Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if the Jets drafted: Jared Odrick?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What if the Jets drafted: Jared Odrick?

Same thing...how would we use him? How often would he play? Would he beat out DeVito and rotate? Would the pick be worthwhile? Where is he in 5 years?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    replaces douglas as the starter at 3-4 DE. The closer it gets to the draft the more I feel like he's gonna be the pick. Not because he's the best player but because he fills a need and guys like graham, kindle, and tate may probably all be gone by 29. Personally I feel like its a bit uncharacteristic based on recent events for us to draft such a "non-sexy" position. It won't make a big splash in the headlines, but it would be a sound decision to invest in a guy with prototype size for a 3-4 DE. I'm just not all that impressed with the tape i've seen on him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He becomes an immediate rotational DE and probably even groomed at DT.

I think Odrick at this point the Jets "plan A" pick if we don't trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SantanaMoss83 View Post
    replaces douglas as the starter at 3-4 DE. The closer it gets to the draft the more I feel like he's gonna be the pick. Not because he's the best player but because he fills a need and guys like graham, kindle, and tate may probably all be gone by 29. Personally I feel like its a bit uncharacteristic based on recent events for us to draft such a "non-sexy" position. It won't make a big splash in the headlines, but it would be a sound decision to invest in a guy with prototype size for a 3-4 DE. I'm just not all that impressed with the tape i've seen on him.
    Well said, and I agree 100% -- but I have serious doubts that he'll be available at 29.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never seen a guy miss so many tackles... just not a very good football player imo. Not even my Penn State fanatical friends are high on this guy...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i can't say i've seen odrick play at all. what i can say, is that the jets don't need to make any sexy picks this year. they've addressed many key needs thru recent drafts and with trades/free agency. what they need are several solid players who could potentially become playmakers. whether odrick is one of those guys, or aluaha, carrington, mccourtney, damien williams, tate, hughes, etc., i don't know. i know that if the jets can find, say, 3 B+ players in this draft it will really help the team, both now and in the future.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be fine with an Odrick pick but I am unsure if he will give you any more production or upside than say an Alex Carrington who may be available at the end of round two. He would be a safe pick though as I don't think he will be a bust but also will never be a Pro Bowl type of player.

As for the rotation, I don't buy that Odrick would be on the bench behind guys like Pituita, Kroul, etc. He would replace Douglas and get on the field early but a guy like DeVito would still get a lot of time as well. He would be in the rotation early.

We might be lucky if Odrick is still on the board at 29. Should be a solid end for years to come.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odrick is my top choice right now.

I think he would immediately come in and split time with DeVito. Anyone who thinks Pito or Kroul or somebody would get more playing time than Odrick is batsh*t crazy. He would immediately become our 3rd/4th DL.

I don't think he'll ever be Seymour/Ngata at the position, but I could see him turning into a Luis Castillo/Ty Warren kind of player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch this entire Odrick vs. Michigan highlight and tell me you want him at 29?

at 1:00, the RB folds him...
    at 1:23, the RB seals him...
    at 3:00, with an open shot at the QB in the end zone... he gets faked out of his jock... nice, reminds me of Gholston there!

All around, the guy looks slow and a step late, robotic... this is college guys, not the pro's.

There's many more painful moments if you watch the entire clip... pancaked a few times + hardly makes any impact plays...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6YudeVoml8
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 04-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Odrick is my top choice right now.

I think he would immediately come in and split time with DeVito. Anyone who thinks Pito or Kroul or somebody would get more playing time than Odrick is batsh*t crazy. He would immediately become our 3rd/4th DL.

I don't think he'll ever be Seymour/Ngata at the position, but I could see him turning into a Luis Castillo/Ty Warren kind of player.

Agree. Everybody is not going to be an All Pro. He is a solid pick and a consensus first rounder.
    He may be there at 29? If not fill the next need with OLB Kindle or Hughes and come back in the second with a Houston or Carrington for DE.

The Jets need help more against the run by the way. Their pass defense was superb. That sounds like DE and OLB early in the draft.

