Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greens Vegetable Garden©

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Greens Vegetable Garden©

Got a little space on the side of my house that is about 2'X12' between the Central Air COmpressors and a fence. Pretty much gets full sun and decent drainage.

I know its not a big space. Any suggestions/hints/tips as to what should go there and why.

Btw Paisans...take it easy with the Italo-centric diatribes, this is not a sauce thread., but I expect your input anyway. I will be growing herbs separatedly elsewhere, so dont have an Italian heart attack.:D

Full disclosure; I havent so much as grown a tomato, so I am a beginner down to tilling the soil.

Begin with your information.

Jets Insider VIP
    PM Free. I'm sure he has some ideas. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3555330]Got a little space on the side of my house that is about 2'X12' between the Central Air COmpressors and a fence. Pretty much gets full sun and decent drainage.

I know its not a big space. Any suggestions/hints/tips as to what should go there and why.

Btw Paisans...take it easy with the Italo-centric diatribes, this is not a sauce thread., but I expect your input anyway. I will be growing herbs separatedly elsewhere, so dont have an Italian heart attack.:D

Full disclosure; I havent so much as grown a tomato, so I am a beginner down to tilling the soil.

Begin with your information.[/QUOTE]

Tomatoes are as easy as anything.

I also like red lettuce and soft green lettuce, but they are susceptible to slugs if it is a rainy summer. And nibbling critters.

I'd say go with a mix of small and large tomatoes. Keep them raised off the ground.

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3855884226_f207d77c4f.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3555334]PM Free. I'm sure he has some ideas. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking his ideas involve really high electric bills, surveillancee cameras and double locked basement doors.

:cool:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy;3555344]Tomatoes are as easy as anything.

I also like red lettuce and soft green lettuce, but they are susceptible to slugs if it is a rainy summer. And nibbling critters.

I'd say go with a mix of small and large tomatoes. Keep them raised off the ground.

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3855884226_f207d77c4f.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Tomatos for sure. I'll need those tomato scaffolding things.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

tomatos!

forget zuchini, you'd need more space, (unless of course you just want them for knee bends) :D

arugula maybe?...

no mint, it grows like a weed

I have an idea.

Why don't you grow a sack, Mary.

Anywhooo...I gave up years ago because I just can't seem to stop the local varmints from eating 3/4 of the crop.

How the hell do you stop them? I tried everything. :steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3555353]Tomatos for sure. I'll need those tomato scaffolding things.[/QUOTE]

Tomatoes take a long time to grow. We don't get any until mid July. It will be sooner for you though. I'd recommend getting at least one of the fastest growing plants-that will give you about a two week headstart for eating them.
    I believe one of them is called Early Girl. When you buy the plants, they will state how long they take to grow.

The best small tomato I ever grew was the "Sweet Olive" variety. Like olive shape -not taste. I couldn't find any last year, but I will this year.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2;3555367]I have an idea.

Anywhooo...I gave up years ago because I just can't seem to stop the local varmints from eating 3/4 of the crop.

How the hell do you stop them? I tried everything. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

We've been lucky and I don't know why since we have every critter you can imagine. The squirrels eat our peaches (a huge problem), but nothing eats our lettuce or tomatoes.

[/QUOTE]

zing!!!

:iwon: :iwon: :iwon:

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Tomato's will thrive there. Don't forget to pick off the "suckers".

If you can manage a fence to keep out the varmints, I would grow some salad greens like mche (lamb's lettuce), bibb lettuce, arugula, radicchio, and any other "greens" you might find in a mesclun salad. They grow fairly quickly, and are fun to cut and eat right away.

If you like herbs, basil, rosemary and sage are pretty easy to grow.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3555400]Tomato's will thrive there. Don't forget to pick off the [B]"suckers"[/B].[/QUOTE]

slugs?

I don't think I've ever seen one on tomatoes. Lettuce is a different story.

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3555400]Tomato's will thrive there. Don't forget to pick off the "suckers".[/QUOTE]

Welcome back. I thought of you when I selected this week's Hampur Hottie. You should go over for a quick perusal. I'm sure you will be pleased.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3555407]If you can manage a fence to keep out the varmints, I would grow some salad greens like mche (lamb's lettuce), bibb lettuce, arugula, radicchio, and any other "greens" you might find in a mesclun salad. They grow fairly quickly, and are fun to cut and eat right away.

If you like herbs, basil, rosemary and sage are pretty easy to grow.[/QUOTE]

I grew lettuce for the first time last year. It was easy, but after awhile the plants "spiked" and grew straight upwards, resulting in bitter taste. This year I'll start rotating them.

We had blight last year, as did much of the northeast due to rain, it was difficult. The question will be, are there still blight spores in the soil. We had early blight as opposed to late blight, so we might be ok.

[QUOTE=Timmy;3555418]I grew lettuce for the first time last year. It was easy, but after awhile the plants "spiked" and grew straight upwards, resulting in bitter taste. This year I'll start rotating them.

We had blight last year, as did much of the northeast due to rain, it was difficult. The question will be, are there still blight spores in the soil. We had early blight as opposed to late blight, so we might be ok.[/QUOTE]

My Dad grows lots of greens every year. He plants the "baby'' varieties and is very diligent about cutting them. Dad was spared the problems with blight on Staten Island, unless you're talking about visual blight. :D I hope you will have a great growing year, Timmy.

Bewildered Beast
    Nothing like beefsteak tomatoes and mozzarella. I would grow both.

And basil. Basil is good.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3555480]Nothing like beefsteak tomatoes and mozzarella.[B] I would grow both.[/B]

And basil. Basil is good.[/QUOTE]

My Dad has had limited success with his mozzarella bushes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

WWSHG

[SIZE=1]what would Santonio Holmes grow[/SIZE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[/QUOTE]

Completely unhelpful.

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3555400]Tomato's will thrive there. Don't forget to pick off the "suckers".[/QUOTE]

Welcome back sucker.:D

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3555407]If you can manage a fence to keep out the varmints, I would grow some salad greens like mche (lamb's lettuce), bibb lettuce, arugula, radicchio, and any other "greens" you might find in a mesclun salad. They grow fairly quickly, and are fun to cut and eat right away.

If you like herbs, basil, rosemary and sage are pretty easy to grow.[/QUOTE]

I thinkin some sort of a chicken wire fence/box type contraption rigging because I have squirrels, racoons, possums, cats.

But the more I think about it, the more I think I should just go to the supermarket.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3555480]Nothing like beefsteak tomatoes and mozzarella. I would grow both.

[/QUOTE]

I grew some Bordens cheese product slices in plastic last year. Tough chewin.