Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The safety position THREAD.

The safety position THREAD.

This is one thing that confuses me here and its the hate towards taylor mays. The guy can play and is dedicated to football. I understand his covereage skills arents the best but would you rather taylor mays at 29? Or we package something to move up and get eric berry costing us players and draft picks? I wouldnt mind waiting for taylor mays it would be better because of the contract! I dont want another top10 contract! Vernon Gholston? Tanny is crazy! Love the guy!
    P.S I dont want Poole being our starter!

Hall Of Fame
    It's Pool, not jingleheimerschmidtz.

Pool is pretty much as good as Kerry Rhodes. I don't trust his health though as one more hit could end his career.

As for Taylor Mays, some teams don't even have him listed as a Safety on their boards. He might have to switch to linebacker. I think he can stay at Safety but who knows.

Getting Eric Berry is not happening. The cost to jump up to get him would be too steep. Earl Thomas could be in striking distance though. Mayock still has him ranked above Berry. Thomas has great ball skills and could be a hawk back there for us.

Pool is pretty much as good as Kerry Rhodes. I don't trust his health though as one more hit could end his career.
    Pretty much when Rhodes had his worst season and Pool just had his best....otherwise, Rhodes is better by a pretty wide margin.

I have feeling Tanny will somehow pull off trade and Darren Sharper will be starting safety

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    I have feeling Tanny will somehow pull off trade and Darren Sharper will be starting safety
    Sharper is an UFA?

we can't trade for sharper. the only he comes here is after that july 22 deadline when the final four rules expire and he signs with us.

TJ Byrd, Oregon.

Banned
    No need to trade up for Berry as this is a deep draft for Safeties.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Pretty much when Rhodes had his worst season and Pool just had his best....otherwise, Rhodes is better by a pretty wide margin.
    That is correct

Not correct. Looking at their most recent production respectively over the last 2 seasons--- Here's how Rhodes and Pool compare:

KRhodes - In his last 2 seasons -32 games- his totals are:
    147 tackles 18 pass breakups 1 sack 0 FF 5 INTs

BPool - In his last 2 seasons -26 games- 6 less games than KR -his totals:
    115 tackles 16 pass breakups 2 sacks 1 FF 7 INTs

Kendrick Lewis Olse Miss or Kurt Coleman please.

Also, taking Dominique Franks and turning Lowery into a CB/S could work too.

Pool also had that what 103 yard int return against the ravens I believe, but that's going back 3 seasons... I only bring that up thanks to the memory of KR being chased down from behind by Olineman. I really liked Rhodes at one time as a player but as his ego boomed his play slipped drastically. Brodney Pool is just the opposite -a good player who is underrated. Loved the signing, unreal value provided he stays on the field, which our doctors have cleared him 100%. Also, contrary to public belief here, he has only had 1 documented/verified concussion. I really like this player, perfect low risk high reward. Still wouldn't stop me from taking a safety next week should the player have the grade. Taylor Mays for instance could really wreak havoc utilized in the NYJ hybrid defense. Would bring a whole other dimension IMO. 4-6 would be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Not last year he wasn't. Rhodes sucked for 2/3 of last year. Sucked very badly. That's why his rump was traded on the cheap.

Safety and Pass Rush still bugs me, I want to see those positions addressed in the Top 2 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Not last year he wasn't. Rhodes sucked for 2/3 of last year. Sucked very badly. That's why his rump was traded on the cheap.
    Ugh...

It's amazing how we had this awful safety yet we were number 1 in the league against the pass for essentially the entire season.

Rhodes was not that bad, despite how much you may hate him. If he was that bad, he would have been sitting the bench quicker than he was.

The FO just decided that Rhodes wasn't as good as what he was getting paid. He's still a very good safety however and that will show with Zona.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNY JOHNSON View Post
    Pool also had that what 103 yard int return against the ravens I believe, but that's going back 3 seasons... I only bring that up thanks to the memory of KR being chased down from behind by Olineman. I really liked Rhodes at one time as a player but as his ego boomed his play slipped drastically. Brodney Pool is just the opposite -a good player who is underrated. Loved the signing, unreal value provided he stays on the field, which our doctors have cleared him 100%. Also, contrary to public belief here, he has only had 1 documented/verified concussion. I really like this player, perfect low risk high reward. Still wouldn't stop me from taking a safety next week should the player have the grade. Taylor Mays for instance could really wreak havoc utilized in the NYJ hybrid defense. Would bring a whole other dimension IMO. 4-6 would be insane.
    JJ get its

He's a hybrid OLB/S that lays the lumber.

Rex Ryan on putting “big hits” on the opposing quarterbacks…

It is a big part of what we do. That old saying, cut the head off and the body will fall, whatever that is. Realistically, if you can get to the quarterback and you can hit them and do all those things, nobody likes getting their quarterback hit. I do think it has an effect on your whole football team. I’m the same guy that brings up the point about a big hit will alter the course of a game more than anything else – more than a turnover, more than a touchdown. A big hit will change momentum of a football game. We had more big hits than San Diego had in that game. I think we hit the quarterback more than San Diego did and obviously the challenge of hitting Peyton Manning, they’ve given up 10 sacks. I don’t want to say (it’s) impossible, but clearly it’s going to be a huge challenge. I think we will be able to disrupt him some.
    http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ut-colts-week/
    Last edited by dassin; 04-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    TJ Byrd, Oregon.
    you mean TJ Ward but yeh- I agree....as physical as Mays but can cover and go sideline t- sideline....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    TJ Byrd, Oregon.
    you mean TJ Ward but yeh- I agree....as physical as Mays but can cover and go sideline to sideline....

Taylor Mays

I personally am a big fan of Taylor Mays because he can change the game at any given time with a huge hit. Every time there was a run to the outside against USC, Mays would come flying in and destroy the ball carrier. I feel certain that Rex can help Mays in his coverage skills, and work with his skill set to make the middle of the field a dangerous place to be.