This guy could start. Pito. NO. Wright. NO. Devito. Maybe, or not. At worst Odrick is a #3 DE and a starter next year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Well said, and I agree 100% -- but I have serious doubts that he'll be available at 29.
    Really? Personally I feel like he's the most likely of all the guys we talk about regularly on this board to be around at 29. I dont feel like he's a first round talent but in Rex I Trust. If we do go defense in round 1 I have no doubt rex and the staff did a thorough evaluation and feel like they have a strong idea of how they can utilize him. That said Id still rather go for someone like tate in rd 1 than sapp in rd 2. maybe even trade up for hughes who I would love to see in a Jets jersey just not as the 29th pick. Dont feel like hes a first round talent.

Am I the only one that feels like Vernon still may show something this year. He may not be the pass rusher we expected him to be but he did show the ability to hold his ground against multiple blockers. I just feel like we as a fan base were being overly critical when he didn't get too much playing time outside of the calvin pace suspension period.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Never seen a guy miss so many tackles... just not a very good football player imo. Not even my Penn State fanatical friends are high on this guy...
    +1 he's got special skills but he doesn't play special all the time. If the Jets draft Odrick he's 5th or more likely 6th DL in 2010 and has a negligible impact. Might be a better fit as a 3-tech in a 4-3.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    This guy could start. Pito. NO. Wright. NO. Devito. Maybe, or not. At worst Odrick is a #3 DE and a starter next year.
    i know i sound like a broken record... but yall are sleeping on PItoitua. He's 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Odrick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odrick is going to be a bad player imo... Dude just has so little strength in holding up the point against the run. Pass rushing he shows more interest and ability, but that isn't enough imo. Strength isn't there and I don't think he'll be a good player. Just take a moment and watch the first quarter against Iowa and you won't bother even considering Odrick draftable, let alone a first rounder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i know i sound like a broken record... but yall are sleeping on PItoitua. He's 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Odrick.
    I like Pitoitua (and the fact that Pettine goes out of his way to mention him) but he's not that much heavier than Odrick. Very similar weight actually, but really a 10 lb difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I like Pitoitua (and the fact that Pettine goes out of his way to mention him) but he's not that much heavier than Odrick. Very similar weight actually, but really a 10 lb difference.
    that was a typo i meant to type 20 not 30... still he's bigger, stronger and cheaper, was what i was trying to say... and he even has a little seasoning on the league's best defense.

It's gonna be hard for any rookie DL to play on this defense, unless it's Suh.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    doesn't seem like a Tanny type pick to me

I still think we're gonna move up for a top 15 talent

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that was a typo i meant to type 20 not 30... still he's bigger, stronger and cheaper, was what i was trying to say... and he even has a little seasoning on the league's best defense.

It's gonna be hard for any rookie DL to play on this defense, unless it's Suh.
    Agree. I like Pito as well. My goal however is that we need to add someone to replace Howard Green or Douglas. Just need more talent over Green and Douglas could very well end up back, but we could also go with a better player there.

And yes, DL's tend to take a while before they actually make an impact. However, I think that McCoy is the one who will have a bigger impact early. McCoy has better strenght right now while Suh relied on using his hands in a better way, along with technique. I don't think Suh will get away with that early in the pros while McCoy is still going to have that unbelievable strength that he has.

Also think Dan Williams could produce in the NFL in year one. Had great coaching last year under Monte and played a lot of downs as well.

I still predict Odrick to be a bad NFL player though so I really hope we don't pick him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 he's got special skills but he doesn't play special all the time. If the Jets draft Odrick he's 5th or more likely 6th DL in 2010 and has a negligible impact. Might be a better fit as a 3-tech in a 4-3.
    OMG dude.

You either hate Odrick as a prospect or are blindly in love with our DL depth. Maybe it's a combination of both.

There's no way in hell Odrick would be our 6th DL. He'd split time with DeVito at RE. So basically he would be our 3rd/4th DL.

Who are the 5 other guys you would have ahead of Odrick if we drafted him? Jenkins, Ellis, maybe Devito...and who else? Pito is active for 8 games last year, does absolutely nothing of significance, yet you think he's ready for a borderline starting gig?

Please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Who are the 5 other guys you would have ahead of Odrick if we drafted him? Jenkins, Ellis, maybe Devito...and who else?
    Pouha

they will get the best players on the field, regardless of so called position. Right now the Jets best DL is Pouha/Jenkins/Ellis. Devito rotates. PIto and Odrick fight it out for 5th DL.

DL's not a good first round pick for the present. It's a good pick years from now... when Jenks, Pouha and Ellis are gone... that I agree with... but for the present a WR or CB plays more than a DL.