Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're going DL or CB at #29

Jets Insider VIP

We're going DL or CB at #29

This is the feeling I'm getting as we near the draft.

Tanny and Rex traded up twice last year to add to the central core on offense (Sanchez and Greene). Six months later we traded a 3rd and a 5th along with Trusnik and Stuckey to obtain our #1 receiver, who despite dropping an easy one here and there, is one of the more physically gifted receivers in the game.

All indications are that we'll draft heavy on defense. Rex loves DL's and DB's and both play a pivotal role in his defense.

Where we're set to draft at #29, you could argue that those two positions will have the most value. At least someone from the Odrick, Cody, McCourty, Jackson group will be on the board.

I still think we'll add a receiver between rounds 2-4. Someone like McCluster in the 2nd or Shipley in the 3rd/4th.

If we stay put in the 1st, I really expect someone like Odrick or McCourty to be on the card.

I hope so. I'd really like to come away with Dominique Franks in the real life draft. If somehow we could go Cody/Franks I think I'd sh*t myself in joy. I don't do that often so that's like a treat.

That said, you ignore how badly our offense needs a 3rd WR. Without a 3rd WRing stud then our offense is pretty incomplete, and we all know the targets make the QB/offense and not the QB making the offense go. Look at the Patriots...Brady puts up mere mortal stats without Moss and Welker, and then throws up one of the best QB seasons of all time with them. We need to get Sanchez a Moss or a Welker in the #3 hole to make 2010 one of the best QB'd season ever. If we do that then there's a good chance Sanchez sets records that he'll have to and probably will break in the future. A #3 WR could be offense changing.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-11-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Tanny and Rex traded up twice last year to add to the central core on offense (Sanchez and Greene). Six months later we traded a 3rd and a 5th along with Trusnik and Stuckey to obtain our #1 receiver, who despite dropping an easy one here and there, is one of the more physically gifted receivers in the game.

All indications are that we'll draft heavy on defense. Rex loves DL's and DB's and both play a pivotal role in his defense.

Where we're set to draft at #29, you could argue that those two positions will have the most value. At least someone from the Odrick, Cody, McCourty, Jackson group will be on the board.

I still think we'll add a receiver between rounds 2-4. Someone like McCluster in the 2nd or Shipley in the 3rd/4th.

If we stay put in the 1st, I really expect someone like Odrick or McCourty to be on the card.
    I think it is VERY possible we draft offense in the first round. I think that 2 thinfs point to this:

1. The Jets staff has admitted in interviews several times that they needed more offense to win in the 2nd half against Indy

2. I think the best values at that point will be offensive skill players

OK 3> We have been successfull at getting very good UFA on defense and Ryan can coach any non-Hollywood type to get their best

I expect both Odrick and McCourty to be gone by 29. McCourty could go anywhere from 18-24 easily.

I expect a CB run... and probably so did the Jets, which is why they went for Cro via trade. the CBs available at 29 will be of the Chris Cook variety... JMO.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I hope so. I'd really like to come away with Dominique Franks in the real life draft. If somehow we could go Cody/Franks I think I'd sh*t myself in joy. I don't do that often so that's like a treat.

That said, you ignore how badly our offense needs a 3rd WR. Without a 3rd WRing stud then our offense is pretty incomplete, and we all know the targets make the QB/offense and not the QB making the offense go. Look at the Patriots...Brady puts up mere mortal stats without Moss and Welker, and then throws up one of the best QB seasons of all time with them. We need to get Sanchez a Moss or a Welker in the #3 hole to make 2010 one of the best QB'd season ever. If we do that then there's a good chance Sanchez sets records that he'll have to and probably will break in the future. A #3 WR could be offense changing.
    Sarcasm? lol

Funny you mention those guys because I think each of those players will be bad in the NFL.

I really hope we don't get any of them. McCourty had his chance during the senior bowl and the senior bowl practices and by all accounts, guys like Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox were far better than him. Even Patrick Robinson was better. Patrick and WIlson won't likely be there when we pick, but there is a good chance that Cox is there when we are up in the 2nd.

Odrick is just so weak at the point against the run that I have no interest in him.

