Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if the Jets drafted: Jared Odrick?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    OMG dude.

You either hate Odrick as a prospect or are blindly in love with our DL depth. Maybe it's a combination of both.

There's no way in hell Odrick would be our 6th DL. He'd split time with DeVito at RE. So basically he would be our 3rd/4th DL.

Who are the 5 other guys you would have ahead of Odrick if we drafted him? Jenkins, Ellis, maybe Devito...and who else? Pito is active for 8 games last year, does absolutely nothing of significance, yet you think he's ready for a borderline starting gig?

Please.
    I don't know how some of you guys make these assumptions. These guys in the draft all don't end up good, but reading these sometimes and it seems like people truly believe that.

Odrick can't hold up against the run better than any of the people we currently have with the exception of Howard Green, and Green plays a very different position.

Please don't draft Odrick... And with how Clinkscales and Bradway have been doing things, they won't draft him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Pouha

they will get the best players on the field, regardless of so called position. Right now the Jets best DL is Pouha/Jenkins/Ellis. Devito rotates. PIto and Odrick fight it out for 5th DL.

DL's not a good first round pick for the present. It's a good pick years from now... when Jenks, Pouha and Ellis are gone... that I agree with... but for the present a WR or CB plays more than a DL.
    Pouha is stictly a NT.

Odrick would most likely split time with DeVito. He may even get the slight edge in snaps.

No way in hell Pito would get more work than Odrick. Again, Pito was active for only half our games last year and he was barely noticeable. How you think he's so much better than Odrick, who is universally considered a 1st round pick in one of the deepest drafts in decades, is beyond me.

And again, you're making it sound like we shouldn't draft a DL until Jenkins and Ellis totally break down and are on their way out. That makes zero sense to me. This team is built around the trenches on both sides of the ball. You're telling me that we should neglect the defensive line until it becomes an absolute dire need?

Really?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha is stictly a NT.

Odrick would most likely split time with DeVito. He may even get the slight edge in snaps.

No way in hell Pito would get more work than Odrick. Again, Pito was active for only half our games last year and he was barely noticeable. How you think he's so much better than Odrick, who is universally considered a 1st round pick in one of the deepest drafts in decades, is beyond me.

And again, you're making it sound like we shouldn't draft a DL until Jenkins and Ellis totally break down and are on their way out. That makes zero sense to me. This team is built around the trenches on both sides of the ball. You're telling me that we should neglect the defensive line until it becomes an absolute dire need?

Really?
    lol at that comment.

Anyway, Odrick will not be a good pro in the NFL so there is no point in discussing it anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Odrick will be a decent pro, but I'm just not convinced he's substancially better then some of his round 2 counterparts. I'd rather target a Tyson Alualu, Alex Carrington, or Corey Wootton in Round 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I think Odrick will be a decent pro, but I'm just not convinced he's substancially better then some of his round 2 counterparts. I'd rather target a Tyson Alualu, Alex Carrington, or Corey Wootton in Round 2.
    Well I agree with that. I'd definitely rather have Alualu. Carrington I could be convinced about although he's more of a different player and I hate Wootton.

Just still don't think Odrick will even be decent at the NFL level.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    lol at that comment.

Anyway, Odrick will not be a good pro in the NFL so there is no point in discussing it anyway.
    It's true. He says we shouldn't worry about the DL until Jenkins, Ellis, and Pouha are gone. That's batsh*t crazy and a sure fire way to f*ck up everything we're building on defense.

As for Odrick not being a good pro, that's your opinion. I personally don't think Golden Tate or Demaryius Thomas will be anything to write home about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odrick will be off the board by the time we draft, he could go as early as #7 to the Browns from what I heard. Teams look at him as a Richard Seymour type player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I don't know how some of you guys make these assumptions. These guys in the draft all don't end up good, but reading these sometimes and it seems like people truly believe that.

Odrick can't hold up against the run better than any of the people we currently have with the exception of Howard Green, and Green plays a very different position.

Please don't draft Odrick... And with how Clinkscales and Bradway have been doing things, they won't draft him.
    I am inclined to agree with this...

The more tape i watch of Odrick the more i don't like this pick...

The tape of the Michigan game really turned me off from the guy...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Watch this entire Odrick vs. Michigan highlight and tell me you want him at 29?

at 1:00, the RB folds him...
    at 1:23, the RB seals him...
    at 3:00, with an open shot at the QB in the end zone... he gets faked out of his jock... nice, reminds me of Gholston there!

All around, the guy looks slow and a step late, robotic... this is college guys, not the pro's.

There's many more painful moments if you watch the entire clip... pancaked a few times + hardly makes any impact plays...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6YudeVoml8
    That's depressing.

Like UT, I'm only hoping for a Luis Castillo/Ty Warren kind of player. Is Odrick that? I don't know.

I'd certainly not be pissed at the selection. The Jets have met with him so there is obviously some interest. I'll just have to reserve judgment.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know i sound like a broken record... but yall are sleeping on PItoitua. He's 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Odrick.
    And way less of an athlete...and this is from a non-fan of Odrick....I do feel bad for ruining his rep here because he's not as bad as I painted him as. He's big, he's athletic, he's fairly stout, he uses his hands, he remains active, he plays the run well, and he is capable of collapsing the pocket for some pressure. My whole reason for not liking him fell on him being from Penn. St. and the fact that I was on him so early in the draft process that he kind of got tossed to the side.

