Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tanny's moves tell me who will be drafted at 29:

Tanny's moves tell me who will be drafted at 29:

Terence Cody. Initially, he'll be rotated in to spell jenkins, etc. Other teams will not be able to run on the jets anymore, and rex will draft a rush olb in addition to pursuing taylor to rush the qb.

I think initially he'll rotate with DeVito at the DE spot with no one there, while also playing some NT.

I agree though...I think Rex wants his future feature DL and we all know how much the Ravens D of the past decade has loved giant, fat, space eating DTs. Cody's as big and as good as any NT prospect over the next couple years and he's certainly the best NT prospect since Ngata (and I was a big Raji fan)...He's better than Phil Taylor...bigger and with a stronger resume than Powe...then I'm out of future NT prospects I really, really like.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-12-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    We r trading up with the browns for Eric berry if he is there. I feel it.

rex's dream is to stop the run, force teams to throw and then have true rush lbs drill qbs and have the qbs heave up throws for his dbs to pick off. cody would plug up the middle and force teams to be more creative running the ball or use more passing plays which is exactly what rex wants.

Hall Of Fame
    me likey

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Terence Cody. Initially, he'll be rotated in to spell jenkins, etc. Other teams will not be able to run on the jets anymore, and rex will draft a rush olb in addition to pursuing taylor to rush the qb.
    +1

Drafting Cody goes against my personal preference but it makes a lot of sense. Jenkins always needs to be spelled and is coming off a major injury. If Tanny decided to do this I'd be happy since we get a replacement now who he has at least a year to learn under the master. We need a 1st rounder to make an impact so like Gato said above, rotate him at DE.

As for the OLB, 4th round - Greg Hardy.

I think this depends on who SD drafts.

If they draft Cody and pass on Matthews, I think we grab the RB, and vica versa.

All League
    I'm going to hold out still and disagree. I don't think they covet a one demensional player at 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We r trading up with the browns for Eric berry if he is there. I feel it.
    We're not dealing with Mangina anymore, it will be harder to fleece them this time around...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

If they draft Cody and pass on Matthews, I think we grab the RB, and vica versa.
    I don't see anyway that we grab a RB in round 1. It's just simply unnecessary even if we don't keep leon. If Matthews is there i believe we most likely trade down if someone really wants him.

remember that mike pettine powerpoint that was making the rounds from his days at Baltimore

it said very clearly... maybe #3 key to his defense... the 3-4 requires a nose tackle who can gap clog, dominate and otherwise control the point.

I have to agree with the original poster, Cody is probably on the short list at 29...

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    remember that mike pettine powerpoint that was making the rounds from his days at Baltimore

it said very clearly... maybe #3 key to his defense... the 3-4 requires a nose tackle who can gap clog, dominate and otherwise control the point.

I have to agree with the original poster, Cody is probably on the short list at 29...
    it's not a dynamic or sexy pick, but his presense would change the way offenses approach the jets. it feeds right into rex's plan to make teams throw and then pound the qb. if the jets could get cody in the first, and either a DE or olb in the 2nd, the defense would be set for a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    We're not dealing with Mangina anymore, it will be harder to fleece them this time around...
    no, we will trade fair value. maybe our 1st this year and next and a latter round pick. Something is telling me Berry is coming here.

take this for what it's worth:

Terrence Cody is the best nose tackle prospect I've seen for about 7 years. Obviously Haloti Ngata was awesome but he was more of a 5-tech. Dan Williams is a high motor hard worker but he's not as hard to block as Cody. People talk about Odrick, there are Odricks every year. There are guys like Suh and Cameron Heyward who are way better than Odrick ever will be...

but as a pure gap clogging nose, there is no Terrence Cody in next years draft... or maybe no Cody for 5 drafts hence. There simply are not nose tackles who are above 6'3" in height and above 350 in weight... it's a rare combo to find that guy... with the Ted Washington type of measurables.