I'm holding out hope that one of these guys fall:

Bey Bey
    Brandon Graham
    Kyle Wilson
    Dan Williams (my most hopeful but I don't see it happening)
    Jerry Hughes
    Taylor Mays

If none of them are there, give me Golden Tate or Brian Price who should both be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I expect both Odrick and McCourty to be gone by 29. McCourty could go anywhere from 18-24 easily.

I expect a CB run... and probably so did the Jets, which is why they went for Cro via trade. the CBs available at 29 will be of the Chris Cook variety... JMO.
    I'd be pretty surprised if McCourty is gone by then (18-24).

Haden and probably Kyle Wilson should be ahead of him. Lots of teams need o-lineman. Probably at least 2 QBs. One safety, perhaps 2. Then you fill it out with top prospects from other positions.

(Edit: And in my opinion there might very well be one if not 2 more CBs' ahead of Mccourty other than the ones I listed.)

Jets Insider VIP
    The need for a 3rd wr is very overated. We have 2 borderline pro bowl recievers and a reciecing tight end. I mean, u cant have pro bowlers at every position. Id say outside pass rushing linebacker is our #1 need and defensive end is #2. Safety would be #3. Pick up lavernues coles to fill out tue recieving core.

3rd wr should not be addressed in this draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think it is VERY possible we draft offense in the first round. I think that 2 thinfs point to this:

1. The Jets staff has admitted in interviews several times that they needed more offense to win in the 2nd half against Indy

2. I think the best values at that point will be offensive skill players

OK 3> We have been successfull at getting very good UFA on defense and Ryan can coach any non-Hollywood type to get their best

1. More offense will come as Sanchez matures into a franchise QB. I have no problem drafting a receiver. I just don't really want one in the 1st round. Not when our starting receivers are already established and we're simply looking for a slot guy.

2. Disagree bigtime there. Unless you think someone like Golden Tate is more valuable than a potentially dominant NT like Cody, a stout 3-4 end like Odrick, or a guy who could step in immediately as an effective nickelback and potentially start down the road like Devin McCourty/Kareem Jackson.

3. I assume you meant UDFA? If so, who? DeVito is the only guy I can think of, maybe Ihedigbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if McCourty is gone by then (18-24).

Haden and probably Kyle Wilson should be ahead of him. Lots of teams need o-lineman. Probably at least 2 QBs. One safety, perhaps 2. Then you fill it out with top prospects from other positions.
    jac, mia, nyg, ten, pit and houston have CB needs. the eagles trade of sheldon brown creates more demand for CB than there was a month ago. haden, thomas, wilson are probably gone by 20. Mccourty ran a legit 4.3 time at pro day he won't go too far after that.

meanwhile if Buf passes, Clausen could have a fall like Brady Quinn. I expect far more likely Taylor Mays is on the board than devin McCourty.

jac, mia, nyg, ten, pit and houston have CB needs. the eagles trade of sheldon brown creates more demand for CB than there was a month ago. haden, thomas, wilson are probably gone by 20. Mccourty ran a legit 4.3 time at pro day he won't go too far after that.

meanwhile if Buf passes, Clausen could have a fall like Brady Quinn. I expect far more likely Taylor Mays is on the board than devin McCourty.
    After the way all of the analysts were raving about Clausen after his workout I think he will be gone. Cleveland or even KC. I agree about Mays he will slide for sure if you ask me.

Let's try and look at players we feel should be gone top 20 or so.

Suh - DT
    McCoy - DT
    Dan Williams - DT
    Berry - S
    Thomas - S
    Morgan - DE
    Pierre-Paul - DE
    McClain - ILB
    Haden - CB
    Wilson - CB
    Bryant - WR
    Spiller - RB
    Bradford - QB
    Clausen - QB
    Okung - OT
    T. Williams - OT
    Bulaga - OT

Then we have a group of other o-lineman of which at least a 2 or 3 could go:

Pouncey
    Iupati
    Campbell
    Charles Brown
    Anthonmy Davis

We haven't even mentioned any of the rush olbs like Kindle or Graham.

McCourty ran a high 4.3 at his pro day but his hips are still bleh and he could definitely fall.

