Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets Looking to Become Major Buyers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Looking to Become Major Buyers.

[QUOTE]With trade and even some restricted free-agent chatter expected to pick up in the coming weeks, the Redskins appear to be the sellers. Conversely, the three personnel sources said they believed the New York Jets may end up being amongst the [B]most active “buyers”[/B], whether via trade or by way of attempting to sign a restricted free agent or two.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-availableplayers040910[/url]

So.... Who are we looking at? Sharper? Nnamdi? Albert? Marshall?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't Nnamdi, and it probably isn't Marshall. But Haynesworth and Sharper would make perfect sense, even with Haynesworth's price tag.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3553582]It isn't Nnamdi, and it probably isn't Marshall. But Haynesworth and Sharper would make perfect sense, even with Haynesworth's price tag.[/QUOTE]

what... how so? the whole reason Haynesworth wants out of WSH is cause they're going 3-4.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I don't think Haynesworth would fit here with his 3-4 hatin going on.
    But it would be AWESOME if we got Sharper! And you know he wants to play for Rex!
    Talk about an upgrade... Sharper blows away Carrie Rhodes!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1:52 - 2:18 is GLORIOUS!
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAPqxZLhtF0[/url]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3553582]It isn't Nnamdi, and it probably isn't Marshall. But Haynesworth and Sharper would make perfect sense, [B]even with Haynesworth's price tag.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Relative to football, 3yrs $16 mill is quite affordable. :yes:

But I'd rather draft a kid than have a malcontent, albeit, a beast of a player, in a position/defense he doesn't want to play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3553585]what... how so? the whole reason Haynesworth wants out of WSH is cause they're going 3-4.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Haynesworth went to Washington in the first place because they played a 4-3 (the $100 million dollar contract didn't hurt either) but now they're switching over to a 3-4 he wants out.

Rex is diffrent than most Defensive Coaches though as instead of making players fit into his system he makes his system fit to accomidate the players strengths. So I guess you can never say never when it comes to Haynesworth (or really any D player for that matter).

When it comes to Haynesworth I think more of a problem then what defense he plays in is his questionable effort and desire to be a great, dominant player on every down, every play and every game. It seems his main goal in the NFL was to hit the jackpot with a huge deal. There's nothing wrong with getting every penny you believe your worth and a teams willing to pay, but once you get paid then don't play with the same determination and passion that's a big problem and should be a red flag as to signing someone like that to your team IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3553585]what... how so? the whole reason Haynesworth wants out of WSH is cause they're going 3-4.[/QUOTE]

Haynesworth wants out because they have him at the Nose, we would have him in the 5 technique (end) where he could make plays rather than constantly absorbing 2 and 3 blockers. Much different.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3553634]Haynesworth wants out because they have him at the Nose, we would have him in the 5 technique (end) where he could make plays rather than constantly absorbing 2 and 3 blockers. Much different.[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting point.

I don't buy the fact that he's going anywhere after Washington just paid his bonus though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really wouldn't shock me if the Jets make a couple of trades prior to the draft, or even during the draft. Tanny has always been extremely active in the trade market and on the draft boards so it would shock me more if our FO did nothing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of the above mentioned names, Haynesworth makes the most sense. Unless Jason Taylor decides not to sign and we lure in Sharper with that $1.5 mill instead.

Don't see us going after Asomugha and PLEASE GOD don't let us pursue Marshall.

One guy I would absolutely love to have is Elvis Dumerville. Now that's a guy I wouldn't mind giving up our 1st rounder to get.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3553643]This is an interesting point.

I don't buy the fact that he's going anywhere after Washington just paid his bonus though.[/QUOTE]

Washington and the Raiders make moves like this. Sign guys to big deals and cut them after paying big bonus money. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. He's on the market.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The term Major Buyer scares me a lot. Two biggest buyers in NFL history were Minn. (Walker) and N.O. (Williams). Be carefull what you ask for.:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    the buying part also will refer to the Jets potentially trading up on draft day if the roster remains the same until the 22nd

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3553634]Haynesworth wants out because they have him at the Nose, we would have him in the 5 technique (end) where he could make plays rather than constantly absorbing 2 and 3 blockers. Much different.[/QUOTE]
    Yup and he'd also be playing along side Jenkins who will be drawing as much attention freeing him up to wreak havoc...

There was a rumor started by ESPN yesterday that Haynesworth would play for the Jets and he is very affordable at $16.2 million over the next 3 years...They say a 2nd rounder could get it done, the problem is Detroit would be interested...So we'd be giving up more than just a 2nd...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Having to block both Haynesworth and Jenkins must be an o-line coaches' worst nightmare. We'd have the best 3-4 D-line in the league. If there is a way to work the financial numbers then do it.

I'd be shocked if we got Asomugha right after we just got Cromartie.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we're going to be major buyers... why haven't we cut Gholston yet?

That would free up a lot of money to sign the players we already have and possibly for other players not yet on the roster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3553683]the buying part also will refer to the Jets potentially trading up on draft day if the roster remains the same until the 22nd[/QUOTE]

The problem is the Jets don't have the ammo to do anything significant this year from where they are at 29. To move anywhere past the late teens they will have to include their 1st from next year (which is a real possibility) but even then that draft pick projects to be a late 1st rounder. To make a big splash and move up really high they'll have to be including players as well I imagine.

I wonder which of our really good core players the Jets will be willing to trade?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [I]MAKE IT HAPPEN TANNY!! [/I] :rockon:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3553672]Out of the above mentioned names, Haynesworth makes the most sense. Unless Jason Taylor decides not to sign and [B]we lure in Sharper with that $1.5 mill instead[/B].

Don't see us going after Asomugha and PLEASE GOD don't let us pursue Marshall.

One guy I would absolutely love to have is Elvis Dumerville. Now that's a guy I wouldn't mind giving up our 1st rounder to get.[/QUOTE]

Not a chance in Hell.

I heard Sharper say he would be interested in playing for the Jets but laughed at the chance of signing a contract for $1.5 million. The reason hes not a Saint right now is because of money, and he was offered alot more than $1.5 mil I recal.

Theres a possibility we still get Sharper, but after our FA Restriction is over. I like how he would fit in with our defense and what he would bring to this team.