Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tanny's moves tell me who will be drafted at 29:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Pouha played pretty well after KJ went down no? Do we need to grab a NT in round #1? And I don't see Cody playing any end for us. Like someone said he is Ted Washington. I dont see Ted Washington playing DE.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    Pouha played pretty well after KJ went down no? Do we need to grab a NT in round #1? And I don't see Cody playing any end for us. Like someone said he is Ted Washington. I dont see Ted Washington playing DE.
    people forget that pouha took his mormon mission and is actually kinda old. He's 31... he was a very old rookie

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    People fail to see how much we use 4 down linemen anyway...

And I would absolutely grab a nose tackle in round 1, just a good nose tackle. Cody will suck as a pro. Hell, he wasn't even that good in college when you see the guy get tossed around as he did. Same thing in the senior bowl. Just watch the guy every play and it's obvious.

You even have a great comparison with Dan Williams playing next to him. Dan does everything you want throughout the game, and Cody gets owned throughout the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Matthews is a nice player but why on earth would the Jets carry 4 RBs?

And seriously, who is going to play DE? The guys needs a little mobility. Odrick at 29. Houston at 61.
    Last year after Jenkins got hurt - Pouha, Green and Devito rotated at NT.
    Devito's value is he can come off the bench and fill several needs all with enthusiasm.
    1 who says LW will be on the team this year? He has hasn't signed his tender and there are rumors.
    2 I wld draft Cody over Mathews, but who says cody will be there? What is so special about Odrick? Why is odrick any better than mike devito? Or ha a higher upside than pito?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Think like this

Greene is the only sure thing we got, and his style is injury-prone.
    Just look at what a few games of near-full time duty did. Exposed him to injury.

Then we have LW who now is a major injury liability, and L-t who is both an injury liability and a short term role player

In terms of our team needs, you have RB up there behind 3rd CB, OLB and maybe DL.

In all of the above positions, you are already going to have the top tier players off the board by 29.

Matthews is like 1b at the position, and while u can get a guy later like we did w greene or LW, Matthews may b too good to pass on.

You have to look to the future with almost evry positon on the team - who could u draft that would step in and start right away?

Consider, if we sign Taylor, that will have another position covered short term.

Now, imagine Greene gets injured. What options does this club have?

Imagine l-t gets injured, can greene do it himsef?

Is LW even going to sign?

And what about who will be playing rb in 2011 and beyond?

Our roster is stacked, and you got to go BPA at some point to add depth.
    The only way we go RB anywhere near the first round is if we lose Leon and that would mean we get a second, so we can get someone later on.

RBs are a dime a dozen and our current starter was had in the 3rd round where we can pull the trigger on guys like Gerhart if we feel it is enough of a need.

Our current RB situation is fine going in especially if we keep all three of the guys we have penciled in.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Ugh...

Powe is on a different level compared to any of the guys you mentioned with the exception of Ngata.

Cody sucks. Just watch the guy. He doesn't have good strength and he has ZERO balance. Despite his size, he can be moved far too much. Now, he's not the oldest draft pick in the world so perhaps he improves with his strength, but that doesn't happen much.
    Powe is awesome...I'd love him next year...I'd rather take the bigger one now. Sorry, but 'Bama suddenly became a NC caliber D when the crappy Cody came in...I'm sure Rolando McClain is happy they found Cody.

I stand by my stance that Cody is terribly underrated due to him being fat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Powe is awesome...I'd love him next year...I'd rather take the bigger one now. Sorry, but 'Bama suddenly became a NC caliber D when the crappy Cody came in...I'm sure Rolando McClain is happy they found Cody.

that's a question i had about mcclain. i haven't seen him play much, but was his film aided by having cody in there, so he could fly around and make plays?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    people forget that pouha took his mormon mission and is actually kinda old. He's 31... he was a very old rookie
    Dude, NTs can play into their late 30s (Ted Washington, Pat Williams). I've heard you describe Kris Jenkings as "young" at his position (he's 30) and somehow Pouha is "kinda old" at 31?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Dude, NTs can play into their late 30s (Ted Washington, Pat Williams). I've heard you describe Kris Jenkings as "young" at his position (he's 30) and somehow Pouha is "kinda old" at 31?
    I think he can be just fine... but can always get stronger at that position

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    The only way we go RB anywhere near the first round is if we lose Leon and that would mean we get a second, so we can get someone later on.

