Thread: Really cool video of Los Angeles

Really cool video of Los Angeles

Using stop-motion and tilt-shift photography, this guy makes LA look like a tiny city filled with toy cars and fake scenery. Usually, it's only the people who are fake.

[url]http://vimeo.com/3537180[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Wow, very cool.

Loved the music.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=pauliec;3557391]Using stop-motion and tilt-shift photography, this guy makes LA look like a tiny city filled with toy cars and fake scenery. Usually, it's only the people who are fake.

[url]http://vimeo.com/3537180[/url][/QUOTE]

I heard he did South Central first, but the Poleez confiscated it for clues in the 7 drive by's he caught on tape.

:eek:

Very cool.:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3557412]Wow, very cool.

Loved the music.[/QUOTE]

+1

Any way to find out who the artist is?

EDIT: Erik Satie

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

very interesting concept...the focusing combined with the time lapse made it. good post paulie :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Cool video.

The music? Uhhhhhh...maybe I was looking a different video, but that music was from an American Airlines commercial that also featured stop motion stuff.

;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The soccer game was really cool.

Reminded me of the old vibrating football games.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3557436]Cool video.

The music? Uhhhhhh...maybe I was looking a different video, but that music was from an American Airlines commercial that also featured stop motion stuff.

;)[/QUOTE]

Dude's apparently been around a while, so I'm sure companies have raped and pillaged his catalog through the years. Nothing new really.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3557419]+1

Any way to find out who the artist is?

EDIT: Erik Satie[/QUOTE]

Gymnopédies

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

that song was in a movie years ago, maybe 70's or early 80's

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TundraJet;3557500]Gymnopédies[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm always looking for new (or old) and interesting pieces of music.

[I][B]Gymnopedie for piano No. 1[/B]

Composition Description - by Blair Johnston

One imagines that Erik Satie -- a man who wrote an absurd autobiography detailing his day's activities down to the minute, a man whose apartment was filled with dozens and dozens of umbrellas at the time of his death, a man who had the notion to compose "wallpaper music," music meant to be absolutely ignored by the audience -- might be tickled to death to know that his best-known pieces, the Gymnopédie and the Gnossiennes for solo piano, are now recognized by thousands upon thousands the world over. [B]They are heard in soundtracks[/B], over restaurant speakers (something to which they are admirably suited, considering that their composer worked as a café pianist). Very few people, however, know anything at all of the eccentric subtitles and indications that Satie wrote on his scores. The first of the three Gymnopédie, for instance, is a "Spartan dance of naked youths and men" (rather a tame description by comparison with some of Satie's others).

The three Gymnopédie were composed during 1888; No. 1 is marked Lent et douloureux (slow and mournfully). Its steady 3/4 meter music falls into to nearly identical halves, with an accompaniment that sets up a regular rhythm (short-long, short-long) in the first bars and then veers from that rhythm only at the very end of each half. Atop this gently swaying background is a melody of the most peculiarly expressive kind; its quarter notes are translucent, its longer notes somehow hollow at their center (but not cold). The end of the second half is made to spin around a low E pedal (the dissonance of the F naturals above the pedal is absolutely empty -- there is, amazingly, almost no harmonic tension to it, and the pianist is well advised not to overlay any) before winding down to a glasslike modal cadence. Love it or hate it (and there are countless on both sides), only Satie could have written this piece.[/I]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3557554]Thanks, I'm always looking for new (or old) and interesting pieces of music.

One imagines that Erik Satie -- a man who wrote an absurd autobiography detailing his day's activities down to the minute, a man whose apartment was filled with dozens and dozens of umbrellas at the time of his death, a man who had the notion to compose "wallpaper music," music meant to be absolutely ignored by the audience -- might be tickled to death to know that his best-known pieces, the Gymnopédie and the Gnossiennes for solo piano, are now recognized by thousands upon thousands the world over. [B]They are heard in soundtracks[/B], over restaurant speakers (something to which they are admirably suited, considering that their composer worked as a café pianist). Very few people, however, know anything at all of the eccentric subtitles and indications that Satie wrote on his scores. The first of the three Gymnopédie, for instance, is a "Spartan dance of naked youths and men" (rather a tame description by comparison with some of Satie's others).

The three Gymnopédie were composed during 1888; No. 1 is marked Lent et douloureux (slow and mournfully). Its steady 3/4 meter music falls into to nearly identical halves, with an accompaniment that sets up a regular rhythm (short-long, short-long) in the first bars and then veers from that rhythm only at the very end of each half. Atop this gently swaying background is a melody of the most peculiarly expressive kind; its quarter notes are translucent, its longer notes somehow hollow at their center (but not cold). The end of the second half is made to spin around a low E pedal (the dissonance of the F naturals above the pedal is absolutely empty -- there is, amazingly, almost no harmonic tension to it, and the pianist is well advised not to overlay any) before winding down to a glasslike modal cadence. Love it or hate it (and there are countless on both sides), only Satie could have written this piece.[/I][/QUOTE]

I KNEW you were operadoosh!! :D

What's with the ducks?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiPQKK1upk[/url]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3557626]I KNEW you were operadoosh!! :D

What's with the ducks?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiPQKK1upk[/url][/QUOTE]

HA HA HA!

I guess to show that you can show anything over this music and it still sounds cool? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

What's with the ducks?

THAT SONG BLOOOOOOOWS!:eek:

Didnt they use it in a kaopectate commercial a long time ago?

Some dude holding his stomach with a miserable look on his face with that crappy song playing in the background?

:dunno:

suckage

What's with the ducks?

[QUOTE=RageATL;3557655]HA HA HA!

I guess to show that you can show anything over this music and it still sounds cool? ;)[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of those video montages of nature with soft piano music playing in the background that's on PBS sometimes.... or used to be on, 15 years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3557391]Using stop-motion and tilt-shift photography, this guy makes LA look like a tiny city filled with toy cars and fake scenery. Usually, it's only the people who are fake.

[url]http://vimeo.com/3537180[/url][/QUOTE]

I'm in LA right now. It doesn't look that pretty and serene.

As for the music, I KNOW I've heard it in a movie (or two) over the years but can't place it.

Can anyone name some of the movies or soundtracks?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3557554]Thanks, I'm always looking for new (or old) and interesting pieces of music.

The three Gymnopédie were composed during 1888; No. 1 is marked Lent et douloureux (slow and mournfully). Its steady 3/4 meter music falls into to nearly identical halves, with an accompaniment that sets up a regular rhythm (short-long, short-long) in the first bars and then veers from that rhythm only at the very end of each half. Atop this gently swaying background is a melody of the most peculiarly expressive kind; its quarter notes are translucent, its longer notes somehow hollow at their center (but not cold). The end of the second half is made to spin around a low E pedal (the dissonance of the F naturals above the pedal is absolutely empty -- there is, amazingly, almost no harmonic tension to it, and the pianist is well advised not to overlay any) before winding down to a glasslike modal cadence. Love it or hate it (and there are countless on both sides), only Satie could have written this piece.[/I][/QUOTE]

Learn something new everyday...and you've inspired my new status. :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3558101]I'm in LA right now. It doesn't look that pretty and serene.

As for the music, I KNOW I've heard it in a movie (or two) over the years but can't place it.

Can anyone name some of the movies or soundtracks?[/QUOTE]

I'll see if'n I can find some names.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3558102]Learn something new everyday...and you've inspired my new status. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of a music dork, so it was interesting to me.