Thread: biggest need that we NEED to address....

biggest need that we NEED to address....

Marques Douglas' starting DE spot
    at this point it doesnt look like douglas will be back as the jets are waiting for som1 to sign him away to help comply with the final 4 rule
    so this is the only position that we have a need in the starting rotation for
    how do you think this need gets filled???

um... resign marques douglas

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    If we haven't signed him at this point....doesn't look like we will
    and even if no1 bites on giving him a contract and we do resign him... Ellis is 32 and Douglas is 33
    this position has to be addressed
    its the only thing preventing me from guaranteeing a super bowl this year

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    We have a short term RB in LT, maybe short term DE,LB in Taylor. We now have 2 possible longer term players at WR, and CB. If we get JT, we have the luxury of going either way........RB or DT, 1st and 2nd round either way with best player available.

Jets need: DE - Odrick in 1 or Houston or Carrington in 2 (among others)
    OLB - Kindle or Hughes in 1 or Sapp in 2
    CB - A reserve guy in Rd 4
    I don't see any other needs to be addressed with a 6/7 pick. Maybe use those to move up a little in earlier rounds.

The Jets are now solid at every position with the above. They are not getting a backup OLman there (6/7). They have not been successful drafting OL there. The roster looks filled out, especially if Taylor comes on board. There are actually no slots to go around or room on the 53. Punter?? Weatherford is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    As much as I'd love for a starting DL with the average age of 32, I'd rather look for someone young who can learn from our two starters.

Please note by that I mean someone good...not Pito.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    As much as I'd love for a starting DL with the average age of 32, I'd rather look for someone young who can learn from our two starters.

JMO.

Jets will resign Douglas. Tanny will trade down into the 2nd. Tanny will then in the draft pick a DE, OLB pass rusher, S and CB...Remaining picks BPA possibly late round RB, WR, OL (developmental types)....

defensive linemen are not like running backs, they actually get better with age... especially if all you ask them to do is gap clog.

look around the league the list of guys who come in as rookies and play well at defensive tackle can be counted on 1 hand. its a developmental spot.

So if the Jets do take Cody... i'd love that pick... but that's a pick for the future... not really for the present. Cody could get 20 snaps in this defense... maybe.

Tyson Alualu is who I want now...

draft this beast!!!

defensive linemen are not like running backs, they actually get better with age... especially if all you ask them to do is gap clog.
    Yes, DL tends to age well compared to other positions.

No that doesn't mean we don't need more talent there.

look around the league the list of guys who come in as rookies and play well at defensive tackle can be counted on 1 hand. its a developmental spot.
    Look around the league and look at the 3-4 DL who made early impacts...Kendall Langford, Richard Seymour, Warren, Ngata, Wilfork, Ratilff, Spears, Olshansky, Castillo, Tyson Jackson.

So if the Jets do take Cody... i'd love that pick... but that's a pick for the future... not really for the present. Cody could get 20 snaps in this defense... maybe.
    On a 3 man DL? With two NTs in front him with lots of injury history AND a blackhole at the RDT spot? Yea, OK. 20 snaps a game maybe...OK probably more like 10-15 snaps a game but that's not a small amount at all. Thats got a range from 160-240 snaps...far more than a DE/OLB convert would see and way more than the stud first round WR that I think jah we're not even considering anymore (unless Bryant falls). Not that you're wrong in that it's a pick for the future, but if Cody were to be drafted by us AND he came in to play at 335-345 then he's seeing the field fairly often.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-12-2010 at 01:04 PM.

i think cody would be rotated in immediately and be more of a base package as his conditioning and strength improves. not only would it improve the run defense, it would prolong jenkins' career.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think cody would be rotated in immediately and be more of a base package as his conditioning and strength improves. not only would it improve the run defense, it would prolong jenkins' career.
    Exactly...as well as improve the pass rush...improve the secondary play...like someone said force teams to pass the ball more...this move is common sense to me.

Exactly...as well as improve the pass rush...improve the secondary play...like someone said force teams to pass the ball more...this move is common sense to me.
    i could easily see them going cody in 1, carrington in 2 and that's 2/3 of your new dline for a while. rotate the younger guys in, cut the dead wood from the roster (ie, douglass, gholston) and rex would have some serious size and depth to work with.

I want Brian Price.

Price reminds me of Warren Sapp on tape. Only reaosn he doesn't get more pub is because it is UCLA. THe guy is just tremendous. Unblockable and an unreal ability to penetrate. Plays completely behind the line of scrimmage which is very similar to Douglas' skills. He would fit in perfect, while also adding more bulk to that position. He also has the quickness to handle the spot fine.

I seriously doubt we get him, but the dude is going to be a very good player in the NFL. He's almost as big a guarantee for me as Dan Williams. If we don't get him, I hope he goes to an NFC team that we won't deal with much.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 04-12-2010 at 02:11 PM.

I wouldn't mind Price considering we have Jenkins and Price's game does compliment his. Still, I'm not sure how ready I am to buy Price as someone on a 3 man DL.