Thread: Would it be a Debbie Downer if Kareem Jackson is the pick?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be a Debbie Downer if Kareem Jackson is the pick?

he doesn't improve the pass rush or run defense. He clearly becomes the #3 cb right away, and is the perfect hedge if/when cromartie leaves or implodes. Taking Jackson is arguably consistent with BAP approach, and addresses a need when the jets play teams with troublesome slot wrs (ie, Colts, Pats). It also allows the jets to take a DE in the 2nd round, where it's easier to trade up and there are a few DEs around who would be good fits in the jets scheme.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't see it happening to begin with

we have money tied into revis and probably more money tied into cromartie if he plays well this year I do't think we'll pay first round money to a nickle CB as opposed to replacing some of the big contract guys in the front 7 and our offensive line

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    These were all things i was hearing about Kareem Jackson so i had to find film on him. Sadly when i wacthed multiple games on him i was very disappointed in what i saw. whenever the WR made a cut he struggled to stay with them, and it really felt like his hips were very stiff. If he had to cover Wes Welker it would not help us. i know that his straight line speed is good, but that doesn't mean every thing for DBs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be ok with it. He is a talented player and fits our defense as he is extremely physical and tough. In today's league you basically can never have enough good cornerbacks.

Of course I would much rather have a guy like Kindle or Graham there...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I can easily name 29 players I would prefer to have over Jackson

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I want us to draft a corner but I like Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty more. Dunno, guess I'd have to defer to Rex and the scouting team if they took Jackson.

He doesn't play special's though right?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not.

He makes my Top 5 at CB

1. Joe Haden
    2. Kyle Wilson
    3. Devin McCourty
    4. Kareem Jackson
    5. Dominique Franks

Haden and Wilson will most likely be off the board by #29. McCourty may be gone as well.

I still think we're doing DL or CB in the 1st.

Joseph, Odrick, Cody, McCourty, and Jackson are all names I'd be happy with. I'm not against taking a passrusher like Hughes or a safety like Mays either if he slips.

Seriously, just give me a defensive player who can make an impact and I'll be thrilled. I trust our front office and coaching staff on this. Rex knows defensive talent and Bradway/Clinkscales are two of the best scouts in the business.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides QB and RB, the Jets can really go BAP (for the most part, anyway). I don't think CB is our biggest need right now, but if the BAP was clearly a CB, I think you can make the argument that they'll pull the trigger. Cro is on a 1 yr deal and you can never have enough cover CBs in a Rex Ryan Defense.

I doubt that Kareem Jackson is the BAP at 29 though. It would more likely be a case of K. Wilson dropping and the Jets can't pass up a value like that. For them to go CB, it needs to be a case of a CB being the BAP by a clear margin.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Best man to man coverage corner in this draft is Perrish Cox, and he is also a strong hitter. Our defense can be much better if we add more man coverage players, and IMO Perrish Cox is the best at that, and we can get him in round two.

A key game to watch is Okalahoma St vs Georgia where he faced off against AJ Green and shut him down that day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's another Justin Miller. big hitter, fast. Questionable instincts and ball skills. unlike Miller, has had injury problems. I'd be Meh about this pick.

Id take perrish cox over him any day... even tho most rank jackson higher.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, not at 29. But he fits our scheme like a glove. If we trade down from our first and up form our second, I hope we target him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he's another Justin Miller. big hitter, fast. Questionable instincts and ball skills. unlike Miller, has had injury problems. I'd be Meh about this pick.

Id take perrish cox over him any day... even tho most rank jackson higher.
    Perrish Cox would be my 2nd corner after haden.

plus you get a guy in the return game.

with his charcter concerns i hope he drops at 61.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    I just don't see it happening to begin with

we have money tied into revis and probably more money tied into cromartie if he plays well this year I do't think we'll pay first round money to a nickle CB as opposed to replacing some of the big contract guys in the front 7 and our offensive line
    Yeah, and certainly wouldn't want him in the first - we must address the DL before selecting another CB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dominique Franks ftw.