RBs are a dime a dozen and our current starter was had in the 3rd round where we can pull the trigger on guys like Gerhart if we feel it is enough of a need.

Our current RB situation is fine going in especially if we keep all three of the guys we have penciled in.
    U can get any position later, with a few exceptions. But say cody is gone. Say mccourty is gone.

U have odrick on the board and matthews. U may jump on odrick, but I look at the fragility at our RB squad and think deep.

I take mathews, then trade LW, get that 2nd rounder and take lamarr houston, cam thomas, ricky sapp, best, etc.

That's a better haul than odrick and the 2.29 pick, gerhadt, or keeping washington.

This is how I think the FO fools everyone year in year out. They do crazy **** like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    that's a question i had about mcclain. i haven't seen him play much, but was his film aided by having cody in there, so he could fly around and make plays?
    All great LBers play better behind stout DTs. McClain's value lies as much in his intangibles such as his ability to read an offense, pursue with angles, lead and all that jazz. Combined with his size and resume and he's good to go in the top 15...I mean he did start as a true freshman for Nick Saban's D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    plus, jenkins almost retired already, and he may play only 1 or 2 more years anyway. cody would ease that transition and give ample security in case he goes down again. i could also see the jets taking carrington in the 2nd so the dl would be fortified for years. then they could take fliers on rush olbs, since tanny won't do that again with a high pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post

Gonna be interesting because I really don't think he'll be good in the NFL

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    rex's dream is to stop the run, force teams to throw and then have true rush lbs drill qbs and have the qbs heave up throws for his dbs to pick off. cody would plug up the middle and force teams to be more creative running the ball or use more passing plays which is exactly what rex wants.
    Good point here, Rex often says "You won't run the ball on us", and teams were able to run with some success against us last season. I'm not a big fan of Cody, to be honest it's mostly because he's a big tub of lard, but with no other needs I think there's a good chance that he's the pick. Cody could be our Haloti Ngata.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they get Taylor, we can go either way. I still think RB, or DL, maybe not in that order...OL my long shot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather have Dan Williams instead of Cody but I do think that both guys will be gone by 29. I think the best philosophy would be to trade down and stockpile picks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cody or Odrick

I'd be happy as a pig in sh*t with either of them.

Cody has his issues, and I wouldn't take him in the Top 20. But you can't deny that a potentially dominant NT is great value at the bottom of round 1.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be very happy with Cody at this point. Remember in this system, a 3-4 DE isn't half as important as a NT. If Cody can get into better shape, and improve his stamina, he can really be a player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    U can get any position later, with a few exceptions. But say cody is gone. Say mccourty is gone.

U have odrick on the board and matthews. U may jump on odrick, but I look at the fragility at our RB squad and think deep.

I take mathews, then trade LW, get that 2nd rounder and take lamarr houston, cam thomas, ricky sapp, best, etc.

That's a better haul than odrick and the 2.29 pick, gerhadt, or keeping washington.

This is how I think the FO fools everyone year in year out. They do crazy **** like that.
    I would agree if it was Odrick vs Matthews I would delay my thinking and may even pick Matthews. But still a first on a part-time running back whose role will be small and may even diminish more if Sanchez develops into what we wish is not exactly a wise first round choice.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd take Odrick in a heartbeat. And if not Odrick, I'd take a Jerry Hughes or maybe even a Ricky Sapp. A lot of guys I would take ahead of Matthews.

Just don't see the use in taking a RB that high. I know there is the whole "ground and pound" thing but that was basically a short term philosophy. It may last into this year, but that's about it. We didn't trade up into the Top 5 of the draft for a QB and surround him with all these weapons just for him to play the role of gamemanager.

The NFL is a passing league and it's pretty clear that we're aimed at becoming one of the more prolific passing teams in the game.

Greene may have a tendency to get banged up (we really don't know yet after one season), but he looks to be a very talented power runner. Tomlinson should fill the role of 3rd down back for the next year or two and we still have Leon to toss into the mix at least for this season. And a 2nd round pick for Leon is extremely wishful thinking, even when he's able to pass a physical. He's closing in on the 30 year mark, is coming off a pretty bad broken leg, and has always relied strictly on speed and agility to begin with.

I'd much rather add to the front seven in round 1.