To be honest, he should fall, but we'll see if he does. I really hope he doesn't end up with the Jets.

He had his chance to cover receivers during the senior bowl practices and it was clear that a number of guys could do it better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    After the way all of the analysts were raving about Clausen after his workout I think he will be gone. Cleveland or even KC. I agree about Mays he will slide for sure if you ask me.

Let's try and look at players we feel should be gone top 20 or so.

Suh - DT
    McCoy - DT
    Dan Williams - DT
    Berry - S
    Thomas - S
    Morgan - DE
    Pierre-Paul - DE
    McClain - ILB
    Haden - CB
    Wilson - CB
    Bryant - WR
    Spiller - RB
    Bradford - QB
    Clausen - QB
    Okung - OT
    T. Williams - OT
    Bulaga - OT

Then we have a group of other o-lineman of which at least a 2 or 3 could go:

Pouncey
    Iupati
    Campbell
    Charles Brown
    Anthonmy Davis

We haven't even mentioned any of the rush olbs like Kindle or Graham.
    ok so 17 names in the first group plus 5 in the second plus 2 in Kindle and Graham that gets us to 24.

29 is pretty far down the board.

Ryan Mathews going to Hou or SD is pretty key to the Jets chances.

I think the Bruce Campbell thing is wishful thinking. Al is not dumb he will take Iupati before Bruce Campbell.

Anthony Davis could fall he's a slob. But Al would take a guy named "A davis" before Bruce Campbell.

but lets assume Campbell and Davis goes, Odrick and McCourty have to be on that list, gets us to 27. I'd throw Sean Weatherspoon in there too... he's pretty nasty. 28.

ok who'se left? in this scenario..

Taylor Mays... CB like Jackson or Robinson. a WR like Golden Tate or Williams. Terrence Cody.

If the Jets want to trade up it would make this conversation more viable... but assuming they sit and wait at 29 because they lack the ammo to trade up... they need to play a value pick.

Maybe a wild card like Tebow... causes them to trade down. I know they usually trade up and never trade down... but Tebow is the type who could get a deal going... Carolina or Jacksonville could move back into the round, would not be surprising. the Jets can go WR/OLB in round 2 with guys like Cody, Hughes or Williams that might otherwise be considered reaches at 29. I know I usually say trade downs are impossible but the Jets actually have a window this year...
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-11-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Some o-lineman are going to get over drafted if you ask me because as the top ones go off the board some teams are going to get desperate. Teams like Green Bay, Dallas and Indy in the later part of round one might have to reach at o-lineman. There are other guys that could surprise as well such as Saffold.

In the end no matter which way things go the Jets are probably going to get their pick of a very good player in any of a number of positions. I honestly hope we either stay put or draft down this year. It's just going to take too much to get up high in this draft and there are too many good players and great depth in this draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Dude, in your world, 40 dudes will be gone by 29....lol

Starting to warm up to Thomas at WR

All Pro
    i think the safest guarantee heading into this draft is that we will not be picking a player at 29. could trade up, but i doubt it. or could trade the pick for a player or to move down, which i think is very possible. keep in mind, the first day is the first round only. and if tebow is still around, some team (like jacksonville) might want to trade up to grab him and not give the other teams all night to come up with a package to trade with the rams to grab tebow at the top of the 2nd round.

Rookie
    I want Jerry Hughes!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I don't know where we are going, but I know we need more help on O than D.

I have a feeling about Dan Williams. Would very likely have to trade up -considerably. . . or not... we'll see, but I really like the player and welcome such an addition/injection to our D line for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNY JOHNSON View Post
    I have a feeling about Dan Williams. Would very likely have to trade up -considerably. . . or not... we'll see, but I really like the player and welcome such an addition/injection to our D line for years to come.
    Dan Williams is exactly what we need. Very similar to Kelly Gregg, just bigger and more talented.

He is extremely active, stout on the point of attack, good mobility to get up and down the line of scrimmage. Would fit perfect on the nose. Would also complement Kris Jenkins perfectly.

If Dan falls into the 20s, I would definitely consider trading up and getting him. This dude is a guarantee to be a good player in the NFL. Only thing that could ever hold him back is injury.