Also, no one is sleeping on Pito. If he did something to impress anyone besides be big and exist, then I guess you could say that.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Same thing...how would we use him? How often would he play? Would he beat out DeVito and rotate? Would the pick be worthwhile? Where is he in 5 years?
    I would jump for joy if odrick fell to the jets. he fits very well at d.e. in ryans defensive scheme.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we should be looking for more of a offisive play maker. Id like to see Tate at 29

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha is stictly a NT.
    even if that were true Jenks can play any position.

as for "waiting for the need to become dire"

that's exactly what they've done with the WR position.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How you think he's so much better than Odrick, who is universally considered a 1st round pick in one of the deepest drafts in decades, is beyond me.
    people misjudge defensive linemen all the time. I've seen Odrick up close. He's not real deal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    even if that were true Jenks can play any position.

as for "waiting for the need to become dire"

that's exactly what they've done with the WR position.
    It is true. Pouha isn't agile enough to play end. He's just a solid big body at the nose.

I really don't follow with your receiver logic. It's not a dire need. Again, for the millionth time, our starting receivers are already established. No one we draft is unseating Braylon or Cotchery anytime soon. We could draft freakin' Dez Bryant and he still wouldn't start anytime in the near future.

I really don't see the use in spending a 1st on a wideout. The guy we draft in the 1st round would be asked to do the same thing that a guy we draft in the 4th round would be asked to do. Play the slot. Catch 35-40 passes a season and work the middle of the field. That's it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    people misjudge defensive linemen all the time. I've seen Odrick up close. He's not real deal.
    So you say people misjudge DL's all the time, then go on to tell me that you're sure he isn't the real deal?

It seems the only negatives people are pointing out about Odrick is that he's from Penn State and has a few youtube lowlights.

I'm no expert on the guy, but I've seen him play a few times, and he was the guy along Penn State's DL that always stood out. Mayock, who's word I trust more than anyone's, has him rated as the 4th best DE in the deepest draft in decades. The guy also has the size and skillset to flourish as a 3-4 DE, especially in Rex's 3-4 where the DE's are asked to push the pocket and not just simply hold their gaps every play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you say people misjudge DL's all the time, then go on to tell me that you're sure he isn't the real deal?

It seems the only negatives people are pointing out about Odrick is that he's from Penn State and has a few youtube lowlights.

I'm no expert on the guy, but I've seen him play a few times, and he was the guy along Penn State's DL that always stood out. Mayock, who's word I trust more than anyone's, has him rated as the 4th best DE in the deepest draft in decades. The guy also has the size and skillset to flourish as a 3-4 DE, especially in Rex's 3-4 where the DE's are asked to push the pocket and not just simply hold their gaps every play.
    LOL. I've been describing the negatives for days now.

Do yourself a favor, go and find the Penn State vs Iowa game and just watch the first quarter. At times you will flat out LOL while watching him get shoved aside by the Iowa linemen. And Baluga didn't even play that day. He was working primarily against guards and tackles and it was truly laughable. Every now and then he shows some competence when trying to pass rush, but that is as far as it goes.

He does not have the skillset to flourish and you need to stop watching youtube highlights because they can give you a very wrong idea on a player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's tape in some of that same Iowa game where Odrick did some really nice things too. Such is football...not sure what it means, but he's got to be carrying a late first-early 2nd talk for a reason. Probably the size/workout numbers combined with a solid reputation in college.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SantanaMoss83 View Post
    Really? Personally I feel like he's the most likely of all the guys we talk about regularly on this board to be around at 29. I dont feel like he's a first round talent but in Rex I Trust. If we do go defense in round 1 I have no doubt rex and the staff did a thorough evaluation and feel like they have a strong idea of how they can utilize him. That said Id still rather go for someone like tate in rd 1 than sapp in rd 2. maybe even trade up for hughes who I would love to see in a Jets jersey just not as the 29th pick. Dont feel like hes a first round talent.

Am I the only one that feels like Vernon still may show something this year. He may not be the pass rusher we expected him to be but he did show the ability to hold his ground against multiple blockers. I just feel like we as a fan base were being overly critical when he didn't get too much playing time outside of the calvin pace suspension period.
    I agree with you that V-Ghol will show significant progress this year. Also our draft strategy will certainly change seeing as #3 Wr is no longer a need with the signing of Santonio Holmes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    There's tape in some of that same Iowa game where Odrick did some really nice things too. Such is football...not sure what it means, but he's got to be carrying a late first-early 2nd talk for a reason. Probably the size/workout numbers combined with a solid reputation in college.
    Which is actually why you sit and watch the entire game. Anyone can have the occasional play where something goes decent. I'm guessing by his production in the game, that it didn't happen much.

I just don't see how a player who comically gets knocked off the ball on so many plays at the college level is going to be a good NFL player. It has neve rhappened in the past and I don't see it happening with him.