Thread: What if the Jets drafted: Carlos Dunlap?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What if the Jets drafted: Carlos Dunlap?

How would you feel? How would you use him? How much would you use him? Would he rotate with DeVito at DE, or sit out?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not really sure he fits what we're trying to do on Defense, he's a tweener between DE and OLB in a 3-4, doesn't really fit either one all that great, IMO. I think he needs to be a straight up 4-3 DE. But I guess Rex would know better then me there.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a DE in this D if that helps your decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really.

Unless he drastically improves his technique, he would get blown off the Line of Scrimmage by NFL Offensive Lineman as a 3-4 DE. Plus, I don't see him as a "doing the dirty work" type player like is a significant part of that position.

He's at his best when you allow him to use his considerable physical tools coming off the edge, still his inconsistant motor and lack of pass rush moves makes me wary of him as an OLB prospect as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horrible...

Has no interest in getting his nose dirty and would rather just get washed out on a number of plays. Occasionally decides he wants to do something, but he doesn't have the interest that will mean a productive NFL player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's he going to look like in 5 years (if he were drafted by us)?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Not really.

Unless he drastically improves his technique, he would get blown off the Line of Scrimmage by NFL Offensive Lineman as a 3-4 DE. Plus, I don't see him as a "doing the dirty work" type player like is a significant part of that position.

He's at his best when you allow him to use his considerable physical tools coming off the edge, still his inconsistant motor and lack of pass rush moves makes me wary of him as an OLB prospect as well.
    great post, thank you

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can still add some weight to his frame so you would think he would play DE. But I read recently that a guy like Corey Wootton is being viewed as a 3-4 OLB and not DE so maybe these guys can stand up.

I however am not for Dunlap though. He has the tools but his motor runs too hot and cold for my liking. Boom or bust is not really my thing. I like guys that love football and play hard. Not sure if Dunlap falls in this category.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos Dunlap has the size to play 3-4 End but like it's been said can he really play the "5 Technique"? He likes to show his skills on the edge, but how about the dirty work of eatting up blockers for the Linebackers to make the plays?

Just a Side point these are the techniques that a 3-4 system imployes;

The 3-4 is a base personnel package 3 lineman and four linebackers. From there though, there are so many different alignments and techniques that you just can't talk about 3-4 beyond it being a personnel package.

So you first question can't be answered unless you know what kind of technique your team plans to run. The NT might line up directly on the center, or just off the center, or in a gap, based on the technique.

In general, there is a major difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3. In the 4-3, lineman are generally meant to penetrate the offensive line, get to the ball carrier or sack the drop-back passer. It is about exploding off the ball, penetrating your gap (or beating the outside man if you are an end). For that reason, natural athletes are well suited for the 4-3; all you have to do is beat your block(s) with whatever speed, technique and power you have.

The 3-4 is about the linebackers. Generally, the 3-4 makes huge demands on the lineman to free up the linebackers to make plays. The 3-4 is more about reading and reacting hesitating that crucial moment to see/feel where the play is headed and then flow to it

Here is a good summary of the different techniques in the 3-4

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
    The "2" Technique places the DT at the inside eye of the OG keying the Guard. Responsibilities are as follows:
    #1=Defeat the Guard and pursue the play.
    #2=Check for the Draw.
    #3=Rush the drop pass passer.

The "3" Gap Technique aligns the Defensive Tackle (DT) in the gap between the Offensive Guard (OG) and Offensive Tackle (OT). The DT keys the movements of the OG and OT. Duties are as follows:
    #1=Explode through the gap one to one and a half yards with the head up looking for the ball.
    #2=If the gap is narrow make contact and read and react resisting the flow of the play.
    #3=Look for the trap, then flow to the play.
    #4=Rush the passer.

The "4" Technique (Strong Side) calls for the DT to line up head to head with the OT when a TE is present and key the actions of the OT. Responsibilities are:
    #1=Defeat the OT and control both gaps.
    #2=Rush the passer.
    #3=Keep the OT off the LB.
    #4=If the OT blocks down (inside) crash down on the OT's hip.
    #5=Check for the Trap, then pursue the play.

The "5" Technique aligns the DT at the outside eye of the OT, keying first the TE, then the OT. Duties are:
    #1=To keep the OT off the LB.
    #2=DT can't be blocked singularly by the OT.
    #3=Check for the Trap.
    #4=Rush the pass.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Football-...nsive-Line.htm

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    as we approach the draft and I learn more about this player, the more I think the Jets would pass on him... take Everson Griffen instead of him etc. He's not that stout at the point, he's got a thin lower body and motor is terrible. Great potential but if you made me bet money on his career, I'd bet he busts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    meh...never been a fan. Give me Worilds in the second or move up for Graham.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This.