So while CBNY would probably need a defribulator, I'd have absolutely no problem with the pick.

it all hit me this morning, the holmes news and what it means for the draft. rex had a year to evaluate the defensive guys, he sent a few cbs and rhodes packing and probably would send vernon packing if woody ok'd it. after jenkins went down no way does rex want to have to scramble finding ways to stop guys like ronnie brown when he can draft a monster and dare teams to run or force them to revise their gameplan that will funnel plays to the playmakers on the jets defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I think initially he'll rotate with DeVito at the DE spot with no one there, while also playing some NT.

I agree though...I think Rex wants his future feature DL and we all know how much the Ravens D of the past decade has loved giant, fat, space eating DTs. Cody's as big and as good as any NT prospect over the next couple years and he's certainly the best NT prospect since Ngata (and I was a big Raji fan)...He's better than Phil Taylor...bigger and with a stronger resume than Powe...then I'm out of future NT prospects I really, really like.
    Ugh...

Powe is on a different level compared to any of the guys you mentioned with the exception of Ngata.

Cody sucks. Just watch the guy. He doesn't have good strength and he has ZERO balance. Despite his size, he can be moved far too much. Now, he's not the oldest draft pick in the world so perhaps he improves with his strength, but that doesn't happen much.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    take this for what it's worth:

Terrence Cody is the best nose tackle prospect I've seen for about 7 years. Obviously Haloti Ngata was awesome but he was more of a 5-tech. Dan Williams is a high motor hard worker but he's not as hard to block as Cody. People talk about Odrick, there are Odricks every year. There are guys like Suh and Cameron Heyward who are way better than Odrick ever will be...

but as a pure gap clogging nose, there is no Terrence Cody in next years draft... or maybe no Cody for 5 drafts hence. There simply are not nose tackles who are above 6'3" in height and above 350 in weight... it's a rare combo to find that guy... with the Ted Washington type of measurables.

So while CBNY would probably need a defribulator, I'd have absolutely no problem with the pick.
    I was excited too about Cody when I seen when he was recruited and he had the size that he does... I've been looking for that Ted Washington since Ted Washington first came onto the scene. Cody is not Ted Washington. Cody is horrible in terms of balance and just doesn't show good strength despite being as big as he is.

He will definitely hang around in the NFl for a few years, but won't do much as a starter.

I really would rather not take him.

Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    I don't see anyway that we grab a RB in round 1. It's just simply unnecessary even if we don't keep leon. If Matthews is there i believe we most likely trade down if someone really wants him.
    Think like this

Greene is the only sure thing we got, and his style is injury-prone.
    Just look at what a few games of near-full time duty did. Exposed him to injury.

Then we have LW who now is a major injury liability, and L-t who is both an injury liability and a short term role player

In terms of our team needs, you have RB up there behind 3rd CB, OLB and maybe DL.

In all of the above positions, you are already going to have the top tier players off the board by 29.

Matthews is like 1b at the position, and while u can get a guy later like we did w greene or LW, Matthews may b too good to pass on.

You have to look to the future with almost evry positon on the team - who could u draft that would step in and start right away?

Consider, if we sign Taylor, that will have another position covered short term.

Now, imagine Greene gets injured. What options does this club have?

Imagine l-t gets injured, can greene do it himsef?

Is LW even going to sign?

And what about who will be playing rb in 2011 and beyond?

Our roster is stacked, and you got to go BPA at some point to add depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    no, we will trade fair value. maybe our 1st this year and next and a latter round pick. Something is telling me Berry is coming here.
    Agreed, if we make the big trade up splash we go for Berry. The kind of super play making safety we need and want. If Rex sees Ed Reed version 2 in Berry he will be pushing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

Matthews is a nice player but why on earth would the Jets carry 4 RBs?

And seriously, who is going to play DE? The guys needs a little mobility. Odrick at 29. Houston at 61.
    Last year after Jenkins got hurt - Pouha, Green and Devito rotated at NT.
    Devito's value is he can come off the bench and fill several needs all with enthusiasm.