Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The safety position THREAD.

Taylor Mays has top 10 measurables to get him at 29 is a heist. It would be a fantastic pick - hitting is always a need on Rex's defense.

this is the same university that produced several excellent safeties in the NFL... we've all heard the cliche but it's true. If you want a doctor do you get the guy from Harvard or the guy from Albany? Even if the guy from Albany really tries hard he's probably not the guy you pick when you are really sick. That's how Tanny thinks...

USC churns out great players, the Jets love these guys... they could be limited by the league to only draft USC, Ohio State for the next few seasons I dont think they'd complain.

I agree 100% with original poster if the Jets are at 29 overall selecting a guy who's dad was in the league, who ran a legit 4.3 at 230, im gonna be very ok with that pick.

The fact that Rex runs alot of 46 can help protect a Taylor Mays. And he'll blow up people on defense. They love head hunters and is part of the reason why Rhodes is gone.

Dont be surprised if it happens, Mays is not a workout warrior, he's a tough football player... and is everything Rhodes isn't...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Ugh...

It's amazing how we had this awful safety yet we were number 1 in the league against the pass for essentially the entire season.

Rhodes was not that bad, despite how much you may hate him. If he was that bad, he would have been sitting the bench quicker than he was.

The FO just decided that Rhodes wasn't as good as what he was getting paid. He's still a very good safety however and that will show with Zona.

Kerry Rhodes is a good safety, but lacks a certain instinct when in zone

coverage almost plays his zone too strict, it just seems like he wouldn't

gamble when he could and should have. Also he was so so when in run

support, he just didn't bring a desire to crush the ball carrier, and this enable

Eric Smith to see the field on running plays.

I'm not a Mays fan. I don't think he is the type of player the Jets need, unless you want him to replace Jim Leonhard. He certainly isn't a FS, he is a SS. He could be great on special teams coverage units, but there just isn't enough value for this Jets team with this player to spend a 1st rounder on, especially when you will be able to pick up a D Lineman or edge pass rusher that will make more of an impact with that pick.

All League
    I posted this in another thread, but meant to do so in this one...

I am actually never in favor of selecting Safeties in the 1st round. Now, if there is a need at Strong Safety, and there's good value, then I could see drafting a SS somewhere in the mid to low 1st round. But, a Free Safety? NEVER. You can get those guys later in the draft, and alot of times, there are alot of CB's in the draft that better translate to FS in the pros.

Eric Berry will be a Strong Safety in the pros. We don't need a SS. Why would the Jets trade multiple picks (when they should be in the pick-collection mode) to draft a player to replace Jim Leonhard? Last I looked, we have more important needs.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure Berry will be a god pro. But not with us.

...And by the way, why are so many that believe a FS is such a need? Kerry Rhodes will be easlily replaced. And we have two guys on our roster that can be his equal, if not better in Brodney Pool & Dwight Lowery.

Rhodes was not good, and we still had a great Defense.

Also, Taylor Mays looks like a great athlete and hitter. But man I would be pissed if we passed on a couple of great-looking RB's, OLB, and DE's to take him.

The Jets currently have 4 safeties and not a bad bunch either.
    How many do people think they are going to carry?
    They have 5 CBs currently and need another reserve.
    They have no need for a safety, let alone a high pick. The number 1 pass defense last year, remember.

10 DBs. That's what they had last year. The roster is only so big, folks. This is not college. 53 guys only.
    Go through a roster count in your head. Offense 23-24. Defense 26-27 + 3 ST.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    USC churns out great players, the Jets love these guys... they could be limited by the league to only draft USC, Ohio State for the next few seasons I dont think they'd complain.

I agree 100% with original poster if the Jets are at 29 overall selecting a guy who's dad was in the league, who ran a legit 4.3 at 230, im gonna be very ok with that pick.

The fact that Rex runs alot of 46 can help protect a Taylor Mays. And he'll blow up people on defense. They love head hunters and is part of the reason why Rhodes is gone.
    Dont be surprised if it happens, Mays is not a workout warrior, he's a tough football player... and is everything Rhodes isn't...
    Yup, i'm on board.

Playmakers on defense baby.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    The Jets currently have 4 safeties and not a bad bunch either.
    How many do people think they are going to carry?
    They have 5 CBs currently and need another reserve.
    They have no need for a safety, let alone a high pick. The number 1 pass defense last year, remember.

10 DBs. That's what they had last year. The roster is only so big, folks. This is not college. 53 guys only.
    Go through a roster count in your head. Offense 23-24. Defense 26-27 + 3 ST.
    We did have the #1 pass defense but it still got torched by Henne (twice), Brady, Garrard and of course, Manning. At the end of the season there was room for improvement and with the addition of Cromartie the FO clearly saw that as well.

