Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: If the Jets select Cody in the first will CBTNY commit suicide...

OK, so I hate this thread like most people who see it and then ignore it, but I was just curious about the general consensus.

Do we all agree that Vincenzo Testaverde is an idiot who just won't admit he was wrong? This is a pretty dumb internet battle but I just wanted to know if I was the only one who thought it was one-sided.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    LOL- JI's resident village idiot chimes in with his usual ignorance...

coward?? LMAO- as I stated in the previous post internet tough guy- if you can prove otherwise go right ahead....but i suspect you'll continue with your usual mindless bloviating....
    "Bloviating"? You were starting thread after thread about how terrible Cody was and screaming at anyone who even remotely liked Cody as prospect for about a half-year period about how stupid they were. It's one thing to not like a prospect it's another thing to dedicate your adult life to bashing the poor kid for dumb reasons.

Now you're pretending like you liked Cody the entire time and this whole debate was about where Cody would be drafted. What a lame argument. Gee, I wonder if David Harris deserved to be drafted in round 1.

Not a good start in Baltimore. RT @duffstar: Ravens CB Walt Harris and rookie DT Terrence Cody didn't pass conditioning test.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not a good start in Baltimore. RT @duffstar: Ravens CB Walt Harris and rookie DT Terrence Cody didn't pass conditioning test.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter
    lolsorry

interesting preseason debut

Ravens Cody tackles stamina in NFL debut

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer 32 minutes ago

BALTIMORE (AP)—Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Terrence Cody(notes) showcased his stamina and run-stopping ability on full display during his unofficial NFL debut.

In a preseason game against Carolina on Thursday night, the 6-foot-4, 350-pound rookie played into the third quarter and finished with four tackles and an assist in hot, humid weather.

His performance should quell questions about his conditioning—for now.

His play at fullback, however, still needs work.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Drafted out of out Alabama in the second round with the 57th overall pick, Cody created a stir at training camp when he twice failed the conditioning test. He passed on the third try, then earned the nickname “Cheeseburger” from teammate Haloti Ngata(notes) during his first practice.

All that was forgotten after Baltimore’s 17-9 victory.

Cody said the coaching staff told him two nights before the game to “drink a lot of water” because he was to get a lot of playing time. “I kept by condition really well,” he said.

Cody’s first official tackle of the preseason came when he collared DeAngelo Williams(notes) for a 1-yard loss with 5:19 left in the first quarter.

“It felt good,” Cody said. “I wanted to celebrate, but my shoe came off and I had to come off the field.”

Unfortunately, his first mention on the play-by-play sheet occurred during Baltimore’s opening drive. Lined up at fullback in the goal-line package, Cody flinched and was called for a false start on a third-and-3.

Oops.

“That was a new experience for me in the NFL,” he said. “When we do it again, hopefully I can do it a lot better.”

Cody played nose guard at Alabama for two years. He started 26 games, twice earned All-SEC honors and helped the Crimson Tide win the national championship last season.

That dazzling ledger is of no use to Cody in Baltimore, where he’s nothing more than an eager rookie trying to bring something extra to a defense long considered to be among the NFL’s finest. On Thursday, he made a very good first impression.

“He made some plays in some big situations,” coach John Harbaugh said. “He really made some stops. He took control of the middle pretty well.”

Ngata said, “He did a great job. In the beginning he was kind of slow to get off some blocks, but toward the end he got used to being out there and made some plays.”

The result of preseason games are meaningless, but they do serve a purpose. In Cody’s case, it was an introduction to pressure and speed associated with playing in the NFL.

“After my first snap, I got the jitters out and started making plays,” he said. “Everything was moving fast. The game was moving fast. It’s a whole lot different than college. But once I settled down, that’s when instincts kicked in and I started doing what I do.”

On draft day, Cody was happy to be selected by the Ravens but disappointed he didn’t go until late in the second round. Now he’s the focal point of Baltimore’s 2010 draft because top pick Sergio Kindle(notes) of Texas is out indefinitely with a fractured skull.

Kindle, an outside linebacker, was supposed to aid the pass rush. Cody is the designated run-stopper, a job he handled capably in his debut.

“I was running around the field, making plays on every snap,” Cody said. “That’s going to be the memory: Playing hard, playing for the Ravens and playing in my first NFL game—even if it was a preseason game.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    interesting preseason debut
    lol...

Banned
    lol...
    Indeed.

Terrence Cody makes doubters eat their words

gave Ravens rookie defensive lineman Terrence Cody some love in last night's "Seven Points" column after he made five tackles in the Ravens' 17-12 win over the Panthers. Cody probably couldn't care less.

Praise from the Ravens' head ball coach? I bet Cody feels pretty good about that.

"I can’t wait to see the tape," coach John Harbaugh said. "[Cody] made some plays in some big situations, where we had to get some stops, and I thought he controlled the [line] in there pretty well."

Harbaugh will probably TiVo a few times the play where Cody tackled DeAngelo Williams with one arm while holding off a Panthers lineman with the other. That play was a lot more impressive than when Cody waddled through wind "sprints" during his conditioning test. The kid can play. Who cares if he's a little husky?

Harbaugh was basically asked during his post-game press conference if he thought Cody was the type of player who doesn't practice well, but turns it on when it counts. It was a good question, a fair question.

"He’s had his moments on the practice field," Harbaugh said. "The biggest thing with Terrence right now has been working on technique. We play a two-gap system a little bit different than what Alabama does. We think he’s very well suited for that, but he’s got to learn those techniques. And it’s going to be that way all year.

