Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets need a replacement for:

Jets need a replacement for:

Alan Fanaca
    Guys on his last legs & he is the one player on our line that might get Sanchez killed.
    4 round should be a stud guard.

he's 33 not 53. whatever he lacks in pass blocking he makes up for in run blocking

That's why I think Our 1st round pick will be Maukrice Pauncey if he's there.Will start at one guard spot in one year,and would be great insurance as backup to Mangold.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    That's why I think Our 1st round pick will be Maukrice Pauncey if he's there.Will start at one guard spot in one year,and would be great insurance as backup to Mangold.
    I think this would be by far this smartest pick we can make.....Pouncey is extremely talented, has great size for center, guard or even RT down the line, and has the athletic ability to excel in our zone-ish type blocking scheme.

We have been very fortunate with the health of our o-line....this guy solidifies both guard positions and center in case of an injury. I hope this is our guy!

they are talking about Pouncey to denver at 11... another team with worse OL needs take both him and Iupati long before 29.

i can see us taking Iupati if hes still around at 29
    kid will be a pro bowl guard and until faneca or woody's time with the jets is up he can play that wayne hunter role as that 10-15 snaps a game extra lineman type

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he's 33 not 53. whatever he lacks in pass blocking he makes up for in run blocking
    I've seen enough of guys swimming by Fanaca into the backfield on passing downs. He gets pushed back a lot. I'm not saying he needs to be replaced this year, I'm saying we need a stud guard to take his place & for depth in case of injury.
    If the Jets got a player like Iupati or Pouncey, a small injury to fanaca & he'd never see the field again except as a backup.

the jets will not use a 1st rounder on the o-line this year. a guy like slauson can be groomed b/t brick and mangold, and that's smart economics.

actually, an interesting pick in the 2nd round is mccluster. if the jets dealt leon, mccluster would serve as both rb in a rotation as well as slot wr, and he could play these roles next year when braylon is gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Alan Fanaca
    Guys on his last legs & he is the one player on our line that might get Sanchez killed.
    4 round should be a stud guard.
    It's Faneca, and and it's a no brainer that he and Woody are at the end of their careers and will be replaced, however they are still solid linemen.

Veteran
    Faneca was awful in the 1st half of last season but he really improved ini the 2nd half. Having said that, I'm sure the Jets are going to look for a future replacement with one of their first 2 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    It's Faneca, and and it's a no brainer that he and Woody are at the end of their careers and will be replaced, however they are still solid linemen.
    Sorry, didn't realize the spelling police were policing.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Well it's not like his last name is jingleheimerscmidt, and if you are gonna call out a potential Hall of Famer, on your team, the least you can do is spell his name right...

Don't be disappointed by the fact that Puoncey will be long gone by the time we pick. I'm sure either McCoy, Suh or Berry will fall to 29.

Next trade to be made - our 6th&7th this year and our 7th next yr for Albert Haynesworth. Go Tanny!

Less sophisticated fans would be daunted by reality but not some of my fellow Jets fans!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Well it's not like his last name is jingleheimerscmidt, and if you are gonna call out a potential Hall of Famer, on your team, the least you can do is spell his name right...
    Schmidt
    Close though

I posted that the Jets will be looking guard in the "4th" round. They will be looking for a groomer.
    Slauson & a 4th this year will be good for depth- Callahans a great Oline teacher.

I want our 1st & 2nd round picks to be DEFENSE

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    they are talking about Pouncey to denver at 11... another team with worse OL needs take both him and Iupati long before 29.
    Dude, what did ggi hijack ur account?

Pouncey rocks, but 11! R u serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Dude, what did ggi hijack ur account?

Pouncey rocks, but 11! R u serious?
    the denver beat writer made that pick in the sam farmer mock draft... I didn't make it up... this is a team that took robert ayers at 18 so anything is possible.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...979,full.story

Pouncey seems like a Steelers likely pick anyway.

Honestly I wouldn't take Pouncey. Think he's going to be a good player, but it is too high to take a depth pick imo.

You can even get legitimate guards via FA if you had to. Keep taking shots on guys like Slauson in the later rounds and if it's not there, so be it.

And i like Iupati, just the fact that he was owned time and time again by Atkins at the Senior Bowl which scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Honestly I wouldn't take Pouncey. Think he's going to be a good player, but it is too high to take a depth pick imo.

You can even get legitimate guards via FA if you had to. Keep taking shots on guys like Slauson in the later rounds and if it's not there, so be it.

And i like Iupati, just the fact that he was owned time and time again by Atkins at the Senior Bowl which scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

The thing I always understood about zone blocking was the emphasis on agile OL that could specifically be had in mid rounds.

So I wold agree if that holds true that OL at 29 makes little sense.

Would we in fact devalue OL bc of our scheme? Or is our zone scheme different in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    The thing I always understood about zone blocking was the emphasis on agile OL that could specifically be had in mid rounds.

So I wold agree if that holds true that OL at 29 makes little sense.

Would we in fact devalue OL bc of our scheme? Or is our zone scheme different in some way?
    I think scheme definitely matters. People are just scared of having another situation that we had with Clarke playing LG. Don't blame them either because he was awful...

I don't think the mobility will become as important for our team as it did for the Broncos of the years past. WOody isn't the most mobile OL, as good as he is. He just did a good job and certainly is a hell of a run blocker.

We do have to pick some positions where we attempt to "cheap out" in a way. Guard for me is one of the few positions you can try to do that.

We can't just go getting first rounders at every position, although Tanny is making that seem possible.