We also had five safeties last year on last year's roster and that didn't seem to hurt anything. I hated Rhodes but always said it would be really hard to replace him. He was the most athletic, consistently healthy and very skilled in coverage but now he's gone. Brodney Pool is this year's Strickland - great on the field but fragile and was signed so there wasn't a glaring hole as we approached the draft.

I see WEAK depth if Pool does in fact get injured. Excluding Leonhard, out of Pool, Smith and James Ihedigbo I do not see a 16 game legit starter across from JL. We need to brawn to his brain, the enforcer -- MAYS WAS MENTORED BY RONNIE LOTT for godsakes. We are going to have to beat teams down the stretch in the playoffs and that starts with stopping TEs like Gates and Clark. TEs specifically cost us two losses last season - Jags (Lewis) and Falcons (Gonzalez).

And lastly, Rex has states that you can never have enough DBs. He drafted two safeties in the same draft in 2008 - he must value them somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    We did have the #1 pass defense but it still got torched by Henne (twice), Brady, Garrard and of course, Manning. At the end of the season there was room for improvement and with the addition of Cromartie the FO clearly saw that as well.

We also had five safeties last year on last year's roster and that didn't seem to hurt anything. I hated Rhodes but always said it would be really hard to replace him. He was the most athletic, consistently healthy and very skilled in coverage but now he's gone. Brodney Pool is this year's Strickland - great on the field but fragile and was signed so there wasn't a glaring hole as we approached the draft.

I see WEAK depth if Pool does in fact get injured. Excluding Leonhard, out of Pool, Smith and James Ihedigbo I do not see a 16 game legit starter across from JL. We need to brawn to his brain, the enforcer -- MAYS WAS MENTORED BY RONNIE LOTT for godsakes. We are going to have to beat teams down the stretch in the playoffs and that starts with stopping TEs like Gates and Clark. TEs specifically cost us two losses last season - Jags (Lewis) and Falcons (Gonzalez).

And lastly, Rex has states that you can never have enough DBs. He drafted two safeties in the same draft in 2008 - he must value them somewhat.

Let's go safety and have nobody at DE. Seems ok to me. Because right now that's what the Jets have. No starting DE opposite Ellis. And what if Ellis goes down or does weed again? I don't want to hear about Devito who is a nice backup or Piti who is barely on the roster or Wright who is a total JAG-. A rookie can't start at DE? Why can a safety? And who's going to stop the run without a DE. And who is playing OLB behind Pace, also known to get suspended from time to time.
    Maybe Tanny can pick up Sharpe so we don't hear any more safety talk just like a first round WR discussion.
    It's the guys up front that win the games and the Jets are not solid there. Their DB situation IS solid.
    And the Jets got lit up more from failing corners. As for Manning, beating him is based on luck or him making a careless throw.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Let's go safety and have nobody at DE. Seems ok to me. Because right now that's what the Jets have. No starting DE opposite Ellis. And what if Ellis goes down or does weed again? I don't want to hear about Devito who is a nice backup or Piti who is barely on the roster or Wright who is a total JAG-. A rookie can't start at DE? Why can a safety? And who's going to stop the run without a DE. And who is playing OLB behind Pace, also known to get suspended from time to time.
    Maybe Tanny can pick up Sharpe so we don't hear any more safety talk just like a first round WR discussion.
    It's the guys up front that win the games and the Jets are not solid there. Their DB situation IS solid.
    And the Jets got lit up more from failing corners. As for Manning, beating him is based on luck or him making a careless throw.
    Imo, beating Manning is based on getting him out of that stadium.

Cromartie seems to have him figured out though, so who knows.

Jets definitely need help on DL, and this is a very good draft for that. Pass rusher would be nice, but I think the team is trying to fill that need through jason Taylor.

DL is the biggest need imo, with corner being 2nd.

draft a safety

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFever06 View Post
    This is one thing that confuses me here and its the hate towards taylor mays. The guy can play and is dedicated to football. I understand his covereage skills arents the best but would you rather taylor mays at 29? Or we package something to move up and get eric berry costing us players and draft picks? I wouldnt mind waiting for taylor mays it would be better because of the contract! I dont want another top10 contract! Vernon Gholston? Tanny is crazy! Love the guy!
    P.S I dont want Poole being our starter!
    you can rest assured that the jets will draft a safety in this draft.but it won't be in the first or second round.more important is to draft a defensive end in the early rounds.which is a must for the jets defense.

Roy Williams