playmaking WR of all time of course, and I'm not saying Bryant will be there. I'm saying when you peg kids into negative holes while someone is willing to help that kid out of the hole then that someone usually reaps major benefits.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    What makes anyone think that the pats will do anything different then they have in the past?

    I dont see them trading up at all. I'm guessing they wont see the value with their first and trade down into the second. Giving them 4 in the second round.

    If they are smart they will actually use the 4 seconds to replenish their roster but will most likely trade out with one of them possibly for something next year.

    Teams use the same draft strategy year in and year out their is no reason to believe BB will do anything different.
    Not if GMs change and if they see huge success by other teams taking a different tact. The NFL is cyclical and changes over time. A lot of teams simply can't ignore what the Jets have done the last few years. Lets face it the Pats draft strat over the last few years has blown big time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us