"It’s going to be a learning process all year for him, but he’s really built for that kind of a system. That’s why we drafted him, so it did show up today."

Cody was pleased with his performance. Well, except for that false start when he lined up as a fullback at the goal line, but hey, that's understandable.

"Yeah, I surprised myself a whole lot because this being your first game, you never know how you can play," Cody told The Baltimore Sun. "I just played how I played. Everything I learned from practice and the veterans, I used that in the game, and it helped me out a lot."

Give it a rest. Seriously.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Give it a rest. Seriously.
    Yes you're right. He failed a tape test in July - his career is over

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Indeed.
    ironic; you disappear after all your pre-draft predictions went to sh!t....return when cody does well in his underwear against 3rd teamers in May....disappear again after cody fails the conditioning test, then reappear the moment cody stands out once again against third teamers in the first pre-season game...

seems like a pattern to me...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 08-14-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Very impressed with Cody, he definitely flashed, he's going to be a very good NT in this league, if he can develop and maintain a work ethic.

A first round talent that was a steal in the second.

If Wilson wasn't on the board at #29, I was thinking Cody.

Yes you're right. He failed a tape test in July - his career is over
    Says the guy who's making a big deal about a pre-season game? Hypocrisy much?

I said he wouldn't be a first rounder. I was right. CBtNY was right. You were wrong.

Everything after that is inconsequential to that specific debate.

You're completely obnoxious. Go back to the main board.

Banned
    Really guys? Thanks. 1 actual Nose Tackle left on the roster and it's barely week 2 going into the season we were supposed to finally go to the Super Bowl in.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Really guys? Thanks. 1 actual Nose Tackle left on the roster and it's barely week 2 going into the season we were supposed to finally go to the Super Bowl in.
    yep...Cody really would've helped lasgt night and not drafting him will definitely cost the jets a trip to the Super Bowl....

Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-14-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Practice Squad
    yep...Cody really would've helped lasgt night and not drafting him will definitely cost the jets a trip to the Super Bowl....

+1, I wish the Jets would've drafted Cam Thomas in either the 4th or 5th but it doesn't impact them this year on making or not making it to the SB.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Play Like A Jet View Post
    +1, I wish the Jets would've drafted Cam Thomas in either the 4th or 5th but it doesn't impact them this year on making or not making it to the SB.
    that's my guy....said nine months ago he'll be a better pro than cody....thomas will be starting by the end of the year...

Isn't this worth a bump?

Some people wanted to say he was a solid prospect but I wouldn't even go that far... The guy has little strength and zero balance. He did a nice job losing the weight but I wasn't even concerned with that.

His absolute, best case scenario remains Ma'ake Kemoeatu. A decent year here or there, but overall a bleh player who stays on teams because of his size. I still think Cody ends up being a backup who hangs around, much because of his size.

It is his first year and he's a DT, so any production would have been a shock, but he's certainly not been an impact.

I'm guessing some people here got real excited about him because they seen the highlight films on youtube. You can watch TJ Duckett highlight films and think he's the best power back in the world. But when you sit there and watch play after play, rewinding and watching again, you realize that Cody is a very little impact so much of the time. He shows so little strength 90% of the time, although he'll throw out that one play where you think he could be good. Besides that, he ends up on the ground so much where balance is a clear issue. Typically balance is not an issue for anyone, but definitely for him. He's only 22 so he definitely has that going for him though.

You want to watch a nose tackle prospect, then watch Powe from Ole Miss. The guy has serious man strength. Gets great leverage so much of the time. I still don't know how he gets so low on guys. I know the stats don't equal what he did last year, but he's a far better prospect than what Cody was. Have to see an interview or two see where his head is at... Hopefully he has some brain in that head. The smart guys are the ones who find ways to improve.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

was reluctant to bump this thread but after what i heard in Mobile i had to....after weigh-ins the conversation eventually turned to Cody...a guy who covers the team says, matter of factly, "the good news is he was under 40% body fat when the season ended"....

40%????

watch the Bal/Pit playoff tape, Cody made several excellent plays. He's unmovable inside.

I have learned a lesson about his draft value (and admitted it) but make no mistake he's a real deal player... and basically an excellent example of what you want a two down 3-4 NT prospect to be. Newsome gambled on 2 2nd round picks, he missed on Sergio Kindle (who many many people loved) and he hit on Cody.

I watched all the guys at Mobile this year, dont get me wrong I like Fua, Jenkins, Neild and of course Phil taylor (who might be a better 5-tech) but none of those guys occupy space like Cody. He's not just a fat **** he's a fat **** with great feet.... and it makes a difference.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    watch the Bal/Pit playoff tape, Cody made several excellent plays. He's unmovable inside.

I have learned a lesson about his draft value (and admitted it) but make no mistake he's a real deal player... and basically an excellent example of what you want a two down 3-4 NT prospect to be. Newsome gambled on 2 2nd round picks, he missed on Sergio Kindle (who many many people loved) and he hit on Cody.

I watched all the guys at Mobile this year, dont get me wrong I like Fua, Jenkins, Neild and of course Phil taylor (who might be a better 5-tech) but none of those guys occupy space like Cody. He's not just a fat **** he's a fat **** with great feet.... and it makes a difference.
    He also commited a crucial hold that arguably cost the Ravens the game.

Anyways, question regarding Kindle... can we call him a bust already?! I know he needed surgery and was injured all season but cant he come back?? If so he could still turn into a player. Always loved his play at Texas...